Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
21.15%
25.64%
33.33%
10.26%
4.49%
1.28%
0.64%
0.64%
0%
0%
0.64%
DjanNo Unchained
1.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-12, 11:20 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Django Unchained" (Starring: Jaime Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christoph Waltz, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Dennis Christopher)

Release Date:
12/25/2012

Rating:
R (for strong graphic violence throughout, a vicious fight, language and some nudity throughout)

Running Time:
165min. (2h. 45m.)

Budget:
$83 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Former dentist, Dr. King Schultz, buys the freedom of a slave, Django, and trains him with the intent to make him his deputy bounty hunter. Instead, he is led to the site of Django's wife who is under the hands of Calvin Candie, a ruthless plantation owner.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.8 (10,476 votes as of 1/21/13)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:184 Rotten:25 (88% as of 1/21/13)

Metacritic:
81 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 1/21/13)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/64652"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/64652" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="344"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
Spoiler:
Old 12-24-12, 10:30 AM

Re: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

gonna see this Wed. can't wait!
Old 12-24-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Seeing it tomorrow morning, first showing. I'm also reserving a spot in my top 10 list for it. QT has never let me down.
Old 12-25-12, 01:25 PM

who saw it and can report back?
Old 12-25-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Going tonight
Old 12-25-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I just came back from seeing this with a predominantly black audience. I suspect that their opinions on Tarantino’s achievement would be quite a 180-degree turn away from Spike Lee’s. I don’t know of any other filmmaker today who would have made such a bold and audacious film about America’s racial history, certainly not Mr. Lee. Granted, it’s a total historical fantasy, in much the same way that INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS was, only more so. Sure there are contrivances and maybe DiCaprio's not a formidable enough presence for such a juicy villain’s role (but he IS as good as he can be). But, my God, does this film pack a punch. And Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson give truly courageous performances. I wish black critics would use this opportunity to talk about their roles and those of some of the other supporting black characters, but I’m sure they’d be afraid of opening old wounds and old divisions in the history of intra-black relationships in America. Tarantino shows no such fear and he should be given credit for that. And I suspect that more people in the audience I saw it with found themselves identifying with Jackson’s “hated Negro” than would care to admit it.

And it’s a damned funny and entertaining film, to boot. The trailers I've seen don't reveal even a fraction of the richness this film has to offer.

Oh, and for you actor-spotters out there, look carefully for: James Russo, James Remar, Bruce Dern, Don Stroud, Tom Wopat, Lee Horsley, Robert Carradine, Russ Tamblyn, and Michael Parks, to name a few. Much harder to spot: Zoe Bell. Oh, and the original Django himself, Franco Nero.

Easily the best of the year for me. I sincerely hope it gets nominated for Best Picture and that Christoph Waltz leads the pack of actor nominees. (Did Tarantino tailor his dialogue to Waltz's wonderful cadence, or is Waltz simply the perfect actor for Tarantino's baroque dialogue?)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-27-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-25-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
who saw it and can report back?
Saw it for a second time. Great movie, but about 20 minutes could definitely have been cut off. It still feels like it lasts forever, although that forever being very enjoyable.

I still felt like the movie was going to end about 3 times. I also really hate the cameo from the director....it's distracting.

But those are minor beefs. Christmas Day 12 noon showing was packed in my theater. Surprising to me being that early in the day on a major holiday.

Django Unchained was everything I hoped it would be. It felt like an event movie.....I guess the way some people feel about Dark Knight etc.

Last edited by Throwing Copper; 12-25-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-25-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Saw it this morning at a sold out show. It was stellar. Waltz and DiCaprio should be nominated for Oscars. Samuel Jackson was a goddamn a
Spoiler:
Kaizer Soze
if there ever was one.

I do hope QT released that 4hr cut he was talking about. There's definitely more to certain characters than meets the eye. I know damn well there had to have been more to
Spoiler:
Zoe Bell's character than what was shown. She plays the masked bandit.
Old 12-25-12, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I just came back from seeing this with a predominantly black audience. I suspect that their opinions on Tarantino’s achievement would be quite a 180-degree turn away from Spike Lee’s. I don’t know of any other filmmaker today who would have made such a bold and audacious film about America’s racial history, certainly not Mr. Lee. Granted, it’s a total historical fantasy, in much the same way that INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS was, only more so. Sure there are contrivances and maybe Di Caprio's not a formidable enough presence for such a juicy villain’s role (but he IS as good as he can be). But, my God, does this film pack a punch. And Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson give truly courageous performances. I wish black critics would use this opportunity to talk about their roles and those of some of the other supporting black characters, but I’m sure they’d be afraid of opening old wounds and old divisions in the history of intra-black relationships in America. Tarantino shows no such fear and he should be given credit for that. And I suspect that more people in the audience I saw it with found themselves identifying with Jackson’s “hated Negro” than would care to admit it.

And it’s a damned funny and entertaining film, to boot. The trailers I've seen don't reveal even a fraction of the richness this film has to offer.

Oh, and for you actor-spotters out there, look carefully for: James Russo, James Remar, Bruce Dern, Don Stroud, Tom Wopat, Lee Horsley, Robert Carradine, Russ Tamblyn, and Michael Parks, to name a few. Much harder to spot: Zoe Bell. Oh, and the original Django himself, Franco Nero.

Easily the best of the year for me. I sincerely hope it gets nominated for Best Picture and that Christoph Waltz leads the pack of actor nominees. (Did Tarantino tailor his dialogue to Waltz's wonderful cadence, or is Waltz simply the perfect actor for Tarantino's baroque dialogue?)
Reading the script, it read like he tailored it to Waltz method of speech and manner. Which was an exciting read for that character cuz I assume it played out the same as well. I'm seeing this Thursday.
Old 12-25-12, 06:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got back from a sold out screening. It was very good, but one of Tarantino's weaker efforts. I didn't feel all that connected to the characters. Still, Waltz and DiCaprio were both excellent and the action, when it happens, is shocking.

Not my favorite of the year, but may end up on my final year end list.
Old 12-25-12, 06:55 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Samuel L Jackson gave the strongest performance in the movie, and it would be criminal for him not to garner any nominations (as I suspect). I'm still trying to reflect on all the mind blowing shit I saw, but placing it as the year's best is a no-brainer for me. I will go back in a few days to see it with a larger audience (horrible snow and windstorm today). I've got to get my hands on that soundtrack!
Old 12-25-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Thought the movie was picture-perfect leading up to the discussion of "Old Ben". But then things got a lil' too zany towards the long climax. Though this may have resulted in Django Unchained to not enter my top 3 Tarantino films, at least it makes up for being at hand to witness the ancestry of the Shaft family
(The name, "Von Shaft" not being much of a coincidence--According to QT).

No surprises on how awesome Waltz and Leo turned out, but I was certainly pleased by Foxx (Maybe up until the last 5 minutes where he got too contemporary) and I was glad that Kerry ended up getting more screentime that I was led to believe thanks to many online reviews (Her presence is felt all throughout)

Oh and for those who weren't looking forward to hearing rap tunes on a western, the tracks seemed to run as long as "Nobody but me" did on Kill Bill (Phew!)

So yeah, the only setbacks I had with the film is it's never-ending conclusion and, perhaps it finally hit a sensitive nerve, the N-word overload (It got to a point when I was even hoping...PRAYING..That different slurs could've been used down the stretch at Candyland)
Everything else was gold. Major honorable mention to the opening credits giving emphasis to Balcalov,Morricone, and Franco Nero!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 12-25-12 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-25-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Reading the script, it read like he tailored it to Waltz method of speech and manner. Which was an exciting read for that character cuz I assume it played out the same as well. I'm seeing this Thursday.
Is the script circulating on the web anywhere? I need to reacquaint myself with some of those awesome lines Waltz delivers. I didn't take notes and there was so much good stuff I couldn't retain much. The one line I remember that cracked me up (and still does) is one he says to some newly-freed-from-their-chains slaves: "If any of you are astronomy aficionados, the North Star is up there." But you gotta hear it out of Waltz's mouth and in the context of the scene.
Old 12-25-12, 07:17 PM
Banned by request

By the way, despite never having seen the original Django, the Franco Nero cameo was pretty obvious. They literally spell it out for you.
Old 12-25-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the script circulating on the web anywhere?
http://twcguilds.com/assets/screenpl...screenplay.pdf
Old 12-25-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This movie pulled about $13m on Christmas, which is tremendous for a 3 hour, R-rated, racially charged spaghetti western.

I had no idea Inglourious Basterds grossed $320m+ worldwide. That's pretty surprising, I love the movie but it strikes me as an almost anti-blockbuster.
Old 12-25-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, thanks!

A quick look over it reveals many scenes that didn't make it into the final cut, including a very lengthy sequence introducing the audience to Calvin Candie (Di Caprio's character).

Also, I realize that a lot of Schultz's lines sound much less colorful on paper than they do when spoken by Waltz.
Old 12-25-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Didn't spot Wopat.
Didn't spot Savini (I guess he was one of the hoods)
Didn't recognize Stroud (At all!)
I thought Tamblyn was Parks.

I know we all love Remar, but I thought it was a little disorientating to see him in 2 roles. When he stares at Django (As Candy's bodyguard) he seems to say "Didn't you get me killed at the beginning of the movie?

And who was Kevin Costner supposed to play? Big Daddy? (Don Johnson did a swell job, btw)
Old 12-25-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Savini was with the dog trainers, Costner was supposed to play the person in charge of the Mandingos but the cast was condensed down and combined with Walter Goggin's.

I saw it earlier tonight and loved every second of it, then again, I'm a Tarantino fanboy. I did miss some of the stuff from the script, the middle portion is missing the most. Greenville is a very small part of the movie, and all the stuff with Scotty Harmony was missing (in fact, the records book scene had Candie buying Broomhilda, so I guess Tarantino cut out that scene before filming).

Waltz and Leo should get nominations, but probably only one will. Jamie Foxx was great as well, really nailed the character that was on the page.
Old 12-25-12, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Thought the movie was picture-perfect leading up to the discussion of "Old Ben". But then things got a lil' too zany towards the long climax.
These are just about my thoughts exactly. This felt like we were watching the BluRay of the extended director's cut you didn't see in theaters, which would've been cool.

QT needed his longtime editor in the worst way on this film.

Everything else was fucking awesome.
Old 12-25-12, 11:56 PM

Didn't spot Wopat.

He was the law enforcement or county guy early in the film (with the screwed up nose) standing out in the street trying to get Waltz & Foxx to leave town.

He spoke for a couple minutes. It wasn't easy to recognize him.
Old 12-26-12, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Don't forget Rex Linn from Cliffhanger and Rush Hour fame! I wasn't 100% but his distinctive head and the credits confirmed it.

But yeah I want to re-read the script and compare more, there was a great story with Broomhilda's life after she got sold.

The movie itself, it did feel kind of long but at the same time I would also like to see the above sub-plot, so, yeah. Waltz was great, man he really is the perfect addition to Tarantino's movies.
Old 12-26-12, 01:03 AM
Banned by request

I know we all love Remar, but I thought it was a little disorientating to see him in 2 roles. When he stares at Django (As Candy's bodyguard) he seems to say "Didn't you get me killed at the beginning of the movie?
I assumed, given Tarantino's penchant for writing in relatives, that he was meant to be the twin brother of the slaver from the beginning of the film.
Old 12-26-12, 01:09 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonah Hill's cameo was kind of random.
Old 12-26-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this with my wife today at a packed theater. All showings ended up selling out today because our local theater decided to put this into their smallest theater. Almost as irritating as them being horribly understaffed on their busiest day of the year. My wife stood in line for popcorn and a soda for 20 minutes and amazingly didn't miss a second of the movie due to a half hour of coming attractions.

Great film. I loved the cameos and the actors who played parts out of their usual comfort zones. Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel Jackson were wonderful as was Jamie Foxx. Waltz was the true highlight of the film for me but I wasn't a big fan of the character choices for him in the final 1/2 hour of the film. I do remember reading in Entertainment Weekly how Quentin wrote the script with Waltz in mind for the part of the Doctor. The running time of the film wasn't an issue for me because the film seemed to run at a nice clip. Not once did I check my watch, but there were a couple of times where I expected the credits to just start rolling long before they did. I loved how over-the-top it was as far as the violence went, but my wife thought it was way too much. I think part of that was because it's Christmas Day and this wasn't a very Christmassy movie although the festive color of red was predominant.

I'd see it again if given the chance. Hearing about all of the cameos and seeing some familiar names in the credits that I didn't catch seeing during the film are just one reason to see it again. Going to pick up the soundtrack as soon as I can. A great interesting mix of tunes many that I haven't heard or thought about for decades.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.