Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Prestige question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Prestige question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Prestige question

I never saw The Illusionist but those that had seen it told me it was more of a love story. I dunno how accurate that is, though.
Old 08-29-12, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

It was more of a love story than Prestige for sure. Good movie but Prestige was on another level.
Old 08-29-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember lending my DVD (and then Blu-Ray) to many friends who had never even heard of the movie before. They were all blown away by it. It truly is a great movie.
Old 08-29-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I think The Illusionist had more visual flair than The Prestige but the latter beats the shit out it. I haven't seen the former in a while, it wasn't bad but I think it lacked a bit in the story for me if I remember correctly.
I know a lot of people really enjoyed The Illusionist, but even when it comes to visual flair, I felt like Prestige was better. The Illusionist felt really cheap to me because it relied so much on cgi and that was just boring to me. I loved that The Prestige had tricks that were based on practical tricks. I've seen both movies for the first time within the last month, and I was completely transfixed by Prestige, and pretty bored by The Illusionist (though Giamatti was great in the flick).
Old 08-29-12, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was talking about the cgi etc as the flair. The Prestige had it all practical and didn't use it as a gimmick though it was very much a large subject for the story...it didn't push itself out like The Illusionist..granted..that film had another story to tell...
Old 08-29-12, 04:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The moment sci-fi entered this story this movie sank.

Clones. Seriously? Clones?

The first 2/3rds of this film are great. The parts without any tired, ridiculous mentions of science-fiction clones.

yeah.
Old 08-29-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is one of my 3 favorite movies of all time. Just seeing this thread makes me want to re watch it. Ill post back when its fresh again.
Old 08-29-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
The moment sci-fi entered this story this movie sank.

Clones. Seriously? Clones?

The first 2/3rds of this film are great. The parts without any tired, ridiculous mentions of science-fiction clones.

yeah.
Interesting that somebody with the name "WeylandYutani" is complaining about sci-fi aspects within a movie.
Old 08-29-12, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Interesting that somebody with the name "WeylandYutani" is complaining about sci-fi aspects within a movie.

I don't see why, in this case. I think even this film's most ardent fans would attest that THE PRESTIGE's first half is far more interesting than it's latter.
Old 08-29-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
I don't see why, in this case. I think even this film's most ardent fans would attest that THE PRESTIGE's first half is far more interesting than it's latter.
No. It was fascinating from start to finish.

And it makes sense. Angier was a great showman. He was all about spectacle. So his trick was so complex it was real.

Borden was a great magician. He created a simple illusion that baffled people and made them wonder how he was achieving such a "complex illusion".

The means employed by each man to achieve the Transported Man fit their personas to a T.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-29-12 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-29-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I mentioned some people not liking the end earlier, and its easy to see why. The first 2/3rds of the movie play realistically like it could have really happened, and all of a sudden switches to the ability to make clones. I can see how that could take someone out of the movie.
Old 08-29-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I mentioned some people not liking the end earlier, and its easy to see why. The first 2/3rds of the movie play realistically like it could have really happened, and all of a sudden switches to the ability to make clones. I can see how that could take someone out of the movie.

I can understand that, but I liked the direction the movie took because all of a sudden it was like "oh shit, magic is REAL"
Old 08-29-12, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JTH182
I can understand that, but I liked the direction the movie took because all of a sudden it was like "oh shit, magic is REAL"
THIS. Everything plays out so practical that even the viewer wonders how it's done..than much like the characters as well...the shit does exist..but..not in the way it was believed to be. It's easily my favorite Nolan just cuz of the fucked up morality of the obsession and their own ethics involved. Love it.
Old 08-30-12, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

No, the clone aspect didn't ruin it at all, and I don't consider the first half to be better than the second since it was great from start to finish. In fact the SF aspect has gotten me more interested in Tesla and reading about scientific breakthroughs during that time.

The whole time we don't know what Borden's method is and when his wife says, "I know what you are!" that just ramps up the intrigue.

I like how Nolan is the magician for this film experience making us think one thing, like when Alfred says "abracadabra" before he hangs then appears before Angier to shoot him. But we later find out that's not what happened at all. It's really a beautiful film and is enjoyable on different levels.
Old 11-01-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Just watched this last night for Halloween. This is one of the few movies that gets better with each viewing, and amazes me with how much is visible that one wouldn't know to notice. The movie's opening line of "are you watching closely" is very applicable. Some things that stand out moreso with later viewings, which might have been mentioned before:

Spoiler:

-Borden not remembering what knot he tied.
-ScarJo commenting that she can't find anything about the trick in the dressing room, just glasses and wigs (these, of course, are what makes Borden into Fallon.
-When Borden is about to go to his hanging and tosses the ball to Fallon. Just noticed the significance of this last night.
-The parallel of the birds with Angiers and his duplicates.

I also think it's interesting how there are three acts to a magic trick and how it is applied to the three act structure of the movie itself.

One question I still have:
Spoiler:
At what times are we seeing the "jerk" Borden who is obsessed with magic and doesn't love his wife ,and when are we seeing the one that is mostly a nice guy? Some are obvious, but other times not as much. It is obvious that the one that dies is the less sympathetic of the two, and it is kind of a fitting end for him, as he is pulling off the ultimate magic trick in the process.
Old 11-01-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Exactly right on your second spoiler. In the end they both get exactly what they want. One pulls off the ultimate "magic trick" and the other gets to live life with his daughter.

There was a link posted somewhere in this thread that had a rundown on who was who in what scenes and while I don't think it's perfect it makes a lot of sense in most cases.
Old 11-01-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Spoiler:
At what times are we seeing the "jerk" Borden who is obsessed with magic and doesn't love his wife ,and when are we seeing the one that is mostly a nice guy? Some are obvious, but other times not as much. It is obvious that the one that dies is the less sympathetic of the two, and it is kind of a fitting end for him, as he is pulling off the ultimate magic trick in the process.
This was linked to before.=:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Here's an interesting table someone made that shows which twin is Borden and which is Fallon at different points in the film:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7752527/pres...hoisborden.htm
Note that the article is just best guesses, with reasoning provided. I don't think anyone knows for certain which is which in each scene except for the Nolans and Bale.
Old 11-01-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
Exactly right on your second spoiler. In the end they both get exactly what they want. One pulls off the ultimate "magic trick" and the other gets to live life with his daughter.

There was a link posted somewhere in this thread that had a rundown on who was who in what scenes and while I don't think it's perfect it makes a lot of sense in most cases.
What's more fitting is that the daughter has now become heir to Lord Cadlow's fortune, which lends itself to the theory of just when Borden decided to make this the ultimate trick.
Old 11-01-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched this last night for Halloween. This is one of the few movies that gets better with each viewing, and amazes me with how much is visible that one wouldn't know to notice. The movie's opening line of "are you watching closely" is very applicable. Some things that stand out moreso with later viewings, which might have been mentioned before:

Spoiler:

-Borden not remembering what knot he tied.
-ScarJo commenting that she can't find anything about the trick in the dressing room, just glasses and wigs (these, of course, are what makes Borden into Fallon.
-When Borden is about to go to his hanging and tosses the ball to Fallon. Just noticed the significance of this last night.
-The parallel of the birds with Angiers and his duplicates.

I also think it's interesting how there are three acts to a magic trick and how it is applied to the three act structure of the movie itself.

Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, and this is VERY basic...

Spoiler:
the "nice" Borden is the one that loves his wife and daughter, while the "other" Borden is the one that bangs ScarJo. You can tell which is which by how they react to the wife. One obviously loves her, while the other just pretends to love her and the wife, although she doesn't know they are two different people, can easily tell when she's with the "other" one that doesn't love her.

Oops. Nevermind. I just reread your question and you were asking a more detailed question. Seems like you already knew what I said in my answer. Yeah, the table posted above does a pretty good job of explaining the differences in the other scenes.
Old 11-01-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good link. Essentially, hothead Borden is Frederick, and calm/likeable Borden is Albert.
Old 11-01-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good link. Essentially, hothead Borden is Frederick, and calm/likeable Borden is Albert.
Pretty much. After you see it a few times, I feel it's pretty easy to tell the two apart.
Old 11-01-12, 06:19 PM
Banned

Good movie, done in by an overly obvious and stupid ending.

7/10

__

Last edited by WeylandYutani; 11-01-12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-01-12, 07:59 PM
Banned

Obvious how exactly?
Old 11-01-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Obvious how exactly?
I'd be interested to know how too. Having read the book, I already knew the methods for the trick going in (although the movie changes one method in a slight but important way), so I can't honestly say whether the movie presented them in an obvious way or not.
Old 11-01-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you detail the books explanation in a spoiler? You have me curious what the difference is. Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.