Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-29-12, 05:33 PM   #1
Banned

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Delevingne

via geektyrant:

Quote:
Luc Besson (The Professional, Transporter series) will write and direct a feature film live-action adaptation of the 1967 French sci-fi comic series Valerian. The comic mixes space opera with time travel plots, and influenced films such as Star Wars, The Fifth Element, and Avatar. I'm familiar with this comic from the cool retro artwork that I've seen over the years.

The comic was created by writer Pierre Christin and artist Jean-Claude Mézières. The story focuses on the adventures of Valérian, "a spatio-temporal agent, and his redheaded female companion, Laureline, as they travel the universe through space and time. Valérian is a classical anti-hero, kind-hearted, strong and brave but with a tendency to follow the orders of his superiors even if he feels, deep down, that it is the wrong thing to do. On the other hand, his companion Laureline combines her superior intelligence, determination and independence with sex-appeal, making her one of science fiction's most notable heroines."

This is sure to end up being a great project for Besson to develop. I enjoy the movies that he makes, and this could be very cool. I truly hope that they keep the awesome retro style of the comic and carry it over into the film.

Besson's next movie is the dark comedic crime thriller Malavita, which shoots August, starring Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Tommy Lee Jones.

I'm totally game for SciFi Besson film.
Old 06-29-12, 09:55 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Delevingne

Sounds interesting.

I say bring it!
Old 07-01-12, 04:29 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Delevingne

SOunds good. I'm in.
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 07-01-12, 07:24 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Luc Besson+more sci-fi= I'm there. 5th Element was tons of fun, and as long as he doesn't put Milla Jovovich as the female lead (which I doubt), this should be no different.
Old 07-01-12, 07:45 PM   #5
DVD Talk God

being as the 5th element is in my top 3 movies all time, i'm sooooo there.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 07-02-12, 01:07 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds uh relaxing.
Old 07-02-12, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Luc Besson+more sci-fi= I'm there. 5th Element was tons of fun, and as long as he doesn't put Milla Jovovich as the female lead (which I doubt), this should be no different.

Now i would want to see it even more if Milla was in it.
Old 07-02-12, 03:20 PM   #8
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's been awhile since Besson has directed anything I've seen so I'm interested.
Old 07-02-12, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
The story focuses on the adventures of a spatio-temporal agent, and his redheaded female companion as they travel the universe through space and time.
Old 07-02-12, 05:08 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

I want.

As a movielover, Luc Besson was a big deal to me. And it was heartbreaking when he said that he wasn't going to direct movies anymore. I was on board with his production company's movies for awhile, but they just didn't grab me like his movies (Nikita, Leon, 5th Element, The Messenger) do.
Old 07-02-12, 06:04 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
It's been awhile since Besson has directed anything I've seen so I'm interested.
Actually...it hasn't.

I even made a thread about it too
Old 07-03-12, 12:09 AM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Selective passages there. The last movie by Besson he saw could have been La Femme Nikita for all we know.
Old 03-24-16, 01:55 PM   #13

Old 03-24-16, 02:09 PM   #14
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Deleving

Quote:
Besides DeHaan and Delevingne, Valerian also stars Clive Owen, Rihanna, Ethan Hawke, Rutger Hauer, Herbie Hancock, and John Goodman
What a cast. Out next summer.

“Sell it all. Dump it. Free yourself. You don't need to build another wing inside your tomb.” – E. Honda
Old 03-24-16, 02:27 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Deleving

Old 03-24-16, 02:36 PM   #16
DVD Talk Hero

It's cool that they're adapting this comic property.

Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 03-24-16, 02:43 PM   #17
DVD Talk God

i am hoping this is the spiritual successor to 5th element. man i love the hell out of that movie.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 03-24-16, 03:17 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Is this the long-awaited sequel to Valerie and Her Week of Wonders?
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 03-24-16, 03:38 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome. I hope he has creative freedom to make something as epic and unique as The Fifth Element.
Old 03-24-16, 04:45 PM   #20
Banned

I made this thread in 2012. It's almost hitting the 4 year mark.

Man, Solid Snake of 2012... You were just starting to enjoy the benefits of not being a fat fuck anymore.
Old 03-25-16, 01:23 PM   #21

Old 03-25-16, 01:59 PM   #22
Banned

You get me so hard, dex14.
Old 03-25-16, 10:45 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Point that thing somewhere else, man.
Gillian Flynn
Old 03-26-16, 12:53 PM   #24
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I made this thread in 2012. It's almost hitting the 4 year mark.

Man, Solid Snake of 2012... You were just starting to enjoy the benefits of not being a fat fuck anymore.
the thinner you get, the fatter this thread title got
Old 03-26-16, 01:02 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Sometimes all you need is a title to know a film will be a flop.