Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you've changed your opinion on

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you've changed your opinion on

Old 09-19-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Movies you've changed your opinion on

A Few Good Men -- I used to think it was awesome. Now I realize it wouldn't make it past the first round of screenings for L&O spec scripts and it's full of Sorkin and Reiner's leftist pablum and contempt for the military.

Wrath of Khan -- Flame away, but First Contact was better. WoK is memorable for two reasons: the Run Silent, Run Deep-inspired battle at the end, and Spock's sacrifice. After that it's just a scenery-chewing contest between Montalban and Shatner and is built on a monstrous plot hole, perhaps the worst ever in Trek.

Lost in Translation -- Don't get me wrong, Murray was awesome. But I now realize how much we have overrated Scarlett from that movie. If she looked like Heather Mattarazzo she'd have no career. Fact is, the only thing stiffer than her acting is me watching her.
Old 09-19-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll probably catch hell for this one too, but I'll nominate Memento. I couldn't get enough of it 10 or 11 years ago, and it continued to rank pretty high on my list for several years. But I watched it again recently and it really didn't do anything for me. Maybe it's a lack of long-term replay value due to the gimmick...but I'm also starting to feel a general ambivalence towards The Prestige and even the Batman movies, so maybe I'm just becoming allergic to Christopher Nolan.

Oddly enough, I wasn't really blown away by his Insomnia remake (which a lot of folks put near the bottom of his filmography) the first time I saw it, but tried it again recently and I loved it.
Old 09-19-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Nolan flicks are all plot with minimal character, they're more cinematic puzzles than movies. I can see how rewatching them can cause issues, but I have a blast with them just the same, I also don't rewatch them much because what you see really is what you get. But this is a minor complaint, his movies get overrated pretty easily but at least they stand out and accomplish what they set out to do - you know you're watching a Nolan flick when you're watching it. I'd love to see him approach one of his puzzle flicks with the heart and soul of something like Mulholland Drive, but that'll never fly in high budget mainstream cinema. It's also why Batman Begins is my favorite of that trilogy.

The transporting man definitely seemed a bit out of left field initially too, but I give them props for the light bulbs in the snow scene for at least giving it some build up prior to the hats and cats. (even if it is in the pretentious opening of the movie)

Last edited by RichC2; 09-19-12 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-19-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Titanic (1997) - Thought it was good in theaters when saw in January 1998. After rewatching the blu-ray last weekend, I consider it a masterpiece.

Dirty Work (1998) - Always loved this movie as a teenager, but rewatched last year and wasn't impressed.
Old 09-19-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you changed your mind about Dirty Work? I think you should reconsider.

Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Rings (saw it opening night, thought it was decent. Wasn't until I saw the Two Towers on DVD that I revisted it and since it's become my favorite of the three). I skipped Two Towers in the theaters unfortunately.

Miami Vice (thought it was ok, but it's grown on me in a big way. It's become an absolute favorite.) Not the same with Public Enemies.

Black Hawk Down (never got into it until several viewings on DVD. Guess I needed to get the characters pin-pointed before I could follow the action)

Interview with the Vampire (maybe because I saw it as a kid, but i've always liked it, now I think it's marvelous.
Old 09-19-12, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

House of 1000 Corpses - didn't like it very when I saw it in a near-empty theater. I've grown to like it more with each viewing.
Old 09-19-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Graduate -- went from meh to masterpiece
Old 09-19-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FORREST GUMP - Saw in the theater and loved it. Saw it later on HBO and hated it

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS - Didn't care for it much the first time. After several more viewings, I think it's Burton's best.
Old 09-20-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Oddly enough, I wasn't really blown away by his Insomnia remake (which a lot of folks put near the bottom of his filmography) the first time I saw it, but tried it again recently and I loved it.
It is also the only film he directed that someone else wrote the screenplay.
Old 09-20-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
..........But I now realize how much we have overrated Scarlett from that movie. If she looked like Heather Mattarazzo she'd have no career. Fact is, the only thing stiffer than her acting is me watching her.

She stole Thora Birch's career.
Old 09-20-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Blue Velvet
Old 09-20-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The Jerk - Hilarious when I was 14-15 years old. Lame when I saw it again in my 40's.
Old 09-20-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lost in Translation -- Don't get me wrong, Murray was awesome. But I now realize how much we have overrated Scarlett from that movie. If she looked like Heather Mattarazzo she'd have no career. Fact is, the only thing stiffer than her acting is me watching her.
Exactly what Roger Ebert said.
Old 09-20-12, 10:56 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Dark City. Absolutely hated it the first time, thought it was brilliant the second.
Old 09-20-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Halloween III - When I was younger, I had the same line of thought as everyone else who still hates it, which is that it sucked because Michael Myers wasn't the star. I got older, wiser, and went back to revisit one of the most reviled films of my youth.

And I loved it. I get that there are still plenty of detractors, but almost anyone who's a fan of that era in Carpenter's career has to appreciate it.
Old 09-20-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Halloween III - When I was younger, I had the same line of thought as everyone else who still hates it, which is that it sucked because Michael Myers wasn't the star. I got older, wiser, and went back to revisit one of the most reviled films of my youth.

And I loved it. I get that there are still plenty of detractors, but almost anyone who's a fan of that era in Carpenter's career has to appreciate it.
I haven't seen Halloween 3 since I was a young un and remember thinking "Hey, no Michael Myers! Boo! Hiss!" Might have some revisiting to do. I always liked that jingle though.
Old 09-20-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Join the Oct. Horror Challenge and give it a spin, Jules.

It's been said that watching a Tom Atkins film can cause you to become 40% more manly.
Old 09-20-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been said that watching a Tom Atkins film can cause you to become 40% more manly.
If its a challenge where I have to watch a movie a day or see who watches the most horror movies, I would be in last place. Kids fuck up your movie watching habits. I hope to see a handful of new horror during October though. And I know about the Tom Atkins thing. After watching Halloween 3, my balls dropped. After Night of the Creeps, I grew a mustache. After My Bloody Valentine 3-D, my pubes grew a mustache.
Old 09-20-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 09-20-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh, forgot... Ghost in the Shell. I thought it was a lot of meaningless babble at first, especially from Project 2501. Now I realize its genius and what Oshii did with Masamune's otherwise silly manga.
Old 09-20-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Good thread.

Jaws - saw it back when I was 8 during its 1979 re-release. Scared the shit out of me to the point where I would run screaming out of the room if the music were playing.

Then in 1984, I forced myself to watch it again, being more mature and all, and then I saw the light. Today it's my third favorite movie of all time behind Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.
Old 09-20-12, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, forgot... Ghost in the Shell. I thought it was a lot of meaningless babble at first, especially from Project 2501. Now I realize its genius and what Oshii did with Masamune's otherwise silly manga.

heh
Old 09-20-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - When I first saw it at like 11 or 12 I was expecting some gore-soaked splatter film, and was disappointed that it wasn't. Didn't watch it again for years but now I really appreciate it.
This is a good one. As a big horror buff I had to check this one out, of course I was used to the slashers from the 80s and the title just splatters a mental image that the film never lives up to. I thought it was cheesy and amateurish, I hated the dinner scene that was over-the-top and seemed to drag on forever; all the screaming really annoyed me, but now I think it's gritty, claustrophobic, and simply one of the best horror movies ever made.

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
I haven't seen Halloween 3 since I was a young un and remember thinking "Hey, no Michael Myers! Boo! Hiss!" Might have some revisiting to do. I always liked that jingle though.
Same here, I may have to revisit soon.

This sounds interesting, is there already a threat for this year's challenge?

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 09-20-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-20-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Good thread.

Jaws - saw it back when I was 8 during its 1979 re-release. Scared the shit out of me to the point where I would run screaming out of the room if the music were playing.

Then in 1984, I forced myself to watch it again, being more mature and all, and then I saw the light. Today it's my third favorite movie of all time behind Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.
How did your opinion change? Sounds like the movie had plenty of punch when you saw it as a kid. I would take the fact that it "scared the shit out of" you as a major positive.
Old 09-20-12, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Boogie Nights, saw it opening night and was less than impressed. I thought it was sloppy, poorly put togther, clearly just a bunch of random shit thrown at the screen. Got sucked into watching it again when it came out on video and thought it was a masterpiece. All the surrogate family relationships between the character's was clear, the progression of the story was engrossing, I loved it. Wahlberg's performance was first rate. I'm very impressed when someone can play a character that stupid, not for comedic purposes, but winning my sympathy.

I've come around on Day of the Dead, which I initially thought was boring. It is still my least favorite of the Romero trilogy, but large chunks of the movie are superb.
I hate Day of the Dead. Pretty much in upper 90% levels of hate for it. The effects and the intro dream bit are badass though. It bores the fuck out of me.

on topic:

Alien 3. Hated it when I'd watch during my Alien Marathon type of thing I'd do when I was bored. Now...maybe it was the Quadrilogy transfer or something but...recently watching it off of the BD Anthology set...I fucking loved it for the most part. Still flawed...but goddamn...is it beautiful. Hate all the aspects that we hate but goddamn is this really a Fincher film or what? Soooo pretty on the BD.

Alien Resurrection...eh. I liked it for the most part growing up. Wasn't as strong as Aliens or Alien w/ me. I liked it though. Now watching it on BD...It gives me headaches. BUT BUT BUT But...Ron Perlman can do no wrong. I always enjoy me some Perlman nonsense.

The Seventh Seal. I watched it in a film class I had in a community college I went to...bore me to hell. Didn't have the patience to let it sink in, whatever that had to sink in. Saw it on BD when I just bought it for the hell of it. Goddamn it....it's amazing. Also...very odd for me to see a MVS performance in his youth. I'm so used to seeing him old. I love old MVS.

About MVS....when I first saw The Exorcist I thought he was an old man already. I was like 9 or 10 when I saw it. Never EVER saw him in another movie again....till Minority Report came out. I was in the theater w/ my large coke and popcorn...and BAM..MVS pops up. I literally spit out my coke in the empty theater, an early showing. I thought he was dead. He looked old in The Exorcist..turns out..that was some damn fine makeup...and some damn fine assumption in the makeup as to what he'd look like as a much older man. Probably my favorite surprise to see in a theater. That..and....Harry Fucking Dean Stanton in The Avengers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.