Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Parker (2013, Taylor Hackford) - Jason Statham, Michael Chiklis, Nick Nolte

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Parker (2013, Taylor Hackford) - Jason Statham, Michael Chiklis, Nick Nolte

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Parker (2013, Taylor Hackford) - Jason Statham, Michael Chiklis, Nick Nolte

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Thanks for the correction.

(Question to self: Have I ever read "Flashfire"? It doesn't sound familiar.)
Part of the series revival that started with Comeback in 1997. The series went Comeback, Backflash, Flashfire, Firebreak and Breakout, but somehow he forgot to write Outcome to close it off before starting off on a different naming scheme.
Old 12-18-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
New trailer
Thanks for the new trailer and the thread bump. Still iffy on whether the movie is theater viewing-worthy, but it got me wanting to continue with the Parker series. It just so happened that last night I finished what I was currently reading, so I then started The Outfit.
Old 12-18-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw that trailer before Red Dawn (2012) start and so look good to me and interested to see it.
Old 01-17-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm looking forward to this more than "The Last Stand". Jason Statham flicks are hit and miss with me, but since his last one "Safe" was pretty good I have hopes that this one is as well. Trailer gives me a similar vibe.

There's the added bonus that this movie is based on the same novels that Mel Gibson's "Payback" is. Love that movie.
Old 01-18-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'll rent this. It looks like Payback-lite.
Old 01-18-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason Statham seemingly plays a variation of the same guy in every film. He has little to no range as an actor.
Old 01-18-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Jason Statham seemingly plays a variation of the same guy in every film. He has little to no range as an actor.
You're just now figuring this out?
Old 01-18-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't need range when you are AWESOME. I enjoy most of his movies a heck of a lot of other so called great actors. He has a great screen presence and charisma, he knows his limitations, and obviously picks roles that he finds fun to play. Not eveyone wants to play a tortured artist whining over a lost love or some other award baiting type role.

He may not be able to play the role of George Falconer or King George IV, but then again Colin Firth in no way could have played Chris Celios.
Old 01-18-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Don't need range when you are AWESOME. I enjoy most of his movies a heck of a lot of other so called great actors. He has a great screen presence and charisma, he knows his limitations, and obviously picks roles that he finds fun to play. Not eveyone wants to play a tortured artist whining over a lost love or some other award baiting type role.

He may not be able to play the role of George Falconer or King George IV, but then again Colin Firth in no way could have played Chris Celios.
Careful...if Liam Neeson could become an action star late in his career, Colin Firth might think he can do it, too.
Old 01-18-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Careful...if Liam Neeson could become an action star late in his career, Colin Firth might think he can do it, too.
Well Liam Neeson was always awesome too. He kicked ass in Next of Kin and Darkman and Rob Roy more than 20 years ago. He has always been a tough guy in real life as well.

That being said, I would love to see Mr. Darcy as an action hero.
Old 01-18-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Statham's films must sell really well on video. Because his theatrical success, where he's the main star, isn't impressive at all. They all seem to follow the same pattern of opening between 7-10 million and then fizzling out around 20-30 million. Yet he keeps getting lead roles.
Old 01-18-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Unclejosh

I don't think any decent actor would have wanted to play Chris Celios.

And if you only have 1 facial expression, you do not have charisma.
Old 01-18-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I don't think any decent actor would have wanted to play Chris Celios.

And if you only have 1 facial expression, you do not have charisma.
I totally disagree. Expressions or ability to act or emote have nothing to do with charisma. Megan Fox has ridiculous charisma in print and on screen yet she cannot act nor does she seem to have talent. Arnold is one of the most charismatic people in show business of all time, but he cannot act at least any better than Statham . Heck his best role is of an emotionless robot. He gets by on charisma and charm much like Statham.

And for what is worth (nothing), I would rather watch Crank 1 and 2 again over The King's Speech or A Single Man but I would never consider them better films or vote for them for any awards.

YMMV of course.
Old 01-18-13, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still dont understand how I love Crank 2. It's filled with everything that could make me not want to see it but...something about it makes me love it. I didn't really like Crank 1. Thought that one was meh. Still waiting for Crank 3. Somehow they can make a story for it.
Old 01-24-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I guess this isn't the most unexpected thing...30% so far
Old 01-24-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I still dont understand how I love Crank 2. It's filled with everything that could make me not want to see it but...something about it makes me love it. I didn't really like Crank 1. Thought that one was meh. Still waiting for Crank 3. Somehow they can make a story for it.
Probably cuz it's self-aware.
Old 01-25-13, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing Parker.

I like Jason Statham a lot, and with Michael Chiklis in there too I'd already be interested, but the trailer also makes the movie look very entertaining. And J-Lo is always nice to look at (and she wasn't bad in Out Of Sight). I'm in.
Old 01-25-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Just got back from seeing this. It starts out well, but it starts getting silly when J-Lo enters the picture about half-way through and it starts getting ridiculous when Statham, having already suffered the kind of punishment that would kill him or put him out of action for a very long time, undergoes a second round of the same kind of punishment yet, as he did after the first time, bounces back to do superhuman feats in short order. I lose interest when it just gets too implausible.

I couldn't tell whether it was Lopez's character that annoyed me or her performance. Either way, she never inhabits the character. She just "acts." You see the wheels turning in every shot of her. She's never learned to just become the character.

Also, I didn't like the ending.

I'm a big fan of the Parker novels, but I never caught up with the later ones. Now I realize I have to, since I haven't read the one this is based on, "Flashfire."

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-26-13 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-26-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Statham's films must sell really well on video. Because his theatrical success, where he's the main star, isn't impressive at all. They all seem to follow the same pattern of opening between 7-10 million and then fizzling out around 20-30 million. Yet he keeps getting lead roles.

Intl box office

That's why Van Damme was still getting well paid for thaterical releases for a few years even when his star had diminished and his movies were tanking at the us box office.
Old 01-28-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Saw it yesterday and was entertained. It was one of those movies where all the action was in the trailer. But still, The Transporter vs Vic Mackey was enough for me.
Old 01-28-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The tone just seems so wrong with Statham in the lead. After Payback and Get the Gringo, Mel Gibson IS Parker.

Then again, I've never read any of the novels, so don't know how he was initially.
Old 01-29-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it yesterday.

The good news (???) is that Slayground is still the worst movie to be adapted from a Stark novel. That's not saying much.

The bad news is that Parker is a stupid godawful movie anyway.

The first credit that appears when the end titles begin is "In Memory of Donald E Westlake". What a crappy way to celebrate his memory.

Coincidentally, I saw Get the Gringo for the first time this past weekend and thought it made a good, unofficial sequel to Payback.
Old 01-29-13, 05:30 PM
Banned

Saw this over the weekend. Is Nick Nolte dying from throat cancer? Jesus. It was okay. The flashbacks were a bit distracting and the movie really shits the bed when J Lo is on screen. 2.5/5.
Old 01-30-13, 08:04 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ScorseseLovesU
Is Nick Nolte dying from throat cancer?
Yeah, what's going on with him? I first noticed his voice in Warrior and thought he was doing a Burgess Meredith tribute. But then I saw several other movies (he's working a lot lately), and the same deal. It kind of suits him for the roles he has been getting recently though.
Old 01-30-13, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IIG
Yeah, what's going on with him? I first noticed his voice in Warrior and thought he was doing a Burgess Meredith tribute. But then I saw several other movies (he's working a lot lately), and the same deal. It kind of suits him for the roles he has been getting recently though.
A lifetime of hard living, I guess. I know he's around 70 now, but years of smoking and drinking have taken their toll.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.