Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
21.15%
25.64%
33.33%
10.26%
4.49%
1.28%
0.64%
0.64%
0%
0%
0.64%
DjanNo Unchained
1.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Maybe, Who knows. My point is Lee is still popular among Blacks. Black people are still listening to what he says and will still support his films even if he's fallen out of favor with Whites.
How's he doing with the yellows, browns and reds?
Old 01-05-13, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

^lol@Farrakhan's reactions to Stephen
I don't really know much about Farrakhan aside from having heard his name a few times. But that seemed like a bunch of BS analysis to go nowhere. Also does he always talk like that?
Old 01-05-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
How's he doing with the yellows, browns and reds?
Dunno.
Old 01-05-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

4 1/2 stars for me. Really, really enjoyed this movie, even if it still sits in the middle of the pack for me as far as Tarantino movies. The 2 hours and 45 minutes went by extremely quickly, and it didn't feel long at all (and had me thinking about the intermission thread). Leo's scene at the dining table was probably one of the best i've seen from him, and Waltz was excellent all around. I had minor issues with the way he goes out, but reading some of the discussion about it and from Tarantino makes me feel a bit better about how it turns out as well as ending with Django. I had no issues with the KKK scene, and thought it was very funny.

I think Will Smith could have done the part pretty well under Tarantino. Not sure why anyone would expect the standard Smith action comedy movie to happen.

My Tarantino rankings:

Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds
Kill Bill Vol 1
Kill Bill Vol 2
Django Unchained
Reservoir Dogs
Jackie Brown
Death Proof

At the "Django" discussion/Panel we attended last night a writer, who happened to be a Black woman was on the panel; and she said she started to feel sorry for the Whites being killed. The room erupted.... There was a good bit of back on a forth about this. For many in the room, particularly the older Blacks who had been through the 60's struggles, this film was a huge thrill. Some in that room had already seen the film 2 or 3 times and had pledged to see it again. I had no idea it was having this affect.

Anyway, that woman's comment and the debate that came after shows me how fucked up some Blacks are in that there are those who would actually ask us to feel sorry for the deaths of our White Oppressors. We are NOT all "STEPHENS".

Would anyone ask a Jewish person to feel sorry for seeing the death of a Nazi? FUCK NO.
Did she ask everyone to feel sorry, or just state that she herself felt a bit sorry? Those are different things, and from what you initially wrote she was just expressing her personal opinion, not asking others to do the same.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as I can see why a person might not believe in mass killing as retribution in general. If it was the latter, then that's different to me.
Old 01-06-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Did she ask everyone to feel sorry, or just state that she herself felt a bit sorry? Those are different things, and from what you initially wrote she was just expressing her personal opinion, not asking others to do the same.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as I can see why a person might not believe in mass killing as retribution in general. If it was the latter, then that's different to me.

My post was talking about what her comments made me think of after she said what she said, and after the room got into the conversation and went back and forth with her. That being Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome in Blacks will cause them to do crazy shit like sympathize with the deserved deaths of our oppressors. I never said she asked us to do that same. That said, she sure as fuck didn't understand why more people in the room didn't feel the way she did.

This woman writes books on African American Culture and her words were very confusing to those that knew her and her work in the audience.
Old 01-06-13, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My post was talking about what her comments made me think of after she said what she said, and after the room got into the conversation and went back and forth with her. That being Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome in Blacks will cause them to do crazy shit like sympathize with the deserved deaths of our oppressors. I never said she asked us to do that same. That said, she sure as fuck didn't understand why more people in the room didn't feel the way she did.

This woman writes books on African American Culture and her words were very confusing to those that knew her and her work in the audience.
Ah gotcha. Maybe its because of those 3 dimples in the skull.
Old 01-06-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With whom? Maybe with Whites. But Lee is still popular with Blacks even if they don't always agree with him. Blacks tend to be loyal in that way. And lot's of Blacks don't know even know QT or care about him. But this film may give him a boost in some parts of the Black community.
Oh, cool. I didn't realize we had someone here who spoke for the entire black community.
Old 01-06-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Oh, cool. I didn't realize we had someone here who spoke for the entire black community.
Someone has to. But seriously, I'm not speaking for all but I can certainly speak about my own culture better than someone here making assumptions.

You mad? Do you think you know better just because you fucked 1 or 2 Black girls?

Yeah White Priviledge has you thinking that way.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-06-13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-06-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Ah gotcha. Maybe its because of those 3 dimples in the skull.

Well you know, Leo was kickin' out some real science yo!
Old 01-06-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone has to. But seriously, I'm not speaking for all but I can certainly speak about my own culture better than someone here making assumptions.

You mad? Do you think you know better just because you fucked 1 or 2 Black girls?

Yeah White Priviledge has you thinking that way.
Yeah, it's my own white privilege that has me thinking...wait, thinking what way, exactly, Spike?
Old 01-06-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, it's my own white privilege that has me thinking...wait, thinking what way, exactly, Spike?
You tell me Massah Candie Sir. You sure had some kind of opinion. It was enough to make you post what you did. But if you know Blacks better than me or any other Black we sho do welcome yo thoughts on the issue of Spike's popularity amongst us Massah Candie Sir.
Old 01-06-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I did was make a comment on your claim that 'blacks tend to be loyal' to Spike Lee and that 'most blacks don't know who Tarantino is', even though Jackie Brown came out in 1997...surely that would have put Tarantino on 'you people's' radar.
Old 01-06-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

All I did was make a comment on your claim that 'blacks tend to be loyal' to Spike Lee and that 'most blacks don't know who Tarantino is', even though Jackie Brown came out in 1997...surely that would have put Tarantino on 'you people's' radar.
Your comment was a little more sarcastic (and didn't say all of that) but okay.
Old 01-06-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is shit getting real?
Old 01-06-13, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
Is shit getting real?
I dont know but im glad i got here before all this shit gets deleted.
Old 01-06-13, 12:57 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
I haven't seen the movie but there was a nice interview with Tarantino on NPR's Fresh Air:

http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

It is on the main page now, otherwise look for the January 5, 2012 episode.

"Django - the D is silent."
Quentin got a little pissy in that interview. It didn't help that the lady kept asking stupid questions after initially putting him off. Some fascinating stuff there too though. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-06-13, 01:47 PM

In my humble opinion it's another masterpiece from Tarantino. Enjoyed it greatly.
Old 01-06-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
Your comment was a little more sarcastic (and didn't say all of that) but okay.
Oh, cool. I didn't know someone was here that represented the entire sarcastic community.
Old 01-06-13, 01:55 PM

Oh, cool. I didn't know someone was here that represented the entire sarcastic community.
I have to go there!
Old 01-06-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Just came back from seeing Django Unchained. I thought it was good (3.5 out of 5) but flawed. It was unfocused, sprawling without purpose for stretches, and then it was selectively brilliant at moments. Both Waltz and Foxx were good in their roles, but both were underwritten. Comparatively, I was mesmerized by both DiCaprio (which I *NEVER* thought I'd say) and Jackson.

Overall, good movie, but it was a surface level conceit. I was entertained, but not even close to transformed by it (which I usually am by Tarantino films).
Old 01-06-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 441 Posts

Saw it the other day. didnt love it but didnt hate it either.

Maybe if I knew more about the story I would have liked it better.

after the first part of the movie I was expecting a more entertaining movie then the
brutal punch in the gut the second hahlf of the the movie was.

I leaned over to my wife and said at least QT hasn't put himself in a movie for a change aand then
literally 20 seconds later there he is.

Him being there in that part was totally unnecessary and really pulls you out of the movie
especially with the way he looks now, pretty bloated.

Alsi who was the woman who's face they never showed?

Too long, maybe by 15 or 20 minutes.
I was just waiting for it to finally be over.

Many "it was great" and "it was awsome" for people coming out of the show were I work.

Other people are saying it might have been one of the bloodiest movies they ever saw and didn't expect it to be like that.
Old 01-06-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'm the representative of the sarcastic community for DVDTalk as is every other member.
Old 01-06-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 441 Posts

I dont get why anyone thinks Smith couldn't have done it. He was great in I Am Legend.
No doubts from me that he could have done this one too.
Old 01-06-13, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question: From what era is the Columbia logo that used in DU from? I've never seen the logo w/ a purple hue on there. I've seen the B&W logos and the 70s logo onward but I'm hazy for the 50s and 60s logos for Columbia.
Old 01-06-13, 07:24 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts

Saw a matinee showing today. Thought it was good, but could (and should) have been better. Foxx did a great job, as did Leo. Highlight for me was seeing Nero at the Mandingo fight and Tom Wopat as the marshal early on in the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.