Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
21.15%
25.64%
33.33%
10.26%
4.49%
1.28%
0.64%
0.64%
0%
0%
0.64%
DjanNo Unchained
1.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts
Re: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

I thought it was his nod to King and Fritz and he just took it a step further.
Old 01-21-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous

Found this on reddit
Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
Also, liked the sprinkling of names from previous Tarantino movies(Schultz=Paula Schultz from Kill Bill, Koons(A name off one of their bounties, I think)=Captain Koons from Pulp Fiction).
Fucking Amateurs.
Old 01-27-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

While I still think this is a good movie, there is something that I just thought about that kind of bugs me:

Spoiler:
After Django has his first shootout at Candieland, Stephen stops his castration and eventual execution to have him sent away to the mining camp. Given what we know about Stephen, he seems more like the kind of individual that would have had Django and Broomhilda killed and their remains disposed of to erase any history that something like what just happened happened. Sending Django off to the mines with a bunch of strangers who are obviously loyal to no one seems on the level of a Bond villain who doesn't shoot Bond on site but instead devises an elaborate way to get rid of him. Of course once the plan is in motion the villain doesn't stick around to see it through, he merely goes on about his business and presumes everything will work out in the end.
Old 01-27-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,173 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
I got an order in for the Schultz figure a few days ago (when it was still retail price), but it said it was out of stock and Amazon would fill my order when it became available. I get the feeling my order is up in the air now, with a possibility it might get cancelled.

I'm pretty bummed the figures got discontinued, I was going to pick up a Django one too, but now the cheapest I've seen is $700.
I had planned to get the whole line myself. Sucks they got discontinued. I wonder if Enterbay (a high end collectible manufacturer for those who don't know) is still planning to do their planned 1/6th figures of Django and Candie or if those will be cancelled.
Old 01-27-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
While I still think this is a good movie, there is something that I just thought about that kind of bugs me:

Spoiler:
After Django has his first shootout at Candieland, Stephen stops his castration and eventual execution to have him sent away to the mining camp. Given what we know about Stephen, he seems more like the kind of individual that would have had Django and Broomhilda killed and their remains disposed of to erase any history that something like what just happened happened. Sending Django off to the mines with a bunch of strangers who are obviously loyal to no one seems on the level of a Bond villain who doesn't shoot Bond on site but instead devises an elaborate way to get rid of him. Of course once the plan is in motion the villain doesn't stick around to see it through, he merely goes on about his business and presumes everything will work out in the end.
I think it was made clearer in the screenplay.

Spoiler:
He wanted them to live and suffer instead of having the easy way out of dying. The movie sort of shortcuts it.

The movie also lessened the impact of the scene where Django is caught and tied up. I remember that scene sticking with me in the script long after I read it. But it was sort of a throwaway in the movie.

The whole sequence of Django getting caught, tied up, sent to the mines and finally escaping felt very abrupt. At least compared to the script where there was more of a mystery if we, the audience, were going to go the mines with Django. Instead Django is portrayed like James Bond in the sense that the audience knows him getting caught is just a temporary set back and he'll be kicking ass again in just a few minutes.
Old 01-28-13, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoyed it thoroughly, but I really wish Tarantino would grow a bit. This is his fourth revenge-bloodbath movie in a row. Good lord. He seems to have devolved. He explained once that his first three movies were set in the "real" world, whereas Kill Bill was more like a movie that characters in a Tarantino movie would go see. He's been stuck making those ever since.

Last edited by lamphorn; 01-28-13 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-28-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having read the script, I kind of understand what we discussed earlier. I have to say, I am kind of disappointed that they dropped the character of Ace Woody. I know after two actors quit the role it might seem worth it, but given the way he's written, I'm surprised QT didn't try to get Michael Madsen to play the role. He seems like he would have fit better than Costner or Russell.
Old 01-28-13, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Madsen could pull it off but could he make as juicy of a role as Russell could though? I don't think so. Madsen easily could pull it off but I think Russell would add flavor to it while Costner may have added some serious grit to it. Each one could do it but they've their own way that they could've gone w/ it.
Old 01-28-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Madsen could pull it off but could he make as juicy of a role as Russell could though? I don't think so. Madsen easily could pull it off but I think Russell would add flavor to it while Costner may have added some serious grit to it. Each one could do it but they've their own way that they could've gone w/ it.

See, I don't think that the role needed to be juicy, the movie had enough of those as it stood with DiCaprio, Jackson, Waltz, and Johnson. IMO Madsen would have been playing a character very much in keeping with the ones he's previously played in the QT universe. I found the scene of Ace taunting Django almost a parallel to Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs, and that would have been a neat connection IMO.
Old 02-10-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw this yesterday and really liked it. I wasn't that enamored with Inglorious Basterds and I hated Death Proof, so for me, this was a return to the Tarantino that I've really liked.
Old 02-11-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts

They need to hand Christoph Waltz the Oscar immediately.
Old 02-11-13, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by anomynous

Found this on reddit
also Nash could be a relation to Marvin Nash from Reservoir Dogs
Old 02-12-13, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
They need to hand Christoph Waltz the Oscar immediately.
I didn't see this movie yet, and want to, but from the clips i've seen, Christoph Waltz plays a somewhat comic-relief role. Can you explain why he deserves the Oscar for Best Actor?
Old 02-12-13, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I didn't see this movie yet, and want to, but from the clips i've seen, Christoph Waltz plays a somewhat comic-relief role. Can you explain why he deserves the Oscar for Best Actor?
While he does have a lot of humorous lines, it's a deadly serious role, even moreso as the film progresses. He deserves Best Actor because he's the main character, the one who propels all the action and is a steady participant in the narrative for most of the movie. He was nominated for Best Supporting because it was thought by the studio personnel campaigning for his nomination that he had a better chance in that category and wouldn't have to compete with Daniel Day-Lewis in LINCOLN.
Old 02-12-13, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
He deserves Best Actor because he's the main character, the one who propels all the action and is a steady participant in the narrative for most of the movie..
That's no reason, based on all the movies where the main character is sometimes the only person not nominated for an Oscar. Take Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter, for instance.
Old 02-12-13, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though Waltz was very good in Django, his performance was nowhere near his performance in Inglorius Basterds. I don't understand why people are automatically giving him an Oscar for Django.
Old 02-12-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

The fact he convincingly pulls off scenes like the one outside the bar makes him worth it in my book. It's not as grandiose as DDL in Lincoln but it's a great performance.
Old 02-12-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

For the same reason he WON it for Inglourious Basterds.
Old 02-12-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because no one else could have played this part.
Old 02-12-13, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Because no one else could have played this part.
Which is pretty much true. Considering Tarantino did write it for Waltz. It even read like something Waltz could produce. That was the one thing that I loved reading the script before the film. To enjoy how damn well Tarantino knew Waltz's mannerisms and quirks to convey this character. Just reading the script you could tell it was Waltz even before it was said that Waltz had the part.
Old 02-12-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Yeah. Whereas when I was reading IB and Leo was rumored, I was like "No....no this doesn't make sense. Leo as a bad guy could be good, but language, accents, I dunno."

And when reading Candie's part, I definitely thought of Powers Boothe. Django himself, I did picture Smith (since that was what was going around) and thought it could work, and I still think he could have done it, but Foxx was good.
Old 02-12-13, 10:24 AM
Banned

The way I imagined Landa from the script was wildly surpassed by what Waltz did w/ it. He is very unique w/ how he does what he does in the little things. Even in the big moments. It's the little stuff that adds up quickly to a lot of stuff that make him very memorable very quickly in IB.
Old 02-12-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://thegrio.com/2013/01/11/why-sa...by-the-oscars/

Why Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio were snubbed by the Oscars

Opinion

by Adam Howard | January 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Fans of Django Unchained couldn’t help but be a little disappointed by yesterday’s Academy Award nominations.

While the movie did bring home nods for best picture and screenplay, its director, Quentin Tarantino, was snubbed, as were the two actors who gave arguably the bravest and most memorable performances in the film: Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson.

Previous Oscar winner Christoph Waltz was nominated for his performance as the anti-slavery bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz, and while the recognition is definitely deserved (he’s brilliant in the movie), it’s also fair to say that his part is the film’s safest.

Schultz, while imperfect, is a tonic for white liberal guilt in a movie filled with repulsive white characters. His relatively modern worldview is contrasted with the rogue’s gallery of whites Django and the other black characters encounter and it’s possible that his part was simply easier to embrace for the Oscar voters.

On the other hand, DiCaprio, in a move that could have destroyed his status as a popular A-list movie star, delves into the role of an unrepentant slave owner with relish, turning in one of the most unforgettable and vivid performances of the year.

As the pretentious and preening Calvin Candie, DiCaprio reminds us just how far he’s come since his Titanic heartthrob days. He uses the n-word as if it were punctuation and is a fervent believer in the racist pseudo-science of Phrenology.

“He’s the most deplorable human being I’ve ever read in a screenplay in my life,” DiCaprio said during a Today Show interview. “He was rotting from the inside. He was, you know, a young Louis the XIV that had been brought into a world of entitlement and lived his life … essentially owning other people.”

DiCaprio has admitted to being reticent to utter the racial slurs required of the film’s script.

“It was Sam Jackson and Jamie Foxx that said, ‘You really have to go all the way with this man,’” he said.

It is a brave performance, the kind of work that should get the Academy’s attention, and many Oscar prognosticators predicted he’d be nominated — but alas, he came up short. Then again, DiCaprio has a history of being snubbed by the venerable awards show.

The same can be said of Samuel L. Jackson, who despite a remarkable career, in which he’s starred in hundreds of films and become the most profitable actor of all time, has only netted one measly Oscar nomination (for his star-making role in Pulp Fiction).

Jackson has been an extraordinary presence in films both serious and silly, but he has never attempted anything like his role as a self-hating house slave in Django.

Although his screen-time is limited to the film’s denouement, most audiences leave the theater buzzing about his profane and disturbing performance as Stephen, Candie’s most dedicated servant.

In this role Jackson not only gives one of his richest characterization in years, but he also subverts his proud, unapologetic real life persona in an intriguing and provocative way.

“I read the script and thought this was great. I could be as evil as I want to be and be the most hated Negro in cinematic history. I was there!” Jackson said an interview Essence last December.

While Oscars are never officially given because a performer is “due,” we all know they are.

For instance, while Denzel Washington’s performance in Training Day was a classic, even his biggest fan would admit the role he should have won for was 1992′s Malcolm X.

In Jackson’s case, there have been numerous times that he has been wronged by Oscar. Here is a performance that was timely and worthy.

Still, despite strong box office and nearly universal critical acclaim, Django Unchained remains a controversial film and the Oscar voters have historically been an older, more conservative contingent of the Hollywood community.

Before the film even opened it was heavily criticized for its ubiquitous use of the n-word. Since its release it has been called a “spoof” of slavery by talk show host Tavis Smiley and sparked debate about its historical accuracy, commercial tie-ins and violent content.

The Oscars are political, like pretty much everything else, and it stands to reason that Hollywood just didn’t want to reward portrayals of a vicious plantation owner and his most trusted black emissary, no matter how well they were rendered.
Old 03-01-13, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

Anyone else read this fucked up review over at Amazon.com?

Why Broomhilda von Shaft, January 19, 2013

By Angela Powell - See all my reviews

This review is from: Django Unchained (DVD)

I agree with Mr. Spike Lee that "Django Unchained" is disrespectful to our ancestors. It causes me to want to spark a conversation about slavery; but more specifically, slavery in outer space. I tried to watch the movie; however about twenty-five minutes into it, I had to say enough's enough's enough. I couldn't sit there watching actors make a mockery of slavery. Slavery was and is too evil, too dark, too horrifying, too demonic to make light of it. Lots of people, Black people, mind you, said they loved the movie...LOVED IT. So, I wanted to watch it for two reasons: (1) To see if I would love it, like everybody else; and (2) To ferret out subliminal messages. But hey, I couldn't do it...I couldn't watch the whole of Django; it was too comical. I want to know, "What the hell is funny about the KKK?" They are the worst of the worst gang of terrorists. They are the androids that BURN THE CROSS, steal, kill, and murder innocent Black men, women, and children; all while calling themselves Christians...Is that Laughable?...Loveable? No, that is cruel-hearted, that is inhumane.

The movie was meant to be enjoyed only by the elk of those who want to laugh at the sight of violence and bloodshed, and who believe the Ku Klux Klan were bumbling nincompoops. As for me, I found myself weeping. I found myself remembering a vision I had on Azusa Street back in March 1994...a vision so horrible, that the deciphering of it catapulted me into spiritual bipolar. In the vision, I saw Black people in chains of bondage and God was making war to free us. God wanted us to realize that we are still under bondage and need to do something to help Him free us. We need to strive for freedom/manumission. Over the years, as I continued to decipher that vision, God taught me something more horrifying than the actual act of enslavement; He taught me about the WHO DID IT?...Jehovah/Zeus, Noah, Shem, Japheth, Abraham/Isaac/Jacob!! God showed me in a vision that if the heirs of those spirits make it up to Mars, they will enslave the Black man, again.

Did you see the taskmaster reading from the Bible while he brutally lashed Broomhilda? He read: "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered (Gen. 9:2)."

That's the mindset of the heirs of Shem and Japheth-- they believe Jehovah has delivered the Black man (whom they call Ham) into their hands for enslavement. Those same heirs want us to have so much fear and dread of them that we will not call the Shemitic and Japhetic White man into God's/Aten divine justice chamber where they will have to answer for the sorcery they employ to help them fulfill Noah's prophesy that gives them dominion and rest as long as they keep Ham in bondage. But that's a little deep; let's talk about Broomhilda.

"What's her name?" asked Dr. King.

"Broomhilda."

"What? Broomhilda!"

"Yes, Broomhilda von Shaft," Django answered.

Why the hullabaloo about Broomhilda? Her name is a derivative of "Brunhilda," which means "READY FOR BATTLE."
Who's ready for battle?...the writer of Django?...the director and producer of Django?...Dr. King Schultz, the heroic leader?...Django/Shaft and Broomhilda themselves?...the audience who watched Django and just "Loved It!?"...Or, is it the people who bombed the moon that are "READY FOR BATTLE!" against the enslaved and against The Aten, the God of the enslaved?

No author/script writer/poet writes of his or her own volition, he or she is directed by the "Muses!" I submit to you that the whole of the subliminal message in "Django Unchained" (with its strategic release date on 25 December 2012, on the Day of The Lord), comes from the Muses, the spirits of Shem and Japheth. They sent us a mind-blowing, bloody visualization depicting their readiness to enslave us again, this time on the planet Mars; and the message to God is that, to accomplish their task, they are "READY FOR BATTLE."

Now, it's my job to scour the WWW to find Detective Shaft so that I might warn him it is time to gather all the "in-plain-sight" clues left by the Muses of Mars...either Ham goes back into captivity...or Shem and Japheth go...but captivity is not over (Rev. 13:10). Spiritual Bipolar: God is the Peace in Your Heart that Calms the Voices Above Your Head Help
I'd like to assume that it is meant as some sort of satire.
Old 03-01-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the review was fine, until the author started talking about God and the bible.

I didn't see the movie, but I am not surprised if it is true that he made a mockery of slavery. He made a mockery of Nazis in "Inglorious Basterds," so..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.