Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Collection -- sequel to The Collector (2012, D: Dunstan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

When Elena’s friends take her to a secret party at an undisclosed location, she never imagined she would become the latest victim of The Collector, a psychopathic killer. The Collector kidnaps and transports her to an abandoned hotel he’s transformed into his own private maze of torture and death. Upon learning of his daughter’s disappearance, Elena’s wealthy father hires a group of mercenaries to retrieve her from the vicious grips of The Collector. These mercenaries coerce Arkin, the only man to have escaped the wrath of this heinous monster, to lead them through the gruesome labyrinth. Now, Arkin finds himself fighting for his own life in order to save Elena.
<iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.html#startScreenCarouselUI=hide&vid=30640826&repeat=0&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fmovie%2Fcollection%2Ftrailers%2Fthe-collection-theatrical-trailer-30640826.html&browseCarouselUI=hide"></iframe>

Release: November 30th 2012
Old 09-19-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
re: The Collection -- sequel to The Collector (2012, D: Dunstan)

Looks decent. I am a big fan of the first one.
Old 09-19-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Looks decent. I am a big fan of the first one.
Yeah, after all of the negative comments about the first, I was expecting the worst. Instead, it kicked ass! I haven't watched the new trailer, yet, but all of the behind the scenes footage I've seen has looked great. Awesome sets.
Old 09-19-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The first one was mediocre, but did have that what's-her-face chick from some television show running around topless. Great rack, too.

This one is gaining a lot of traction. Lots of folks are saying it's pretty awesome.
Old 09-19-12, 09:40 PM

I love the first and have been looking forward to this one. Big thumbs up to the casting of Christopher McDonald, and I certainly couldn't blame The Collector for wanting Emma Fitzpatrick, who left quite an impression on me in her all too brief The Social Network role.
Old 09-19-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I enjoyed the first film. Trailer looks interesting.
Old 09-20-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't say I was a fan of the first film - the traps were ridiculous, the entire film was built around shock & gore - but I'm mildly curious to see where this one goes.
Old 09-27-12, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Poster

Old 09-27-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the simplicity and callback to the first one, but the backwards "C" is a lame touch.
Old 09-27-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I like the simplicity and callback to the first one, but the backwards "C" is a lame touch.
Didn't notice that but yeah it's cheesy.
Old 10-27-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Currently 100% fresh on rotten tomatoes with 5 reviews and fangoria just gave it another favorable review
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/771312085/
In 2009’s THE COLLECTOR, directed by Marcus Dunstan from a screenplay he wrote with Patrick Melton, we were introduced to Arkin (Josh Stewart), a comparatively innocent thief attempting to burglarize a house. Unfortunately, that home is simultaneously invaded by the Collector, a masked man who likes to wipe out a whole group of people in a short span of time via inventive contraptions. However, he always spares one to “collect,” torture at leisure and ultimately display for his own viewing pleasure.

In their sequel THE COLLECTION (opening November 30 from LD Entertainment), Dunstan and Melton concoct an amazing splatterfest of an opening sequence in which the Collector (played this time around by Randall Archer) wipes out a whole nightclub. The filmmakers then kick out the jams on their premise by taking us to the site where the title element is stored. In THE COLLECTOR, the action was confined to the single house; here, we find that the Collector keeps his many, many finds in an entire closed-to-the-public hotel, the Argento.

Arkin, once again played by Stewart, is also back, managing to escape the Collector’s clutches during the nightclub slaughter. When he awakens in the hospital, he’d like to recover in peace and skip town with his loving wife Lisa (Navi Rawat). However, the Collector leaves a note threatening Lisa, motivating Arkin to cooperate when he’s asked to help find Elena (Emma Fitzpatrick), the surviving trophy the Collector acquired at the nightclub. Her wealthy father (Christopher McDonald) has assembled a team headed up by Lucello (Lee Tergesen) to rescue her, and Arkin thinks all he’ll have to do is point the way, but…

THE COLLECTION does something different within its particular subgenre, going not just for torture but also for tableaux. A lot of what we see in the hotel’s labyrinthine layers is reminiscent of scenes in Clive Barker’s BOOKS OF BLOOD and the works of H.R. Giger. Dunstan goes for not just jump-scares—though those are supplied—but for a kind of time-stopping awe of visual wrongness, with bodies reassembled out of order and abstract sculptures of bone. There is an internal logic at work here, so that we have some comprehension of what the Collector’s aesthetic is and why he takes people.

On the other hand, the pace moves along pretty swiftly. The filmmakers give their grotesque sights enough space to make an impression, but the action slashes along insistently. This is not a work of creeping dread (as compared to, say, the current SINISTER), but rather an ultra-bloody, smart thrill ride that’s in tune with its target audience. The sad-eyed Stewart, the resolute Tergesen and the very capable and physical Fitzpatrick all make us empathize with their characters and root for them, singly and collectively, to kick the Collector’s acquisitive ass. Stewart is an especially smart choice for a protagonist here; he’s neither the kind of flawed antihero found matching wits against Jigsaw in the SAW franchise nor the imperiled decent guy of many other movies. Instead, Arkin starts on a note of morally ambiguous desperation that makes us believe he can think outside the box (pardon the COLLECTION pun) while doing battle. Fitzpatrick is a strong heroine in the young Jamie Lee Curtis mold, and Tergesen has a special-ops credibility from the moment we meet him.

THE COLLECTION’s ending leaves the door barn-wide open for at least one more sequel. Given the variety and energy in this installment, another COLLECTOR piece will be welcome.
http://fangoria.com/index.php/review...n-movie-review
Old 12-05-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

This movie delivered on all counts. Pure awesomeness. Bring on The Collected. I felt so bad because I kept gasping out loud and I hate making noise at the movies Like four or five times. Couldn't help myself. Can't remember last time a movie made me gasp out loud once, let alone five times.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 12-05-12 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this the other night. Was a fun time!
Old 12-05-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I saw this today and really liked it. I'm actually on the fence to see it again before it leaves theaters.
Old 12-06-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of want to see the first one now after seeing this. Didn't even know it was a sequel going in.
Old 12-06-12, 03:35 PM

I saw this on opening day and thought it was really good. Had a great time at the theater with this one.
Old 12-06-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly surprised to see all the good reviews - I'll have to go check it out.
Old 12-06-12, 04:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ Same here. Expected this to be pretty dismal.
Old 12-06-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

It's at 41% now
Old 12-06-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the first film was absolute shit, is this any better? The reviews are far more positive, but my wife's interested based upon the trailer... and she didn't see the original nor knew this was a sequel based upon the trailer.
Old 12-07-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
This movie delivered on all counts. Pure awesomeness. Bring on The Collected. I felt so bad because I kept gasping out loud and I hate making noise at the movies Like four or five times. Couldn't help myself. Can't remember last I made myself gasp out loud once, let alone five times.
Wow you are on a tear is there anything you have not seen recently?

And fixed your quote...
Old 12-07-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

For those who've seen this:

Spoiler:
What substance do you think was in those containers at the end of the movie that could both preserve a body and put out a fire?
Old 12-08-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Wow you are on a tear is there anything you have not seen recently?

And fixed your quote...
Take a swing by the MoviePass thread in the Hot Deals forum, and let me know if you want an invite, but only after reading through moviepass.com
Old 12-09-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Saw this tonight and thought it was just ok like the first one. Requires a huge suspension of disbelief of how this guy pulls all of this off and avoids getting hurt by his own traps. I especially had a hard time believing the whole club scene and his mechanisms of murder. Who the fuck set all of that up? I also thought that the "rescue squad" was clearly lacking in the weapons department and their approach to the "hotel".
Old 12-09-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I also thought that the "rescue squad" was clearly lacking in the weapons department and their approach to the "hotel".
This relates to one of my main issues with the movie. Why again did they not just hire / alert the police when they arrived at the hotel? I remember the leader saying something about "I'll do what the police won't", but I don't think they did anything extraordinary. With a group of 10-15 cops to catch this crazed killer, the task would have been a lot simpler.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.