Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hopkins' "Lecter" vs Ledger's "Joker" (Who's the Greatest Modern Movie Psycho?)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-01-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

They're both iconic. They're both Oscar winning roles. They're both unforgettable. So...which do you prefer and why?
Old 06-01-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hopkins' "Lecter" vs Ledger's "Joker" (Who's the Greatest Modern Movie Psycho?)

Obviously love both. But I prefer Ledger's Joker. Have seen The Dark Knight probably ten times and each time he blows me away more and more. While Lecter is certainly interesting character to me, the scenes in which Ledger portrays The Joker are far more intriguing to me.
Old 06-01-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Hopkins' "Lecter" vs Ledger's "Joker" (Who's the Greatest Modern Movie Psycho?)

Lecter was such a genius in his world. But I think he was kind of lucky and relied on weak victims who couldn't just shoot him in the face, or gouge his eyes out when they're being attacked.

Now that I think of it, Joker got lucky getting away in that school bus. But anyways, I think that he was a man with a solid plan and good ideas. I think that his actions would be a lot harder to counter.
Old 06-01-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

Shocked that there's no poll.

I love both as well. Hopkins' performance just resonates with me a bit more.
Old 06-01-12, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopkins. He did so much w/ so little. Though I did love Ledger's Mr. J.
Old 06-01-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really, no poll?

Easily Lecter.
Old 06-01-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably Lecter of the two, but I have to give an honorable mention to Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men.
Old 06-01-12, 09:53 PM
Banned

Ledger, easily.
Old 06-01-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopkins by far
Ledger's Joker is completely forgetable ... I prefer Cesar Romero
Old 06-01-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

I vote for Brian Cox' take on Lecter (misspelled Lector in Manhunter). He had and understated swarmy charm about him (like when he got Will Graham's address off the operator) that really shined in his two or three scenes.

Originally Posted by musick
Ledger's Joker is completely forgetable ... I prefer Cesar Romero
Although you're probably joking, I actually seriously agree.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-01-12 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ledger.

I actually prefer Levine's Buffalo Bill to Lecter.
Old 06-01-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Although you're probably joking, I actually seriously agree.
nope ... no "joking"
Old 06-01-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both performances are fun to watch with their mustache twirling scenery chewing, but for my money Kevin Spacey in Seven is so chillingly pitch perfect with his understated menace that he blows those other two guys off the screen.
Old 06-02-12, 12:02 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ledge just acted like a random crackhead. So Hopkins.

Probably Lecter of the two, but I have to give an honorable mention to Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men.
He's actually even more badass in the book believe it or not,
Old 06-02-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
Ledge just acted like a random crackhead. So Hopkins.
Actually, Ledger was doing a Tom Waits impersonation:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gCSc6E4yG9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-02-12, 12:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight, but Hopkins' performance as Lecter gives me chills. He is possibly the scariest film villain of all time. Or at least he was until Ridley Scott turned him into a cartoon.
Old 06-02-12, 01:26 AM
Suspended

I always thought Ledger's role was great but he really only won the Oscar cause he died. Hopkins was chilling and I loved how he had some redeeming qualities.
Old 06-02-12, 01:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
He is possibly the scariest film villain of all time. Or at least he was until Ridley Scott turned him into a cartoon.
Blame Harris for that, not Ridley.
Old 06-02-12, 01:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read Hannibal. It was in fact worse than the movie. I actually do find the movie interesting but as a sequel to Silence of the Lambs it is not impressive.
Old 06-02-12, 02:13 AM
Banned

I read Hannibal. It was in fact worse than the movie. I actually do find the movie interesting but as a sequel to Silence of the Lambs it is not impressive.
No arguments there The novel was basically him giving all the people, including major studio heads, who'd been pestering him to write a sequel for years a big fat middle-finger. He had to have known that there was no way his ending was gonna fly with people.
Old 06-02-12, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I love Ledger's Joker but Hopkins had more to work with, despite having less screen time.

I guess it's because Lecter in SOTL comes off as more three dimensional, showing glimpses of being vulnerable, offended ("why do you apply that high powered perception against yourself? Maybe you're afraid to.") while still being a remorseless monster.

The sequels to SOTL did make Lecter a cartoon character. And I never got the affinity for the Lecter in Manhunter.
Old 06-02-12, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember reading Hannibal before the movie was made and thinking, "This is absolutely unfilmable."

Anyway, I guess I'll go with Lecter. The impact may have lessened over time and multiple viewings, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a terrifying psycho.

I love both movies and performances.
Old 06-02-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
No arguments there The novel was basically him giving all the people, including major studio heads, who'd been pestering him to write a sequel for years a big fat middle-finger. He had to have known that there was no way his ending was gonna fly with people.
I think you're way off. I think "Hannibal" was Harris giving people exactly what they wanted. He recognized that people loved the Lecter character so he made him the hero. He let his hero get the girl. He not only ramped up the violence but he also attempted to justify it by introducing a bunch of cartoonish villains (faceless orphan-tear-drinking child molester, corrupt and inept police officer, Italian snuff film producers, the female lead's misogynist and obnoxious superior etc.) for the now-heroic Lecter to dispatch. He literally gave the character supernatural superpowers. Pigs and gypsies sense his evil and Harris literally describes Lecter as having the proportionate strength of an ant.

"Hannibal" is awful in both its literary and cinematic forms but I honestly think Harris was sincere in writing it. I think Lecter's phenomenal success changed his motivations which in turn obviously changed him as a writer but I don't doubt for one second when reading that garbage that Harris thought he was writing a story that would please his audience and make his mountain of money even bigger.

He knew people loved Lecter and Starling and wrote a sub-fanfiction-quality love letter to the two of them complete with a fairytale ending.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 06-02-12 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Wrote "fairytail." WTF?