Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Peanuts (2015) S: Snoopy, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Peanuts (2015) S: Snoopy, et al

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-14, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Collectively I've heard of the cartoon referred to as Snoopy or Charlie Brown more than I ever heard the actual name Peanuts, so I assume a ton of Snoopy wouldn't be bad for advertising
Definitely, probably doesn't help that the famous holiday movies reference their names opposed to Peanuts.
Old 01-05-15, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Peanuts (2015) S: Snoopy, et al

Slightly different situation for the setting.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tsSjtzBhnIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-26-15, 12:58 PM
Banned

Again... crappy insertion of modern popular songs but otherwise.... I'm still excited for this.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zNLdrsifXGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-26-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm still really excited for this film. Looks like it's going to be a great time and the tone feels in line with that of the comic strips and the old tv specials. Should be good. I feel like most of the modern music is just there for the trailers to appeal to the casual viewers but I bet it's not in the actual film.
Old 09-26-15, 01:41 PM
Banned

I bet it isn't. It just immediately sticks out horribly. Much like Shaun the Sheep's trailers.
Old 09-26-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

After Paddington, super excited for this film. Love the old school cartoons getting movies. Now hoping it crushes in the box office and beats out Minions and Frozen.
Old 09-26-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

It looks amazing they captured the spirit of Charlie Brown.

@55secs kid brought back that funny dance!

Old 09-26-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Looks good. Still amazed they were able to capture the look, feel and style of 2D in the transition to 3D.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Now hoping it crushes in the box office and beats out Minions and Frozen.
Keep dreaming, kid.
Old 09-26-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Yep, looks like they managed to keep the spirit of the original strip/specials.

Still, horrible studio decision to release it the same day as SPECTRE. Underestimating the adult audience for this.
Old 09-26-15, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Agreed. I almost think this might appeal more to adults than kids in some ways. I'm not really sure if the Peanuts brand has a large appeal to younger kids now days. Aside from the specials that air there really isn't much in the way of the characters that I see other than those MetLife insurance commercials. Although I'm sure being an animated feature focusing on kids this film could turn that around.
Old 09-27-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't mind the modern music at all. Still loving the animation, down to the fur on Snoopy which is neat to see.
Old 09-27-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looks good. Still amazed they were able to capture the look, feel and style of 2D in the transition to 3D.

Keep dreaming, kid.
I will lol. It has 3D (which will help) and it's good for all ages. It's good for all ages (grandparents to kids). As long as there is no big kids movie coming out (got a war before Star Wars which kids will flock to) should hold up well. I guess the bigger question is the overseas appeal.
Old 09-27-15, 02:40 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

I'm still in too.

Also wondering how this will play to younger kids. My nieces/nephews really don't know much about the Peanuts characters. They know Snoopy, but mostly from the Kings Island theme park here.
Old 09-28-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I'm still in too.

Also wondering how this will play to younger kids. My nieces/nephews really don't know much about the Peanuts characters. They know Snoopy, but mostly from the Kings Island theme park here.
Probably about the same way the Muppets play to kids, so-so, but nothing that's going to break box office records.
Old 11-07-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. I'd urge anyone who is a fan of the Peanuts, either from the comic strips or television specials, to go see this. There were lots of kids at the showing I went to, but I couldn't really tel if they enjoyed it or not. It was very obvious that the adults in the audience enjoyed it though.

They really nailed the tone and spirit of the comic strips and television specials. It was charming, funny, heart-warming, and touching. It played on our nostalgia for the characters, but it didn't use that as a crutch to pass off an inferior product. The story was classic Peanuts and not unlike something we've seen before, but it was thoroughly enjoyable and definitely a story worth telling. The message was also a very positive one for kids.

I had some concerns about the use of modern music in the film, but picked up the soundtrack beforehand from Target (had a bonus track) and felt pretty good about it going in as the bulk of the score by Christophe Beck utilizes the original music from the Vince Guaraldi Trio in a new way or captures the spirit of the original music. They only used one or two "pop" songs during the film itself, but they fit the scenes and were actually used pretty subtly.

The computer animation updated the characters, but still kept the feel of the older animation. It was really just beautifully animated and I can't really think of another movie that has had animation quite like this one. They also used animated strips when Charlie Brown was recalling a memory of something which was great.
Old 11-07-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. I'd urge anyone who is a fan of the Peanuts, either from the comic strips or television specials, to go see this. There were lots of kids at the showing I went to, but I couldn't really tel if they enjoyed it or not. It was very obvious that the adults in the audience enjoyed it though.

They really nailed the tone and spirit of the comic strips and television specials. It was charming, funny, heart-warming, and touching. It played on our nostalgia for the characters, but it didn't use that as a crutch to pass off an inferior product. The story was classic Peanuts and not unlike something we've seen before, but it was thoroughly enjoyable and definitely a story worth telling. The message was also a very positive one for kids.

I had some concerns about the use of modern music in the film, but picked up the soundtrack beforehand from Target (had a bonus track) and felt pretty good about it going in as the bulk of the score by Christophe Beck utilizes the original music from the Vince Guaraldi Trio in a new way or captures the spirit of the original music. They only used one or two "pop" songs during the film itself, but they fit the scenes and were actually used pretty subtly.

The computer animation updated the characters, but still kept the feel of the older animation. It was really just beautifully animated and I can't really think of another movie that has had animation quite like this one. They also used animated strips when Charlie Brown was recalling a memory of something which was great.
Yeah this got a coveted A+ on Cinemascore from individuals under 18 which bodes well for it in the long run. It's also on track to open close to $50m this weekend.
Old 11-07-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Saw it with my 10 year old in a pretty packed theater. The kids in the audience barely laughed and didn't seem into it. It definitely relied a lot on nostalgia value using references to old Peanuts premises like the red baron. The kids seemed confused by Snoopy's use of a typewriter and when Charlie Brown got tangled up in an old school phone cord. My wife and I laughed more than most of the kids in the theater. I think they may have misjudged the target audience.
Old 11-08-15, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Next time she moves the football, he should kick the bitch in the teeth!
'I got a rock!' How hilarious! He's abused and will grow up to be a serial killer!"
My dad

"Um, dad? It's a comic strip. Calm down."
Me
Old 11-09-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I liked it too. We went to a 6 p.m. 2-D show on Sunday night, and it was pretty empty, but the kids seemed to understand Peanuts and get the jokes. I really thought it captured the spirit of the strip and had some nice inside jokes (Mendelson & Melendez Moving, Lil Folks), the voices seemed right, and the "fur team" did a nice job of fuzzifying Snoopy. I could've used 10 fewer minutes of the World War I flying ace, though.
Old 11-11-15, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My goodness, not sure if any of you saw this in 3D, but it is truly beautiful. Probably one of the best 3D animated films. Very true to the comics and cartoons. So glad that this and Paddington did an amazing job. Saw this Tuesday night with a few people in the audience but as others said, a lot of laughter from the adults. You had the classic music, the classic love stories, and of course, a lot of Charlie Brown mishaps. I really hope they do a sequel as I would love to continue watching the Peanuts on screen.
Old 11-11-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I could've used 10 fewer minutes of the World War I flying ace, though.
If they did a lot of it, I imagine it was to highlight the 3D more. Even that motion-capture version of A Christmas Carol had a chase sequence.
Old 11-11-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I liked it too. We went to a 6 p.m. 2-D show on Sunday night, and it was pretty empty, but the kids seemed to understand Peanuts and get the jokes. I really thought it captured the spirit of the strip and had some nice inside jokes (Mendelson & Melendez Moving, Lil Folks), the voices seemed right, and the "fur team" did a nice job of fuzzifying Snoopy. I could've used 10 fewer minutes of the World War I flying ace, though.
Were you surprised they never used the Lucy pulling the football out before Charlie could kick it gag? It seems like they referenced a lot of the original gags except possibly the most famous.
Old 11-11-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Were you surprised they never used the Lucy pulling the football out before Charlie could kick it gag? It seems like they referenced a lot of the original gags except possibly the most famous.
Sounds like you left too soon.
Old 11-16-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
If they did a lot of it, I imagine it was to highlight the 3D more. Even that motion-capture version of A Christmas Carol had a chase sequence.
Yeah, there were sequences that were obviously made for 3-D.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Sounds like you left too soon.
Thank you! I was sure I'd seen a football scene and was sure it wasn't from the Bon Voyage movie I'd watched a few days later. But the question made me doubt myself.
Old 11-16-15, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Thank you! I was sure I'd seen a football scene and was sure it wasn't from the Bon Voyage movie I'd watched a few days later. But the question made me doubt myself.
Yeah, it was after the first part of the credits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.