Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies where you Can't Handle the Ending

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 08:07 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not hate the ending, not like the ending, ones where you really can't handle the ending

Obviously need to use Spoilers

for me Leon the Professional

Spoiler:
There has to be a version where he doesn't die, it wouldn't be so bad if this movie was a normal action movie, its not, it's a character study of two people who form an unlikely unique relationship, not quite father/daughter, not quite boyfriend/girlfriend, somewhere inbetween
Old 03-05-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Movies where you Can't Handle the Ending

So basically endings that induce rage? I can't even right now.
Old 03-05-15, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....why would you want Leon to go that way? That's disgusting, man. She's just a kid. That's pedophilia. I know Besson is European but older men having sex w/ a very obvious underage teen is just wrong. Jean Reno is not Jeremy Irons.

wow. Just wow.
Old 03-05-15, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
....why would you want Leon to go that way? That's disgusting, man. She's just a kid. That's pedophilia. I know Besson is European but older men having sex w/ a very obvious underage teen is just wrong. Jean Reno is not Jeremy Irons.

wow. Just wow.
This x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Natalie Portman was 12 or 13 years old in that movie.

Reno and Portman weren't boyfriend and girlfriend at all. There was no real attraction between them. Portman's character was just then hitting puberty and becoming sexually aware and exploring stuff. She wasn't really attracted to Reno's character. It was nothing more than teenage hormonal lust.
Old 03-05-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was a mentor/student relationship, the proposed sequel, Mathilda, would have followed her following in his footsteps.
Old 03-05-15, 10:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It seems the overwhelming answer to this question is Leon: The Original Desmond Sexy Times Cut.
Old 03-05-15, 10:46 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

This is a weird thread.
Old 03-05-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

On that same subject, am I the only one who wanted Three Men and a Baby to end with a foursome? I can't be the only one, right?
Old 03-05-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

The original script of Léon was more in your face with the pedophile vibe (including a scene where Mathilda walks in naked into the shower with Léon). The pedophile fantasy vibe was very strong and Portman's parents insisted on rewrites before they agreed to allow her in the movie.

Léon: The Controversial Original Script

Note to Readers: Some of the content featured in this article may offend readers. If you consider yourself a fan of Léon or it’s director and writer, Luc Besson, I do not wish to ruin your enjoyment of this and other films through this article. I readily suggest you read any of the host of other articles featured on the site.

While the translation from script to screen is often a tumultuous journey for any film, Léon is one that may have seen a drastically different reception in cinemas without some adjusting. In a previous article, I discussed the differences between the domestic and international versions of Léon; Primarily the addition of twenty minutes of footage in which Mathilda accompanies Léon to a number of hits, gets drunk, threatens suicide and attempts to seduce him. If you’ve never seen the extended version of the film, this hunk of footage sits neatly and squarely in the center of the film. It’s a decidedly harried and demanding few minutes of film for the young Natalie Portman in her first performance.

After the film was cast, the script went through a series of revisions, reportedly at the request of Portman’s parents. As Besson was seemingly desperate to cast the young actress, he attended to their requests and revised the script to accomodate a younger Mathilda (in the original script, she is thought to be 13 or 14). Though at the time the parents were painted in a somewhat unflattering light for their demands, were they presented with the original version of the script, it’s hard to understand how they could not make such requests.

Again kids, this is some pretty hardcore stuff. If you want to back out now, no one would blame you. If you have not seen the film at all, what follows won’t make you want to.

In the original scripted version of the film, events proceed as normal until roughly the time that Mathilda learns how to fire a weapon. In the film, Mathilda uses a sniper rifle to blast two paintballs right into the gut of a politician jogging in Central Park. She was just practicing. In the scripted version she actually shoots (and kills? The script is ambiguous) two people… without much concern at all. That’s just getting started.

From there, imagine every scenario in the film cranked just one notch more. Mathilda doesn’t just accompany Léon on his missions, she actually does her own fair share of the killing. Mission to mission, she’s firing guns and escalating the sexual tension between herself and Léon. What happens next is a bit shocking.

This bit of dialogue may be somewhat familiar to anyone who has seen the extended version of the film. Mathilda says that she is in love with Léon and would like him to be her “first lover”. In the extended version, they sleep, separate but together in the same bed. In the scripted version, they make love.

Obviously morals vary from culture to culture. I’m sure there are many people around the world who live in a culture where the age of consent is low or unstated. For the record, age of consent in France is 15. Even in cultures where Mathilda and Léon might be allowed to be together lawfully, it may still be considered a morally ambiguous act.

Roughly in and around the same time, writer/director Luc Besson was involved in a romantic relationship with Maïwenn Le Besco. The two had a child together. The young actress appears in Léon as the prostitute at the beginning of the film, and again in The Fifth Element as the blue-horned operatic Diva Plavalaguna. During the filming of The Fifth Element (Besson’s follow up to Léon) Le Besco and Besson were engaged married (edit: my research was a bit fuzzy on this, but please see Rebecca’s excellent summary on Le Besco and Besson’s relationship in the comments) but having become enamored of his star Milla Jovovich, broke it off. Eventually Jovovich and Besson were married (briefly, less than two years) and Le Besco returned to relative obscurity (on the international scale) to raise their child. Le Besco resurfaced earning international critical acclaim for her 2011 film Polisse, in which she stars and directs.

While it’s not an incredibly tangible correlation, it’s important to note that Besson served as both writer and director on the film and that Maïwenn Le Besco was just 16 years old when she gave birth to their child. Whether Mathilda and Maïwenn mirror each other in other ways outside of their relationships with older men is likely a secret best kept between the former lovers.

From there, the screenplay continues much the same with one notable difference. In the film, Léon is executed by Stansfield… but Léon gets the last laugh by detonating a host of grenades strapped to his body. Mathilda makes it to safety and eventually returns to school. In the script, Léon is executed by Stansfield just the same, but stands lingering over his body. Mathilda, having witnessed the whole thing, approaches Stansfield as an innocent little girl. She reveals the vest of grenades and detonates, killing herself, Stansfield and obliterating what is left of Léon. This ending is quite a bit more Romeo and Juliet. It’s also quite a bit of a downer.

I can only imagine the reactions of audiences around the world to an ending like that. Certainly not your standard American fare! Before you cast Besson into the pit with Polanski, keep in mind that what made it to the screen is a well crafted film. It is regular practice for writers and directors to “overwrite” a script so that when their demands are not met, they are able to realize a compromised vision that still pushes the envelope. Though I am in no way stating that was Besson’s intention. As the movie going audience, we regularly excuse the hysteria of celebrity so that actors can tell the compelling stories that enrich our lives. In the cases of actors like Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson or Lindsay Lohan, their cult of personality has eclipsed their ability to work effectively on the screen. I hope the revelations in this article have not similarly hampered your enjoyment of Besson’s films.

Should you be interested in reading Besson’s original scripted take on the film, you can do so here.
Old 03-05-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Age difference issues aside, I disagree completely with the OP anyway. The movie would have far less gravitas if
Spoiler:
Leon lived.
Old 03-05-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Two movies that come to mind are:
Chef
Spoiler:
The remarriage coda felt completely tacked on and totally unearned. And it soured what I thought was an otherwise poignant exploration of a divorced father-son relationship.

The Game
Spoiler:
I know the ending points to certain themes, but I think they're rather trite and plot-wise it just feels like a huge cop out. I should really watch this one again though, because it's been a long time.
Old 03-05-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As stated a million times already...I would have liked to see a follow up.
Old 03-05-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
Two movies that come to mind are:
Chef
Spoiler:
The remarriage coda felt completely tacked on and totally unearned. And it soured what I thought was an otherwise poignant exploration of a divorced father-son relationship.
I agree, at least on my first watch of the movie, it kind of bugged me. But I've since rewatched the movie numerous times and frankly it suits the movie. The entire thing is a fantasy and completely unrealistic and that's part of what makes it so great. It's just an all around, total and complete "feel good" movie.
Old 03-05-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The original ending in that article about Leon sounds even better than the one used for the film.
Old 03-05-15, 12:43 PM
Banned

aside from the sex, I think I would have liked to have seen that ending more.
Old 03-05-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The reason the ending to Leon is so rough is that she gave him a reason to live. It has nothing to do with anything romantic or sexual. He finally got a taste of life, and then lost it.
Old 03-05-15, 12:53 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
It seems the overwhelming answer to this question is Leon: The Original Desmond Sexy Times Cut.
Old 03-05-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

He was just doing research, man. RESEARCH!!
Old 03-05-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

That ending only works if you exclude the police station sequence where Stansfield captures Mathilda in the bathroom. He knows what she looks like and wouldn't be fooled at the end into thinking she's just some innocent little girl.
Old 03-05-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

For me it's always The Iron Giant.

Spoiler:
The movie ends PERFECTLY with the Giant sacrificing himself to save the town. The "Superman" line gives me chills just thinking about it. And it solves the problem of what to do with this giant alien robot. But OH WAIT he survived. So no sacrifice and we still have the problem of a big giant robot on this planet...but gotta give the parents a happier ending so they don't have to tackle the topic of death with Lil' Susie too early.

Now I'm pissed off about it all over again.
Old 03-05-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222
The original ending in that article about Leon sounds even better than the one used for the film.
I guess it may be a matter of taste, but I couldn't disagree more. The ending of Leon is perfect as-is...
Spoiler:
Mathilda gives Leon joy in life and he tragically but heroically sacrifices himself for her sake and for the sake of revenge on her behalf. Mathilda lives, but her innocence is far far gone. That scripted ending would have been too heavy-handed, both in its tragedy and its more straightforward resolution of vengeance. If Leon had lived, it would have made it less tragic and far more of a by-the-numbers action hero movie. The existing ending strikes the perfect balance, in my opinion. It also wonderfully sets up the potential awesome sequel of a jaded adult Mathilda as a badass contract killer that we've sadly never gotten.
Old 03-05-15, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
I agree, at least on my first watch of the movie, it kind of bugged me. But I've since rewatched the movie numerous times and frankly it suits the movie. The entire thing is a fantasy and completely unrealistic and that's part of what makes it so great. It's just an all around, total and complete "feel good" movie.
That's fair. I agree about many plot points being fantasy and completely unrealistic. I think my main complaint is that the "feel goodness" of the father-son relationship is well developed, while the "feel goodness" of
Spoiler:
the relationship with the ex
comes almost out of nowhere at the end.
Old 03-05-15, 04:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only one I can think of, and it was because I saw it when I was nine or ten, was Sooky (1931) a sequel to Skippy (also 1931), based on the Percy Crosby comic strip. The ending threw me because

Spoiler:
Sooky's mother dies (tuberculosis).

Didn't see that coming. Especially in what seemed like a comedy about kids wanting to join a club and adult election rivalry.

ADDITION (August 2015): Thought of another one: Looking for Mr. Goodbar. Saw it in a theater, not really knowing what it was about. The ending came out of left field.

Last edited by digidoh; 12-30-15 at 06:46 PM. Reason: improved(?) the grammar
Old 03-05-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's fair. I agree about many plot points being fantasy and completely unrealistic. I think my main complaint is that the "feel goodness" of the father-son relationship is well developed, while the "feel goodness" of
Spoiler:
the relationship with the ex
comes almost out of nowhere at the end.
If you said that about
Spoiler:
him getting the restaurant
I'd agree in a heartbeat, as for
Spoiler:
the wife, I disagree a little bit, just because they built them up as having a great relationship from the get go, she flies him to Miami, gets her ex-husband to give him a food truck, pushes him to chase his dreams, the whole "I love you" on the phone thing, etc;
they didn't work hard for it mind you, but it isn't entirely out of the blue.
Old 03-05-15, 05:30 PM
Banned

I guess it may be a matter of taste, but I couldn't disagree more. The ending of Leon is perfect as-is...
Spoiler:
Mathilda gives Leon joy in life and he tragically but heroically sacrifices himself for her sake and for the sake of revenge on her behalf. Mathilda lives, but her innocence is far far gone. That scripted ending would have been too heavy-handed, both in its tragedy and its more straightforward resolution of vengeance. If Leon had lived, it would have made it less tragic and far more of a by-the-numbers action hero movie. The existing ending strikes the perfect balance, in my opinion. It also wonderfully sets up the potential awesome sequel of a jaded adult Mathilda as a badass contract killer that we've sadly never gotten.
Oh, I'm not saying it's better but just the imagery would be interesting for me to enjoy it.

Damn. Now I want to see the BD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.