Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
4.65%
9.30%
41.86%
23.26%
11.63%
6.98%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Jack 'Outof' Reacher
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 01:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty good -- was pleasantly surprised. The car chase was the highlight for me. The plot wasn't entirely faithful to the book, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Reacher does a lot of thinking on his own in the books and typically doesn't befriend many people (he is a loner after all). The movie made good use of Robert Duvall in the role of Cash.

Also, I couldn't help but be reminded of the rumble from The Outsiders while Reacher was fighting the bad guy in the pouring rain -- didn't expect that reference to come up in this movie.

All in all, was quite satisfied with this. Be curious to see if there is enough interest in pursuing a franchise.
Old 12-24-12, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Spoiler:
I don't know, it just didn't seem like Jack was into killing just like that when nobody's life was in immediate danger. If he's like that in the books then it wasn't clearly communicated in the movie. It just seemed out of character for him.
Spoiler:
The books have a much higher body count. In the books if Jack thinks the world will be better off without you, you are going to die. Most times, badly.
Old 12-25-12, 02:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I enjoyed this one. A solid b-flick. Cruise delivers as he always does, and although he's almost as ridiculously superhuman as Ethan Hunt, the movie felt more grounded. McQuarrie did a very good job of keeping things interesting. Not enough Richard Jenkins, definitely not enough Werner Herzog. I burst out laughing at the line "I'm going to murder you and drink your blood from a boot." Where did that come from? Hilarious.

And finally, Rosamund Pike's rack is truly a thing of glory.
Old 12-25-12, 10:21 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Rosamund Pike gave me a young Laura Linney circa Primal Fear vibe. Her cleavage truely was glorious.
Old 12-25-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Hank1215
Spoiler:
The books have a much higher body count. In the books if Jack thinks the world will be better off without you, you are going to die. Most times, badly.
I think the movie missed the mark in communicating that. Looking forward to more Reacher movies.
Old 12-25-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This was WAY better than I thought it was going to be. I've never read the books.

Cruise shows why he's been a million dollar superstar for nearly 30 years. He did a hell of a job in this role.

Just a straight up action flick with some intrigue. I really liked it.
Old 12-26-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

We thought it was great until the final bit with Reacher and the big bad guy. Not having read the books, it seemed completely out of character for the way that Reacher had been portrayed. Even with the guys in the crack house, he could have killed them, but did not...
Old 12-30-12, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read a few of the Reacher books. That being said, I thought this movie was...'okay'.

I think that Cruise (despite his physical shortcomings for the role) did pretty well as Reacher. The dialog was sharp and actually provided quite a bit of laughs. The woman in this movie was awful and truly pulls off a 'deer in headlights' look the entire time. Herzog is basically wasted. I'm guessing he filmed his scenes in two days max and stands or sits around looking tired the entire time.

The car chase was really cool, and even though it was goofy, I liked the scene in the drug house. However, there really wasn't as much action as I was going in expecting.

This was a serviceable movie, but nothing to write home about. I was expecting more. I rated it 3/5.
Old 12-30-12, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Cruise shows why he's been a million dollar superstar for nearly 30 years. He did a hell of a job in this role.
I find it quite amazing. I realize I am in the minority here, but to my eyes and ears...he is a terrible actor. Mannered, self-conscious and robotic. The grating whiny voice. The dead eyes and lack of expression.

Interview with the Vampire was hilariously awesome for the bad acting of both Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise. Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Legend, Cocktail, Far and Away etc are just cringeworthy Cruise performances.

I give him respect for being an absolute phenomena and an undeniable box office superstar. He's probably the biggest most recognizable movie star of the last 30 years. People really like his persona.... so more power to him.

P.S. He was really, really good in Born on the 4th of July. His best work to this day.
Old 12-31-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I saw this tonight and thought it was good, not great. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

To me the Jack Reacher character wasn't very memorable. I guess I just didn't really resonate with Cruise playing some kind of rogue former army cop investigator. He's just not very intimidating. I think someone like Kiefer Sutherland would have been a better Jack Reacher although he's too closely associated with being Jack Bauer who has alot of the same character traits. There was some sharp dialogue as already mentioned. At least when Cruise plays Ethan Hunt in the MI series, he has a strong supporting cast and good action sequences to make the movie memorable. I did enjoy the fight scene outside the bar which the trailers showed. I thought it was really well chereographed. The whole conspiracy angle was also somewhat interesting.

Here's an issue I had:

Spoiler:
When Reacher pulled up to that Motel and saw the crime scene with Sandy's body being pulled away, why the hell did he drive off when he made eye contact with Emerson? There was absolutely no physical evidence that tied Reacher to that crime scene. Yeah he's a rogue former army guy with the physical training, but it would be only circumstantial. I thought it was just a lame excuse for a predictable car chase sequence. Seemed like a ridiculous excuse to draw attention to himself.

I thought Rosamund Pike was horrible. Other than her great rack, her American accent sucked and I thought she gave a lazy performance.

In the end, I felt like this was more of a 2 hour 10 minute crime procedural.

I would give it a B- if I gave it a letter grade. I'm curious if Paramount is interested in pursuing a film series with this character.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-31-12 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-01-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keifer Sutherland would have kicked ass as Reacher.
Old 01-01-13, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw this tonight and thought it was good, not great. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

To me the Jack Reacher character wasn't very memorable. I guess I just didn't really resonate with Cruise playing some kind of rogue former army cop investigator. He's just not very intimidating. I think someone like Kiefer Sutherland would have been a better Jack Reacher although he's too closely associated with being Jack Bauer who has alot of the same character traits. There was some sharp dialogue as already mentioned. At least when Cruise plays Ethan Hunt in the MI series, he has a strong supporting cast and good action sequences to make the movie memorable. I did enjoy the fight scene outside the bar which the trailers showed. I thought it was really well chereographed. The whole conspiracy angle was also somewhat interesting.

Here's an issue I had:

Spoiler:
When Reacher pulled up to that Motel and saw the crime scene with Sandy's body being pulled away, why the hell did he drive off when he made eye contact with Emerson? There was absolutely no physical evidence that tied Reacher to that crime scene. Yeah he's a rogue former army guy with the physical training, but it would be only circumstantial. I thought it was just a lame excuse for a predictable car chase sequence. Seemed like a ridiculous excuse to draw attention to himself.

I thought Rosamund Pike was horrible. Other than her great rack, her American accent sucked and I thought she gave a lazy performance.

In the end, I felt like this was more of a 2 hour 10 minute crime procedural.

I would give it a B- if I gave it a letter grade. I'm curious if Paramount is interested in pursuing a film series with this character.
That spoilered thing is easy to resolve. The movie makes a point of it. Someone knows he's there and wants him down. Things were adding up too quickly. Reacher got it when he saw the girl.
Old 01-01-13, 01:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, Reacher knew he was being set up. The only way to get out from under it was to take down the people doing the setup, not by trying to explain it to the police.
Old 01-01-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Maybe, but given the mediocre source material anyone other than Cruise starring in this would have meant it was direct-to-video.

It was a fun movie. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would but my enjoyment stems mostly from Cruise's portrayal as Reacher. Pretty cool car chase sequence as well!
Old 01-01-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
He too would have been good but would not have solved the issue many brought up about Reacher being a real big guy. Maybe Dwayne Johnson?
Old 01-01-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
He too would have been good but would not have solved the issue many brought up about Reacher being a real big guy. Maybe Dwayne Johnson?
I haven't read any of the books so my knowledge of Jack Reacher only comes from what little descriptions posters here have mentioned but I keep picturing a young Brian Dennehy in the role. I'm not sure what actor today would fit that description though.
Old 01-01-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Adam Baldwin would be a good Reacher.
Old 01-01-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Adam Baldwin would be a good Reacher.

Not saying your idea is without merit, but no one would ever cast him as the leading man in a potentially huge movie franchise.
Old 01-02-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Not saying your idea is without merit, but no one would ever cast him as the leading man in a potentially huge movie franchise.
I love Baldwin in his roles but have to agree. He doesn't seem like leading man material
Old 01-02-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Plus, this was a Tom Cruise production. I'm not sure it would have gotten made without him.
Old 01-02-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With the material lacking any real big hooks or uniqueness having his name got money they never would have seen otherwise
Old 01-03-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts

I saw this earlier tonight.

Good movie, probably 4 out of 5 stars.
Old 01-04-13, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this yesterday and liked it for the most part.
Agreed with most posters here about her rack. Kinda takes over the screen. The constant hints at "romance" got annnoying. Why do they keep doing this?

The bits I didn't like were the "funny" bits. Cash only giving him a knife. Really? couldn't give him a pistol. At least he didn't use it.
Also, while the chase was awesome and liked the way Cruise done alot of the driving the ending of that was terrible. I thought the way the bus stop crowd assumed he was innocent. Yeah, sure. You have got one helicopter and about 8 cars following you but you look nice so they must be wrong.
Old 01-04-13, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Here was my take on the people hiding:
Spoiler:
I think it depends on the neighborhood. Some neighborhoods are distrustful of police for one reason or another and cherish any opportunity to "stick it to the man." So he may have just been at the right place at the right time.
Old 01-04-13, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a weak reading. The movie sets up NOTHING for that type of information to get from. It was a little gag that one could chuckle from but it was just a quick set up for him to get away and then to the next scene.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.