Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Frozen - (11/27/13)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney's Frozen - (11/27/13)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Disney's Frozen - (11/27/13)

Oldboy, where is the Frozen review thread? lol.

It opens today, looking forward to everyone's thoughts. We have to wait till sunday to watch!
Old 11-27-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Nice songs. Nice comedy with Olaf.
Old 11-27-13, 10:49 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Oldboy, where is the Frozen review thread? lol.

It opens today, looking forward to everyone's thoughts. We have to wait till sunday to watch!
My bad. I dropped the ball on this one. If someone doesn't put it up by tonight, I will get one going. Don't want to half ass it and get scolded.
Old 11-27-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife and I are taking our daughter to see this tonight. Got free tickets using some DMR codes we didn't use yet.
Old 11-30-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Some thoughts..

Spoiler:
1. It was pretty good. I don't agree it was "the best," but a) people*always*say 'best' or 'worst', b) it's terribly hard to compare films - particularly "princess films" - across the changing sensibilities of 75 years, c) to each their own and d) it's different musically (style), structurally (no obvious villain) and in intent (it's meta at least as much as it's princess).

2. There us a LOT going on. I just found out that Rapunzel drops by Arendelle, for one. I believe it's pointedly echoing the style, look and plot beats of the Universal Monster films, for two. There are all manner of potential real world subtexts and commentary in Elsa having to hide her 'true self' away - one of the songs almost literally says "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" - and you can see the parallels and pitfalls clearly articulated. More to the point, while it's on one level just a 'straight' (pun intended) Princess Movie, it's also a commentary on, mockery of and satirical take on Disney, Fairytales and Princess films in general and specific. [See 4.]

3. The timeframe is interesting - it sets the scene over ten-fifteen years of montage, and then (probably/potentially) plays out over no more than a day... which undercuts the 'Eternal Winter', and plays into the Frankenstein/Phantom/Hunchback/Universal over-reacting populace/tragic-misunderstood character quite nicely.

4. PLOT SPOILERS. a) Snow/Cinderella/all - falling in love with/marrying a total stranger, b) Snow/Cinderella/Aurora/most talking to animals as if it's normal, and having them 'talk' back. c) The Prince is The Hero. d) True love's kiss. e) The Princess needing said Prince/kiss to save her. etc.

5. Was anyone else half-expecting - particularly for trope-exploding, genre-undercutting reasons - the parents to turn up at the end, bedraggled but alive...?!

And a question - MAJOR PLOT SPOILER* - for anyone who went in without being spoiled: did you guess about Hans..?

*Although, another satirical swipe/undercut... it doesn't*matter*much..! It would hardly effect the plot if he were the hero: he's (probably) only in charge for hours; his intentions are clear for a few minutes; his plans were never going to play out, and so forth. It's the sort of plot element that ought to be more important than it is... which is quite clever in itself!
Old 12-05-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

OOOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://news.moviefone.com/2013/12/03...ening-mistake/

Sexually Explicit Clip Heats Up Kid-Filled 'Frozen' Screening

A family-filled audience looking forward to a screening of "Frozen" last Friday received a huge shock when they were shown a sexually graphic clip instead.

Employees at the Regal Cinemas in Pinellas Park, Florida, had to stall the start of "Frozen" after experiencing what audience members described as technical difficulties. To pass the time, they began playing what they thought was a black-and-white cartoon. Turns out it wasn't a cartoon.

What followed was a two-minute sexually graphic clip that one person who claims to have been in the theater says was the red-band trailer for Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac," which depicts a blow job, among other images not exactly suited for PG-rated "Frozen"'s core audience. Audience members were understandably upset by the mix-up.

"It seemed like forever when you're trying to, you know, cover a little guy's eyes," one witness, who was at the screening with her grandchildren, told the local Fox affiliate. "I didn't have enough hands to cover his ears too and he got the sound down real good."

Regal is reportedly still trying to figure out how the mix-up happened; they've offered free movie tickets to patrons by way of apology. Maybe older audiences hoping for a similar mix-up are what made "Frozen"'s opening weekend returns so high?
Old 12-07-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Really liked it, mainly for the music and visuals. There's obviously some metaphors going on with Elsa. I was very impressed with the singing; didn't know Kristen Bell had such a good voice. Idina Menzel was great as well, even in "Let It Go" is an obvious variation on "Defying Gravity".
Old 12-07-13, 05:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Really liked it, mainly for the music and visuals. There's obviously some metaphors going on with Elsa. I was very impressed with the singing; didn't know Kristen Bell had such a good voice. Idina Menzel was great as well, even in "Let It Go" is an obvious variation on "Defying Gravity".
eh... a little, but the scene and song was the definite highlight of the movie - I so wanted to pull out a remote control and back up the scene again to rehear/see it.
Old 12-07-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
OOOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://news.moviefone.com/2013/12/03...ening-mistake/

Sexually Explicit Clip Heats Up Kid-Filled 'Frozen' Screening

A family-filled audience looking forward to a screening of "Frozen" last Friday received a huge shock when they were shown a sexually graphic clip instead.

Employees at the Regal Cinemas in Pinellas Park, Florida, had to stall the start of "Frozen" after experiencing what audience members described as technical difficulties. To pass the time, they began playing what they thought was a black-and-white cartoon. Turns out it wasn't a cartoon.

What followed was a two-minute sexually graphic clip that one person who claims to have been in the theater says was the red-band trailer for Lars von Trier's "Nymphomaniac," which depicts a blow job, among other images not exactly suited for PG-rated "Frozen"'s core audience. Audience members were understandably upset by the mix-up.

"It seemed like forever when you're trying to, you know, cover a little guy's eyes," one witness, who was at the screening with her grandchildren, told the local Fox affiliate. "I didn't have enough hands to cover his ears too and he got the sound down real good."

Regal is reportedly still trying to figure out how the mix-up happened; they've offered free movie tickets to patrons by way of apology. Maybe older audiences hoping for a similar mix-up are what made "Frozen"'s opening weekend returns so high?
I'd say this is what happens when you don't have projectionists anymore, but I'd imagine they'd have been in the booth, but if they had, why wouldn't one of them have stopped it once he saw what came up?
Old 12-07-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
eh... a little, but the scene and song was the definite highlight of the movie - I so wanted to pull out a remote control and back up the scene again to rehear/see it.
I'm not bashing the song. I thought that whole sequence was beautiful and almost tear inducing. However, I couldn't help but notice similarities.
Old 12-07-13, 07:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I'm not bashing the song. I thought that whole sequence was beautiful and almost tear inducing. However, I couldn't help but notice similarities.
I can also say the same thing about the last solo song of her's in the new musical "If /Then" - Idina is Idina, every solo song will try to one up or sound similar - it's not a complaint by any stretch, but the comparison is inevitable.
Old 12-07-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can also say the same thing about the last solo song of her's in the new musical "If /Then" - Idina is Idina, every solo song will try to one up or sound similar - it's not a complaint by any stretch, but the comparison is inevitable.
I would say I am surprised that she isn't a bigger star, but bottomline is actresses who can sing aren't in demand for movies anymore. The fact that she was in Enchanted and did not sing on screen was a travesty.
Old 12-08-13, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't see the movie but I do love that scene:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/moSFlvxnbgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-19-13, 01:35 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waiting to buy the 3d blu ray when it comes out. Did anyone get the special pin given out opening weekend at AMC theaters?
Old 12-26-13, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Watched this yesterday and absolutely loved it. Enjoyed it more then Tangled, which I also really, really liked. Disney is on a nice roll again with this, Tangled, and Wreck-It Ralph; they're doing much better then Pixar of late in my opinion. I don't know what the deal is with the marketing for the movie, maybe the whole "boys don't want to see movies about princesses" thing. I guess the movie isn't really suffering for it, with over $200 million at the box office, but it's extremely weird since the snowman Olaf is a very small part of the movie yet heavily featured in the trailers. On the bright side, I really did come in to the movie completely fresh with no idea the movie was even about a pair of sisters. As far as the actual movie goes:

Spoiler:
Loved that they flipped the "true love" thing around and instead of a kiss, it was sisterly love. I thought that was really sweet to do.

It was also interesting that it really didn't feel like there was a big bad villain for most of the movie up until the end. I like the other conflicts they had in this taking focus, and even the old fellow who wanted his men to kill Elsa seemed to be very minor.

The Kristoff/Sven stuff was also really cute and sweet; I didn't even realize at the beginning he was alone, I had assumed the other men cutting ice were family. The little rock trolls were cute.

Except for "Let it Go" I didn't care much for the other songs. That said, Let it Go is really great. I've listened to it a bunch today, both the scene from the movie and the Demi Lovato one (which I heard on TV this morning from Disney World's event.

I wish the animation was a bit more unique, as it looked a lot like Tangled and nothing particularly new or interesting. It's nothing bad, but wish it had a little more charm to it.

The only other real complaint is Olaf, which I still didn't care much for. Wish he was played more straight and not slapstick.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-26-13 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-26-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't know what the deal is with the marketing for the movie, maybe the whole "boys don't want to see movies about princesses" thing. I guess the movie isn't really suffering for it, with over $200 million at the box office, but it's extremely weird since the snowman Olaf is a very small part of the movie yet heavily featured in the trailers.
That's exactly it. I have twin 4 year old daughters, one is very into princesses and all things girly, the other prefers things like Spongebob, Toy Story, and Minions. They were both excited to see the movie, but the latter daughter got bored about a half hour in, and I had to take her for walks in the lobby several times so that she did not disturb the other patrons. Too much princessey stuff for her.

It was funny, when we came out of the movie, the first daugter says "My Favorite part was the Troll Wedding", and the other one says "My Favorite part was when the snowman said 'Hey, watch out for my butt!'"
Old 12-26-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thefloater
waiting to buy the 3d blu ray when it comes out. Did anyone get the special pin given out opening weekend at AMC theaters?
We did, it's a pretty cool
Olaf pin, my son wears it on his jacket
Old 01-04-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought you Frozen lovers may be interested to know Disney Imagineers are supposedly Blue Sky-ing an idea to convert the Maelstrom ride in the Norway section of Epcot into a Frozen themed one. Even though I don't love the movie that actually sounds like a really cool idea to me.
Saw this r umor posted a box office site.
Old 01-05-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Had a free ticket to see this in 2D. Used it today. Thank god I didn't pay anything to see it. Overall, I thought it was quite the snorefest.

Here's what I liked: Some of the scenery was pretty, and I thought they depicted wet, heavy snow really well. Although I didn't see it in 3D, I have no doubt the 3D effects would have been great because of how some of the shots were designed (floating snowflakes, debris, things pointing at the screen). The twist was a refreshing change.

Here's what I disliked: Every song, especially "First Time in Forever," which was reprised later in the film. I didn't think the movie was all that funny, especially the humans. Olaf brought some humor, but it was mostly the physical type. The writers established the fact that the Snow Queen froze everything she touched with her bare hands, so she wore gloves to prevent that, yet when she removes her second glove with her bare hand during the coronation scene the glove still on her hand doesn't freeze. Also, if her bare skin is what freezes things, how can she freeze a lake by walking on it while wearing shoes? Perhaps I missed a plot point or explanation in the story, but this seems like a continuity error.

I had high hopes for this film because I'd heard it was done by the same team that did Tangled, which I really liked. To me, that film is MUCH funnier, especially the male lead character (Flynn Rider), who was sarcastic and quick witted, and even the horse. I think the songs in Tangled are better too. I also didn't like the fact that the male characters in Frozen all seem to take a backseat to the Snow Queen and her sister. I'm not suggesting the hero in a movie always has to be a man, but equal screen time would be nice. I thought Tangled did a better job of balancing time between the male and female leads, making that movie feel less of a girlie/princess film than Frozen. It wasn't a horrible movie, but sadly I won't be buying Frozen on Blu-ray 3D like I thought I would. I give it 2 out of 5 stars.
Old 01-05-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
The writers established the fact that the Snow Queen froze everything she touched with her bare hands, so she wore gloves to prevent that, yet when she removes her second glove with her bare hand during the coronation scene the glove still on her hand doesn't freeze. Also, if her bare skin is what freezes things, how can she freeze a lake by walking on it while wearing shoes? Perhaps I missed a plot point or explanation in the story, but this seems like a continuity error.
She doesn't freeze everything automatically just by touching them, she can control it to an extent. Just not very well.
Old 01-05-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I also didn't like the fact that the male characters in Frozen all seem to take a backseat to the Snow Queen and her sister. I'm not suggesting the hero in a movie always has to be a man, but equal screen time would be nice.
Both male leads were very forgettable. Best not to have equal screen time in this one.
Old 01-06-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I almost forgot the part where Kristoff said to the Snow Queen's sister (forget her name) that she didn't even know if her new fiance picked his nose and ate his boogers. Then he muttered that "all men do." Seriously??? I noticed the film was written by a woman. I feel sorry for her if all the men in her life actually do that.
Old 01-06-14, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

A stray observation: After the accident they kept the powers from Anna but really went to the extremes with it. Elsa went with the "Aunt May is going to keel over and die if I tell her I'm Spider-Man" route. She could have told Anna at age 13 or something "Yo I have these powers. I gotta be careful with them though, since last time I used them you jumped in my fucking way and nearly got killed. So don't do that next time."
Old 01-06-14, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no problem in the male characters taking a backseat to the sisters. It is, after all, a film that centers around the love of two sisters.

I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. Very broadway musical feel to it.
Old 01-06-14, 07:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I find the outrage over the size of the male roles to be hilarious, considering most of movies out there only have females characters around for love interest or sex appeal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.