Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
21.15%
25.64%
33.33%
10.26%
4.49%
1.28%
0.64%
0.64%
0%
0%
0.64%
DjanNo Unchained
1.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Damn! I had wondered why Django Unchained cost more to make than Les Miserables. There's a sample right there.

Getting back to the audio commentary discussion, I also wish QT would finally do commentaries for his films. On his Hot Fuzz track, he talks about a blooper-ish moment in Reservoir Dogs that survives in the film. No way would I have noticed it without him pointing it out. So even if he would neglect to talk about his screenwriting tactics, at least I would love to hear him point out random BTS tidbits on the making of his films. I wouldn't be surprised if he finally plans to record some while he's in "Retirement" mode.
what was the blooper?
Old 01-02-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I think you misunderstood my tone. That being..a flat tone.

To me it just seem matter of fact for Schultz to fuck up the way he did. Everything bubbled up for him. Though if he DID do a commentary for a literal film he directed entirely..I'd be game for that too. I just don't think DU needs one because people didn't get Schultz. I'd gladly welcome him to rant and rave about whatever the fuck he would on his films but for that misunderstanding I don't think it warrants him to buckle down and do a commentary.
I got ya.

For the record I don't have any problems with the way Django Unchained unfolded either. I was disappointed in Schultz's actions but only as an invested viewer not for Tarantino's writing motivations.

I simply saw it as Schultz continually replaying what he saw happen with D'artanon and the dogs in his head and became so disgusted with Candie that he couldn't control his emotions any longer. Candie demanding he shake his hand was the final straw.

While I don't necessarily need Tarantino to explain the movie to me through a commentary but I would still like to hear him speak about it just the same of hearing what his thoughts are on it.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 01-02-13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Django Unchained was really good. Entertaining, violent, some good music, some great sequences and excellent performances. That said, it certainly had its issues. There is a scene that just handled awfully with how fucking cornball comedic it wants to be, and while I did laugh, it was more at it than with it and it didn't fit very well at all. I'm sure you know which I'm talking about if you've seen it. As seems typical with recent QT flicks, a few music choices just stick out terribly, namely the rap songs. I can also do without a fucking zoom-in on someone's hammy "look who it is!" face when they're introduced to the film everytime a new character is brought about. It was cool to hear the original Django theme blasting in a theater and knowing I was the only person singing along to myself haha. And Franco Nero, enough said.

All in all I had a really good time with it though and would definitely give it an 8/10.
Old 01-03-13, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Django Unchained was really good. Entertaining, violent, some good music, some great sequences and excellent performances. That said, it certainly had its issues. There is a scene that just handled awfully with how fucking cornball comedic it wants to be, and while I did laugh, it was more at it than with it and it didn't fit very well at all. I'm sure you know which I'm talking about if you've seen it. As seems typical with recent QT flicks, a few music choices just stick out terribly, namely the rap songs. I can also do without a fucking zoom-in on someone's hammy "look who it is!" face when they're introduced to the film everytime a new character is brought about. It was cool to hear the original Django theme blasting in a theater and knowing I was the only person singing along to myself haha. And Franco Nero, enough said.

All in all I had a really good time with it though and would definitely give it an 8/10.
No clue what you're talking about here.
Old 01-03-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No clue what you're talking about here.
Spoiler:
The hoods.
Old 01-03-13, 12:44 AM
Banned

Oh. That actually fits well for me.
Old 01-03-13, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh. That actually fits well for me.
The overbearing comedy had me almost groaning... and I can do without Jonah Hill forever. I know there was some comedy throughout the entire film but that scene just shoved it way too far down my throat for me
Old 01-03-13, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Tarantino said he wanted to do that to make them look like idiots, he said it was his "fuck you" to D.W. Griffith, and probably John Ford too.
Old 01-03-13, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

^If you checked out the recent Charlie Rose interview, then it might have certainly been geared towards Ford!

Originally Posted by mostaccioli
what was the blooper?
As the restaurant-scene is about to conclude, keep your eye on Tarantino. He's about to say, "..And, cut!", but Kietel stands up and causes everyone to get up and leave (Even Chris Penn waits on QT for confirmation, but it's too late) Bottom line is that it was one of those long take-after-take days with Tierney which leaves QT saying, "I was so NOT Mr. Brown on that scene".

It was cool to hear the original Django theme blasting in a theater and knowing I was the only person singing along to myself haha.
I know the feeling, bruh. Probably my biggest joy of always seeing a QT film at the theater is to have the chance to hear tunes like that blasting from the speakers.....The only time this backfired on me was on my theatrical viewing of Jackie Brown (Didn't get to see Big Doll House or Vampyros Lesbos yet)
Old 01-03-13, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah I read about him not liking Ford for playing a KKK member in Birth of a Nation and the portrayal of Native Americans, from the Gates interview, but he specifically mentioned a "fuck you" to Griffith in another interview (linked in this thread somewhere) .

Also is it just me or is he doing a shitload more press after the movie than usual?

Also thanks for the Charlie Rose tip, gonna check that out.
Old 01-03-13, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Probably my biggest joy of always seeing a QT film at the theater is to have the chance to hear tunes like that blasting from the speakers...
Thirded! Most recently that was me with Man With The Iron Fists, when a singer lip-syncs to Sally Yeh's song from The Killer. Favorite part of the film for me.
Old 01-03-13, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

The overbearing comedy had me almost groaning... and I can do without Jonah Hill forever. I know there was some comedy throughout the entire film but that scene just shoved it way too far down my throat for me
Yeah, I really hated that scene. I laughed a little bit but thought it was ridiculous and should've been cut.

And yeah, I wish I'd never seen stupid fucking Jonah Hill in this.
Old 01-03-13, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

The full Charlie Rose interview with QT can be found at this link:

http://screencrush.com/quentin-tarantino-johnny-depp/
Old 01-03-13, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

It's been less than 2 weeks and Django Unchained is currently at about $80m. Pretty impressive.

I hear a lot of comments (from people that have no idea who Tarantino is, outside of one that thought it was the guy that made From Dusk Til Dawn (heh)) that the movie was surprisingly funny and goes by very quickly.
Old 01-03-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who are these people who don't know him? Are they the types of people that don't know what a director does or something and think that the actors make up all their own dialogue on the fly?
Old 01-03-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Who are these people who don't know him? Are they the types of people that don't know what a director does or something and think that the actors make up all their own dialogue on the fly?
probably the same people that think a producer's name is more important than a director's
Old 01-03-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They clearly are retarded as Tarantino is a fairly big name and unlike other directors, gets his face into just about everything he does in such an annoying fashion. It would be impossible not to know who he is unless they weren't born till the middle 90's.

In such case, why you hanging out with underage people, Rich?
Old 01-03-13, 08:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not everybody is a film buff. For most people, the only names they know in movies are the actors.
Old 01-03-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe it's just my usual reaction to a new QT film, but this gets 5 stars from me.

How this man can so consistently craft masterpieces is astounding. He gets it all right, all of the time (maybe not in DP, but that only half counts to me).

The cast was so incredible. Waltz deserves another nomination and win. If his acting wasn't already so impeccable, his mannerisms and quirks take his characters to another level few actors reach.

Foxx was just great. I can see why QT would have talked Smith out of accepting the role; he wouldn't have been right. Foxx deftly exuded such a tempered contempt for the film's villains, his rage barely conceled behind that wry smile.

James Remar playing 2 roles? I can dig it. Odd, but I won't complain.

Jonah Hill is a fucking bufoon. Not even sure why he was here at all.

The music made me smile on many occasions, but I could have done without the very few contemporary rap tracks. It isn't that they were bad songs, but they didn't flow as nicely as the rest within the context of the film.

Squibs! Holy shit, every body in a QT film is like a bloated sack of blood just waiting to be violently popped.

DiCaprio really surprised me. I still think he has a limited range as an actor, but he was great here. I was trying to figure out what he got on his hand during the dinner scene, then I read he pounded it so hard it started to bleed but he kept going. Impressive.

The scene where Django meets the Brittle bros. again was perfect. The swelling of the music, the editing, the camera movements... it goes to show how QT is such a master of his craft.

I knew Waltz had to die at some point. I didn't want him to, and my dad hated that they did it, but I knew it had to be coming. The final moment between Django and Shultz (even though he was already dead) was touching.

I'm already dying to see this again.
Old 01-03-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Tarantino is a director, so unless you follow movies or watch entertainment shows you aren't really going to know who he is. I know more people that are clueless as to who he is than those that know who he is. They've heard the name before but are clueless as to his body of work.

My boss, for instance, knows maybe 3 directors (Spielberg, Cameron and Ridley Scott) but that's about it.
Old 01-03-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I thought of him being as famous as Spielberg and Cameron, at least in name recognition. Maybe not internationally, but in the U.S., but I can see why that might not be the case.
Old 01-03-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought Tarantino was a well known director amongst Joe Public also. All the normal people I know seem to know who he is. Many of them even thought he directed Hostel(along with other movies he presents)at first. They may not know that presents isn't the same as directs but they know him.
Old 01-03-13, 01:03 PM
Banned

Tarantino is popular as fuck but he's NOWHERE near Cameron or Spielberg status for name recognition. QT is a damn fine director but he's yet to become something that GOES beyond his films. He's right under them though.

That doesn't go against his level of quality...just the type of films they are and how BIG they hit culture.
Old 01-03-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Tarantino has been a big name in pop culture since the 90s. He's hosted Saturday Night Live, he has cameos in all of his movies, they use his name to hype other movies with the "Quentin Tarantino presents" thing(Iron Monkey is the first movie I recall getting this treatment back in the 90s.) As far as pop culture awareness goes, I think Tarantino is up there with Spielberg and Cameron.
Old 01-03-13, 01:41 PM
Banned

He does all that and I would call him a name director but there is a better chance of people knowing who Spielberg is over Tarantino. Tarantino's works don't hit the spectrum that Spielberg tries to appeal to. Also his movies are much smaller (in a lot of ways) than the ones that have made Spielberg...Spielberg.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.