Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you truly feel about George Lucas ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How do you truly feel about George Lucas ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How do you truly feel about George Lucas ?

Originally Posted by RobLutter
I wish he would have died in the early 1990s. Star Wars and Indy were finished, ILM and Pixar were established and going. No prequel trilogy and no Special Edition.

Basically two decades of poor decisions after that.
Looks like God has explaining to do.
Old 08-23-12, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FRwL
So did Roddenberry, what's up with thee two?!?
Black women are very friendly and know how to comfort shy men.
Can you guess how?
Old 08-23-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I think this question:

Originally Posted by philly1981
Do you think he owe the fans of the films anything ? Like for example when it comes to releasing the original films on Blu ray ?

is best answered with this (bolded):

Originally Posted by Mattflix

Newer Lucas - Pure business and has lost his ability to be an artist. Beleives any idea that pops in his head to be a good one. States that the quantity of effects shots in a movie make it a better movie. Disrespects the top-tier award-winning effects work done on his movies by replacing them with CGI that almost immediately feels dated. He had an inspired idea by latching onto merchandising rights, but I wish he would've used that power to make innovative movies.
Does he owe the fans? Debatable?

Does he it to the films themselves to be seen in the best possible presentation in their original form? Absolutely and without reservation: yes.
Old 08-23-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Black women are very friendly and know how to comfort shy men.
Can you guess how?

Please explain.
Old 08-23-12, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I think this question:

is best answered with this (bolded):

Does he owe the fans? Debatable?

Does he it to the films themselves to be seen in the best possible presentation in their original form? Absolutely and without reservation: yes.
Great answer
Old 08-23-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I think if George had just stuck with touching up/correcting mistakes in his STAR WARS re-edits, none of us would be complaining. Is anyone really upset he took out matte lines? No. We're upset because he CHANGED the stories we loved so much with new/updated footage/effects.
Old 08-23-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
I think George was a moderately talented director that knocked one out of the park (Star Wars), got rich, got greedy, lost touch, lost his touch, and blamed everyone but himself for his subpar output since. His contempt for his fans is analogous to a god who wonders why his acolytes don't worship him anymore after he keeps flooding their villages.
well said. Star Wars easily could have been a one and done proposition. How it got so huge is beyond me. I saw it in the theater and liked it but never thought it was this groundbreaking film that would become a top film and franchise!? It was based on crappy serials from the 50's for Christ's sake.

He's lucky the fans embraced it like they did, then he crapped on them and wonders why they don't like him
Old 08-23-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
well said. Star Wars easily could have been a one and done proposition. How it got so huge is beyond me. I saw it in the theater and liked it but never thought it was this groundbreaking film that would become a top film and franchise!? It was based on crappy serials from the 50's for Christ's sake.

He's lucky the fans embraced it like they did, then he crapped on them and wonders why they don't like him
The plot was really secondary in 1977...no one had seen effects done like that on the big screen before, and the pacing of the movie was something we weren't used to either. It was Stanley Kubrick's 2001 with the foot on the gas pedal. It WAS groundbreaking.
Old 08-23-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think if George had just stuck with touching up/correcting mistakes in his STAR WARS re-edits, none of us would be complaining. Is anyone really upset he took out matte lines? No. We're upset because he CHANGED the stories we loved so much with new/updated footage/effects.
I agree. I think digitally touching up the film is a good idea. No one complained when Ridley Scott did this. I even like that he added entire new backgrounds to Cloud City to make it more cloud-like.

But I don't like changing the story. For example, inserting Jabba The Hutt in the first movie. The threat of this mysterious gangster "Jabba" is lessened when we have Han purposely stepping on his tail and being so at ease with him. Plus, it takes away the reveal in Jedi of "Oh, THAT'S Jabba The Hutt!"

It feels more of an excersie in look-what-I-can-do rather than genuinely enhancing story.
Old 08-24-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is how I always felt since he started changing the movies in 1997. Once he started inserting Hayden Christenson in the damn ROTJ Ghost Scene that is when he lost me!
Old 08-24-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Major props for turning me into a film, sci-fi, and comic fan and I love knowing that I can safely put in a Lucasfilm production and my little guys will be enthralled. I look at him moreas a storyteller than a film director.
Old 08-24-12, 09:08 AM

When's he going to start touching up the prequels?
Old 08-24-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

He starting touching up the prequels almost immediately after they were released.
Old 08-24-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Red Tails looked terrible. Did anybody end up seeing it?
Old 08-24-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mattflix
When's he going to start touching up the prequels?
In case you weren't aware, TPM had a few changed scenes on the DVD. The third lap of the pod race was extended, showing off more of Anakin's skill. And there's a small sequence on Coruscant when they first arrive asPadme, Anakin and Jar Jar get into an air taxi while Qui Gon speaks to Palpatine. It shows off a little more of the city.

For the Bluray they inserted the CGI Yoda model over the puppet.

AOTC - when Padme falls off the gunship towards the end, when she gets back up her dialogue is not so "upbeat" and I think a bit with Anakin's new hand was tweaked at the very end.

ROTS - I think the only change was a couple of the transition wipes were tweaked.

Frankly, I'd kinda be okay with all three of the prequels getting tweaked for pacing. Not much you can do with the story at this point, but they could still be given a bit more "snap" with some snips and bobs here and there (same goes for ROTJ.)
Old 08-24-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
AOTC - when Padme falls off the gunship towards the end, when she gets back up her dialogue is not so "upbeat" and I think a bit with Anakin's new hand was tweaked at the very end.
This was actually tweaked in the days leading up to release. Anakin's robot hand was shown grabbing Padme's hand during the wedding in the Digital release, but not on the 35mm release.
Old 08-24-12, 01:58 PM

Oh geez. Well at least he's consistent.
Old 08-24-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
This was actually tweaked in the days leading up to release. Anakin's robot hand was shown grabbing Padme's hand during the wedding in the Digital release, but not on the 35mm release.
Right you are.

In a similar vein, the first releases of TPM had Maul falling down the shaft in one piece because Lucas wasn't sure he could show a severed body in a PG film. He got the OK fairly late in the process, so the rest of the prints show the two pieces of Maul falling.
Old 08-24-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Wow, Lucas continues his effort to chip away at any artistic integrity these movies had remaining and bring shame to Star Wars fans everywhere. As long as the toys keep selling, I guess.

http://www.theforce.net/story/First_...urs_147679.asp
Old 08-24-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Red Tails looked terrible. Did anybody end up seeing it?
I saw it. Predictable storyline with cliche characters, pretty much like any mainstream WWII film. EXCELLENT visuals and flying sequences, though.
Old 08-24-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Wow, Lucas continues his effort to chip away at any artistic integrity these movies had remaining and bring shame to Star Wars fans everywhere. As long as the toys keep selling, I guess.

I actually think this looks like a lot of fun. More fun than CLONE WARS, to be sure.
Old 08-24-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Just... wow.
Old 08-24-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
I wish he would have died in the early 1990s. Star Wars and Indy were finished, ILM and Pixar were established and going. No prequel trilogy and no Special Edition.

Basically two decades of poor decisions after that.
Patton Oswalt has a great comedy bit on his "Werewolves And Lollipops" album about the (all too common) wish that George Lucas had died before making the Special Editions and the Prequels:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dUWdjVcenKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-24-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

That looks awesome! I actually laughed a few times.
Old 08-24-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That looks great actually. Brings some fun back to Star Wars.

I also enjoy the Clone Wars series (esp Genndy's first take on them).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.