Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 10-22-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

^^ That "character" in the spoiler looks super-imposed.
Old 10-22-14, 12:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

Originally Posted by Timber
I thought Luke confirmed it after the reveal in ESB? When Vader communicates with him via the force from onboard the star destroyer. Luke calls him father.
My father always explained it to me as Luke was in shock at that time. He certainly wasn't in the right frame of mind.

You could make the same argument about the Rebels. The only alien we ever see on Yavin and Hoth is Chewie, and he's only there because of Han. In Jedi we do get Admiral Akbar's ship and Nien Nunb (who might just be a pal of Lando's for all we know), but 99% of the attack force is human.

Maybe different parts of the galaxy are dominated by different species within the Empire, and the story just happens to focus on the Rebels and Imperial forces in the human area.[/QUOTE]

Although not stated on-screen, most planets/species were hesitant to side with the Rebellion until after the Death Star incident, their first major victory.
Old 10-27-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A reliable source just said JW recieved a trailer from JJ Abrams on Monday, Oct 20. JW has already written new Star Wars music to accompany this trailer. This new trailer music will feature new music and will be recorded on November 15 in LA with full orchestra. Still determining if the score will be recorded in London due to advanced age of composer/conductor. 14 hour flight to LA not too kind on 82 year old. This is all a secret at this message will be deleted shortly.
http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.ph...c=24791&page=4
Old 10-28-14, 08:07 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That doesn't even look practical even for a set.
Old 10-28-14, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_b
This is allegedly a "leaked" photo of a villain from the movie. The impractical lightsaber design makes me question it's authenticity.

Spoiler:
How the hell do you twirl that thing without losing a hand?

I'm pretty sure that is Darth Revan from the KOTOR video game.

It looks like they took a regular sword, photoshopped the hilt off, and replaced it with "mini-lightsabers" coming out where the hilt was. It looks utterly idiotic, and I don't believe it for a second, especially since that looks so much like a Darth Revan cosplayer.

Pic of Darth Revan and Darth Malak from Knights of the Old Republic:

Old 10-28-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

The character design is sort of cool, but yeah the lightsaber he's holding looks stupid.
Old 10-28-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_b
This is allegedly a "leaked" photo of a villain from the movie. The impractical lightsaber design makes me question it's authenticity.

Spoiler:
How the hell do you twirl that thing without losing a hand?

Confirmed as real by Making Star Wars, but he's saying the lightsaber is gonna be different: http://makingstarwars.net/2014/10/st...-viis-bad-guy/

As you may have seen, Star Wars Underworld released a pic of the bad guy last night. This morning I woke up to a barrage of “is it real” emails, texts, telegraphs, and those creepy owls from Harry Potter, all asking me if I knew anything. I do know a bit.

What have I seen, heard, and what do I know? Well, the person in the armor is “the” cyborg and that is his armor for battle. In other words, this is the mask the phantom wears to cover his mangled face. His final design is closer to the crusader knight design but with some small variations.

Is the saber the final version? I’ve heard of different variations to it. One version of the new laser sword is like He-Man’s sword. The guard has two lasers that shoot into the main laser blade. I’ve heard of the hilt in the same style as above made of crystal and bone. The takeaway? His lightsaber will be different but probably have a cross guard at the top of the hilt as pictured above.

Now, the masks I have seen are a little different. The one I have seen is on the same background as the Chrome Stormtrooper Indie Revolver released

I am fairly certain the design I have seen and the Chrome Trooper above are part of the same group of evil dudes.

The mask on what I have seen differs from the Star Wars Underworld mask. The mark is more like a crusader night. Just a shiny red metallic mask with a single visor straight across the front. Basically the red mask is like a helmet with a faceplate and visor that is a thin black line. His lightsaber is red, not orange like some depictions we have seen of bad guys in the past. He looks like Darth Revan mixed with the Emperor’s Royal Guards from the previous six Star Wars films.

The evolution of the character’s art also suggests he is a cyborg. Most of the concepts show a lot of mechanical bits and pieces around the character’s body.

In some pieces around this design, the character has a purple lightsaber. Sometimes two sabers. In one he even appears to have the black lightsaber that Pre Vizsla had in The Clone Wars and eventually became Maul’s weapon of choice.

One of the cooler designs for the helmet had a face plate with a cut out for the mouth like Doctor Doom and just two round holes for the eyes. It was simple and creepy.

So yeah, the concept is real.
and Indie Revolver confirmed it as well: http://indierevolver.com/2014/10/28/...ng-lightsaber/

Star Wars Underworld has posted a new image that was anonymously posted to an imageshack account purporting to be a piece of concept art from Episode VII of a villain holding a very strange looking lightsaber. I respect their hesitation to claim any authenticity related to the image – it’s nice to see some restraint with Star Wars news on the internet. However, I can confirm that not only is this legitimate production art but that this particular concept made its way through pre-production and into the film. This character and his lightbroadsword have filmed scenes in England.
I think it looks pretty badass, i like the little lasers coming out at the botttom, it's a different take on the lightsaber but it wouldn't kill me if they made it dfifferent than whats posted.
Old 10-29-14, 02:28 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

One thing that made me suspect it might be legit: A user on TheForce.net boards claimed back in September that they saw some footage of Adam Driver using a red light saber with a "cross light" on the handle. They said it was a fight scene with Boyega and Ridley that took place in a forest with falling snow -- which sort of lines up with one of the pieces of concept art that later got leaked.
Old 10-30-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

A saber fight in the snow sounds cool.

News today say IMAX camera only being used in one sequence. I'm guessing a space battle. Also wondering why 65mm and not 70mm?
Old 10-30-14, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
News today say IMAX camera only being used in one sequence. I'm guessing a space battle.
They had the IMAX camera in Abu Dhabi, but the concept art showed
Spoiler:
a flaming TIE fighter crashed in the desert, so the sequence could start off in space.
Old 10-31-14, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A saber fight in the forest with snow sounds epic.
fixed
Old 10-31-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

A saber fight in the snow sounds cool.
Cold, even.
Old 10-31-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

New photo of Mark Hammil at Pinewood Studios. Shouldn't really be spoilery (he's not in costume):

Spoiler:

Last edited by windom; 10-31-14 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 02:06 PM

Chicken Throwers unite!

Either they just finished shooting his scenes or he's filming sans beard for a brief period. Either way, principal photography is about to wrap. These thank you notes have been handed out to cast and crewmembers:

Spoiler:
I think Carrie is still on set, as she tweeted about being in costume all day and still not getting any treats for Halloween.

UPDATE: That's a wrap!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...isode-VII.html

Wrap party was held Saturday at the Science Museum. Doesn't look like Harrison and Mark were autographing shit that night.

Last edited by joe_b; 11-03-14 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read a rumor on Yahoo that perhaps a teaser trailer is going to accompany Big Hero 6 or Into the Woods -- so before the end of this year. I highly doubt that will happen.
Old 11-03-14, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh. A teaser can be released. It's a teaser. Doesn't mean it needs footage.
Old 11-03-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

I suspect that the first real trailer will debut in front Avengers: Age of Ultron.

If a teaser does come out this month or next month, it probably won't have much in the way of new footage. It will either reuse stuff from the OT, or just show some general stuff like light sabres or the millennium falcon and say "Next Christmas... Return to a galaxy far, far away. Star Wars. Episode seven."

I do wonder when we'll get a title. I don't recall how long it took them to drop the PT titles.

ETA: Did a bit of digging and it looks like the prequel titles were dropped about nine months before the films were released. So, if past is prologue, we should get a title sometime around March. Also looks like the trailer for TPM was released a couple of months later, so that put the trailer release sometime around May.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 11-03-14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-03-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well sheeeeeeeeeet.
Old 11-03-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
ETA: Did a bit of digging and it looks like the prequel titles were dropped about nine months before the films were released. So, if past is prologue, we should get a title sometime around March. Also looks like the trailer for TPM was released a couple of months later, so that put the trailer release sometime around May.

I wouldn't go off previous trailer releases, this is a different company. One that wants to recoup it's $4 billion investment asap.
Old 11-03-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

What are the odds of putting some kind of teaser on a new Bluray release of the other movies? Maybe even the original trilogy?
Old 11-03-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
What are the odds of putting some kind of teaser on a new Bluray release of the other movies? Maybe even the original trilogy?
Even if there's a blu-ray release of the originals coming at some point (and I believe that there is), it's not going to come out at a point in time when a teaser would even be relevant anymore.
Old 11-03-14, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom
C3PO: The odds of a new Blu-ray release before the end of 2015 are approximately 3,720 to 1!
Han Solo: Never tell me the odds!

While I do believe Disney will re-release the OT again, I seriously doubt it will be within the next year. It will most likely be in 2017 for the 40th anniversary. Star Wars is almost 40 years old... that makes me feel old... (I was born in 1979 so I am two years younger than Star Wars.)
Old 11-03-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Disney doesn't have the video rights or the theatrical distribution rights for any previous Star Wars film.

Disney now owns the company that was previously refusing to release the OOT but even if the under-new-management LucasFilm now agrees to release them they'll still be released via 20th Century Fox.
Old 11-03-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
New photo of Mark Hammil at Pinewood Studios. Shouldn't really be spoilery (he's not in costume):

Spoiler:
Hamill actually looks pretty good there to me, at least compared with pictures I've seen of him in more recent years. I know that he had to lose weight and stuff for this film. I'm pretty stoked about seeing this. Really wish it wasn't a year away.
Old 11-03-14, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Disney doesn't have the video rights or the theatrical distribution rights for any previous Star Wars film.

Disney now owns the company that was previously refusing to release the OOT but even if the under-new-management LucasFilm now agrees to release them they'll still be released via 20th Century Fox.
So since they are owned by different companies, we will never see an enormous box set with all nine movies?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.