Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CHAINED (2012) (dir. Jennifer Lynch) (Vincent D'Onofrio, Julia Ormond)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-27-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Uney3BbKyjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bob, a cab-driving serial killer who stalks his prey on the city streets alongside his reluctant protégé Tim, who must make a life or death choice between following in Bob's footsteps or breaking free from his captor.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1989475/

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 07-28-12 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-10-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: CHAINED (2012) (dir. Jennifer Lynch) (Vincent D'Onofrio, Julia Ormond)

You can watch a quick scene here:

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/n...lynchs-chained

This looks pretty crazy...I really dug her last flick as well and I'm a fan of hers in general.
Old 08-10-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently there's a scene that the MPAA removed, since it originally received an NC-17 rating. Anchor Bay said that the scene is being re-added to the Blu-ray and DVD. I'll definitely give this a rental. I'm not a huge fan of Jennifer Lynch, but I'm willing to give this a shot.
Old 08-10-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I enjoyed Surveillance, and Jennifer is one nutty chick, so I'm down to check this out.
Old 10-01-12, 12:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I watched this tonight. D'Onofrio plays crazy like nobody else (he also channels the abominable snowman from Looney Tunes every time he says "rabbit"). It's creepy and unsettling, but not scary. There's some predictable moments, and a "twist" that doesn't quite work. Still, a good film, just nothing spectacular. Worth a rental for horror fans.

The Blu-ray is on sale this week, apparently.
Old 10-01-12, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
...and a "twist" that doesn't quite work. Still, a good film, just nothing spectacular.
That's an understatement. The "twist" killed the movie. Slaughtered it and then pissed on it for good measure. It didn't make a lick of sense and played out like a parody of the shock endings that have been all the rage over the past decade.
Old 10-02-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just added this to my Vudu queue - sad to hear about the twist that goes bad but I'm still down for renting it.
Old 10-02-12, 07:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

In all fairness, the "twist," which is more of a revelation, is hinted at throughout the film. I didn't hate it as much as golden_rod... but it could have been handled much better. Still, I recommend it for the curious.
Old 10-07-12, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by golden_rod
That's an understatement. The "twist" killed the movie. Slaughtered it and then pissed on it for good measure. It didn't make a lick of sense and played out like a parody of the shock endings that have been all the rage over the past decade.
May I ask you why the hell you had such a problem with the "twist"? It's not even a twist - it's part of the story and it was well played.

This movie was fucking awesome (keep that statement I made separate...just giving what I thought about the film) and I have no idea why the hell you would even mention the above - it's not even intended to be a "shock" ending, it gives fuel to the entire story and if you pay attention....the entire fucking movie is centered around it.

Sorry, not being an asshole...I just don't understand the mindset of a lot of people these days when it comes to movies in general.
Old 10-07-12, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11
May I ask you why the hell you had such a problem with the "twist"? It's not even a twist - it's part of the story and it was well played.
Well-played? Maybe if you enjoy poor plotting. Tossing in a clue via a newspaper article, for example, and arriving at that absurd conclusion 45 minutes later reeked of Jessica Fletcher cum Saw. It's no surprise, though, considering Jennifer Lynch seemingly admitted to editing the shit out of the ending.

I have no idea why the hell you would even mention the above - it's not even intended to be a "shock" ending, it gives fuel to the entire story and if you pay attention....the entire fucking movie is centered around it.
Yeah, diesel fuel that the inept filmmakers then tried to light with a match. No go.

Of course it was intended as a twist, shock, revelation; why bother with subtle clues if it was intended to be transparent? Why bother with an ill-conceived brawl of a confrontation straight out of a Ray Liotta thriller? Stick to the psychology of the situation that you've laid out for the previous 75 minutes, something they intended to return to with the final shot that just ended up being a groaner instead.

I just don't understand the mindset of a lot of people these days when it comes to movies in general.
What mindset is that? The mindset where bad movies should be called out for being...bad movies? It's not like I'm nitpicking this obnoxious shelf-filler of a flick, I'm finding fault with lazy execution.
Old 10-07-12, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed that the BLU/DVD is listed as Rated R. did the "offending" scene/shot get reinserted into the BLU version or is it still censored
Old 10-07-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I noticed that the BLU/DVD is listed as Rated R. did the "offending" scene/shot get reinserted into the BLU version or is it still censored
The Amazon Instant streaming version is listed as NC-17.
Old 10-07-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. J
Apparently there's a scene that the MPAA removed, since it originally received an NC-17 rating. Anchor Bay said that the scene is being re-added to the Blu-ray and DVD. I'll definitely give this a rental. I'm not a huge fan of Jennifer Lynch, but I'm willing to give this a shot.
What was the cut scene?
Old 10-07-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What was the cut scene?
i read on i think bloody disgusting that
Spoiler:
someone gets their throat slit
and i guess the movie is that fucked up that that moment was too much for the mpaa
Old 10-07-12, 08:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i read on i think bloody disgusting that
Spoiler:
someone gets their throat slit
and i guess the movie is that fucked up that that moment was too much for the mpaa
That scene is in the cut I saw theatrically. I think the unrated version is supposed to be far more graphic. Still, what I saw wasn't nearly as graphic as a similar death in Eastern Promises.
Old 10-07-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm thinking that was already in there as well - that scene was pretty sick in the version I saw but who knows.