Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you truly feel about George Lucas ?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How do you truly feel about George Lucas ?

Old 08-24-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: How do you truly feel about George Lucas ?

A guy with great ideas who really needs others to help execute them.
Old 08-24-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I agree. I think digitally touching up the film is a good idea. No one complained when Ridley Scott did this. I even like that he added entire new backgrounds to Cloud City to make it more cloud-like.

But I don't like changing the story. For example, inserting Jabba The Hutt in the first movie. The threat of this mysterious gangster "Jabba" is lessened when we have Han purposely stepping on his tail and being so at ease with him. Plus, it takes away the reveal in Jedi of "Oh, THAT'S Jabba The Hutt!"

It feels more of an excersie in look-what-I-can-do rather than genuinely enhancing story.
He even made a mess of the touch-ups. He filled the background of Mos Eisley with visual clutter that distracted from the characters. He did it over and over throughout the movies.

It's like schizophrenic artists who are literally unable to leave anything white.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 08-24-12 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-24-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
AOTC - when Padme falls off the gunship towards the end, when she gets back up her dialogue is not so "upbeat" and I think a bit with Anakin's new hand was tweaked at the very end.
It also looks they digitally erased Natalie Portman's nipples for the DVD release. I remember her sporting some serious pokies in the theater. (They might have been on Tattooine, but her nips were totally Hoth.)
Old 08-25-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It also looks they digitally erased Natalie Portman's nipples for the DVD release. I remember her sporting some serious pokies in the theater. (They might have been on Tattooine, but her nips were totally Hoth.)
I wasn't sure about that one, didn't want to post it and have to retract.

I'm pretty sure they had to recall and redo a Padme toy though that had her sporting some serious cameltoe though.
Old 08-25-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
A guy with great ideas who really needs others to help execute them.
Old 08-25-12, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish he'd fall down the stairs and get hurt. Not permanently, mind you, just really badly. I wonder what happened to him ? He once said that it would be a travesty if films were changed....but then went and changed some of the greatest films of all time.
Old 08-25-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
AOTC - when Padme falls off the gunship towards the end, when she gets back up her dialogue is not so "upbeat" and I think a bit with Anakin's new hand was tweaked at the very end.
Also, the brief exchange between Padmé and Anakin after he confesses to slaughtering the Tusken Raiders was added back in.
Old 08-27-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I'm just exhausted from talking about George Lucas.

In the 80s/ early 90s I could talk Star Wars endlessly with my friends. I owned all thee movies on VHS and a large assortment of the toys. Star Wars was amazing!

Then the Special editions of the original trilogy came to theaters and I was happy. Sure, some of his additions were silly. A horrible looking CGI Jabba in Ep. IV that already looked dated, A ridiculous new musical number in Jabba's palace in Jedi, and the final shot of Jedi ruined due to new music that was jarring and abrupt instead of the fantastic Ewok music that blended seamlessly into the Star Wars theme. But those little problems were a small price to pay to see the original trilogy on the big screen with fantastically restored picture and sound. I still loved Star Wars.

Then the prequel trilogy came out. I remember sitting in the theater watching Ep. I and thinking "This movie really sucks" but I kept those feelings in check realizing that with 20 years of anticipation and one of the best trailers ever that nothing could meet those expectations.

I tried to convince myself that the prequel trilogy would get better and Ep. II and III would connect the prequel trilogy to the original trilogy nicely. I hoped that Ep. II would be better, and it was...slightly. I held out hope that EP. III would be better than Ep. II and it was a little. After all, this was the one that would connect the new trilogy to the old and everything would make sense. But only after seeing Lucas try to wrap everything up in the last 5 MINUTES of Ep. III I had to accept the fact that the prequel trilogy just sucked. He had 3 fucking movies to work with and he tries to wrap it all up in the last 5 minutes?! The prequel trilogy is the biggest missed opportunity in the history of film!

But at least I still had my original trilogy, though small changes were made, it was still MOSTLY the trilogy I grew up with. Then the DVDs came out and Lucas added more shit. Seeing Hayden Christiansen replace Sebastian Shaw was when I thought "This just isn't fun anymore".

Then Lucas released the Blu-ray changing even more shit! Shit that didn't even need to be changed! In all my 30+ years of endless conversations about Star Wars I can't ever recall anyone saying "Star Wars would be perfect if only there was a rock in front of R2D2 when he hid from the Sand People" or "They really should have made Obi Wan's dragon scream so comical it pulls you out of the movie". And I can't think of any reason to add Vader saying "Nooo." in Jedi other than as a big fuck you to the fans.

Bottom line is he ruined the Star Wars that I love...A little at a time. Greedy shooting first didn't ruin Star Wars. Horrible CGI Jabba didn't ruin it. Ghost Hayden didn't ruin it. Even Vader yelling "No!" in Jedi didn't ruin it but when you add it all up it simply isn't the same set of films I grew up with.

The sad thing is that a vast majority of Lucas hate would go away if he just released the OOT on Blu-ray. I think Chevy Chase says it best in National Lampoon's Vacation: "We watch his program... We buy his toys, we go to his movies... he owes us. Doesn't he owe us, huh? He owes the Griswolds, right? Fucking-A right he owes us!"
Old 08-27-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think he owes the OT to just the fans but the entire film community. This is a guy whose name used to be used in the same sentence as Scorsese. Even comparing Lucas to Spielberg seems somewhat insulting.

I have nothing more to add that wasn't already said.