Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

After Dark Films ACTION!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

After Dark Films ACTION!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
After Dark Films ACTION!

Pleasant surprise I ran into this past weekend, so excuse me if this has already been talked about. I saw trailers for several flicks that are now streaming via Amazon PRIME and will have limited releases:

Dragon Eyes (Van Damme and Peter Weller)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qhQxTaICiQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

El Gringo (Scott Adkins)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nrMv7462vQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Transit (Jim Caviezel)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PCHOmqpPpMM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dragon Eyes has some badass action. John Hyams (Universal Soldier Regeneration) directs and there is some cool shit in there. It's gonna be a busy week, yo!
Old 05-31-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: After Dark Films ACTION!

Just a heads up that there are two more:

Stash House (Lundgren)
The Philly Kid

So a total of 5 After Dark Action films.

I have not seen any of the 5, but I am a huge JCVD and Adkins fan so I will start with those two first.

I am not an expert on DTV action movies, but I have pretty much seen them all. The best I have seen by a mile are: Unisol Regen, Blood and Bone, and Undisputed III Redemption.
Old 05-31-12, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Just a heads up that there are two more:

Stash House (Lundgren)
The Philly Kid

So a total of 5 After Dark Action films.

I have not seen any of the 5, but I am a huge JCVD and Adkins fan so I will start with those two first.

I am not an expert on DTV action movies, but I have pretty much seen them all. The best I have seen by a mile are: Unisol Regen, Blood and Bone, and Undisputed III Redemption.

Yes, I didn't include Stash House due to it looking the worse of the bunch and didn't even know about Philly Kid.

Unisol Regen is amazing and the Pitbull makes an appearance in Dragon Eyes, too. I'll look up Blood and Bone. LOVE Undisputed III and Undisputed II, which was the film I discovered Scott Adkins in.

Other DTV flicks (non after dark) that rock are Assassination Games (Van Damme & Scott Adkins) and The Tournament.

The Tournament

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LueEQVSwtZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Assassination Games

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1-y3trCq6v8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-31-12, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After looking at some reviews...you are correct in that Stash House does appear to be the worst of the bunch.

I am going to start with El Gringo because of Adkins man crush.

The Tournament was just a little too goofy for me but still watchable.

I liked Assassination Games...but it is in the same group of other JCVD movies like In Hell, Wake of Death, Until Death, and Shepard. They are all very watchable but not classics.

If you love the Undisputed flicks, you will love Blood and Bone. It is more similar to the 3rd Undisputed than the 2nd...which loses points with the goofy old guy, Ben Cross character, and just too much talking.
Old 05-31-12, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, UniSol Regen was fucking badass. The new one looks fucking crazy. Like..I can't even comprehend wtf exactly will go in in there w/ those set pics we saw. Freak shit.
Old 05-31-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was all excited.... then I realized that while, yes, these are available on Amazon Instant Streaming, they are not part of Prime. Gotta pay.... I'll watch the previews and see if any look worth the $6.
Old 05-31-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, I like Adkin's American accent much better. Don't know why really...
Old 05-31-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I was all excited.... then I realized that while, yes, these are available on Amazon Instant Streaming, they are not part of Prime. Gotta pay.... I'll watch the previews and see if any look worth the $6.
Yeah, they're not free. $4.99 for the SD versions or $5.99 for the HD feeds. I will probably do the top 3 I posted about this weekend since I won't be seeing anything in theaters until next week. 3 rental flicks for $18 is a pretty damn good deal and they're all in 5.1.
Old 06-02-12, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, I'm 40 minutes into it, but Dragon Eyes is the bomb, yo! \m/\m/

EDIT: I just finished it and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! It's got the same sepia toned color palette that Assassination Games had, which is cool, and it's a western disguised as a martial arts urban story.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-02-12 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-02-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Ok, I'm 40 minutes into it, but Dragon Eyes is the bomb, yo! \m/\m/

EDIT: I just finished it and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! It's got the same sepia toned color palette that Assassination Games had, which is cool, and it's a western disguised as a martial arts urban story.
Hmmm. May check it out.
Old 06-02-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I will probably watch El Gringo tonight or tomorrow before wrapping it up with Transit later in the week.
Old 06-02-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have zero clue who this Adkins is. Can someone tell me what he's done that I should seek out?
Old 06-02-12, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I have zero clue who this Adkins is. Can someone tell me what he's done that I should seek out?
Have you not hung around The Expendables thread?

He's a martial artist who's actually pretty damn good w/ his fight scenes. Kind of a breath of fresh air in a way. Really talented. He's not reinventing action or anything like that. But he's damn talented and provides grade A talent in his action which...is so goddamn rare nowadays.

You may remember him as Deadpool in Wolverine...the blades in the arms, no mouth, and eye beams guy. Aside from the quality of the film..he himself was pretty good w/ his action. He's also JCVD's guy in EX2.

I FIRST heard of him from this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cmaf8niOJSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The movie has a very generic plot but it's very entertaining for the fights alone..also...Adkins just looks awesome.

pretty good athleticism in this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oU1DaMeNZBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Like I mentioned, he's been in ok movies but HE himself is grade A action talent. He's next to appear in EX2 and Universal Solider 4. Have you seen UniSol Regen (aka UniSol 3)? It's pretty fucking badass..yes...I'm serious, forget about UniSol 2...UniSol 3 has great fucking action and it's a lot of fun.

Talking about Adkins..for some reason I think it'd be fun to get an Adkins vs. Yen fight going on.
Old 06-02-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
You're an Adkins virgin, so start slow:

Undisputed 2

Undisputed 3

Ignore the weird dissolves and cutaways of this clip as it was edited to not include the original edits.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L4wPlgRyfKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-02-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'll check Netflix to see if they've got any of his stuff streaming. I'm always game for new, GOOD action.
Old 06-02-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The Tournament looks pretty awesome.
Old 06-04-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are all the After Dark films $5.99 to watch? I thought we got free movies with Amazon Prime?
Old 06-04-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Not every movie is free, just the Prime ones. http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sa_menu_...ode=2676882011

The Undisputed movies were all terrible, but Adkins is pretty good at what he does.
Old 06-04-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The Tournament looks pretty awesome.
I liked it quite a bit actually.
Old 06-04-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
Are all the After Dark films $5.99 to watch? I thought we got free movies with Amazon Prime?
They are $4.99 on itunes.

I watched Dragon Eyes and El Gringo and did not care for either.
Old 06-04-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not every movie is free, just the Prime ones. http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sa_menu_...ode=2676882011

The Undisputed movies were all terrible, but Adkins is pretty good at what he does.
Undisputed 3 is well received and surprised it would be labeled terrible.