Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Escape From New York: The Remake

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Escape From New York: The Remake

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
I love studio logic. One movie makes money, and all of a sudden it's because of one guy. Cause you know, Nia Vardolos was an emerging star because of My Big Fat Greek Wedding. And The Fast and the Furious was all because of Vin Diesel. And I don't even know what the excuse was on the Blair Witch Project...
But after Jurassic Park and Independence Day, didn't Jeff Goldblum become the #1 movie star in the world???
Old 03-15-07, 02:11 PM

At least they'd never remake Big Trouble in Little China. Right? I guess I should never say never.
Old 03-15-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about a Kurt disney flim like the computer that wore shoes.
Old 03-15-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by cranberries fan
By the way this is trend with remaking carpenter movies first The Fog, Halloween(Rob Zombie)and now Escape From New York.What's next The Thing?
You forgot Assault on Precinct 13, a remake of his 1979 version, which itself was loosely based on Rio Bravo.
Old 03-15-07, 04:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The people making these remakes are morally and creatively bankrupt. It's WRONG WRONG WRONG.

In honor of John Carpenter, I'm going to hold a mini-fest of his movies tonight. I'll watch Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing, Village of the Damned, and Ghosts of Mars.
Old 03-15-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cranberries fan
By the way this is trend with remaking carpenter movies first The Fog, Halloween(Rob Zombie)and now Escape From New York.What's next The Thing?
Funny you should say that....

They announced a plan to remake The Thing a couple months ago. Of course, considering it's one of the best (and my favorite) horror movies of all time I know for a fact it can't be done better. Bottin rules!
Old 03-15-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Funny you should say that....

They announced a plan to remake The Thing a couple months ago. Of course, considering it's one of the best (and my favorite) horror movies of all time I know for a fact it can't be done better. Bottin rules!

I agree, the effects still hold of very well today some 20+ years later.
Old 03-15-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NM, I'm an idiot.
Old 03-16-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
New Line cuffs 'Escape' redo
By Borys Kit
March 16, 2007

New Line Cinema has gotten the keys to the new "Escape From New York."

The remake of the cult John Carpenter movie, being produced by Neal Moritz with Gerard Butler attached to star as Snake Plissken, hit the town this week and had several studios trying to capture it. Bidding was aggressive because Butler was coming off the whopping $70 million opening for "300."

New Line had been positioning itself for warden status when it first sniffed out that the package was in the works two weeks ago.

Ken Nolan ("Black Hawk Down") will write the script, which will combine an origin story for Plissken merged with the story of the 1981 movie. The original film was set in a futuristic 1997, when Manhattan had been turned into a giant maximum-security prison. The U.S. president's plane crashed on the island, and Plissken, incarcerated for robbing a federal reserve bank, was coerced into a rescue mission.

The movie made a lasting impression on a generation of males and was followed by a sequel 16 years later, "Escape From L.A.," as well as a comic book miniseries in 2003.

Moritz and his Original Film became involved when he was working with "Escape" co-rights holder StudioCanal on another project. StudioCanal will control the European territories.

" 'Escape From New York' is iconic," StudioCanal vice chairman Frederic Sichler said. "It's a privilege to be a partner in this rebirth of Snake Plissken with John Carpenter, Neal Moritz and New Line. And to have Gerard Butler to revisit Snake is fantastic."

Said co-rights holder Carpenter, who will serve as an executive producer: "Snake is one of my fondest creations. Kurt Russell did an incredible job, and it would be fun to see someone else try."

Carpenter remains surprised that his movie holds a place in the minds of moviegoers, as does the Plissken character. "I just thought it was a futuristic action movie when I did it the first time. It was a script that I used to fulfill a contract. And Kurt was primarily known as a child actor, and I thought it might be interesting to see him in a role like that. ... There's something fun about (Plissken). I think Kurt borrowed the eye patch from Kirk Douglas in 'The Vikings' -- that's my suspicion."

Sichler and Ron Halpern, senior vp international production and remake development at Canal Plus, will be executive producers as will Original production executive Ori Marmur.

Original is in preproduction on Screen Gems' horror remake "Prom Night" and the Sony Pictures romantic comedy "Made of Honor."

Toby Emmerich, Richard Brener and Keith Goldberg are overseeing for New Line.

Butler and Nolan are repped by CAA.
Old 03-16-07, 09:59 AM

I think this is an interesting time to remake this; we have one of history's most unpopular Presidents ever sitting in the White House. I wonder what kind of President will be depicted on film?

Escape from New York is one of my top 20 favorite movies and LA is in my top 5 worst. I'll be interested to see a remake and after all - It's not like the original ceases to exist.
Old 03-23-07, 09:28 AM

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070322h.php

Various people have been vocal about the casting of Gerard Butler as Snake Plissken in the upcominig "Escape from New York" remake, and now the original star has weighed in.

Talking with Entertainment Weekly, actor Kurt Russell had some less than flattering things to say about Butler's casting - and the remake in general.

"When I was told who was going to play Snake Plissken, my initial reaction was ''Oh, man!'' [Russell winces]. I do think that character was quintessentially one thing. And that is, American...He's a fascinating character. In fact, he's the most complex character I've ever played" says Russell.

So no chance of a cameo by Russell? "F--- that! I am Snake Plissken! It's like Sean Connery always watching someone else do their version of Bond."
Old 03-23-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
With all due respect to Kurt Russell and the movie, Snake Plissken is hardly a "complex character".
Old 03-23-07, 11:06 AM
Banned

While i agree that Kurt Russell IS Snake and it is going to be near impossible to find someone who does that character half the justice it deserves, the film itself has room for vast improvement....
I personnally would love to see a much more epic film.
Old 03-23-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
With all due respect to Kurt Russell and the movie, Snake Plissken is hardly a "complex character".

Says you...others will disagree.
Old 03-23-07, 12:25 PM

What's next? A remake of Big Trouble in Little China???

[proverbial trailer announcer voice]Starring Leo Decaprio as Jack and Jet Li as Wang......in theaters Summer 2008[/proverbial trailer announcer voice]
Old 03-23-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like Escape From New York but liked Escape From LA. Normally I love John Carpenter's work, but the few times I've seen Escape From New York there just isn't enough momentum from me. I don't really know what to say about the remake...I don't have strong feelings against it, but I'm biased.
Old 03-23-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Escape from NY but I always thought Kurt Russell played Snake so serious it came off as laughable. I always thought it was supposed to be that way, and not actually seriously "cool".
Old 03-23-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I like Escape from NY but I always thought Kurt Russell played Snake so serious it came off as laughable. I always thought it was supposed to be that way, and not actually seriously "cool".
Agreed - the movie is extremely dated and takes itself WAY too seriously. It's more of a campy classic in my book.
Old 08-15-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to Variety, the director of the Escape from New York remake will be none other than ... Len Wiseman.

Let the booing begin ...
Old 08-15-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I don't like the idea of a remake, Len Wiseman doing it doesn't really change my opinion either way. They could have done much worse, but if they got someone better I still wouldn't be excited about it.
Old 08-15-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
You forgot Assault on Precinct 13, a remake of his 1979 version, which itself was loosely based on Rio Bravo.
I always looked at Ghosts of Mars as a loose remake of Assault on Precinct 13, which itself was loosely based on Rio Bravo.
Old 08-15-07, 11:55 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
According to Variety, the director of the Escape from New York remake will be none other than ... Len Wiseman.

Let the booing begin ...
why? i think he did a fantastic job with "Live Free or Die Hard", if he could make EFNY gritty and action packed as he did with DH, i'm on board. "Underworld" wasn't half bad, so i don't see the problem with him at all.
Old 08-15-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lame. Kurt IS Snake.
Old 08-15-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Joel Silver/Studio Canal To Reboot Escape From New York

Gerard Butler as Snake Plissken? He was good in 300, but I can't see him doing this role.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20051771,00.html

Wiseman tapped for Escape
Director Len Wiseman (Live Free or Die Hard) is in final negotiations to helm the upcoming New Line remake of Escape From New York, which stars Gerard Butler as Snake Plissken. John Carpenter, who directed the 1981 original, starring Kurt Russell as Snake, will serve as an executive producer on the remake. Black Hawk Down writer Ken Nolan is penning the script. The original was set in a futuristic 1998, after the island of Manhattan had been turned into a giant maximum-security prison. When the U.S. president's plane crashed on the island, authorities forced Plissken to go in and rescue him. The remake will start with Plissken's origin story before moving into the original movie's plot. Wiseman's Live Free or Die Hard has grossed more than $335 million worldwide. The director started out in production design before moving on to direct Underworld and Underworld: Evolution. (Variety)
Old 08-15-07, 08:18 PM

Why touch this classic,the original was awesome! Pretty soon,all of John Carpenters movies will be remade,they already have Halloween,The Fog,now Escape From NY annoucned.My guess,The Thing will be announced next which is my all time favorite Carpenter movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.