Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac; S: LaBeouf, Gainsbourg, Skarsgard, Dafoe, Thurman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac; S: LaBeouf, Gainsbourg, Skarsgard, Dafoe, Thurman

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-14, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac; S: LaBeouf, Gainsbourg, Skarsgard, Dafoe, Thurman

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
von Trier's intended cut is 5 and a half hours long. The producers truncated it to make it more of an "easy sell" in theaters. He still intends to release his preferred version later this year, but as of now, the version in theaters is the edited versions.

It says here some of the stuff that's missing in "Vol. I":

http://www.filmcomment.com/article/n...lars-von-trier
So the "uncut" Part 1 is basically just its equivalent as part of the 5.5 hour film? Making the uncut Part 2 around 180 minutes?
Old 04-05-14, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac; S: LaBeouf, Gainsbourg, Skarsgard, Dafoe, Thurman

Originally Posted by LPMA
So the "uncut" Part 1 is basically just its equivalent as part of the 5.5 hour film? Making the uncut Part 2 around 180 minutes?
That's what they're saying.
Old 04-12-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I just finished 'Vol. 1' and I absolutely loved it.
Old 04-14-14, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw Vol. II last night. Loved it!

I didn't like Shai LeBeouf in either film, but the rest of the casting was on-point which made up for that.
Old 04-14-14, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having seen part II, I must say
Spoiler:
I don't care for the ending. First, let's not even waste time on the dynamic of this entire confession. A Nymphomaniac woman just so happened rescued by an asexual man. A frank honest discussion of human sexuality from two completely opposite perspectives, yet Joe's stories were totally relate-able to Seligman's experience and knowledge in academia. But the conclusion it reaches was exact opposite. Instead of what should be obvious, Seligman eventually proposition Joe for intercourse, he let Joe fall sleep first before coming back to forcibly rape Joe? A man, who by all account professed to be asexual, gotten no pleasures from previous sexual experiences would come back with a such stereotypical male dominated violent sexual act against a woman he tried to empathize for 5 hours. It was clear to me that this conclusion was an obvious attempt to provoke a sickening emotional effect from the audiences when especially the gender double standard was thrown in a few sentences right before the rape. I thought all 7 chapters were very well written in that it touched on every component of a sex addict. It rang true to me, I appreciated the film presenting sex addiction from a female perspective, but I was disgusted by the ending.
Old 04-22-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

This weekend a local theater is showing both parts back-to-back. Would this be a preferred way to watch this? Should I wait for the longer cut to be released?
Old 04-22-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
This weekend a local theater is showing both parts back-to-back. Would this be a preferred way to watch this? Should I wait for the longer cut to be released?
I watched them in back to back nights on PPV. You might need a break after watching the first one. s
Old 04-22-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Theater says there will be an intermission between flicks.
Old 04-23-14, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Theater says there will be an intermission between flicks.
Haha. I meant an emotional break. Not 15 minutes or whatever it is. I liked Part I better, although Part II is really good as well. Part II has much more difficult scenes to watch. It's outright brutal at times.

Part II features Charlotte Gainsbourg as the adult "Joe" much more than the first film.

As far as Part II goes, all I'll say is that "Billy Elliot" was a long time ago. Wait until you see what Jamie Bell's character is up to in this film.
Old 04-23-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info. What I am up against is that this weekend will be my main shot at catching these. My girlfriend and I have plans for Saturday (she is not interested in the movie). The weekday showings are way too late. So that leaves Sunday.

I will see about maybe splitting up the showings but I might just have to power through them back-to-back.
Old 04-24-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like the blu ray is coming out on 7/8. You can buy Vol 1 & 2 separate or as a bundle. Right now Amazon has the bundle pretty cheap ($28). Not sure if it's uncut or not.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVQ7QTM/...I3VWNZTVW2BU1P
Old 04-24-14, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. That's my birthday.
Old 04-26-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Vol 1 & Vol 2 (they're both included in the same package) is currently on sale via Amazon UK. I canceled my order, because I don't think they're the uncensored cuts. I'll wait for those.
Old 07-03-14, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I found the R1 Blu-Ray at a local store this evening and everything about it looks great except for one thing:

The aspect ratio has been changed for the third chapter "Mrs. H" from 1.85 to 2.40 and the audio's pitch has been slowed.
Old 07-03-14, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
So I found the R1 Blu-Ray at a local store this evening and everything about it looks great except for one thing:

The aspect ratio has been changed for the third chapter "Mrs. H" from 1.85 to 2.40 and the audio's pitch has been slowed.
That's strange. Any reason why Magnolia would do that?

Outside the (reported) cheaper price, is there any reason why I shouldn't be looking to purchase UK release?
Old 07-03-14, 08:22 AM
Banned

Is the UK BD region free?
Old 07-03-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Is the UK BD region free?
If I'm not mistaken it's Region B.
Old 07-03-14, 02:27 PM
Banned

Damn.

I need more details on the US BD. I got it preordered.
Old 07-05-14, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn.

I need more details on the US BD. I got it preordered.
The film and bonuses are split over two discs (the artwork for each matches the European teaser posters of the fish hook and the whip).

Disc I's extras include a ten minute look at the characters, a 3 minute EPK and the "Vol. I" trailer. Disc's II's are two ten minute makings of regarding Lars von Trier and the sex and the "Vol. II" trailer.
Old 07-05-14, 07:32 AM
Banned

I was talking about the technical nature of it cuz it seems Magnolia may have fucked this one.
Old 07-05-14, 11:12 AM
Banned

DVDtalk review: www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/64601/nymphomaniac-vol-1-vol-2/

They don't mention anything like ratio change and audio pitch. Hrmmmmm.
Old 07-05-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDtalk review: www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/64601/nymphomaniac-vol-1-vol-2/

They don't mention anything like ratio change and audio pitch. Hrmmmmm.
The aspect ratio change would have been something the reviewer would have known prior, like ReduxGuy. Though I'm only assuming that the reviewer had not watched the film previous to this.

Wondering why they didn't notice the pitch change. I wonder how significant it is. ReduxGuy, can you chime in on that?

I'm Region Free for BDs, so buying the UK release isn't an issue. It's just the price difference. The UK release would be about $33 (before removal of VAT tax and adding on shipping) vs. the release at Best Buy which has been reported at $17.99 for both films.
Old 07-06-14, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only time the audio pitch was noticeable was during the flashback scenes in "Mrs. H". Watching the Blu-Ray, whenever Uma Thurman speaks, her voice sounds a little deeper than it normally is and even Charlotte Gainsbourg's narration comes off sounding "off" compared to her normal voice. Watching the trailer and the film on Blu, there's a definite difference that shows.

As for the aspect ratio, I screen capped several shots. The ones on top are from the original trailer, which shows the scenes as they were shown theatrically and the ones on bottom are as they're presented on the Blu-Ray/DVD.

* interesting side note: at the end of "Vol. II", when the recap of all the major events take place, the scenes from this chapter are shown in their OAR.
Old 07-06-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's very odd.
Old 07-06-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Weird, but I would never go by what is shown in a trailer anymore. Half the time there's actual footage that never makes it to the theatrical cut let alone whacky OAR changes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.