Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (8/24-8/26): Anti-Obama Docu Legitimately Rapes the Competition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (8/24-8/26): Anti-Obama Docu Legitimately Rapes the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... however, no word on if the competition will become pregnant or if they've already shut down the rape.

Too soon? No. Never too soon.

Originally Posted by Deadline
FRIDAY 7:30 PM UPDATE: As predicted Millenium/Lionsgate’s The Expendables 2 will finish in first place Friday and this weekend. It’s followed by Universal’s The Bourne Legacy in second place and the Rocky Mountain Pictures’ documentary 2016 Obama’s Legacy in third place. That’s stunning because it’s playing in a 1/3 less theaters across North American than the other wide release actioners. (See below for more details). This is turning into the weakest weekend of Summer 2012 especially for new movies with the exception of the anti-Obama pic whose pre-sales make the conservative documentary frontloaded. Focus features holdover ParaNorman, Warner Bros’ The Campaign, and Sony newcomer Premium Rush all are bunched together Friday. Open Road’s Hit And Run (which opened Wednesday) took a hit, while Dark Castle/Warner Bros’ new release The Apparition didn’t stand a ghost of a chance as a parting present for producer Joel Silver. “It’s exhausting working with numbers this bad,” one studio exec griped tonight because no new pic may break $10M.

FRIDAY 2 PM: The anti-Obama movie 2016 Obama’s America went into wider release around America today and is opening right now in first place at the domestic box office. That’s quite a feat since the Rocky Mountain Pictures political documentary is still playing in only 1,090 North American theaters – or about 1/3 as many theaters as big-budget actioner The Expendables 2 (3,355 theaters). But these political documentaries like faith-based films are frontloaded. The Stallone picture from Millenium/Lionsgate is still expected to end the weekend #1 and should top the box office tonight. And, based on matinee trends, 2016 Obama’s America looks to gross $1.2M-$1.7M Friday for a $3.7M-$5.0M weekend. But right now it has grossed $700,000 today compared to $300,000 for The Expendables 2. Its new cume after this weekend could make it the #1 conservative documentary (ahead of Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed’s $7.7M). The success of the anti-Obama pic is based on big pre-sales leading into the Republican National Convention August 27-30, and exhibitors are reporting busloads of filmgoers arriving at theaters around the country in pre-organized trips. It also employed much of the same marketing techniques used to garner attention and support for faith-based films, understandable since the audience is overlapping. Its campaign included advertising nationally over the past two weeks on talk radio and cable news channels including Fox News Channel, A&E, History and MSNBC.

Both online ticket-sellers Fandango and MovieTickets.com showed advance buying for 2016 Obama’s America were accounting for 35% to 28% respectively before this weekend. The pic is based on conservative author and commentator Dinesh D’Souza’s New York Times bestselling 2010 book The Roots Of Obama’s Rage and co-directed by D’Souza and John Sullivan and produced by Academy Award winner Gerald R. Molen (co-producer of Schindler’s List). It opened on July 13th in a preview on a single screen in Texas grossing almost $32,000 during its opening weekend, then expanded into 61 theaters including New York and Los Angeles. In August, the film widened to 169 theaters nationwide and expanded again this weekend. “Yes, I also didn’t believe it when I first saw the film taking off in pre-sales on Tuesday,” an exhibition insider tells me. “Because there’s not a lot of new product that’s taking off.”

Hollywood distribution experts expect 2016 Obama’s America to fare similarly to that Kirk Cameron faith-based movie Fireproof. It was #1 in Fandango’s advance sales and did remarkably well during its opening Friday – but then ended up somewhere around #4 at the box office for the weekend.

Among other new movies, Friday and weekend estimates are as follows: Sony’s Premium Rush $2.0-$2.5M Friday and $5.5M-$7.0M weekend, Open Road’s Hit And Run (which opened Wednesday) $1.3M-$1.8M Friday and $3.6M-$5.0M weekend for a $4.6M-$6.0M cume, and Warner Bros’ The Apparition $400K-$700K Friday for a $1M-$1.7M weekend.

Hollywood distribution experts expect 2016 Obama’s America to fare similarly to that Kirk Cameron faith-based movie Fireproof. It was #1 in Fandango’s advance sales and did remarkably well during its opening Friday – but then ended up #4 at the box office.

Last weekend, 2016: Obama’s America grossed a strong $1.2M in 169 venues for a cumulative gross as of Thursday of $2.8M. It’s the #2 biggest indie documenatry of the year behind only The Weinstein Company’s Bully ($3.2 million) and already the #12 political documentary of all time. It will rise a lot higher in the rankings after this weekend.

2016 Obama’s America detractors decry it as a slick infomercial heavy with conspiracy theories. But D’Souza says he made the film to motivate moviegoers to question what an Obama second term would look like, and credits liberal documentary maker Michael Moore for the structure of the film: “When he released Fahrenheit 9/11 in 2004 ahead of the election, it sparked intense debate. I learned some lessons from Michael Moore, and hopefully he might learn some lessons from me about handling facts.”
Source

The Christians are coming out for their hated of black people Obama, what's new? To be honest, it wasn't until the other day that I found out 2016: Obama's America was an anti-Obama film. I was actually curious to check it out and it wasn't until I looked it up on Wikipedia that I discovered it was a right-wing piece of propaganda. Maybe they should've worked on a better title.

For everything else: yikes. What an awful weekend for both new films and grosses. However, if you haven't, ParaNorman is a fantastic film despite being released at the wrong time of the year.
Old 08-24-12, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (8/24-8/26): Anti-Obama Docu Legitimately Rapes the Competitio

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
... however, no word on if the competition will become pregnant or if they've already shut down the rape.

Too soon? No. Never too soon.

Source

The Christians are coming out for their hated of black people Obama, what's new? To be honest, it wasn't until the other day that I found out 2016: Obama's America was an anti-Obama film. I was actually curious to check it out and it wasn't until I looked it up on Wikipedia that I discovered it was a right-wing piece of propaganda. Maybe they should've worked on a better title.

For everything else: yikes. What an awful weekend for both new films and grosses. However, if you haven't, ParaNorman is a fantastic film despite being released at the wrong time of the year.
did the producers of coraline made paranorman ? it looks really good i wanna see it. I believe the expendables going to pick up this weekend.
Old 08-24-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Weekend Box Office (8/24-8/26): Anti-Obama Docu Legitimately Rapes the Competitio

Originally Posted by philly1981
did the producers of coraline made paranorman ? it looks really good i wanna see it. I believe the expendables going to pick up this weekend.
Yes and it's a lot better than Coraline. A great throwback to not only Grindhouse films, but it feels like a children's film that would've been produced in the eighties. It's daring, but has a lot of heart.
Old 08-24-12, 11:05 PM

Yes and it's a lot better than Coraline. A great throwback to not only Grindhouse films, but it feels like a children's film that would've been produced in the eighties. It's daring, but has a lot of heart.
great gotta check it out.
Old 08-25-12, 03:25 AM
Banned

Is this Obama movie the one they were talking about on HANNITY on Friday night?
Old 08-25-12, 04:10 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

was it legitimate rape?
Old 08-25-12, 04:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
was it legitimate rape?
Old 08-25-12, 05:26 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never even knew there was an Obama doc.
Old 08-25-12, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Is this Obama movie the one they were talking about on HANNITY on Friday night?
No, I believe that one is called "The Hope & the Change," about 40 Democrats who voted for Obama during the 2008 election and who now voice their misgivings.
Old 08-25-12, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's good to see the other side have their own "Fahrenheit 9/11". I fully expect this movie to win an Oscar and help Obama get re-elected.
Old 08-25-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The Christians are coming out for their hated of black people Obama, what's new?
You're right; the only possible reason for someone to not like Obama and his politics is because they're racist.
Old 08-25-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
You're right; the only possible reason for someone to not like Obama and his politics is because they're racist.
He's practically a moderate Republican: the individual mandate came from the right-wing Heritage Foundation and he didn't even give the financial institutions that cratered our economy a slap on the wrist.

So yeah, it kinda makes criticism of his radical "Marxist" policies a little suspect.
Old 08-25-12, 09:31 AM
Political Exile

Or Christian because there are no Black Christians
Old 08-25-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 08-25-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's what Deadline posted this morning regarding the estimated top ten:

Originally Posted by Deadline
1. The Expendables 2 (Millenium/Lionsgate) Week 2 [3,355 Runs] R
Friday $3.6M (-66%), Weekend $11.7M, Cume $50.2M

2. The Bourne Legacy (Universal) Week 3 [3,652 Runs] PG13
Friday $2.5M, Weekend $8.4M, Cume $84.6M

3. 2016 Obama’s America (Rocky Mountain) NEW [1,091 Runs] PG
Friday $2.4M, Weekend $6.0M, Cume $8.9M

4. ParaNorman (Focus Features) Week 2 [3,455 Runs] PG
Friday $2.3M (-50%), Weekend $7.5M, Cume $27.1M

5. The Campaign (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,302 Runs] R
Friday $2.1, Weekend $6.7M, Cume $62.9M

6. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/WB) Week 6 [2,606 Runs] PG13
Friday $2.0M, Weekend $6.8M, Cume $421.7M

7. The Odd Life Of Timothy Green (Disney) Week 2 [2,598 Runs] PG
Friday $2.0M, Weekend $6.5M, Cume $26.5M

8. Premium Rush (Sony) NEW [2,255 Runs] PG13
Friday $2.0M, Weekend $6.1M

9. Hope Springs (Sony) Week 3 [2,402 Runs] PG13
Friday $1.6M, Weekend $5.5M, Cume $44.6M

10. Hit And Run (Open Road) NEW [2,870 Runs] R
Friday $1.3M, Weekend $3.8M, Cume $4.8M

12. The Apparition (Dark Castle/WB) NEW [810 Runs]
Friday $975K, Weekend $2.6M
at The Apparition. I'm surprised Warner even gave it a theatrical release, especially with it sitting at a solid 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 08-25-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

That's sadly the way the OP and a lot of people view and process things. I don't know if it's because they aren't capable of anything else or they just somehow enjoy it... just be thankful you're not like that.
Old 08-25-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Lousy numbers all around, but happy for Expendables to be #1 for 2 weeks in a row.
Old 08-25-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

at The Apparition. I'm surprised Warner even gave it a theatrical release, especially with it sitting at a solid 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.
I keep seeing ads for both The Apparition and The Possession. They both look so identically generic and bland that I have a hard time thinking they're two separate movies and that they're just advertising the same damn movie with two different titles.

I've honestly never heard of that Obama Doc.
Old 08-25-12, 12:38 PM
Banned

The Christians are coming out for their hated of black people Obama, what's new?
Ridiculous
Old 08-25-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BOM's estimates for Friday. Sadly, The Apparition broke a million... but dropped to #12.

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Ridiculous
Originally Posted by Artman
That's sadly the way the OP and a lot of people view and process things. I don't know if it's because they aren't capable of anything else or they just somehow enjoy it... just be thankful you're not like that.
Old 08-25-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

This Obama doc will most likely help Romney this election year, the way Fahrenheit 9/11 made John Kerry our 44th president back in 2004.
Old 08-25-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD
This Obama doc will most likely help Romney this election year, the way Fahrenheit 9/11 made John Kerry our 44th president back in 2004.

The difference between the two, Fahrenheit 9/11 grossed $120 million.

Man, whatever happened to our 44th vice president John Edwards?
Old 08-25-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The difference between the two, Fahrenheit 9/11 grossed $120 million.

Man, whatever happened to our 44th vice president John Edwards?
Wouldn't he have been our 47th vp?
Old 08-25-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Wouldn't he have been our 47th vp?
Look. I don't know how to count. I was just quoting what PatD posted.
Old 08-25-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Whoah. Did not know that, I'll have to check it out soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.