Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Twelve Years a Slave (Dir: McQueen) (Ejiofor, Fassbender, Pitt, and Cumberbatch)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Twelve Years a Slave (Dir: McQueen) (Ejiofor, Fassbender, Pitt, and Cumberbatch)

Old 06-02-12, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

via Variety:

Benedict Cumberbatch, star of PBS skein "Sherlock," is set to join the cast of New Regency's "12 Years a Slave."

Steve McQueen is directing the pic starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender and Brad Pitt.

Based on Solomon Northrup's 1853 nonfiction tome, New Regency pic stars Ejiofor as the author, a free man kidnapped and sold into slavery. Cumberbatch will play a plantation owner who buys Ejiofor's character and is won over by his engineering skills.

McQueen co-wrote the script with John Ridley ("Red Tails"). Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner will produce for Plan B.

In 1841, while working in Saratoga Springs, New York, Solomon met two white men named Merrill Brown and Abram Hamilton. The men overheard Solomon playing his violin and approached him claiming to work for a traveling circus. They proceeded to offer Northup a job providing musical entertainment for the circus at the rate of $1 a day and $3 for each performance. The two men informed him that they would need to travel to Washington D.C., where the circus currently was located but that they would then be traveling back north. Believing he would only be away from home for a short period of time, Solomon did not notify his family that he was leaving. Little did he know that this trip would mark the beginning of the twelve longest years of his life.

Even though Solomon was a free black man, Washington D.C. in 1841 was a place where slavery was legal. Free blacks traveling through areas where slavery was legal needed to furnish papers certifying their free status or face the possibility of being accused of being a runaway slave. Thus, before Solomon and his new companions left the state to begin their trip to Washington D.C., he secured papers declaring his status as a free black citizen of New York. Unfortunately, these papers would not be able to protect Solomon once he reached the nation’s capital.
Ejiofor? In a lead role? Fuck yes, that man is great stuff. Very VERY underrepresented as a lead actor. Love his work and just his..presence. Very good actor.

Also...Yay for Cumberbatch and Fassbender(!). Took me off guard seeing Pitt cast in this.

I'm fucking game for McQueen/Fassbender 3.
Old 06-02-12, 03:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Twelve Years a Slave (Dir: McQueen) (Ejiofor, Fassbender, Pitt, and Cumberbatch)

I'm in 12 ways from Sunday.
Old 06-02-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Twelve Years a Slave (Dir: McQueen) (Ejiofor, Fassbender, Pitt, and Cumberbatch)

everything sounds good except for the scripts co-writer John Ridley...Red Tails...
Old 06-02-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New African slave trend in Hollywood?
Old 06-02-12, 03:49 PM

I wonder if the name Toby will get hot!
Old 06-02-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't even read the OP. I just saw "Fassbender" and was sold.
Old 06-02-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Ridley is hit 'n miss. I enjoyed Three Kings, U-Turn, and Undercover Brother. I think McQueen will make it more his than Ridley since he's directing.
Old 06-02-12, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too KillerCannibal. And especially in for anything McQueen does, Hunger was good and I thought Shame was amazing.
Old 06-02-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve McQueen is getting to be just as cool as the other Steve McQueen.
Old 06-02-12, 09:03 PM
Banned

Black McQueen > White McQueen
Old 06-02-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I wonder if the name Toby will get hot!
...if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice.
Old 06-02-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
...if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice.

I used to love that show.

Originally Posted by sharkstank
Me too KillerCannibal. And especially in for anything McQueen does, Hunger was good and I thought Shame was amazing.
Does anyone know if Shame is on Netflix Instant Watch?

EDIT: Unfortunately it is not.
Old 06-02-12, 11:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I didn't even read the OP. I just saw "Fassbender" and was sold.
Haha, same here...but doubly sold with McQueen as well
Old 06-03-12, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
no.
Old 06-04-12, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Not sure if serious...
Old 06-04-12, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Not sure if serious...
Not sure if serious
Old 06-04-12, 10:40 AM
Banned

Old 06-04-12, 10:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That's quite a cast. I'm in.
Old 06-25-12, 12:06 PM
Banned

via deadline:

Michael Kenneth Williams has been added to the cast of Twelve Years A Slave. The actor joins Michael Fassbender, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Brad Pitt in the Steve McQueen-directed film. Raising Hope‘s Garret Dillahunt, Paul Dano and SNL’s Taran Killam are also in Twelve Years. Williams, best known for playing Chalky White on HBO’s Boardwalk Empire and Omar Little on The Wire, will play “Robert,” a mutinous slave in Twelve Years. The film is an adaptation of Solomon Northup’s 1853 book about a free black man who is drugged and dragged to the South to be sold into slavery. New Regency is backing the film. River Road and Plan B are producing. Twelve Years A Slave is filming in New Orleans. Williams is repped by The Collective and attorney Elsa Ramo.
Old 06-25-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't think the cast could get better, but it just did.
Old 06-25-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chalky White!
Old 06-25-12, 06:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Omar's Comin!!
Old 06-25-12, 07:05 PM
Banned

I still kind of wished Omar was Django. Though after seeing the trailer to Django...he may have been too strong for the character.
Old 06-26-12, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I really wish Omar was Django. But Alas he hasn't won an Oscar for a Ray Charles caricature. There's no way in my view that Foxx won out the role for any other reason than bankability.
Old 06-26-12, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm in 12 ways from Sunday.
Exactly!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.