Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trouble with the Curve (Dir: Robert Lorenz) (Eastwood, Adams, Timberlake, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UdJPvXLemVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Didn't he say he was going to quit from acting? Guess not. Also..this the 1st time in a long time he's acted under another director besides himself...I think like 20ish years?

This movie looks like it is a fun thing to see. I'm game. Really like the cast and the premise.
Old 08-08-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Trouble with the Curve (Dir: Robert Lorenz) (Eastwood, Adams, Timberlake, etc)

The cast and the trailer looks good. I will check it out.
Old 08-11-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: Trouble with the Curve (Dir: Robert Lorenz) (Eastwood, Adams, Timberlake, etc)

I saw the trailer for this yesterday when I went to see The Bourne Legacy. Was pleasantly surprised to see Eastwood as the lead since it was assumed Gran Torino was his last film.

I'm definitely check this out. Has a good cast and a fun sounding premise.

Seems like Eastwood is getting typecast as an angry old man.
Old 08-11-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Looks like one of those movies that can be good for a shitty day...it's got that happy good feel vibe all over it.

Btw that's Lois Lane right there.
Old 08-12-12, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lorenz is a long-time Eastwood Collaborator who is directing his first feature film and I bet Eastwood staring gets it made.
Old 08-12-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Lorenz is a long-time Eastwood Collaborator who is directing his first feature film and I bet Eastwood staring gets it made.
Old 08-12-12, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was the perfect image to put up. Well done, sir.
Old 08-12-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
That is most likely correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lorenz

Robert Lorenz is a producer, best known for his collaborations with Clint Eastwood. He has produced Mystic River[1] (for which he earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture and lost), Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima (for which he earned another Oscar nomination for Best Picture, and lost again) with Eastwood. He also served as executive producer on Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby and Blood Work and has worked as an assistant director on over 20 films. In 2012 he directed Trouble with the Curve.
Old 09-24-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, so the film itself is somewhat predictable as a light-weight melodrama featuring Clint Eastwood as an Atlanta Braves baseball talent scout (Gus) whose eyes are failing him and he's closing in on his retirement phase, begrudingly so, and Amy Adams as his somewhat estranged daughter, Mickey, on the fast-track to make partner at her law firm, but has to deal with Gus's ailing faculties. The marketing of the film doesn't even mention Justin Timberlake's role in the film (i.e. I was surprised when he shows up on-screen).

The way I look at it, Clint Eastwood isn't making too many more films, and I get a kick out of his ornery-ness, and a film like this is simply comfort food for the movie-goer. I like baseball, and enjoyed the scouting and trivia//numbers aspect of baseball, and the script at least pays its dues in that department.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B- (check out at matinee pricing if you're a fan of Clint and baseball).
Old 09-24-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I hadn't seen too many positive reviews for this one, but I'm looking forward to it. Rare is the baseball movie that I don't enjoy to some degree.
Old 09-24-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not a homerun, but more like a stand-up double.

Last edited by Patman; 09-24-12 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I thought the "sunshine" song was pretty damn corny to use in this, and the "Peanut Boy" scouting I could see from a mile away but other than that it was good to see Clint acting again, as well as Amy Adams. Justin Timberlake also did well, nice sense of humor from his character.
Old 09-25-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

This was an A-list cast with a D+ script. I give it a C+ overall. Not worth paying for in a theater, but it will make an enjoyable enough rental once it hits home video. Hoping this isn't Clint's last on-screen performance - not a great flick to go out on.
Old 09-25-12, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back; here's my quick take:

Pros:
Clint on screen again
Amy Adams is enjoyable
That's pretty much it.

Cons:
How does Justin Timberlake continue to get acting jobs?
Could they have found a more out of shape kid to play the hot prospect? You need to be at least a little athletic to be an athlete, especially as an up and coming 3rd basemen...
Horrendous, overly sappy script...
It took them that long to figure out he couldn't hit a curve? Damn, half the pitches you see, even in high school are off speed. I saw plenty in my time.

If Clint wasn't attached, this thing would bomb.
Old 09-26-12, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This movie looks awful.
Old 09-27-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by jmu878
How does Justin Timberlake continue to get acting jobs?
The Social Network - he was fantastic in it. I didn't really have any problems with him here...not a great performance, but nothing that was embarassing - his character just wasn't written well (as most of the characters in this film).
Old 09-27-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw it last weekend, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Admittedly, I would watch a movie about watching paint dry if Amy Adams was the star, but even discounting that, I thought it was great.

Regarding the "hot prospect", he had one thing going for him - he had a reputation for consistently hitting it way out of the park. He wasn't supposed to be a five-tool player. In fact, I think that was kind of the point. His other shortcomings were being overlooked because of his great hitting.
Old 07-08-13, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I saw it last weekend, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Admittedly, I would watch a movie about watching paint dry if Amy Adams was the star, but even discounting that, I thought it was great.

Regarding the "hot prospect", he had one thing going for him - he had a reputation for consistently hitting it way out of the park. He wasn't supposed to be a five-tool player. In fact, I think that was kind of the point. His other shortcomings were being overlooked because of his great hitting.
Sorry for the bump but I just watched this on HBO over the weekend. Unfortunately that's exactly what Matthew Lilliard, as the guy who was making the call on the kid, said he would be when he was making his pitch to the GM. Once he said that, all it took was thinking of this tubby kid and how he didn't depict speed or look like an agile 3B which are of course two of the five tools.

And the "trouble with the curve" wasn't that he couldn't hit the curve at all - they made it a point to note that his game-winning HR at the end was off a curve. But the hitch that only Eastwood's character noticed would be enough where he couldn't hit a major league curve, not a high school curve.
Old 07-08-13, 11:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
This movie looks awful.
unmemorable is a more appropriate word.