Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What changes would you make to a movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What changes would you make to a movie?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: What changes would you make to a movie?

I would recast John Conner in Terminator 2. I love that movie, but so many of Furlong's line deliveries are cringe-worthy. "There's no fate but what we make for ourseh-ulves!" He makes Arnold look like Daniel Day Lewis.
Old 02-26-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
^Fifth Element was way cheeseball and over-the-top long before Tucker showed up, IMO. I kind of liked his appearance.
Originally Posted by RichC2
Count me in as another that liked Tucker in 5th Element. He fit that world perfectly.
Me three. His role is just the logical evolution of media personality(or something).
Old 02-26-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

American Gigolo-After Julian Kay is locked up and they ask him, "Do you have anything to say?" He grimly replies, "No." Have it end there.

Tombstone-Have Mickey Rourke play Ringo. Michael Bein is a good actor, but he didn't seem as rough and evil as the other Cowboys. In every confrontation with Doc, you knew Michael Bein was going to lose.

Spider-man 3-Take out Venom, and have the focus be Harry Osborn and his deteriorating mental state, despite successfully running his father's company and being happily engaged as well. Harry uses Sandman to plague the city, keeping Spider-man busy while simultaneously terrorizing Peter and MJ. Pretty much the storyline from DeMatteis' Spectacular Spider-man run.

Dark Knight Rises-Take out Robin, or at least approach it differently than what was presented. Have Batman figure out a way to defeat Bane on their second encounter by using his intelligence and not just brute strength again, and finally have Batman actually die.
Old 02-26-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

The biggest problem with AI's ending is that the robots look like aliens. There's no synergy there because they look like classic "grey" aliens. They need to be slightly more mechanical looking.
Old 02-26-13, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
American Gigolo-After Julian Kay is locked up and they ask him, "Do you have anything to say?" He grimly replies, "No." Have it end there.

Tombstone-Have Mickey Rourke play Ringo. Michael Bein is a good actor, but he didn't seem as rough and evil as the other Cowboys. In every confrontation with Doc, you knew Michael Bein was going to lose.

Spider-man 3-Take out Venom, and have the focus be Harry Osborn and his deteriorating mental state, despite successfully running his father's company and being happily engaged as well. Harry uses Sandman to plague the city, keeping Spider-man busy while simultaneously terrorizing Peter and MJ. Pretty much the storyline from DeMatteis' Spectacular Spider-man run.

Dark Knight Rises-Take out Robin, or at least approach it differently than what was presented. Have Batman figure out a way to defeat Bane on their second encounter by using his intelligence and not just brute strength again, and finally have Batman actually die.
Wait, he didn't die?!? But there was no auto-pilot!

Old 02-26-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a biggie, but Goonies. It should have had ended with the kids sailing One-eyed Willie's pirate ship out of the cave and into the harbor... like one-eyed Willie intended.

Last edited by Jon2; 02-26-13 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

The after-credits scene in The Avengers should have been a reveal that Agent Coulson isn't really dead.
Old 02-26-13, 06:52 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
Not a biggie, but Goonies. It should have had ended with the kids sailing One-eyed Willie's pirate ship out of the cave and into the harbor... like one-eyed Willie intended.
Seconded! Here's one from a film that now dated, 2012 The DVD has an 'Alternate Ending" where you find out that the Cruise Ship Helmsley's Father was on survived the Megatsunami and has run aground on a small island. I would have ad the ship still afloat and on its own power encounter the arks. The Captain would say he has picked up radio messages of other ships that have survived the calamity.

Last edited by Regulus; 02-26-13 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do so many people seem to hate happy endings? Many of the suggestions seem to want well known movies that ended on a happy note to be changed to end on a downer. Why?
Old 02-26-13, 08:42 PM
Banned

Watchmen - I'd not have the cowardly ending and the killing of the only hero in the movie.
Batman Returns - I would have the Penguin live at the end
Titanic - I would have a lead male character that is more manly than the lead female character
Jurassic Park III - I wouldn't have killed the best dinosaur in the series
Toy Story 3 - I would have had the proper ending with Andy keeping the toys for his own kids someday
Cloverfield - I would have had a monster that was actually scary looking and didn't look like every other movie monsters we've seen
Old 02-26-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Why do so many people seem to hate happy endings? Many of the suggestions seem to want well known movies that ended on a happy note to be changed to end on a downer. Why?
I don't think people here in general want sad endings just for the sake of a having a sad ending. But most of the movies mentioned seemed to have themes that fit with a downer ending, rather than a happy ending. American Gigolo feels like it has 3 possible endings with the fade to black after each scene. AI kept tricking us as well, first with David committing suicide after killing someone just like him, and then his battery running out when asking Blue Fairy. Blade Runner's original ending seemed completely out of left field.

Another one from me. GODFATHER III. Bridget Fonda should have played Mary, and Ralph Macchio should have played Anthony.
Old 02-26-13, 11:08 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Alien 3 Newt would live. (I'm glad I never met the (Expletive Deleted) Producer of this movie, because if I did, quoting the late Victor French from an episode of Little House on the Prairie "I would have been overwhelmingly tempted to let my fists do the talking").
Old 02-27-13, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Wasn't it Fincher who ultimatly decided not to have Newt?
Old 02-27-13, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I would change the ending on Django Unchained to change the shoot-out outcome and
Spoiler:
keep Django in the house, cutting out the torture and mining company sequences in place of something more... dynamic?
I loved Django, but the problem with its third act goes back to the screenplay. The last thirty minutes or so needed a revision desperately.
Spoiler:
Everything should've wrapped up at Candie's house to begin with. The film's finale drags as the audiences has to see Django get tortured, taken away, and end up back at the house. While the film's final few minutes are exciting, they could've still existed if Tarantino made things tighter.

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Re: War of the Worlds

It is a Speilberg movie no way was that kid dying; I even expected it in the movie never once did I believe the kid was dead but it also ruins the movie for me and have not seen it since my original viewing.
War of the Worlds starts out as a fantastic action and sci-fi film. Once the audience is introduced to Tim Robbins' character, the entire film goes to shit. Once we see his dickhead of a teenage son alive again, the entire film has already been written off.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The biggest problem with AI's ending is that the robots look like aliens. There's no synergy there because they look like classic "grey" aliens. They need to be slightly more mechanical looking.
Yes and no. To everyone who thought they were aliens, clearly they weren't paying attention to the film.

She loves what you do for her, as my customers love what it is I do for them. But she does not love you David, she cannot love you. You are neither flesh, nor blood. You are not a dog, a cat, or a canary. You were designed and built specific, like the rest of us. And you are alone now only because they tired of you, or replaced you with a younger model, or were displeased with something you said, or broke. They made us too smart, too quick, and too many. We are suffering for the mistakes they made because when the end comes, all that will be left is us. That's why they hate us, and that is why you must stay here, with me.
The designs could've been something that was more practical and not all CGI. However, the ending the film has is way more ballsy than if the film ended on David underwater. Why? Because it ends the film on the note that everybody is fucking dead.
Old 02-27-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Almost any movie that ends up being all in a character's head or a dream.
Same with ambiguous ending movies. I think they are either A)lazy writing and copping out because the writers can’t figure out a way to end the movie or B)deliberate attempts to create some sort of buzz and/or controversy because they are afraid the rest of the movie isn’t good enough to stand on its own.

Alien 3 - Newt and Hicks live. It was like a slap in the face coming off the heels of what I consider one of the best movies and sequels ever.
Lethal Weapon 4 – better camera work and stuntmen so it isn’t so obvious it isn’t Mel in any of the action scenes.
Hangover 2 – less Zach G
The Avengers – more Thor, less Hawkeye and Black Widow.
Iron Man 2 – recast Whiplash
Old 02-27-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Almost any movie that ends up being all in a character's head or a dream.
Same with ambiguous ending movies. I think they are either A)lazy writing and copping out because the writers can’t figure out a way to end the movie or B)deliberate attempts to create some sort of buzz and/or controversy because they are afraid the rest of the movie isn’t good enough to stand on its own.
You must have really hated Mulholland Drive.
Old 02-27-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Regarding AI:

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

Yes and no. To everyone who thought they were aliens, clearly they weren't paying attention to the film.

The designs could've been something that was more practical and not all CGI. However, the ending the film has is way more ballsy than if the film ended on David underwater. Why? Because it ends the film on the note that everybody is fucking dead.
I am otherwise a fan of the film, and was enraptured while watching, but I still thought the creatures at the end were aliens.

The movie didn't need to be ballsy, it needed to be clearer that David was an early form of the later mechanical beings that would eventually inhabit the earth. Them finding David is like us finding the bones of Adam and Eve or such. It's already a depressing film, the way David is abandoned by his mother. It doesn't need to be "ballsy" and totally end on a downer, David has suffered enough, he has earned his reward.
Old 02-27-13, 10:14 AM
Suspended

Mad Dog ang Glory I would have Bill Murray and Robert DeNiro switch roles.
Old 02-27-13, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I think Iron Giant is perfect until the last few minutes. The Giant sacrificed himself to save the town. Not only is it extremely powerful ("Superman...") but it solves the logistical problem of this gigantic alien robot being on our planet.

Instead, we find out he survived...so now there's still a giant alien robot out there. It just pulls the weight out of the sacrifice that was the best way to end the film. It also reeks of "but it's a kids' movie!" which I hate. Not all kids movies need to be happy happy happy. I would have hacked the bedroom scene right off.
Old 02-27-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Sucker Punch- change the framing of the movie so it's not such a downer while you're trying to get into the escapist elements. Revealing from the get-go that Baby Doll gets lobotomized after all she's been through previously casts a shadow of gloom over all of it. Have the framing be about a bunch of girls on Spring Break who get stuck in a dive motel where it rains all the time, or live in an all girls dorm with a strict dorm mother (these were around during the movie's time period). Something more light hearted to keep with the movies other outlandish material.

Alien3- what everyone else has pretty much already said. It actually would have made logical sense in part 4 to say that 3 was a dream, given the way they spoke of it towards the end of the second one.
Old 02-27-13, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
I think Iron Giant is perfect until the last few minutes. The Giant sacrificed himself to save the town. Not only is it extremely powerful ("Superman...") but it solves the logistical problem of this gigantic alien robot being on our planet.

Instead, we find out he survived...so now there's still a giant alien robot out there. It just pulls the weight out of the sacrifice that was the best way to end the film. It also reeks of "but it's a kids' movie!" which I hate. Not all kids movies need to be happy happy happy. I would have hacked the bedroom scene right off.
I agree. There's no sacrifice if he survived. They want to have their cake and eat it too.
Old 02-27-13, 11:03 AM

War of the Worlds - The whole time when they were fleeing to Boston, I thought Cruise was lying to his daughter that the mom would actually be there safe and sound and was just trying to inspire her to keep going. I live in New Jersey myself, not far from where they lived. If Martians attacked, I would not be headed east towards the 2nd most populated area. The tone was far darker than the story beats that happen.

Collatteral - Cut Jada Pinkett-Smith's character entirely. The movie is perfect, but then it uses her to tie everything together conveniently.
Spoiler:

I get that Cruise was casing the joint at the opening, but out of all of the hundreds of people who must work in that building, he happened to pick the very person who got out of Foxx's cab?

And on top of that, that person just happens to be an attractive black girl who wants to date Foxx? The movie had a realism going until it tried to force a Hollywood romance.

And it always bugs me when there's a black leading character, and the other other black person they cast is a love interest. The moment a black girl walks onscreen you know they're going to end up together.
Old 02-27-13, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Mad Dog ang Glory I would have Bill Murray and Robert DeNiro switch roles.
I have to respectfully disagree. That's part of the movie's charm.

Watching Flight last night made me think about how a few edits would have made for a much more compelling movie.

Spoiler:
When Denzel picks up the mini-bottle in the adjacent hotel room and then puts it down, it should have immediately cut to the next day with Denzel coming out of his room with his shades on, calm, cool, collected, looking like he had beat his demons the night before.

He then proceeds to answer the questions at the hearing by lying, but as he slowly breaks down, we start the flashback process to show that he picked the bottle back up, and with each hesitation answering the questions, we see he drank more and more from the minibar. So that when he admits he's drunk right then and there, it flashes to his attorney finding him laying by the toilet.

I think bringing Goodman's character back in the end ruined the drama and made a serious situation goofy, so I would have kept his part at the end as a flashback only, just showing him providing the coke to get him back on his feet. I also think the last ten minutes was unnecessary. Once he admits he's an alcoholic, that's where it should have ended.
Old 02-27-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I would have ended THE DARK KNIGHT RISES without showing Bruce Wayne...just Alfred looking up and smiling
I know I'm probably a fanboy but to me that ending was pretty perfect. It seemed like so many people were dead set on Nolan killing Bruce/Batman at the end of The Dark Knight Rises. I personally never really bought into the idea that it would ever happen since The Dark Knight ended on a downer note. It made sense to me that after all Bruce had been through to give the film a happy ending. I really liked how it was done and let Bruce move on and live his life and passing down the mantle to Blake.
Old 02-27-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I know I'm probably a fanboy but to me that ending was pretty good...It made sense to me that after all Bruce had been through to give the film a happy ending. I really liked how it was done and let Bruce move on and live his life and passing down the mantle to Blake.
I'm a big Batman fan too but I found it hard to believe that Batman could ever leave Gotham behind. That's the contrast between terrorists like Bane and Talia who would die to punish/murder hundreds of thousands and Batman who is willing to die to save even one life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.