Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

director Tony Scott dies in apparent suicide

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

director Tony Scott dies in apparent suicide

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: director Tony Scott dies in apparent suicide

Originally Posted by Groucho
Very cool of those people to stand their ground and shoot video rather than running up and trying to stop him.
It's a big bridge. There's a good chance they weren't close enough, or even on the bridge, and had no chance to get close to him, especially if he climbed a fence to get to the point where he jumped off.

"The Bridge" is an excellent documentary about people who jump off the Golden Gate Bridge to commit suicide. Highly recommended, if you can stomach it.
Old 08-21-12, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I would never forcefully stop someone from killing themself. MAYBE if it were a loved one. Who am I to deny them? I might ask, "are you sure you want to do that"? Or offer some passive advice. Nothing else.
I know, right. No reason to assume anything other than that they're a conscious, rational person making a calculated decision. It's not like the person could be mentally handicapped or suffering from mental illness.
Old 08-21-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I know, right. No reason to assume anything other than that they're a conscious, rational person making a calculated decision. It's not like the person could be mentally handicapped or suffering from mental illness.
Eh, I guess I'm just one of those eternal optimists...so I'd let them jump.

Not going to risk getting pulled off a bridge just to "save" a stranger that doesn't care to live anymore for whatever reason. There are very brave men and women who do not get paid nearly enough to put themselves at risk to enforce laws against suicide for that.
Old 08-21-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

Holy shit I hadn't learned until now that it was due to suicide. I was on vacation the last few days and had heard he had died, but not because of suicide. Damn...
Old 08-21-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wanting to sell the video seems like the worst part of this whole story.
Old 08-22-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Wanting to sell the video seems like the worst part of this whole story.
I expect the worst out of people.
Old 08-22-12, 01:48 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

feh, obviously Scott didn't care much about his own life, so why should I?
Old 08-22-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
feh, obviously Scott didn't care much about his own life, so why should I?
Committing suicide doesn't mean someone doesn't care about his own life, so there's nothing obvious about it. Not that you should care.
Old 08-22-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least he didn't have a kid stuck on his peg when he jumped, that's gotta count for something.
Old 08-22-12, 03:25 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
"Top Gun" director Tony Scott seemed to have planned out what he was going to do in the moments before he jumped to his death from the Vincent Thomas Bridge, a witness said.

"He was very methodical. He knew what he planned to do," witness David Silva said in an interview with The Times. "He looked very fit. I cannot imagine that someone in his position would do something like that."

Silva said he was is passenger in a car on the bridge about 60 feet from Scott when he jumped.

"He was on the roadway close to the fence looking around. He was looking around and fumbling with something at his feet. He looked nervous," Silva said. "I thought it was some extreme sports guy."

Silva said the car he was riding in was on the north side of the bridge heading to Palos Verdes while Scott was on the south side.

Silva said Scott was wearing sporty orange and gray attire with shorts.

Silva said he "paused a couple of seconds and then began to climb the fence. He put his foot on the top of the fence and paused again. And then he threw himself off. I immediately thought, that guy is dead."

At first, he and other motorists thought it was an daredevil stunt. Then they realized the man didn't have a parachute or safety cord.

Silva said he called 911 immediately

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ness-says.html
It's interesting that people thought he might be a daredevil or doing some kind of stunt. Last Saturday/Sunday night was very hot in LA. It wasn't like he was on some fog shrouded bridge at 2:00 am in the midddle of February. It was midnight on a Saturday night and it was 80 degrees out.

Just an FYI: In William Friedkin's film To Live and Die In LA the main character jumps off the Vincent Thomas bridge using a bungy-cord/decelerator as a kind of "extreme stunt".

Also, I believe that the Vincent Thomas bridge is the bridge the Monkees jump off of at the beginging of their movie Head. Can anyone confirm that? EDIT: I checked and it was in fact the Gerald Desmond Bridge that the Monkees jumped off of. That bridge is about a 1/4 mile from the Vincent Thomas Bridge.

One last Fun Fact about the Vincent Thomas bridge: It is the bridge that DeNiro refers to as the Saint Vincent Thomas Bridge in Heat during the scene where they are tricking Pacino and the cops. The bridge was not named after a saint but rather a politician who championed its construction.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-22-12 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 03:59 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Committing suicide doesn't mean someone doesn't care about his own life, so there's nothing obvious about it. Not that you should care.
oh, I think it's the very definition of not caring about your own life.
Old 08-22-12, 04:14 PM
En vacance

This went from guy realizing his final destination from the destiny of liquifying his brain to tyke poo puncher pulling a Goebbels (and it'll be youtubed!)
Old 08-22-12, 04:34 PM

Or maybe he cared too much. Depends on how you look at it.
Old 08-22-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

There were also pics of him near the bridge location scouting or something from 2 years ago.
Old 08-22-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Why don't people commit suicide in better ways? Like jumping from a plane without a parachute or something.

I care about my life. Kind of. I dunno. Life just seems like something that comes and goes. I've always been a "you can't take it with you" kind of guy. You're not going to catch me on a deathbed, gasping and croaking for my last breaths of air. And I don't want to be part of a gaudy cemetary.
Old 08-22-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This thread is bewildering.
Old 08-22-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Just an FYI: In William Friedkin's film To Live and Die In LA the main character jumps off the Vincent Thomas bridge using a bungy-cord/decelerator as a kind of "extreme stunt".
Indeed. William Petersen about to take the plunge.

Old 08-22-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's because you have a myopic view of life. Perhaps that's because you're lucky enough never to have known someone who was dieing of a dreadful, protracted disease that was painful and robbed them of their dignity.

I've known people who were suffering from ALS, terminal cancer, and horrible side effects of a lifetime of type 1 diabetes. They all loved their lives and their families, yet couldn't stand their suffering.

Watch the documentary "The Suicide Tourist." It might give you a little compassion. But probably not.

Why don't people commit suicide in better ways? Like jumping from a plane without a parachute or something.
Well, there would be renting a plane and getting a pilot to take you where you wanted to go, then hoping you could get out of the plane before he tried to stop you. Hopefully the pilot wouldn't be too psychologically messed up by your actions, and he'd be able to convince the police he had no part in your suicide or knowledge of what you were going to do.

Of course you'd have a nice long time on your way to the ground to be aware of what was about to happen.

Jumping off a bridge wouldn't be my choice, but it seems just as effective as jumping out of a plane, but a lot simpler.
Old 08-22-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting in this thread Mr. Salty.
Old 08-22-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Jumping off a plane can have serious consequences:

1) You land on a tree with a huge branch that gets rammed up your ass and you live.

2) You land on top of a little girl and you kill her and yourself.

3) You land in a spot that is full of hungry lions.

4) You land on a hay stack, then you bounce off and fall right into an incoming tractor.

Jumping off a bridge is better. You drown, blarb blarb blard all water inside your lungs and then the fishes eat your ass out.
Old 08-23-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic
Jumping off a plane can have serious consequences:

1) You land on a tree with a huge branch that gets rammed up your ass and you live.

2) You land on top of a little girl and you kill her and yourself.

3) You land in a spot that is full of hungry lions.

4) You land on a hay stack, then you bounce off and fall right into an incoming tractor.
Only if you're Wile E Coyote.
Old 08-23-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Jumping out of a plane takes too long. If you just went and hopped out where it's somewhat inconspicuous you'd have a minimum 5 minute flight up and a 30 second drop to earth once you're out of the plane, 30 ridiculously long seconds. With a bridge it's much faster, and probably less messy.
Old 08-23-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He should have became a super hero. Get a costume, mask, whatever and go around fighting crime.

Or

Become a villain. Get a costume, mask, whatever and go around committing crime.

That would be a good suicide!

Note- if you still this idea and turn it into a blockbuster film, I will sue you! Or has it already been done?!
Old 08-23-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
This thread is bewildering.