Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
re: Alita: Battle Angel (2019, EP: James Cameron, D: Robert Rodriguez)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Fucking haters. He's the Mexican version of George Lucas/John Carpenter
More like the Mexican version of Uwe Boll.

Last edited by inri222; 05-28-16 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-28-16, 11:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

^^^ Correct answer. But I his case, Uwe would have cranked out a few good films.
Old 05-28-16, 11:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mexican Francis Ford Coppola? Used to churn out great movies, but what has he done for me lately?
Old 05-28-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Mexican Francis Ford Coppola? Used to churn out great movies, but what has he done for me lately?
The only thing close to greatness RR has done is El Mariachi and that sure as hell ain't no Apocalypse Now.
Except for the Machete faux trailer, he hasn't put out anything decent since the 90's.
Old 05-28-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 05-28-16, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mariachi is cool for what he had.

Desperado rocked and

From Dusk Till Dawn is fun as hell.

I'll never see his kids movies. That last one he did though looked like shit. Wait. Well... Sharkboy and Lava Girl but I think he did another one after that too. Either way. His kids movies don't appeal to me.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico is pretty iffy for me.

Sin City is the fucking bomb though.

Grindhouse was awesome as fuck.

Machete was entertaining but it was kind of flat too. Also.. I'm still fucking waiting for that jam packed home video release he promised. Fuck you, Rodriguez.

Sin City 2 bore the fuck out of me.

Still haven't seen Machete 2.

Haven't seen The Faculty in years... I liked it 15 years ago or whenever I saw it.. I don't remember much about it though aside from hot teacher Hayek, T-1000, and some other things in there.

He's really iffy for me now. Not to say I can't see him making a damn good flick again but... I'm not all that fascinated w/ RR on this one. Cameron was the sell. RR... not so much. I'm still game, I guess.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-28-16 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel' Casts Jackie Earle Haley (Exclusive)
SEPTEMBER 14, 2016 11:54am PT by Borys Kit

Jackie Earle Haley has signed on to join the cast of Alita: Battle Angel, James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez’s ambitious adaptation of the popular manga graphic novels.

Fox is moving toward a fall start and is casting up the large-budget sci-fi project, which has Maze Runner actress Rosa Salazar on board to play the title character, as well as Christoph Waltz.

Rodriguez is directing, while Cameron and his Lightstorm Entertainment partner Jon Landau are producing.

Set in the 26th century, Alita tells of a female cyborg (Salazar) that is discovered in a scrapyard by a scientist. With no memory of her previous life except her deadly martial-arts training, the woman becomes a bounty hunter, tracking down criminals. The action-adventure story is meant to serve as a backdrop to themes of self-discovery and the search for love.

Sources were light on character information, but it is believed Haley will play a monstrous cyborg in a villain role that will call for plenty of CG and greenscreen.

An October production start in Austin is being targeted.

Haley is coming off a notable run on AMC’s Preacher and recently wrapped Sony’s adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower with Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey. He next will be seen in the much-talked about race drama The Birth of a Nation.

Haley is repped by Gersh.
Old 09-30-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

SEPTEMBER 30, 2016 10:25am PT by Borys Kit
'Nashville' Actor Nabs Key Role in 'Alita: Battle Angel' (Exclusive)

Keean Johnson has joined the James Cameron sci-fi film in the highly-coveted part opposite Rosa Salazar.

After an intense search, Fox has found the love interest for Alita: Battle Angel, James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez’s adaptation of the popular manga graphic novels.

Keean Johnson, best known for his work on ABC’s Nashville, has nabbed the highly-coveted part opposite Rosa Salazar, the actress who is playing the titular character in Twentieth Century Fox’s big-budget sci-fi project.

Christoph Waltz, Jackie Earl Haley and Ed Skrein are already on the call sheet. Rodriguez is directing and Cameron producing with his partner Jon Landau.

Set in the 26th century, Alita tells of a female cyborg (Salazar) that is discovered in a scrapyard by a scientist. With no memory of her previous life except her deadly martial-arts training, the woman becomes a bounty hunter, tracking down criminals.

Johnson will play Hugo, a young man who teaches Alita how to play a gladiator-style game called Motorball but who also has a secret side job of stealing robot parts.

The studio did at least two rounds testing for the part, all of them taking place in Rodriguez’s studio facility in Austin. Among those that tested were Tut star Avan Jogia, Douglas Booth (Jupiter Ascending), Jack Lowden (who will be seen in Christopher Nolan’s upcoming war drama Dunkirk), and Noah Silver, one of the stars of TVs Tyrant.

In the end, the filmmakers and studio went with a route that called for an “ethnically ambiguous” actor and the fresh-faced Johnson fit the bill.

Johnson, who also had stint on the Freeform show The Fosters, is repped by Innovative Artists, Impression Entertainment, and Sloane Offer.
Old 10-03-16, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OCTOBER 03, 2016 12:04pm PT by Borys Kit
'Luke Cage' Villain Mahershala Ali in Talks to Join James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel' (Exclusive)

Robert Rodriguez will direct the sci-fi action movie.

Mahershala Ali, who plays the villain known as Cottonmouth on Marvel’s Netflix series Luke Cage, is in negotiations to join the growing cast of Fox’s Alita: Battle Angel.

Rosa Salazar, Christoph Waltz, Jackie Earl Haley, Ed Skrein and Keann Johnson are on the call sheet for James Cameron’s long-in-the-works adaptation of the manga graphic novels.

Cameron is producing with his Lightstorm Entertainment partner Jon Landau with Robert Rodriguez, the filmmaker behind the Sin City and Spy Kids movies, in the director’s chair.

Set in the 26th century, Alita tells of a female cyborg (Salazar) that is discovered in a scrapyard by a scientist. With no memory of her previous life except her deadly martial-arts training, the woman becomes a bounty hunter, tracking down criminals.

Ali will play one of the movie’s villains, a man named Vector who runs and fixes matches in a gladiator-style combat game called Motorball.

Shooting is due to begin this month in Austin, Texas.

Fox had no comment.

Ali, who is one of co-stars on Netflix’s House of Cards, has a busy fall lined up: He appears in the much-buzzed about gay drama, Moonlight, and also appears in Hidden Figures, Fox’s period drama about black women in the early days of the NASA space program. That movie, which stars Octavia Spencer and Taraji P. Henson, will have a qualifying awards run in December before opening wide on Jan. 17, 2017.

Ali is repped by WME and Anonymous Content.
Old 10-07-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OCTOBER 07, 2016 4:13pm PT by Mia Galuppo
Robert Rodriguez is directing the manga adaptation, which begins production this month.
Alita: Battle Angel has enlisted newcomer Jorge Lendeborg Jr. to join it's growing ranks.

Robert Rodriguez will direct the adaptation of the popular manga that follows a young female cyborg in the 26th century. Rosa Salazar will star as the cyborg, who is found by a scientist in a junk yard with no memories of her past and goes on to become a bounty hunter.

Also set to appear are Christoph Waltz, Ed Skrein, Mahershala Ali and Keean Johnson, who is playing the romantic interest to Salazar's cyborg. The Fox action-adventure begins shooting this month in Austin.

Lendeborg will play the cunning and sly friend of Johnson's character.

James Cameron is producing Alita with his Lightstorm Entertainment partner Jon Landau.

Recently, Lendeborg landed a role in another big, upcoming blockbuster — Sony/Marvel's Spiderman: Homecoming. He previously starred in the Sundance-selected coming-of-age feature The Land.

He is repped by Momentum and Mosaic.
At some point there will be an Asian person in this?
Old 10-07-16, 08:32 PM
Banned by request

Yes, Michelle Rodriguez will be in it.
Old 10-11-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

‘X-Men’ Star Lana Condor Joins James Cameron’s ‘Alita: Battle Angel’
Film Reporter Dave McNary
OCTOBER 11, 2016 | 02:02PM PT

Lana Condor, who made her film debut as Jubilee in “X-Men: Apocalypse,” has been cast in James Cameron’s “Alita: Battle Angel” opposite Rosa Salazar, Jackie Earle Haley, Eisa Gonzalez and Christoph Waltz.

Robert Rodriguez is directing and Cameron will produce with Jon Landau through his Lightstorm Entertainment banner. Cameron and Laeta Kalogridis will write the screenplay, based on Yukito Kishiro’s manga series.

The story is set in a 26th-century dystopian future and follows an amnesiac cyborg who’s rescued from a scrap heap and becomes a bounty hunter tracking down criminals. Fox has already set a July 20, 2018, release date for “Alita: Battle Angel.”

Condor will play Koyomi in the film. In the manga, Koyomi is an orphaned teen with connections to several characters.

Condor has also been cast in Mark Wahlberg’s “Patriots Day” as an MIT graduate student who is the girlfriend of MIT police officer Sean Collier — who was shot to death three days after the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing by either Dzhokhar Tsarnaev or Tamerlan Tsarnaev. Lionsgate will release “Patriots Day” on Dec. 21.

Condor is represented by ICM Partners and Stone, Genow, Smelkinson, Binder & Christopher.
Bingo.
Old 10-11-16, 07:53 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
At some point there will be an Asian person in this?
No. Emma Stone is unavailable.
Old 02-02-17, 03:23 PM
Banned by request

Looks like Rodriguez is about to start filming his next bomb, and he's seeking "edgy" extras. Oh Rodriguez, you're too cool.

http://kxan.com/2017/01/31/robert-ro...ras-in-austin/

Robert Rodriguez film seeking ‘edgy’ extras in Austin

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Are you an edgy skater who happens to have a hip emo look? If you don’t know what any of that means, applying to be an extra for the new Robert Rodriguez film may not be for you.

Third Coast Extras is looking for adults of all ages for the paid extra positions in the upcoming film “Alita: Battle Angel,” directed by Rodriguez and produced by James Cameron. It’s your very own chance to rub shoulders with — or stare at from far across set — top actors like Mahershala Ali and Christoph Waltz.

Depending on the look needed for specific scenes, you would either be used for one day or several days. Shooting in Austin will take place on Feb. 3, 6 and 7.

You’re asked to include your name, phone number, location, height/weight and attach “plenty of clear, well-lit, high resolution current photos” of both close-ups and full length, as well as your clothing sizes (listed here).

There are some restrictions before you get your look together and head out the door. Extras must be Texas residents with a valid Texas ID who live in or near Austin. All electronic devices, including phones, are collected for the entire day on set. Extras will likely only be able to use their phone once in a 12-hour period.

Extras are paid $25 for a fitting and $101.52 per 12 hours of shooting, with overtime kicking in after that.

Still interested? E-mail [email protected] with the subject line “RODRIGUEZ EXTRA.”
Old 02-07-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jennifer Connelly Joins James Cameron’s ‘Alita: Battle Angel’
Dave McNary Film Reporter @Variety_DMcNary
FEBRUARY 7, 2017 | 11:22AM PT

Jennifer Connelly has been cast in James Cameron’s “Alita: Battle Angel” opposite Rosa Salazar, Jackie Earle Haley, Eiza Gonzalez, Lana Condor, Mahershala Ali, Ed Skrein, and Christoph Waltz.

Robert Rodriguez is directing and Cameron is producing with Jon Landau through his Lightstorm Entertainment banner. Cameron and Laeta Kalogridis wrote the screenplay, based on Yukito Kishiro’s manga series. The film is currently shooting in Texas.

The story is set in a 26th-century dystopian future and follows an amnesiac cyborg — played by Salazar — who’s rescued from a scrap heap and becomes a bounty hunter tracking down criminals. Fox has already set a July 20, 2018, release date for “Alita: Battle Angel.”

Connelly is playing one of the villains in “Alita.” She was last seen opposite Ewan McGregor in the drama “American Pastoral,” which was released in October, and is one of the leads in the firefighting drama “Granite Mountain,” which Lionsgate will release in September.

Cameron began developing the movie more than a decade ago with an eye to directing. He and Rodriguez announced in October 2015, that Rodriguez would direct. Cameron has also been in pre-production on the four “Avatar” sequels.

Connelly is repped by CAA.
Old 12-08-17, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

<iframe width="760" height="515" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WoWGLEvcIiQ" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hollywood isn’t ready to give up on live-action anime or manga just yet. Alita: Battle Angel is one of the industry’s next attempts at the genre, and a teaser trailer for the Robert Rodriguez film has dropped.

Right now, it looks like Alita: Battle Angel will get its full trailer released tomorrow. 20th Century Fox’s tweet says “her journey begins tomorrow,” so fans will want to keep their eyes peeled for the feature.
Old 12-08-17, 08:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope Robert Rodriguez doesn't f' this thing up. He hasn't made anything worthwhile since the original Sin City. At least James Cameron's name in the credits gives me hope that this won't be some campy movie like Machete.
Old 12-08-17, 08:39 AM
Banned by request

It won’t be campy, but this won’t make any waves. Probably as much as Ghost in the Shell or less.
Old 12-08-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Depends on how they sell it. GitS was being sold on okay visuals and ScarJo's namesake and little else. They really did a shit job of trying to sell the plot or world of that franchise.
Old 12-08-17, 08:58 AM
Banned by request

I just don’t see that happening. I can see Rodriguez pimping this at SXSW 2018 with Cameron (provided he can make time from his oh so busy schedule), they screen it, people going nuts over it thinking it’s one of the best sci-fi movies ever, and ends up being mediocre and barely getting by over $100M. It’s Rodriguez, he knows no other way to market his movies.
Old 12-08-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I just hope it isn't another one of his Gonzo nu-B movies like Machete and Planet Terror.

I don't see a movie with a potential $200m budget getting pimped at SXSW. Though I think the budget is why Cameron had Rodriguez hired, hes known to work well with low budgets so I assume this wound up substantially lower budget than that.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-08-17 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Having Camerons name linked to a Sci-fi movie does not guarantee box office success, Solaris and Strange Days being examples (shame as i really love both). As people have said, this will be another Ghost in the Shell. Shame really.
Old 12-08-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm down since I like RR anyway. With Cameron added to the mix -- should be cool.
Old 12-08-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Old 12-08-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I think I'll just watch the anime again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.