Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
4.65%
9.30%
41.86%
23.26%
11.63%
6.98%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Jack 'Outof' Reacher
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-12, 08:28 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

info coming later...
Old 12-22-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

I liked it a lot. I've read the books and while Tom Cruise isn't a physical match for Jack Reacher, I like what he did with the role and you could tell that him and McQuarrie were having a good time. The dialogue was mostly sharp, the direction was strong and even though the Child source material does rely a bit heavy on cliche, it still worked really well. It's not a slam bang action flick, but for a good pot boiling thriller, it delivers. 4/5
Old 12-22-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Might see this either today or tomorrow.
Old 12-22-12, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw it yesterday. I was right. This really feels like a movie that would have well suited for the 70s. Kind of a no nonsense, a bit of cliche there too, but getting to the point type of flick.

I really liked it. The tone. The dialogue was pretty sharp. A few of my criticisms for it are with the motivations for the head guy. That was actually...well...it didn't seem all that worth everything that happened.

Also...Robert Duvall is in this. The man is so much fun in this film. He KIND OF gets to have too much fun but the character sells it well.

I'd welcome another Reacher film. Cruise was pretty damn cool. I liked him a lot in this.

Pike's character wasn't bad per se but she didn't really sell it to how the character plays it. It was a performance that was a bit off...or generic.

That chase was pretty damn good. It also made me admire Cruise a lot more seeing him do some of that stuff in the car as well. I love the man's work ethic to movies and how he has to show the audience that it is him as much as possible.

I'd probably give it a Solid B. Could have been better if they fixed the plot a bit more but it was enjoyable.

One thing that I enjoyed to see was a violent act against a woman. Mainstream movies have tended to be safe and women don't get hurt that much, or in bothersome manners. Cuz then it's looked down upon. But the way one woman went out here was rather unique and I could see that actually happening. Took me off guard a bit because I didn't expect it to happen that way but it was refreshing to see a movie not afraid to show that women also get fucked up bad, in mainstream films.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-22-12 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-22-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Never read a Reacher book so I don't come with that baggage. I thought it was solid but it was kind of funny how Pike had this deer-in-the-headlights kind of look the whole movie. I wouldn't avoid movies she's in but it would make me look forward to them less. I was entertained. Thought it was funny how Reacher says "Mission Impossible" in the movie. I always like Tom Cruise as an actor even though he sounds like a nutjob from interviews.
Old 12-22-12, 07:09 PM
Banned

he actually said, mission accomplished. Not mission impossible. Mission impossible as a phrase would have no sense to the context of what he was saying.
Old 12-22-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, you're right Don't they also say that somewhere in the M:I movies, though?
Old 12-22-12, 10:00 PM
Banned

Yeah. He said that in MI4. It was also joked about in the film at the end.
Old 12-23-12, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

17.5 million opening weekend BO.
Old 12-23-12, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I've read all the Reacher books and I liked it a lot. Had more style than I was expecting, and Cruise handled the role well despite the physical discrepancy with the book...which at this point I've heard enough about and I'm fine with the choice. He's not a big hulking guy. Oh well, still a fun flick.

Some pretty brutal hits, Cruise still has it in the fight choreography department (still can't believe that guy is 50) and a solid car chase halfway through.

I'd be up for another one, as there are plenty of good Reacher stories to chose from.
Old 12-23-12, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And you know, this actually had a good mystery story, along with the great action.
Old 12-23-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be the voice of dissent. I found this movie mediocre at best and I'm being gentle. Although terribly miscast, Cruise gave a reliable performance(something that you can always bank on). Pike was just terrible, Jenkins was wasted, Herzog was more silly than menacing and Duvall's scene chewing was Shatneresque. The action was tedious and the mystery wasn't very involving. I also found the finale to be extremely anticlimactic. IMO, nothing more than cable fodder.
Old 12-23-12, 11:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Read most of the Reacher books. Glad to see some positive reaction here. I plan on checking this out.
Old 12-23-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loved this flick. Solid entertainment all the way through. Great action and the car chase scene was awesome. The sound of that Chevelle was great. Love seeing muscle cars from the old days in chase scenes, just hate to see the damage inflicted on collector cars. I found one scene disagreeable; the bathroom scene got to be a little too 3 stooges-ish. Humor is fine but it's not supposed to be a comedy. Rosamund Pike has a really unique beauty. I felt she did a decent job but any competent actress could have done the same job. It is nice looking at her on the big screen tho.

Just as a warning to those that might be sensitive,
Spoiler:
the opening scene shows a sniper shooting civilians. I couldn't help but think of Newtown when I saw it taking me out of the movie a bit.

All in all it's a solid B+ or an A
Old 12-23-12, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Loved this flick. Solid entertainment all the way through. Great action and the car chase scene was awesome. The sound of that Chevelle was great. Love seeing muscle cars from the old days in chase scenes, just hate to see the damage inflicted on collector cars. I found one scene disagreeable; the bathroom scene got to be a little too 3 stooges-ish. Humor is fine but it's not supposed to be a comedy.

Just as a warning to those that might be sensitive, the opening scene shows a sniper shooting civilians. I couldn't help but think of Newtown when I saw it taking me out of the movie a bit.

All in all it's a solid B+ or an A
This isn't directed towards you but people seriously need to get over the whole "associating this w/ that" syndrome. I'll never understand that logic. Shit happened at Newton, it was bad. I'm not going to let reality influence my viewing/reading of a fictional text so that it can later be associated with and then let it gestate it w/ the text. No. Just no.

It's stuff like that that leads to things like removing a scene from a movie (Gangster Squad) just because we feel a coincidence is there and that it can bother you.

on topic: Yeah, that scene w/ the 2 guys went too funny. Though I did like Reacher's reaction to it but it was too much for the tone of the film.
Old 12-23-12, 02:34 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid action flick... Cruise is like a bad Jason Bourne in a way... Really enjoyed it and if you want action there is no better movie in the theaters right now
Old 12-23-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Jack Reach-eround

Old 12-23-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Jack Reach-eround

No, the proper way to do do it is as a question...

So... Jack Reacher round?
Old 12-23-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Saw it. Fun, but only worth seeing if you've watched everything else and there's nothing more worthwhile .
Old 12-23-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

While I appreciated the understated nature of the direction, pacing, etc. it did lag a bit for me. Some tighter editing probably could've shaved 5-10min off. Some nice compositions and framing though, it certainly looks good.

Car chase was the highlight and when the film seemed to come to life. Also looks like there was some extra action in the trailer that disappointingly wasn't in the film. (construction site explosion, etc) I'm torn between C+ and B-. I don't see this really catching fire at the BO (probably 60-75mill), so this may be it for Reacher. I wouldn't mind another one though.
Old 12-23-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Jack Reach-eround

If he's coming on you, you deserve it.
Old 12-24-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's something that's been bugging me about the ending.
Spoiler:
Jack doesn't seem like someone who goes outside the rules. He allowed the army guy to be freed, after all. He just doesn't seem like the kind who would blow the guy's head off at the end. Now he's a fugitive, or is it understood she's going to say that it was self-defense because the guy lunged after them or something?
Old 12-24-12, 09:23 AM
Banned

Didn't he say something that bothered Reacher? That he'd be looked for and that's why? There was another movie playing next to our theater and it was loud as fuck. Missed out on the dialogue from him.
Old 12-24-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
There's something that's been bugging me about the ending.
Spoiler:
Jack doesn't seem like someone who goes outside the rules. He allowed the army guy to be freed, after all. He just doesn't seem like the kind who would blow the guy's head off at the end. Now he's a fugitive, or is it understood she's going to say that it was self-defense because the guy lunged after them or something?
Spoiler:
He was still in the system with the Army guy. Now that he's off the grid, he's just got his own sense of justice to guide him. He realized the Zec was either going to enjoy prison or somehow get out of it himself, and figured it would just be easier to shoot him and be done with it.
Old 12-24-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Spoiler:
He was still in the system with the Army guy. Now that he's off the grid, he's just got his own sense of justice to guide him. He realized the Zec was either going to enjoy prison or somehow get out of it himself, and figured it would just be easier to shoot him and be done with it.
Spoiler:
I don't know, it just didn't seem like Jack was into killing just like that when nobody's life was in immediate danger. If he's like that in the books then it wasn't clearly communicated in the movie. It just seemed out of character for him.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.