Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which PG-13 movie is okay for kids actually under 13?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which PG-13 film would you most likely allow your child to see?
Amazing Spider-Man
53.57%
Men in Black 3
46.43%
The Avengers
78.57%
The Dark Knight Rises
32.14%
The Hunger Games
21.43%
Battleship
21.43%
Snow White and the Huntsman
14.29%
Rock of Ages
10.71%
Dark Shadows
14.29%
Think Like A Man
10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Which PG-13 movie is okay for kids actually under 13?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Which PG-13 movie is okay for kids actually under 13?

All your comic book movies - Avengers, Spider-man, and Men In Black III should be fine for someone under 13. I'm guessing the new Batman movie will be more "adult" and probably not. I also voted for Hunger Games, although that one is borderline thanks to those damn trackerjackers (scary!). Battleship is probably also okay for a pre-teen.

Dark Shadows is too mature for anyone under 13...I haven't seen the other films on the list.
Old 07-12-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parents are such giant pussies today.

Kids are pussies today too.
Old 07-12-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's tough. there is a big difference between an 11 or 12 year old and a 6 year old. I don't like it when people let little kids see movies like that. People! They will grow up and the movie will still be there!
Old 07-12-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Look, I'm not "pre-screening" movies for my kids. That means we have to get a babysitter and go see a movie, then take the kid again if it's appropriate. The ratings are good for this.

I took my son to The Avengers, but I had already seen it. But for the most part, with my 6 and 8 year old, I go by the ratings. G and PG are fine, PG-13 is for when they are closer to 13.

I'm not a prude by any means. I saw Robocop in the theater and I had to have been about 8 and I turned out fine. But that doesn't mean I necessarily want to do the same to my own children. Which, guess what, is my right as a parent.

I'm not railing against movies. I just don't take my kids to stuff I feel might be a bit much and the ratings help.
Old 07-12-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My parents were of the T&A are bad but violence is ok. IE we had to watch the TV version of Terminator 1 and watched the vhs of T2 all the time
Old 07-12-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I also voted for Hunger Games, although that one is borderline thanks to those damn trackerjackers (scary!).
Sometime it's not what's shown but the subject matter. Kids killing kids is not for someone under 13, even if 90% of it is off screen.

Someone mentioned Romeo and Juliet in the Barbarella thread and it's the same thing. There may not be excessive violence or T&A but the story culminates in two teen suicides. No two ways about it, that's 13+ material to me.
Old 07-17-12, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.film-matters.net/2012/07/...-rated_16.html

The second and final portion of my deratement of the MPAA. Enjoy and thanks for participating in the poll.

Last edited by chris_santucci; 07-17-12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 03:52 PM
Banned

The Tree of Life. The film could practically be a G. Also Whale Rider. PG-13 because a character smokes a j. Idiotic.

Last edited by WeylandYutani; 07-17-12 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember seeing Bonnie and Clyde when it came out in the movies. I was 11. I saw it with a bunch of my friends, some younger and some older. The theater, as it was a saturday matinee, was filled with kids our age. We really liked the gunfights but the scene I remember most is when you almost saw Bonnie nekid. I guess the poor, frail, delicate utes of today would have exploding heads if they were to see a movie like that. I think the vast majority of old people today either completely forgot what it was like when they were kids or they led some of the most sheltered lives imaginable.
Old 07-18-12, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My dad took me to see Robocop 2 & Die Hard 2 in when I was 6 (1990), Terminator 2 when I was 7 (1991), Bram Stoker's Dracula when I was 9 (1992) and Pulp Fiction when I was 10 (1994). And a bunch in between and after that that I can't quite recall. Those all stick out in my mind.

I know that sounds completely inappropriate... but I always knew the difference between real and imaginary, what I could not ever speak aloud in front of teachers or my parents language-wise. All he really cared about was nudity, which he gave me a napkin to hold over my face if applicable (there was a lot of this during BS's Dracula).

I never shot anyone, fondled my teacher's breasts, or spoke out of turn. It just depends on the kid. I know 95% of kids couldn't sit still in the theater as well as me when I was a kid. I knew never to speak during the film and to do whatever I could not to disturb those around me because it was disrepectful.

My dad was/is pretty fucking cool, lol. He tells me that he took me to see Die Hard 24 years ago, but I was 4... so I might just have to take his word for that as I cannot remember that far back.
Old 07-18-12, 02:46 AM
Cool New Member

Well our daughter is 9 soon to be 10 in a couple weeks. I can usually tell what is appropriate for her.

Avengers, TAS, we all went to see, had no issues whatsoever, will be seeing batman as well, and she is geeked to see it ( her words).

Hunger Games, I wanted to read the book first, and would have no issues with it, she head the book as well and enjoyed it.

MIB3 we wouldve gone to see if it interested us enough.

The rest I wouldnt take her to see because there dreck imho. Think like a man I wouldnt because I don't think its appropriate really for that age range.
Old 07-18-12, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Also, i was actually surprised the Katy Perry movie got a PG. Granted most "kids" the movie is aimed at have her albums, but one of the songs featured in the movie does go 'i wanna see your pea cock cock cock'. and there were a few instances of the word bitch
Actually it's peacock, so she just wants to see you large bird in the backyard. So it's OK.
Old 07-18-12, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the failure of the parent w/ these types of things is the fault of not allowing your kid to know wtf is real and what isn't.

I saw Robocop when I was 3. Not by parents...but by my female cousins, 2 of them. Who for some reason thought it was cool..they were like 7 and 8. That probably desensitized way too much w/ violence.

Born in 1986. Coming out of the 80s is where my memory can go. USAction movies, Chuck Norris, Hong Kong action, and tits. It was a different time for sure. Growing up my dad told me these things weren't real. So...I wasn't bothered by it. Fascinated by it for sure cuz..well...if it's not real, then...how does it look real? Kid logic, you know?

Admittingly...I probably wouldn't show my kid Robocop and many of the action films of that era just cuz...well..it's not really appropriate, though Die Hard I think is kind of tame compared to many in the gore..and it's fucking awesome. The gorier it gets the more issues I'd probably have w/ it.

Teach your kids about violence (why it happened and etc) and language. Make them understand and full realize what is and isn't real. It's very simple. I think people either haven't done it right or just haven't done it period. just shutting that door completely and letting the kid figure it out at some point. I'm very fortunate to grow up out of the era that I did. Not to mention that my dad was pretty cool in showing me all the cool stuff he liked too.

also PG-13 films a younger kid can see?
Batman
Batman Returns
Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
i am legend
Cast Away
Men in Black
Iron Man
Captain America
The Incredible Hulk
Thor