Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a director that you love, but you haven't seen all of their movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is there a director that you love, but you haven't seen all of their movies?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is there a director that you love, but you haven't seen all of their movies?

I really want to see Sam Raimi's Crimewave

There are more Walter Hill films I haven't seen than I care to mention.

Friedkin's The Guardian
Old 01-06-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts
Re: Is there a director that you love, but you haven't seen all of their movies?

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I haven't seen some of the latest Gilliam films, like Tideland and what-not. There was a time when such a thing was unthinkable.
Same here. I also have yet to see The Ladykillers by the Coens, but I really have no interest in it.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
...that one what with Nick Cage I can't remember. The ambulance. Poop.
Bringing Out The Dead, which is well worth a watch for Ving Rhames' scenes alone. It's one of my favorites from both Scorsese and Cage, although I am not much of a fan of either.
Old 01-06-13, 10:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure, plenty.
Old 01-07-13, 12:00 AM
Suspended

Woody Allen but the guy releases like two movies a year it seems I can't keep up.

I like Robert Rodriguez but do you seriously think I'm going to watch Spy Kids 2-5? I saw the first and that was enough.
Old 01-07-13, 12:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
Bringing Out The Dead, which is well worth a watch for Ving Rhames' scenes alone. It's one of my favorites from both Scorsese and Cage, although I am not much of a fan of either.
The first time I watched this film was in my early 20's, by myself, at about 2 or 3 in the morning. It may have purely been because of those specific factors, but I absolutely loved it.
Old 01-07-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminal
Kubrick - Barry Lyndon
Originally Posted by Autotelik
Kubrick: Barry Lyndon
Have to correct this. It starts slow and is slow, but it's sarcastic as hell and it hits you in the gut after you finish. Plus it's one of the most beautiful looking movies ever. My favorite Kubrick and in my top ten.
Old 01-07-13, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I still have one Billy Wilder to go: THE EMPEROR WALTZ.

I still have two Robert Aldrich films to go: THE BIG LEAGUER (his first) and THE KILLING OF SISTER GEORGE.

Hitchcock: I still have UNDER CAPRICORN, STAGE FRIGHT and I CONFESS to go.

Kurosawa: I've seen a lot but still have at least a dozen more to see.

Ozu: I've seen eight or nine, but still have all the rest.

John Ford: He made so many films and I've seen most of them, but there are still over a dozen of his sound films I've yet to see and many more silents.
Old 01-07-13, 09:43 AM

Sadly, most of my directors are like this. I have so many directors that I'm working through, I tend to randomly pick at each one. Over time I end up seeing bigger chunks of a director's filmography, but unless I go crazy obsessive over somebody's work, there will be some stragglers out there.

Last year I decided I wanted to see all of Kurosawa's movies. I caught about everything aside from a couple that were never released in the US. I skipped The Quiet Duel because it was out of print so it was expensive, and also bailed early on The Idiot because it was butchered, and both movies aren't so well regarded.

Then most directors have an early movie they used to pay their dues before they came into their own. Four Rooms came up a few times here, and it's my only Tarantino I never saw as well. I'll see it, but it's got a bad reputation, and the only reason I'll see it is to be able to say I've seen all of Tarantino's movies. It's the same reason I skipped Cronenberg's Fast Company.

Then you get great directors with some clunkers. I want to see more Coppola films, but odds are I'll never be able to bring myself to see Jack.

So if you do decide to explore a director's full filmography, it ends up being a chore but can be rewarding.
Old 01-07-13, 10:10 AM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Interesting to see Hitch and Spielberg on here a few times. I'll add to that, on both counts:

While I've seen quite a bit of early and late Hitchcock through a college film course on him, there's still a few flicks at both ends of his career I haven't seen yet.

I was going to say I have quite a few unseen with Spielberg but when I check out his filmography I'm surprised I've seen most all of them. I still haven't seen Sugarland Express, War Horse, or Lincoln and that's it (aside from his TV credits). There are some I haven't seen since I was young or only once and don't have much recollection of like The Color Purple, Always, and 1941 and I should give them another try.

Oh, and despite the Stanley Kubrick Collection being the first DVDs I ever bought, even before I had a DVD player, I still haven't seen Barry Lyndon. It's been on the shelf. If someone wants to sell me on finally watching it without chastising me for not having any interest in the last fifteen years, by all means.
Old 01-07-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

I'm actually having a difficult time coming up with names of directors whose entire filmography I have seen. Wes Anderson is the only one of my favorites I can think of, but then I'm not sure if I've ever seen the short film version of Bottle Rocket. As far as other favorites and the films I haven't seen:

Alfred Hitchcock: More than I can even name. I haven't seen any of the silents, nor have I seen anything post The Birds. There's also a few in between I haven't seen like Spellbound, The Trouble With Harry, or I Confess to name a few.

Werner Herzog: Again, more than I can even name. I own almost all of them on dvd and have been slowly working my way through, but when you include all of the documentaries and shorts, there's more than 50. I'm just glad that just about all of them are easily available.

David Lynch: The Elephant Man, Dune, The Straight Story, or Inland Empire. This is the one that's most surprising to me since I went through a serious Lynch phase about 7 or 8 years ago even going so far as to drop $50 a piece on Eraserhead and the short films disc he made available on his website. I have owned the dvd of Inland Empire since it was released and tried to watch it once, but I fell asleep and have never revisited.

Stanley Kubrick: Fear and Desire, Killer's Kiss, Spartacus, Lolita, or Barry Lyndon. Barry Lyndon is the only one I'm really embarassed about, but I'll see them all eventually.

Jackie Chan: Obviously not known as a director, but if you look at his filmography, all of his best stuff was self directed. The only one I've never seen is Chinese Zodiac, which just came out (and supposedly is not very good).

John Woo: Nothing pre-A Better Tomorrow other than Last Hurrah for Chivalry although to be honest, his early comedies are tough to find and not particulary appealing to me. I also haven't got around to Red Cliff part II yet.

Quentin Tarantino: I don't think I've ever seen Four Rooms.

Christopher Nolan: Insomnia. I've seen the original version many times and just never felt the need to see the remake.

Terrence Malick: Badlands, The New World, and whatever his newest one is called.

David Fincher: Panic Room, Benjamin Button, Dragon Tatoo
Old 01-07-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Oh damn I forgot about Spartacus.
Old 01-07-13, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Oh damn I forgot about Spartacus.
I'm still wishing for a CC BD of that film. I can't bring myself to watch whatever the fuck Universal did to it. I'd rather not watch it at all.
Old 01-07-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah I'll stick with my Criterion DVD for now. I'm pretty sure I saw most if it in class or something.
Old 01-07-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

David Cronenberg. Love his work to death but there are quite a few flicks of his that I have not seen. Have not seen Scanners, The Brood, Rabid, Fast Company, M. Butterfly, or A Dangerous Method. Funny enough I own Dangerous Method and it's still in the shrinkwrap.
Old 01-07-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BARRY LYNDON is awesome. I'm sad that I never made the effort to see it on the big screen. I've seen it on cable a few times and it gets better every time I see it. But you need to be in the right mood for it, more relaxed and patient.
Old 01-07-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lots of them.

Spielberg is definitely one of my favorites, but I haven't seen:

Sugarland Express
Color Purple
Empire of the Sun
Amistad
Tintin--sort of. I fell asleep soon after it started and have no interest in trying to watch it again.

I have no interest in Amistad or Color Purple. I've been meaning to watch Empire of the Sun, 1941 and Sugarland Express, but just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 01-07-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
Sadly, most of my directors are like this. I have so many directors that I'm working through, I tend to randomly pick at each one. Over time I end up seeing bigger chunks of a director's filmography, but unless I go crazy obsessive over somebody's work, there will be some stragglers out there.

Last year I decided I wanted to see all of Kurosawa's movies. I caught about everything aside from a couple that were never released in the US. I skipped The Quiet Duel because it was out of print so it was expensive, and also bailed early on The Idiot because it was butchered, and both movies aren't so well regarded.

Then most directors have an early movie they used to pay their dues before they came into their own. Four Rooms came up a few times here, and it's my only Tarantino I never saw as well. I'll see it, but it's got a bad reputation, and the only reason I'll see it is to be able to say I've seen all of Tarantino's movies. It's the same reason I skipped Cronenberg's Fast Company.

Then you get great directors with some clunkers. I want to see more Coppola films, but odds are I'll never be able to bring myself to see Jack.

So if you do decide to explore a director's full filmography, it ends up being a chore but can be rewarding.
Yup, there are alot of good directors that have some turds in their filmography. I try to at least watch the good ones.
Fast Company is one that comes to mind. I have seen all of Cronenbergs films and they are all great except for that one.
I have seen all of David Lynch's films and love them all, but I refuse to watch Dune.
Old 01-07-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Charles Laughton is my favorite director; still haven't seen Night of the Hunter.

And Tideland isn't divisive because it's disturbing; it's divisive because some people (like me) find it to be incredibly dull.
Old 01-07-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Charles Laughton is my favorite director; still haven't seen Night of the Hunter.

(Very good.)
Old 01-07-13, 01:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Lots of them.

Spielberg is definitely one of my favorites, but I haven't seen:

Sugarland Express
Color Purple
Empire of the Sun
Amistad
Tintin--sort of. I fell asleep soon after it started and have no interest in trying to watch it again.

I have no interest in Amistad or Color Purple. I've been meaning to watch Empire of the Sun, 1941 and Sugarland Express, but just haven't gotten around to it.

The made us watch Color Purple in school. It's pretty good. 1941 comes on HBO every now and then it's a mess.
Old 01-07-13, 03:25 PM

Bob Zemeckis: Haven't seen his computer efforts (just don't like how they look) and Cast Away
Old 01-07-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I have no interest in Amistad or Color Purple.
Amistad can be skipped, but Color Purple should be watched. Just because Whoopi and Oprah are in it doesn't mean they're playing the people you now know them as.

To Ash and rocket1312, I hope you guys get surprised by I Confess as I did. I watched that back to back with The Wrong Man and thought I Confess was superior...Even though Wrong Man appears to get much more praise.
Old 01-07-13, 03:41 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It's strange actually. When it comes to my most favorite directors there is always a few films I haven't seen (Kubrick, Bergman, Kurosawa, Lean, Fuller), but then there are some directors who I wouldn't count among my favorites yet I've seen all thier films (like David Fincher, James Cameron).

It's hard for me to even think of a director that I consider my favorite and who I've seen all his films. I think I've seen every Tarkovsky feature. But in his case it's easier because he made very few films. Same thing for Malick. I've seen all his films, but what is that 5 films?

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-08-13 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Bringing Out the Dead is great. It takes place in a dirty, miserable place. And you really feel it. I think that was a big turnoff to a lot of people. But I love it.
Old 01-07-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I still have one Billy Wilder to go: THE EMPEROR WALTZ.
I've seen them all and that's his worst.

Barry Lyndon is a masterpiece but people who haven't seen it are now going to have sky high expectations.

Tideland is a piece of shit and I like Gilliam.

More interesting question is which directors have you seen all of their films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.