Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Channing Tatum

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 735 Likes on 599 Posts
Channing Tatum

Why is he getting all these big roles lately?

Does he have a really good agent?

He is probably the most wooden actor currently working in movies. Keanu has more charisma than this guy.

21 Jumpstreet could have been so much better if Andy Samberg, James Franco, Bill Hader or Justin Timberlake played that role.

It is not that I am jealous because he is supposedly a good looking guy but Depp and Pitt are handsome too but they have skills and can act.

When will the 15 minutes of fame end and he will start working in direct to DVD releases?

Old 07-18-12, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Channing Tatum

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
21 Jumpstreet could have been so much better if Andy Samberg, James Franco, Bill Hader or Justin Timberlake played that role.
None of them could have pulled off the "former football team captain jock" role.
Old 07-18-12, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you know how we have shitty good looking actresses? Same thing applies to the men too.

Although...I think Tatum is getting better...not that that means much but he's been good in a few movies.

Did fine in Magic Mike, 21JS, and Haywire. Never saw Stop Loss, was he good in that?
Old 07-18-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Keanu has less chemistry than anyone.(Doesn't mean I don't like some of his stuff.) Channing is hot right now. I think the only movie I saw him in this year was 21 Jump Street and found him pretty funny in it. I don't know.
Old 07-18-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
you know how we have shitty good looking actresses? Same thing applies to the men too.

Although...I think Tatum is getting better...not that that means much but he's been good in a few movies.

Did fine in Magic Mike, 21JS, and Haywire. Never saw Stop Loss, was he good in that?
Don't remember Stop-Loss. I mean I saw it but don't remember. Must've not been that good.
Old 07-18-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

21 Jump Street is just fine as it is.

He's not the best actor in the world, but he works hard and is getting better and better so I don't think he's going to be lost to syfy original monster movies anytime soon.

Plus, financing Magic Mike with Soderbergh shows he may be smarter than he looks.
Old 07-18-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing would have been made better by the addition of Andy Samberg.

Channing Tatum gets roles because he is good looking and can capably act in movies that don't need award-style performances.
Old 07-18-12, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23

Channing Tatum gets roles because he is good looking and can capably act in movies that don't need award-style performances.
Reference: G.I. Joe

easily that has to be the worst film I've seen him in. i hate that fucking movie...so goddamn much.
Old 07-18-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I agree completely with this post, especially the first part. The OP loses some credibility with me for saying Andy Samberg would have done a better job. And Bill Hader as a former popular high school football jock?! That sounds like a disaster. I think Hader would have just come across really creepy. He's pretty good at that.

But Tatum isn't all that bad. He's not a fantastic actor, but there are others far worse than he is. Plus, as others have said, he is apparently a hard worker and seems to have improved.
Old 07-18-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

21 Jump Street is the movie that completely changed my opinion of the guy. I couldn't stand him before because the roles he played were either douche-y action stars or love interests in sappy movies.

He proved to me he has range, and I think he does very well in comedies. I'm actually inclined to check out Magic Mike too because of him now whenever it hits BD.
Old 07-18-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Channing Tatum....range?
Old 07-18-12, 07:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
21 Jump Street is the movie that completely changed my opinion of the guy. I couldn't stand him before because the roles he played were either douche-y action stars or love interests in sappy movies.

He proved to me he has range, and I think he does very well in comedies. I'm actually inclined to check out Magic Mike too because of him now whenever it hits BD.
he's actually quite good in Magic Mike.
Old 07-18-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, look at the bright side. For 21 Jump street they could have gotten Chris Pine or Paul Walker. You would have been begging for Tatum by the end if it was either of those 2
Old 07-18-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A few hours ago I would of been here bashing Tatum with everyone else but I was bored and just picked up 21 Jump Street. I'm REALLY enjoying it and him more than I expected.
Old 07-18-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good for him!
Old 07-18-12, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by onebyone
[I]
Plus, financing Magic Mike with Soderbergh shows he may be smarter than he looks.
He financed it because it was HIS story, not because he had some genius insight into how it would perform.
Old 07-19-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

Just don't do the Colin Ferrel thing - where you show up in every fucking movie for three years. Just cause you get offered a role doesn't mean that you have to take it.
Old 07-19-12, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Actually I'd say he's about on par with Keanu acting wise. And yeah, he no doubt has a good agent. Look at the range of his hit films - action, romance, comedy...male stripping (not sure which genre that's in). Sequels to a few of those are on the way, and he's built up at least a few years of being able to have his pick of projects....if he chooses wisely, he'll continue upwards.

Can't say I begrudge him his success, he's 32 (my age) and put in his time on some pretty bad projects...and it came together for him this year. I'd take full advantage of it too.
Old 07-19-12, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 735 Likes on 599 Posts

Colin Farrell can kick his ass in acting.

They could have rewritten the 21 Jump Street role and not have a jock type play that role plus it was not as if he had to play basketball or football or do some athletic activity in that movie to show he was a jock.

It is a comedy and you did to be good looking so Hader could do that.

Even if had to be a jock James Franco could do that since he looks like he is in decent shape.
Old 07-19-12, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts

With Haywire, 21 Jump Street, and (from what I've read) Magic Mike, Tatum seems to be improving. I always liked the guy so I'm glad he's actually working hard to become a better actor (and reaping the rewards for his efforts).

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Even if had to be a jock James Franco could do that since he looks like he is in decent shape.
Wouldn't that have made the scenes with Dave Franco really awkward?
Old 07-19-12, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This pretty much sums it up...
Old 07-19-12, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Any relation to Drederick Tatum?
Old 07-19-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

I've warmed up to him a bit but I'll never forgive him for talking like a black guy in GI Joe.
Old 07-19-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Because you can't get Ryan Gosling for everything? But seriously, it seems like there's kind of a shortage of good young male actors.

This sort of thing happens from time to time. I remember Josh Hartnett getting a bunch of big roles a while back, and more recently it was Sam Worthington. We'll see if he has staying power.
Old 07-19-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

He has screen presence (unlike say Sam Worthington) and can capably pull off most roles given to him, he isn't a great actor but there are many worse out there. Plus the ladies love him.

He was perfectly cast in 21JS and fit his short role in Haywire fine. I can't say I've seen many other movies with him outside of The Dilemma which I barely remember. He just happened to get his roles to align well for a year (most times this happens for actors and each flick flops, not the case here). 3 movies released this year so far with strong openings and each crossing (or about to cross) the $100m mark, including an R rated comedy and an R rated male stripper movie. Funny since prior to 2012 his highest grossing non-GI Joe movie was $80m for Dear John, and his last 3 movies all grossed under $20m total.

Antithesis to Taylor Kitsch's year.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-19-12 at 09:37 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.