Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-15-17, 05:59 AM   #101
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Deleving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
It does not hold up well.
Wow, I strongly disagree. I think it's just as great today as it was 20 years ago.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 05-15-17, 07:32 AM   #102

Re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Deleving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Wow, I strongly disagree. I think it's just as great today as it was 20 years ago.
I agree.
Old 05-15-17, 08:04 AM   #103
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think The Fifth Element holds up very well. Story is interesting, visuals are striking, the bizarre is still bizarre, I still enjoy watching it every time it comes up in the rotation.

To me, Valerian looks like a cross between The Fifth Element and Jupiter Ascending as far as visuals go (apparently I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed JA). I know nothing about the story behind Valerian as I'm one of those Americans who have never even heard of it before this movie, but I'm interested in seeing it, if not in theaters, then on my 53" WS HDTV. I hope it does well in this country, I know it will where it's better known.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 05-15-17, 03:08 PM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

To be honest, I wasn't crazy about it the first time, but I thought I should give it another look. Well, I did and it was even sillier than I remembered.
Old 05-15-17, 03:51 PM   #105
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
To be honest, I wasn't crazy about it the first time, but I thought I should give it another look. Well, I did and it was even sillier than I remembered.
Well it wasnt animated

I think Fifth Element is SUPPOSED to be silly it is part of what makes it so good.
Old 05-15-17, 04:03 PM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I'm not sure why but Fathom Events tends to run that (single) Weekend/Weekday schedule a bunch. I've missed out on a lot of their events, not being physically able to make it to various cities during Rush Hour.

The Screening that I went to today was about half full. A few large families, which was a bit surprising.
I'm sure they run their showings when it's not peak time for new movies.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-15-17, 07:54 PM   #107
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
Well it wasnt animated

I think Fifth Element is SUPPOSED to be silly it is part of what makes it so good.
Yep, and part of the charm is the practical effects and costumes. Plus, Gary Oldman is fucking brilliant as always.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 05-16-17, 08:35 PM   #108
DVD Talk Legend

I got a sample of the GN as part of Free Comic Book Day and while it is definitely different and interesting, I just don't see it connecting with American audiences. The storytelling method is more like that of Heavy Metal magazine than a traditional comic, except more watered down. While I don't think they need to move the release date too far back to somewhere like February, I don't think a time frame like late October would hurt . Putting it out between Thor:Raganrok and Justice League would be suicidal.

I don't know if the studio distributing this in the U.S. also funded it or not. I do remember reading that Fifth Element was more or less a foreign film and Columbia did little more than pay for US advertising and film prints. While it only made a bout $70 million domestically, it apparently turned a good profit for the studio.
Old 05-18-17, 12:09 AM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I'm sure they run their showings when it's not peak time for new movies.
That makes sense.

I caught a second screening of the 4K Restoration of The Fifth Element this evening. The 7pm screening was almost full!

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Old 05-24-17, 09:00 AM   #110

Old 05-24-17, 09:05 AM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

...still looks fun to me
Old 05-24-17, 09:24 AM   #112
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
...still looks fun to me
Old 05-24-17, 10:23 AM   #113

Yeah, Im looking forward to this big time.
Old 05-24-17, 11:28 AM   #114
DVD Talk Hero

I think this in IMAX 3D is gonna look spectacular.
Old 05-24-17, 12:43 PM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I agree. Had a mild interest in it but after watching that last trailer, I think myself and my son will definitely be seeing this on the big screen. Looking forward to hopefully some good 3D!
Old 05-24-17, 12:51 PM   #116
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't wait for this but it is going to bomb harder than a King Arthur film directed by Guy Ritchie.
Old 05-24-17, 12:55 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I can't wait for this but it is going to bomb harder than a King Arthur film directed by Guy Ritchie.
I wouldn't be surprised if this does bomb, but for some reason I think this will do better than King Arthur.

I will see this in theatres for sure.
Old 05-24-17, 01:28 PM   #118
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So much hinges on the chemistry, between DeHaan and whatsherface.

All those beautiful, packed to the gills visuals won't mean squat if it's lacking as a basic buddy picture.

Don't know why people keep thinking it will outright bomb though. It looks fresher to me than just about all the domestic tent poles.
Old 05-24-17, 02:56 PM   #119
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Don't know why people keep thinking it will outright bomb though. It looks fresher to me than just about all the domestic tent poles.
While I hope that it's a hit (since I like a lot of Luc Besson's work) it's essentially a "B" flick with an "A" budget. It's not a knock on the film since I haven't seen it, but neither Dean Dehaan and Cara Delevigne are proven box office draws, it's based on somewhat obscure French comics and directed by someone who has never really had a huge hit in the US(Lucy being his biggest directorial success domestically/worldwide).

This would normally be right up my alley since I love sci-fi adventure, but I'm not sold on the leads and some of the visuals are a little over the top CG. It also doesn't help the the underwater scene with the giant monsters look straight out of Phantom Menace.
Spoiler:

PSN ID: ButrzRulz

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 05-24-17 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 06:18 PM   #120
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Same here. I think this is destined to be a modest hit at $150M+. Had zero interest in King Arthur. But am all ready to watch this.
Old 05-24-17, 08:04 PM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Good luck finding it in that format. Dunkirk opens the same day and is also booked for IMAX. I have a feeling that will draw more casual movie goer interest.
Old 05-25-17, 12:03 AM   #122
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Barely a word spoken by either lead....in the final trailer. I'm trying to remember Avatar's trailers....but you at least need to identify with the characters on some level. I can't recall atm pure 'spectacle' or visuals alone selling a film domestically. I'm certainly interested in the film...but I just don't see this doing much domestic business. Hopefully it'll be a big international hit.

Last edited by Artman; 05-25-17 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-25-17, 09:50 AM   #123
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely interested but this is one I will most likely wait and hope to grab on 3D bluray for home viewing. Should be visually mind blowing but not sold on the story at all.
Old 05-25-17, 11:03 AM   #124
DVD Talk Hero

Really? To me, this is one of those movies that must be seen on the big screen, getting enveloped by the visuals.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-25-17, 11:16 AM   #125
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
While I hope that it's a hit (since I like a lot of Luc Besson's work) it's essentially a "B" flick with an "A" budget. It's not a knock on the film since I haven't seen it, but neither Dean Dehaan and Cara Delevigne are proven box office draws, it's based on somewhat obscure French comics and directed by someone who has never really had a huge hit in the US(Lucy being his biggest directorial success domestically/worldwide).

This would normally be right up my alley since I love sci-fi adventure, but I'm not sold on the leads and some of the visuals are a little over the top CG. It also doesn't help the the underwater scene with the giant monsters look straight out of Phantom Menace.
Spoiler:

Yeah kinda agree, this movie looks destined to be lost in the shuffle. Most of the advertisement sells it like a carnival ride. There is little hint to the plot or the characters quest. Its mostly just look a the pretty lights.

I will watch it for sure but on home video

"Twitter, Instagram and Facebook has given everyone a voice.. and they're all collectively using that voice to whine about everything. - Goat3001 "