Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

I saw it last night and Roger Ebert echoes my thoughts almost exactly.
Old 07-18-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...ws-movies.html

For some reason, the link above was disabled (!?) Here's another site reporting this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...PPsW_blog.html

Last edited by Daytripper; 07-18-12 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-18-12, 11:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Ebert's comments on Bane. He doesn't have the authority of Ra's Al Ghul or the captivating wildness of The Joker, but ultimately this movie is more about Bruce Wayne than it is about the villain, so I'm okay with it.
Old 07-18-12, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm seeing this tonight in Fort Worth. Will be interesting.
Old 07-18-12, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by redrum
oh my god it's at 86% on RT what are we gonna do now?
Down to 85 now.

Of course, the Metacritic score is almost identical to TDK right now. TDK has an 82 on 39 reviews, while TDKR is sitting at 81 with 26 reviews.

I've always liked Metacritic's system a little more than RT, personally.

*Edit* And just like that, 2 more reviews posted on Metacritic and TDKR is up to 82.

Last edited by Apple Gooncha; 07-18-12 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 03:46 PM
Banned

I've unwillingly stumbled onto a few supposed spoilers this afternoon browsing the net and I don't like what I've read as pertains to the ending, if it turns out to be true. If the big rumour going around about the end turns out to be true, then it's nothing but a cinematic shock tactic in order to get emotion where there would be none otherwise.
Old 07-18-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Question for those who have seen it on the opening premise and if it's 'logic' bothered you

Spoiler:
from the reviews I've read
-Batman took the blame for assassinating the district attorney and then went into hiding. Since they didn't seem to put any effort into finding him, is the excuse for their inaction well justified or more of the 'just don;t think about it' variety?
-Also, Batman doesn't need to come out of hiding because crime in the city (of millions) is way, way down? I can understand him not coming out to beat up on thugs and drug dealers- but does the film actually make the case that attitudes (in this city of millions) have completely turned around and corruption simply doesn't exist anymore? Or on a large scale because one politician symbolized hope and change, and was murdered for it?
Is there a sound foundation for these attitudes or is this just an extension of the ferry boat scene where a cross section of Gotham, including hardened murderers and rapists, suddenly become altruistic and self sacrificing?
Old 07-18-12, 05:07 PM
Banned by request

Paul:

Spoiler:
The way they explain it is that Dent's death was used to create a new law/set of laws known as the "Dent Act" that allowed the cops to deal with corruption and crime more effectively, making Batman unnecessary. As for not finding or capturing him, well, there's a reason he wears a mask. He can just take it off. When he resurfaces the cops do try to capture him.
Old 07-18-12, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I agree with Ebert's comments on Bane. He doesn't have the authority of Ra's Al Ghul or the captivating wildness of The Joker, but ultimately this movie is more about Bruce Wayne than it is about the villain

Thank the fuck Christ.
Old 07-18-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Rex Reed loves it!

http://observer.com/2012/07/the-dark...stopher-nolan/

Halfheartedly, I give The Dark Knight Rises—the third and final Batflick in the Nolan trilogy—one star for eardrum-busting sound effects and glaucoma-inducing computerized images in blinding Imax, but talk about stretching things. That’s all most immature audiences require for their hard-earned money these days. The rest of it should not be reviewed by anyone over the age of 12.
Actually, this is the MOST ENTERTAINING review I've read yet, although it is more of a rant.
Old 07-18-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paul:

Spoiler:
The way they explain it is that Dent's death was used to create a new law/set of laws known as the "Dent Act" that allowed the cops to deal with corruption and crime more effectively, making Batman unnecessary.
Spoiler:

Ok- am I the only one who sees the problem here? They didn't need Batman after all, they just need better legislation all along?
Also the film is trying to sell us that all this change is motivated by the death of a ***POLITICIAN*** ?
Not a tireless civil rights leader, or oppressed political activist but a politician who was well connected and well funded and would have antagonized a legion of similarly well connected, well funded adversaries? Did TDK set this character up as more than a grandstanding (which could be easily be spun as reckless and immature) civil service functionary because of what he did in the film or just because a limited number of his peer group thought he was cool?

Paul:

Spoiler:
As for not finding or capturing him, well, there's a reason he wears a mask. He can just take it off. When he resurfaces the cops do try to capture him.
Spoiler:

Seriously- that's as far as it goes? A film universe where federal authorities exist who can capture Bane, can't simply sit in an office and profile a guy that uses military industrial grade weapons within city limits? Instead they operate with the attitude "well, as long as we can't see him, let's forget about him. But if he shows up again, we'll show him how vexed we are that he murdered the DA."
Nor do they penalize Gordon for having a suspiciously cozy relationship with a character who even he (Gordon) claims murdered a high profile member of the law enforcement community? Instead they make that person Commissioner?
Wow.

Kudos to Nolan for seeing the potential inherent in the downturn in '08 and incorporating a class warfare theme - but just like the intellectual pretensions of TDK, the foundation these grand themes rests on sounds silly and plastic.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-18-12 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh boy.
Old 07-18-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Uh....

Spoiler:
A law because of the late Harvey Dent is able to clean up a crime ridden city? I don't buy it.
Old 07-18-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is anyone surprised? Nolan's Batman films are inherently stupid. The serious heavy handed manner in which he frames the movies is laughably pretentious. Just enjoy them for what they are, but don't think too hard about them.
Old 07-18-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More Rex Reed goodness...

"Speaking lines they cannot possibly understand, not one actor makes any attempt to be believable. So manufactured and synthetic that they eventually lose all sense of reality, they're like reconstituted orange juice and processed cheese".
Old 07-18-12, 07:17 PM
Banned

Rex Reed sounds senile.

Only a senile old fuck or a psychopath would actually pine for a fucking Captain Marvel movie.
Old 07-18-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who wants whimsical when you can have heavy handed and pretentious?
Old 07-18-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Why can't we have even *more* summer Hollywood movies devoid of an iota of substance? I don't want to have to think or feel when I'm staring at a screen for 2+ hours.

I think we should eat cotton candy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner too.
Old 07-18-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There can be only one permanent revolution — a moral one; the regeneration of the inner man.
How is this revolution to take place? Nobody knows how it will take place in humanity, but every man feels it clearly in himself. And yet in our world everybody thinks of changing humanity, and nobody thinks of changing himself.

there, does that make this post any more substantive than yours?

few things are more annoying to me than a superficial veneer of profundity that masks amateurish incoherence.
Old 07-18-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

few things are more annoying to me than a superficial veneer of profundity that masks amateurish incoherence.

Old 07-18-12, 08:18 PM
Banned

You two already got Avengers. Isn't that enough stupidity for you?

You don't have to watch this movie if the idea of one Superhero series that takes itself seriously is so fucking offensive to you.
Old 07-18-12, 08:23 PM
Banned by request

In Paul's defense, I don't think his critique is "Nolan takes himself too seriously, therefore his Batman movies suck," but rather "Because Nolan takes himself seriously, he should consider the ramifications of the actions the characters in his Batman films take."

Most of us are willing to accept the Harvey Dent thing, Paul isn't. Simple as that.
Old 07-18-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
You two already got Avengers. Isn't that enough stupidity for you?

You don't have to watch this movie if the idea of one Superhero series that takes itself seriously is so fucking offensive to you.
Thank you.
Old 07-18-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Is it really two hours and 44 minutes? Since when did big summer movies have to be almost three hours?
Old 07-18-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In Paul's defense, I don't think his critique is "Nolan takes himself too seriously, therefore his Batman movies suck," but rather "Because Nolan takes himself seriously, he should consider the ramifications of the actions the characters in his Batman films take."
yes, thank you. That is exactly the point I've been trying to make (not just in that last post, but in all my posts critical of Nolans work on this property).

And I don't agree with the idea that films that aim lower thematically(like the Avengers) are therefore 'stupid'. On the contrary, that movie knew exactly what it was and worked towards its (more modest) goals with a serious regard for the basics of its craft. Behavior was logical and consistent, and when things happened unexpectedly (Widow's table turning on Loki) it's not simply a twist for the sake of a twist, it's something that was telegraphed blatantly earlier. That is skill and precision in storytelling and it's not stupid.
OTOH, when you have certain characters acting contradictory to their character for the sole purpose of hitting a predetermined plot point later, that's what I find 'stupid' and false. TDK sadly had more than it's share of that kind of stuff, and it looks like TDKR is par for the Nolan course.

My mind is also roomy enough that I can juggle the concept that TDKR is likely full of stupid and also quite entertaining. But entertaining, and paying lip service to heavy topical themes doesn't equate to brilliance.
That takes a level of coherency which I simply haven't seen in Nolan's work on this property and don't expect to here from all accounts.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-18-12 at 08:44 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.