Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by brayzie
Then that means the teaser did its job in getting people to talk about the upcoming movie.
It's Star Wars, any official trailer would have done that job and elicited positive and negative extreme reactions on the internet.
Old 11-28-14, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's Star Wars, any official trailer would have done that job and elicited positive and negative extreme reactions on the internet.
so much this.

It's a goddamn teaser. It teased. it did its job. As previously stated... people are spoiled today w/ their teasers.
Old 11-28-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Back in the day we had to walk up hill in snow both ways to see teaser trailers.
Old 11-28-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
If he is seriously concentrating on the three original cast characters, he's definitely digging himself a big hole that he's gonna realize the true size of once as he starts cutting the movie.
I think what's likely to be the case is that The Force Awakens will have the most focus on Luke, Han, and Leia. It makes sense if you ask me, draw in the old fans who hated the prequels with that approach plus introduce new fans to the original trilogy. Now I don't think the entire film will only focus on the original cast, but I also think people who don't expect them to be in much of the film are being silly too. You don't market a film like this with the prospect that the original cast is returning and not do much with them or that'll just be irritating.

I think as Episodes VIII and IX come we'll see the original cast reduced to smaller roles, except maybe Luke who I expect to be the Obi-Wan/Yoda of the sequel trilogy.
Old 11-28-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Enough with Tatooine already!
An entire galaxy of endless possibilities... here's some more fucking sand.
Stupid, boring planet's already been in 5 of 6 SW movies (just so happens to be missing from the best one), and here it is again. yawn
Old 11-28-14, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
If he is seriously concentrating on the three original cast characters, he's definitely digging himself a big hole that he's gonna realize the true size of once as he starts cutting the movie.
Maybe.

What's encouraging is that, although I wouldn't call Abrams a great director, I haven't really seen anything he's done with anything as lazy and awkward as the oldsters in Crystal Skull. I tend to think he can inject some energy into these old farts so that at least they don't embarrass themselves.

And Ford was awesome on Kimmel. He was everything an old Han Solo should be in that short bit.

So I have hope.
Old 11-28-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

I feel pity for any person who works in a toy department of a store on Black Friday of 2015. Can you imagine the onslaught of merchandise that is going to be release before the premier on Xmas day?
Old 11-28-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^After Episode 1's blind merchandise release... yeeeeeeah, never fucking again.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Here's a cool article highlighting everything that's wrong with the lightsaber. The twitter pics are hilarious.

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/11...ase-hire-me-jj
Check out this mouth breather yap on about making a better lightsaber.. hurrr hurrr hurr.

You know, for complaining about nerd rage, you sure have a lot of it.

Me personally? I don't give a fuck. It looks entertaining and I'll watch it. I would think that people would have lowered their standards and the bar a little after the prequels.
Old 11-28-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I was hoping that Ripley was leading those stormtroopers back to LV-426.
Old 11-28-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It's just been done entirely too many times already. There's no reason what they're looking for couldn't be on, say, Voss or Ord Mantell or whatever.
Spoiler:
Why would Luke be hanging out there?
Old 11-28-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
A gif of the unnamed Sith & lightsaber I found.

You know nothing, Darth Snow.
Old 11-28-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That image actually looked really cool, with the snowstorm showing a dusting effect around the blade. I was kinda disappointment that the Kamino rain in AotC didn't interact more with Obi-wan's lightsaber.
Old 11-28-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
Yes, thank you!
That's exactly what it's like the way they keep going back to Tatooine.
Old 11-28-14, 08:07 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Based on some sweat and some heavy breathing. It's laughably absurd.
Forget Boyega. From this bit alone, I can already tell Miss Ridley is our next Meryl Streep:

Old 11-28-14, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda like that speeder bike, it almost looks like Luke's land speeder turned over on its side.
Old 11-28-14, 08:30 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm just surprised after reading that J.J. was going to such lengths to preserve the OT aesthetic that the cinematography itself looks so noticeably different. The handheld traveling shot of the bad guy walking through the forest, the quick zoom in of Ridley on the speeder... it may have energy, but it doesn't quite feel like a classic Star Wars movie. Abrams definitely seems to have stuck to his Star Trek '09 sensibilities when shooting this thing.

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I kinda like that speeder bike, it almost looks like Luke's land speeder turned over on its side.
A better look:

Spoiler:
Old 11-28-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think we can all agree that the PT was missing some magical, abstract quality that this trailer has in spades.

Oh, wait, it's the Speeder Bike shaped like a Jell-O Pudding Pop. That's definitely it.
Old 11-28-14, 08:34 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 11-28-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The broadsword light saber was cool but how the fuck would you keep it from shaving your thumbs right off? I know it's fantasy but functionality plays a part. Are we sure Lucas didn't consult on this project?
I'm wondering if it'll extend out even when someone swings others at it from both sides or maybe function as some kind of energy weapon. I get the distinct sense that they wanted it to look cool before considering the function. And I must admit, it does look cool.
Old 11-28-14, 08:38 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 11-28-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Spoiler:
Why would he be hiding on the same planet he grew up on? Or his father grew up on?

If you lived your entire life in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, and you were HIDING from EVERYONE... why would you go to Columbus, Ohio?
Old 11-28-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Spoiler:
If he's in hiding why would he go to the place he spent 18 years growing up on(with his aunt & uncle), revisited to take down Jabba (and probably gained some notoriety for) and where his father spent the first ten years of his life?

Originally Posted by Strevlac
The only thing laughably absurd is your gross exaggeration of my initial reaction.
Yes it was an exaggeration... for a laugh, nothing more.

I'm assuming you saw those prequel things, right? I'm just happy to see a character in a Star Wars movie who looks like he's having a real emotional reaction to something. It's kind of a big deal considering the shit that came before.
Yeah, the bulk of the acting in the PT is bad but it has its moments. Saying a 30 second trailer has more emotion and better acting than 7 hours of film... now that's a "gross exaggeration" and the hyperbole I'm talking about.

But, I know you're here to make fun of people who are excited for this (the guy with the ducktales avatar and hyped up reaction for that terrible looking JP trailer), so by all means please continue posting the "we ain't found shit!" meme for the 1000th time. I'm sure that's not going to get old between now and next Dec.
First, I'm not making fun of anyone. Just pointing out the absurd level of hyperbole getting posted. I'm a huge SW nerd, I'm just not going apeshit over a mediocre teaser. I just wanted a little more substance to it.

Second, I posted a pic from Spaceballs once because it was the first thing that came to mind seeing the teaser. Also... not a meme. I quoted the other one because it was easier than finding a shot of the guy without the subtitle... but we can put that into the "gross exaggeration" pool.

And yeah, Jurassic World looks more interesting to me at this point. The trailer had a flow to it and a decent score to go with it vs. some random clips thrown together. Honestly, the Episode 1 trailer mops the floor with this one. Even with Jar Jar, the trailer was a finely crafted piece of work. Granted that was a full trailer vs. a teaser, too bad the movie was shit. Also if you must know, my two daughters are huge into anything Jurassic Park right now, so JW is kind of a big deal around here right now.

Not sure what a DuckTales avatar has to do with anything, but rock on.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-28-14 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 09:11 PM

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
What if the lightsaber was made from adamantium?

*runs from thread*
Ugh, not this again...
Old 11-28-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I'm just surprised after reading that J.J. was going to such lengths to preserve the OT aesthetic that the cinematography itself looks so noticeably different. The handheld traveling shot of the bad guy walking through the forest, the quick zoom in of Ridley on the speeder... it may have energy, but it doesn't quite feel like a classic Star Wars movie. Abrams definitely seems to have stuck to his Star Trek '09 sensibilities when shooting this thing.
Yeah, I think we'll definitely see a more active camera, and even an upgrade of the tech in the universe (which was already updated in the prequels anyways.) I think it'll work fine, at least you can accept it more as a viewer because it's a sequel set and made much further along in time. (still doesn't explain the prequels tho, but...I think once we've got a few of these new ones released most of us just might go back to thinking of Episode 4 as the first one - if we arent already, lol)

I really hope that the first spinoff rumors are true - a story set just before ANH, when a band of rebels/bounty hunters acquire the death star plans. That'd be cool... hopefully if that's the case Gareth would actually try to copy the film style of the 70's a bit more.
Old 11-28-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I really hope that the first spinoff rumors are true - a story set just before ANH, when a band of rebels/bounty hunters acquire the death star plans. That'd be cool... hopefully if that's the case Gareth would actually try to copy the film style of the 70's a bit more.
I do like this idea. I'm surprised it hasn't been done in the comics, novels or Clone Wars show. I think you'd need at least one familiar face though to tie into the universe. Not sure who that'd be. Maybe they can flesh out Admiral Ackbar some before he was an Admiral.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.