Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are some movies that had the most inaccurate depictions of people or events?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What are some movies that had the most inaccurate depictions of people or events?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: What are some movies that had the most inaccurate depictions of people or events?

Originally Posted by wm lopez
They did everything to portray Bruce as some saint by not showing how Bruce Lee died in some bimbo's apartment. In her bed!
That's how I plan to go out as well.
Old 12-09-12, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What are some movies that had the most inaccurate depictions of people or events?

I had just finished reading Bob Zmuda's excellent bio of Andy Kaufman around the time Man on the Moon came out which just made me dislike the movie even more with all the liberties they took. It's like they had a biopic storyline already in mind, and they just contorted Kaufman's life to make it fit into that preset notion.
Old 12-09-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Braveheart should be listed as a fantasy
Definitely. Braveheart got almost everything wrong. A real shame because the actual history is so much better than the stuff they made up in the movie.
Old 12-10-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the most accurate movie about Wong Fei Hung?
Old 12-10-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
I had just finished reading Bob Zmuda's excellent bio of Andy Kaufman around the time Man on the Moon came out which just made me dislike the movie even more with all the liberties they took. It's like they had a biopic storyline already in mind, and they just contorted Kaufman's life to make it fit into that preset notion.
Actually Zmuda's book itself was lambasted by people close to Kaufman.

But on the movie front, Kaufman's dad wrote an interesting piece from Kaufman's perspective about the movie:

http://andykaufman.jvlnet.com/realmotm.htm
Old 12-10-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Public Enemies - Besides Dillinger, all the on-screen deaths are inaccurate.
Old 12-10-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
I don't know much about Andy Kaufman but I feel like the filmmakers did something similar with The Social Network. It felt like they had this sort of "power corrupts" fable in mind and framed Zuckerberg's story to fit that mold.
Old 12-10-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
I think only a Hong Kong historian would know this. I would doubt there's even been a film that's even remotely accurate. As someone who's seen a lot of Wong Fei-Hung movies, I would call your attention to one from 1973 called MASTER OF KUNG FU with Ku Feng, which portrays him as an adult. It was definitely less fanciful than the others, although I wouldn't know if that makes it any more accurate or not.
Old 12-10-12, 05:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
Drunken Master, why not.
Old 12-10-12, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Shawshank Redemption - prisoners are not kept in the same cell for years, and sewer pipes would not be big enough for a human being to crawl through, much less dump their waste directly into the environment.

Braveheart - Robert the Bruce was never a traitor, and Scots didn't wear kilts back then.
They did wear kilts back then. It was the pattern that they didn't use like they did later on. Back then, the richer the person had a more complicated pattern. It didn't mean a particular family until the 1700s.
Old 12-10-12, 11:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Amadeus takes a lot of liberties. It tells a good story, but I think a more fact-based film about Salieri and Mozart would be just as interesting.
Old 12-10-12, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ali, mainly in that it wasn't Howard Cossell who interviewed Clay after beating Sonny Liston
Old 12-11-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
They did wear kilts back then. It was the pattern that they didn't use like they did later on. Back then, the richer the person had a more complicated pattern. It didn't mean a particular family until the 1700s.
Wait but on the Brave special features, they went to Scotland and did extensive research, saying that people didn't wear Kilts in the film's time period (1066 or so) but put them in anyway.

Plus Wikipedia said it originated in the 1500s or so.
Old 12-11-12, 12:19 AM
Banned

Braveheart took place in 1297 to 1314. They did have kilts at the time, but were rather plain. It was the richer people that had the plaid pattern on them. And the more money you had, the more intricate patterns you could have. The small kilt, (the little kilt that doesn't have the around the body sash), came about 1700. When they fought, they usually fought naked and painted blue.
Old 12-12-12, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Shawshank Redemption - prisoners are not kept in the same cell for years, and sewer pipes would not be big enough for a human being to crawl through, much less dump their waste directly into the environment.
Shawshank prison in the Novella and the movie was constructed at the end of the 19th century. A small prison in rural Maine built in the 1800s? I can certainly buy both of those things no problem. Oh, and it's fiction.
Old 12-12-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Braveheart took place in 1297 to 1314. They did have kilts at the time, but were rather plain. It was the richer people that had the plaid pattern on them. And the more money you had, the more intricate patterns you could have. The small kilt, (the little kilt that doesn't have the around the body sash), came about 1700. When they fought, they usually fought naked and painted blue.
They didn't have kilts back then, nor anything resembling them.
Old 12-12-12, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shazam
He doesn't understand the difference between subjective and objective. Do you expect him to understand a calendar?
Old 12-12-12, 07:32 PM
Banned

Yes. They did have kilts. But the pattern showing what family you belonged to didn't start until about the 1700s. Of course they had kilts. They just didn't wear them in battle. Kilts have been in Scotland since Roman times. It's the small kilt without the body wrap part that didn't come around until the 1700s. They started in Ireland around 1000 A.D.

Last edited by Spottedfeather; 12-12-12 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Premise
Remember The Titans - Gerry Bertier's accident came after the season was complete. He played in the state Championship game.
Also in rl they never lip synched to Aint No Mountain High Enough in the locker room. That was just something people were contractually obligated to do in feel good movies in the 90s and early 00's.
Old 12-13-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. They did have kilts. But the pattern showing what family you belonged to didn't start until about the 1700s. Of course they had kilts. They just didn't wear them in battle. Kilts have been in Scotland since Roman times. It's the small kilt without the body wrap part that didn't come around until the 1700s. They started in Ireland around 1000 A.D.
What the flying fuck are you talking about? Where the hell did you learn history? What you recognize as Scottish culture didn't even exist in Roman times.

You're on the internet. Back up your facts. Or at the very fucking least read some fucking Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotlan...e_Roman_Empire
Old 12-13-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=When+did+Scots+start+wearing+kilts
Old 12-13-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

What the flying fuck are you talking about? Where the hell did you learn history? What you recognize as Scottish culture didn't even exist in Roman times.

You're on the internet. Back up your facts. Or at the very fucking least read some fucking Wikipedia:

I want the History Channel to show BRAVEHEART, followed by a debate between Shazam and Spottedfeather.
Old 12-13-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I learned my history from this movie

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MOmFSflNiQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-13-12, 12:09 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
'The Great Escape'
What's so inaccurate about it? The bare framework of the story seems accurate. A bunch of British officers in an officer’s camp did indeed dig tunnels to make a "great escape" and nearly all of them were caught and killed. Only three escaped. Even all the business about how they concealed the dirt and used their beds to shore up the tunnels and made counterfeit documents and fake German uniforms, that seems very Hollywood but really did happen.

You probably mean that it is inaccurate because prison conditions were actually much worse, and that would be true, but I think it’s beside the point.
Old 12-13-12, 03:53 PM
Banned

You're saying Scotland didn't exist in Roman times ? What world are you living in ? As I've said, and you would know if you cared enough to read some actual history instead of just attacking people to attack them, they DID have kilts in the time of Braveheart. And they've had them since Roman times. The part you're talking about, this all holy Scottish culture you seem to know nothing about, the plaid, or tartan, pattern, denoting which family you belonged to, didn't start until the 1700s. I've backed up my facts instead of resorting to ridiculous name calling for absolutely no reason. And just to blow your mind even more, they had kilts in ancient egypt, too.