Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

And your 2013 Oscar host is...Seth MacFarlane!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

And your 2013 Oscar host is...Seth MacFarlane!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: And your 2013 Oscar host is...Seth MacFarlane!

I'm fine with the choice, but it shows pretty clearly that the Academy is still going after a demographic that really just doesn't care about a 4-hour show where rich people hand out trophies to each other.
Old 10-02-12, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

^^Hand out trophies to movies only liberal elites care about.
Old 10-02-12, 08:01 AM

I don't see why Jerry Seinfeld would host something like this - what's in it for him? If he does a good show, what are people going to say, "keep your eye on that new up-and-comer"?

Though the chances of pulling off a good show are almost nil to begin with, just because of what the show is. Seems like a no-win situation.
Old 10-02-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It could be his chance to prove he'd be a good replacement for David Letterman.
Old 10-02-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm game. Can't be worse than Hathaway/Franco.
Old 10-02-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

That reminds me. I completely skipped the Oscars last year.
Old 10-02-12, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I'm just surprised so many of you are fans of Seth.
I'm not.
Old 10-02-12, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
^^Hand out trophies to movies only liberal elites care about.
I was thinking that!
Old 10-02-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I liked Family Guy after its demise on TV, when the DVDs were hot, but now I think it sucks. His other shows suck even more.

But I strangely like the guy. He's got an energetic personality that I think could translate well to hosting this typically-crap show. I know I'll cringe when he busts out his usual voices, or breaks into song and dance, but I hope some of his acerbic wit comes through during the monologues.
Old 10-02-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how he pulls his crap together and navigates a lengthy ceremony. It's not like Peter Griffin or Stan Smith will be hosting -- well, at least one can hope.

Not a fan of the choice, and I'd rather see many other capable hosts take the reins, but at least watching it will be an experience (experiment), right? Of course, if the above video is an indication of what's to come, then we're all in trouble.
Old 10-02-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think this might be a case where McFarlane's fans and young people who might tune in will be entertained, but a few of the traditionalists will not be amused. I have several friends who would never watch awards shows already say they're interested due to McFarlane's involvement, so it seems to be working. I see McFarlane's material undergoing a LOT of vetting before the broadcast , as he can be quite brutal on his shows towards celebrities. On the bright side, he has a decent singing voice, and can write some good musical numbers , so I think he will bring a lot more than Family Guy characters.
Old 10-02-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah... odds are he'll be singing at some point. Cartoon characters and broadway/lounge style things are his two big passions it appears.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mfoTmiWsfD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-02-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This goal of getting a younger audience by choice of host is useless. The films they love will not be getting Oscar nominations, there go they're not going to watch. Meanwhile, those who will watch - everyone who's not considered a "younger audience" - will be forced to shake their heads at the nonsense on stage and wonder again why they even watch. Cut the crappy fill material and make the show shorter would be a good step toward a better Oscar show. I hate the time limits on winners but there is plenty of time for the presenters to tell corny jokes and look uncomfortable doing it. Heck, even do two Oscar shows, one that airs earlier and/or on another channel with the "lesser" awards (and, I'd watch that show) that they think no one cares about, let them say their speeches and let it be a classy affair. Then do the remaining (and now less) "main" awards with whoever they like hosting it for the kiddies. It would be less painful to sit through and be shorter.

With that, Seth can be a funny guy so maybe it won't be the disaster it has been in the past.
Old 10-02-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I see McFarlane's material undergoing a LOT of vetting before the broadcast , as he can be quite brutal on his shows towards celebrities. On the bright side, he has a decent singing voice, and can write some good musical numbers , so I think he will bring a lot more than Family Guy characters.
Yeah, that would pose a problem to the Academy. Remember all the heat Chris Rock got for the Jude Law bit, even though he toned down his act considerably for the Oscarcast and made his participation pretty generic? Of course, that's the part I'd most want to see--someone trashing the Hollywood elite on their own turf.

Actually, Bob Hope used to do that when he hosted the Oscars, but he was an insider so they all laughed with him. They didn't take themselves so damned seriously back then. I remember hearing an old radio broadcast of the 1946 awards and they brought out D.W. Griffith, the father of American cinema, as a presenter! And Hope proceeded to make fun of him! It was completely insane.
Old 10-02-12, 10:38 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Meh. I don't hate the guy, but he always seems so.... "look at me I'm on TV!" when I see him do anything live.
Old 10-02-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

They need someone who can do stand-up.

Even though Jon Stewart is TV - just as much as Seth McFarlane is too TV - Jon is a natural with the stand-up stage.

You know who would be excellent?

MIKE MYERS!!!

He was genius at the AFI tribute to Sean Connery - a real crowd pleaser with all the A-list stars.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KQYp8xJ4kpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-02-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Well, I'll still watch it.
Old 10-02-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I liked Family Guy after its demise on TV, when the DVDs were hot, but now I think it sucks. His other shows suck even more.
Family Guy is the show people associate him with the most but, IMO, American Dad is actually his best show. It isn't as preachy and doesn't resort to low brow humor on the same level of Family Guy and it's consistently funny.

The Cleveland Show sucks though. Maybe its gotten better but I stopped watching after the first few episodes.
Old 10-02-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
This goal of getting a younger audience by choice of host is useless. The films they love will not be getting Oscar nominations, there go they're not going to watch. Meanwhile, those who will watch - everyone who's not considered a "younger audience" - will be forced to shake their heads at the nonsense on stage and wonder again why they even watch. Cut the crappy fill material and make the show shorter would be a good step toward a better Oscar show. I hate the time limits on winners but there is plenty of time for the presenters to tell corny jokes and look uncomfortable doing it. Heck, even do two Oscar shows, one that airs earlier and/or on another channel with the "lesser" awards (and, I'd watch that show) that they think no one cares about, let them say their speeches and let it be a classy affair. Then do the remaining (and now less) "main" awards with whoever they like hosting it for the kiddies. It would be less painful to sit through and be shorter.
Good suggestions. From this page to the Academy producers' eyes.
Old 10-02-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sometimes strangely compelled to watch Family Guy for a minute or two, as it's one of the few shows whose sense of humor is not only completely unfunny, but actually makes me angry.

Seth MacFarlane,

Spoiler:
Old 10-02-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I wonder if McFarlane's dad was an inspiration for Peter Griffin?
Old 10-03-12, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I want Ron Jeremy to host next year.
Old 10-03-12, 01:08 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I'd rather have Todd McFarlane host.
Old 10-03-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Family Guy is the show people associate him with the most but, IMO, American Dad is actually his best show. It isn't as preachy and doesn't resort to low brow humor on the same level of Family Guy and it's consistently funny.

The Cleveland Show sucks though. Maybe its gotten better but I stopped watching after the first few episodes.
I was just going to post something similar. There's a lot of Family Guy hate and it's justifiable, as it has steadily declined in quality. American Dad, however, is the opposite. It had a dreadful start, but has gotten much, much better. It's easily MacFarlane's best right now. (IMO, Bob's Burgers is Fox's best animated show, though.)

As for the MacFarlane choice, I'm cool with it and it makes me feel a little better about the earlier reports of the producers wanting to make the ceremony more song and dancey. But only a little.
Old 10-03-12, 02:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With McFarlane hosting, we're almost certain to get a sketch with Patrick Stewart.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.