Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Just got back, and I enjoyed it. Glad I saw it at a faux-imax screen, because that really does help with the enormity of the ships. I also didn't mind the 3d. I wouldn't have paid to see it in 3d if that wasn't the only screening that would work for my schedule, so I bit the bullet, and I wasn't let down. Usually the 3d doesn't look good to me when a movie is chaotic (the Spidey trailer in 3d looked awful to me), but because Prometheus is a slower paced movie, I was able to take it all in.

I must say that I didn't really care for the Engineers. I think they looked king of silly, and I don't like how this really alien franchise has become very earth-centric with the retcons of this movie. Maybe they would have been fine, if not for the other creatures in this series, the Aliens proper, being such original and iconic beasts. The Engineers were just super-sized versions of Powder. That took all of the tension out of the confrontations had with it, because of how silly it looked.

It makes me less interested in a potential sequel on the Engineers home-planet, if it deals more with that race, and their planet isn't overun by face-huggers.

Also, who's idea was it to make Idris Elba talk in a southern accent? That shit was so wrong, on so many levels.

That stuff aside, it was a pretty looking movie, that I really enjoyed losing myself in for a couple of hours. It definitely has some problems, but none of them bothered me while watching. There are a lot of questions swirling around in my head, especially about the ending, that I'm sure will be discussed into the ground by nerds of this franchise like myself.

I do have one question, though, about the ending.

Spoiler:
At first I thought the hero Engineer in this movie was the dead Engineer we saw in Alien. But obviously, they aren't the same, so I'm at a loss as to what that thing was that Shaw gave birth to. At first, I was wondering if we're supposed to think that thing mixed with her DNA, and then mixed with the Engineer, to make the very first Alien, but that doesn't make any sense either. I just don't know what I'm supposed to think that thing was.

Spoiler:
Remember that the Engineers were colonists. Many Engineers and many ships all over the galaxies. This planet was LV 242 and the planet where the Space Jockey is entombed in Alien is LV 429.
Old 06-08-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Tight and right.
They should put that on women's t-shirts...only available in small, of course.
Old 06-08-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Spoiler:
Remember that the Engineers were colonists. Many Engineers and many ships all over the galaxies. This planet was LV 242 and the planet where the Space Jockey is entombed in Alien is LV 429.
Of course. I guess I was just being a bit dense there. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-08-12, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Now that more people have seen it, I'm going to get into some detail about what I thought were problems (spoilered for length and content and so people sick of hearing me whining don't have to look at it):

Spoiler:
Scene 1. Directed panspermia. Does this create all life on Earth or only human life? If it's the former, how could the Engineers have accounted for the mass extinction events that go on through Earth's history? Did they cause those events? Why bother? If it's the latter, how could we be so closely related to the great apes?

Shaw and Holloway are boring and obnoxious, respectively. The basic premise is exactly the same as AvP.

Prometheus has a crew of 17. That's too many people for a movie like this. Alien had 7 characters and you cared about all of them. Prometheus has 17+ and you care about maybe two of them.

Case in point, crew wakes up, one guy introduces himself to another as "the biologist." He has a name, but we won't remember it. The other guy angrily tells him to sod off. Great character development, guys.

Vickers is really antagonistic to Shaw and Holloway. I'm sure this will be important later, right? Not really.

The team goes in and Holloway takes off his helmet. The air is like earth's in the structure, but we have no clue if there are, oh I don't know, airborne viruses? Holloway is a jackass and so is everyone else for following his lead.

Geologist guy freaks out and starts shouting about big dead bodies. Why? Because it feels dramatic. It's not. It's melodramatic and stupid.

Holloway manages to unleash what look like earthworms. Why would earthworms be on the soles of the boots of a suit designed for space travel? I highly doubt people were running around in those boots outside on earth soil before putting them on the ship.

Back on the ship, we see the Engineer's head. Shaw, like any good scientist, runs a rigorous set of tests and is careful to preserve the specimen. Oh no wait she jams a needle in its neck and runs an electric current through it. Really?

The biologist and the geologist get lost even though they have arm bands with readouts of the map. Uhm.

Vickers and Elba sleep together. I'm sure this will be important later. Oh wait, it's not.

David purposefully infects Holloway for seemingly no reason. Maybe he does it because Holloway is an unrepentant jackass, in which case, fine with me. But there's no other good explanation for it.

Shaw casually declares she can't have kids. But she has her faith! This is not character development, it's character telegraphing.

Oh, don't get me started on the Engineer's DNA being the same as ours. Similar to ours? That I would buy. Identical to ours? Fuck you, writers. Do you see any humans that are 9 feet tall, white as bone, with black eyes and massive strength? No, I didn't think so.

Biologist and geologist get scared of a pile of dead bodies and run back to the room that made them so scared the first time that they ran away and got lost. Mutated earthworm shows up and the biologist, now encountering alien life for the first time, treats it like a bunny rabbit. I think any biologist worth his salt would know not to touch strange lifeforms and observe them from a reasonable distance. But no, let's touch the damn thing and SURPRISE it kills them.

Holloway sees he's sick, says nothing, goes out with the expedition anyway. What a douchebag.

They get back to the structure only to have to leave immediately because Holloway is sick. Who structured this plot?

The white snake thing leaps out of the biologist's mouth. I'm sure this will be important later. Oh wait it's not.

David appears to have expected Shaw to be pregnant with an alien. How could he have foresee Holloway would sleep with her? Why is he interested in a mutant hybrid alien baby? Does this sound like Alien: Resurrection to anyone else?

The CGI in the abortion sequence is awful. The baby looks like a squid. Gone are the elegant creature designs of Giger.

Zombie geologist shows up and kills people. Why? Why not? Does this advance the plot? No. Does it add character development? No. The geologist looks like a reject from The Walking Dead TV series. Who thought this shit up?

Weyland is woken up, has meaningful conversation. I'm sure this will be important later. Oh wait it's not.

Vickers calls him "father" pointedly. Is she a robot? I guess we'll find out later (no we won't).

They wake up the engineer, finally an answer to our questions! Nope, Engineer goes "Hulk Smash" over everyone for no reason except that the writers couldn't think of an answer to anything.

Let's make a big deal of Vickers gearing up to escape just in time. I'm sure she'll play a major role in the last ten minutes. Nope, she's crushed by a spaceship in one of the dumbest scenes I've seen in a film in a long time. A large, but thin, object is crashing toward her. She keeps running right in the path of the ship. Why not make a 90 degree turn and run away from it that way? Shaw manages to ROLL away from it while Vickers can't make it out alive. Who was Vickers? Was she a robot? Turns out it doesn't matter because fuck you that's why.

Baby hybrid becomes big ass hybrid. Shaw lets White Hulk and Lotus Flower duke it out in a scene with awful CGI. The full grown hybrid is uglier and messier than the baby. Where are Giger's designs when you need them?

What appears to be a fully grown Proto-Xenomorph bursts out of the engineer. The design is a cruel mockery of Giger's original. The CGI is again pretty bad. Is this film suggesting that the Xenomorphs, described in the original film by Ash as the perfect killing machines, were born by accident because of the events of this film? Not only that, but they somehow get from this moon to the next moon over? Was there no one on staff asking these questions?

Every monster is shown in full light with no hidden elements. The mystery is gone. Take that, Alien!

That's just off the top of my head but as you can see my list of complaints is long and the more I think about it the more problems I find.

I disagree with some of your points and agree with others. I love that the movie left you with more questions than answers, especially pertaining to David's true motives in the whole thing. Did you fault Alien for over 30 years for not explaining what the Derelict was? Why it was parked? How the eggs got in there? How the Jockey got infected? What happened to the rest of the crew? What happened to Brett and Dallas' bodies? Why the xeno didn't kill Ripley on the Narcissus and instead seems to be trying to take a nap? Why it would be necessary to bring a cat on this trip? What the deal was with the bonus situation?

I disagree completely about the CGI. I thought it was fantastic throughout including
Spoiler:
the proto-xeno
"The baby looks like a squid. Gone are the elegant creature designs of Giger." That's a design issue, not a CGI issue.

I agree with you about many of the characters. These had to be some of the stupidest scientists I've seen in a science-fiction film in recent years. And most of the ones that weren't were just poorly developed and useless. That Asian guy who just stood around with a scrunched-up constipated look on his face for two hours. Why? I knew something was very wrong when in the middle of the movie I realized that I felt more invested in some of the crew members of the Betty in Alien Resurrection, like Elgyn and Johnner, than I did for most of the dumbasses in this movie. I can overlook many misgivings I may have with a movie if other aspects are working but in this case that is a flaw impossible to ignore.

Last edited by WeylandYutani; 06-08-12 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 03:34 PM
Banned

Oh, and just wanted to say that it would've been a hell of a lot better had they just cast Max von Sydow as Weyland instead of caking on the makeup on poor Pearce.
Old 06-08-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm hoping for a Ridley Scott Unrated or Director's Cut of the film on Blu-ray.
Spoiler:
They should restore the TED conference where a young Guy Pearce delivers his speech.

Spoiler:
They should also restore the scene that was in the trailer that didn't make it in the final version where Noomi clasps here hands in prayer. In the theatrical version it cuts away. That was a whole "questioning faith" type of scene. I wonder if they actually filmed an Theron Elba love scene as it was hinted that they screwed.
Old 06-08-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
Oh, and just wanted to say that it would've been a hell of a lot better had they just cast Max von Sydow as Weyland instead of caking on the makeup on poor Pearce.
I agree with this 1000 percent. I was sure he was going to be de-aged or something, to explain putting an actor in old people makeup...but nope. That really stood out to me as a weird choice, especially when we NEVER see a young Pearce in the movie, and he is instead reserved for the online viral stuff. A naturally older actor would have been a much much better choice.
Old 06-08-12, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright. saw it today after work. I really enjoyed it. Hated the essentially unknown and stereotypical characters that went in.

I for the most part agree w/ everything Supermallet said..but..it's actually well directed but w/ a flawed script. I think he may overlooked some things that he didn't get because he was annoyed but..yes..he's right. Unlike him though...I did enjoy it. And my only issue w/ iffy cgi was the c section. It wasn't on par but it's pretty "average" w/ what can be done w/ the human body concept. Seems like we can never get the insides that right. I'll get back to you guys soon to counterpoint what Supermallet may have missed but yes..he's about 90% at least right...maybe more depending if I look at it again.

I await Prometheus 2 and very much hope it actually dwells into thematic intentions it supposedly had.

Also for those of you who thought this is 5 star worthy? Really? It's flawed as fuck w/ that script. No way it's 5 stars. If it wasn't for Ridley it would've been worse storywise.
Old 06-08-12, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm hoping for a Ridley Scott Unrated or Director's Cut of the film on Blu-ray.
Spoiler:
They should restore the TED conference where a young Guy Pearce delivers his speech.

Spoiler:
They should also restore the scene that was in the trailer that didn't make it in the final version where Noomi clasps here hands in prayer. In the theatrical version it cuts away. That was a whole "questioning faith" type of scene. I wonder if they actually filmed an Theron Elba love scene as it was hinted that they screwed.

Spoiler:
I hope he restores the scene where Shaw is kind enough to mention to Weyland, Janek, etc. that THERE'S A GIANT FUCKING SQUID THAT SHE JUST GAVE BIRTH TO THAT IS CURRENTLY CHILLING ON THE SHIP JUST TWO CORRIDORS BACK.

Last edited by WeylandYutani; 06-08-12 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Just saw this. Didn't love it. Wish they'd gone full retard and just done a proper Alien prequel. I don't need a sequel to this.
Old 06-08-12, 06:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love that the movie left you with more questions than answers, especially pertaining to David's true motives in the whole thing. Did you fault Alien for over 30 years for not explaining what the Derelict was? Why it was parked? How the eggs got in there? How the Jockey got infected? What happened to the rest of the crew? What happened to Brett and Dallas' bodies? Why the xeno didn't kill Ripley on the Narcissus and instead seems to be trying to take a nap? Why it would be necessary to bring a cat on this trip? What the deal was with the bonus situation?
David's iffy motivations are the one example of intended ambiguity that I can accept. The rest of the intentionally ambiguous stuff leaves not just the questions that the filmmakers intended, but questions they didn't intend, questions of logic and reason that shouldn't be part of the equation. This isn't the same thing as Alien. We don't know who the Space Jockeys are in that film, we don't know how the derelict ship got there, we don't know what the Alien did with the bodies, but none of those things make me question the basic motivations of character and plot. The characters in Alien act exactly as I would expect people in that situation to act. Not so with Prometheus.

Ambiguity can be a very good thing. Not thinking through your own script? Not so much.

I disagree completely about the CGI. I thought it was fantastic throughout including
Spoiler:
the proto-xeno
"The baby looks like a squid. Gone are the elegant creature designs of Giger." That's a design issue, not a CGI issue.
I should have made those two separate complaints. The CGI on Shaw's abdomen looks bad. The creature, incidentally, is also poorly designed and not scary.

I agree with you about many of the characters. These had to be some of the stupidest scientists I've seen in a science-fiction film in recent years. And most of the ones that weren't were just poorly developed and useless. That Asian guy who just stood around with a scrunched-up constipated look on his face for two hours. Why? I knew something was very wrong when in the middle of the movie I realized that I felt more invested in some of the crew members of the Betty in Alien Resurrection, like Elgyn and Johnner, than I did for most of the dumbasses in this movie. I can overlook many misgivings I may have with a movie if other aspects are working but in this case that is a flaw impossible to ignore.
This is the stuff I'm talking about. I could get on board with some of the other choices in the film if the characters didn't act like fucking idiots the whole way through. I understand, you're in a completely unique situation, but at the same time these people are meant to be trained scientists and presumably at the top of their fields because you know Weyland could afford to hire the best. The way they act is just ridiculous.
Old 06-08-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Because, remember, they're there for the MONEY!!!!
Old 06-08-12, 06:38 PM
Banned

David, aside from the production design, is the only thing where I could say it was top notch. Fassbender strikes again. I really liked David. I'd personally would put in Vickers, maybe 4 more crew members, Shaw, David, Janek, and...Weyland (cuz if it had a better script...that could've turned out really well).

Also...who the fuck was in the terrain vehicle when they ran out? Shaw, Holloway, Ford, and Colloway were on the small mobile bikes. I guess David was in there w/ some crew? Had way too many nobodies in there for sure. I seriously thought it was the doomed two but then..they weren't there either. A lot of shit was overlooked. How the hell did Scott not notice that stuff?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-08-12 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 06:39 PM
Banned by request

I liked Janek because I liked Elba. There was nothing inherent in his character that made him interesting.

But I will reiterate how much I loved Fassbender in this film. His performance is, pardon the pun, electric.
Old 06-08-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I really enjoyed this. Saw it in 3D and that probably added to it. The other thing is that I took my son as well; he is 15 and has seen the Alien franchise. However he did not know that this movie was related to Alien and about shit when the connections started showing up. That was a real treat for me to observe and probably helped my overall 4 star rating. But agree a DC on blu better be in order.
Old 06-08-12, 06:47 PM
Banned

Janek as a character who had so little was a character that I understood who he was as a man and I respected that (aside from a few iffy elements via script).

David was a character who as fascinating as he was already...could've been a major big deal in this film. he's still a player but...he could've been of greater importance to the plot.
Old 06-08-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

After seeing it a second time in IMAX, I think it was actually a bit better than I initially thought. The key is to quit trying to connect it to Alien and just look at it as a stand alone sci-fi in the Alien universe, as it was intended. Granted, there's still some fundamental flaws . For instance:

Spoiler:
Why would there be no other Engineers/Space Jockeys on the other ship they used to leave? Just a lucky pick?
Old 06-08-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Saw it tonight. I liked some aspects but didn't like others as much. David was a highlight as most people in this thread seem to agree. I thought the movie was setting up Vickers to be a bigger part than she was but there didn't really seem to be any big payoff to her character. I also thought there was a lot of characters that didn't feel entirely necessary. They should have just gone with a bit smaller crew in my opinion and fleshed out the characters a bit better. I didn't mind it overall but I think it could be a bit better with a director's cut eventually.
Old 06-08-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
After seeing it a second time in IMAX, I think it was actually a bit better than I initially thought. The key is to quit trying to connect it to Alien and just look at it as a stand alone sci-fi in the Alien universe, as it was intended. Granted, there's still some fundamental flaws . For instance:

Spoiler:
Why would there be no other Engineers/Space Jockeys on the other ship they used to leave? Just a lucky pick?

Spoiler:
Perhaps. They're probably dead or in stasis. David knows the language, so he would have been able to guide Shaw along the way. The question is: what will happen to Shaw and David?
Old 06-08-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I also am confused as to what point Vickers served. She wasn't really a villain, but she didn't really drive the action either. She was just there to watch things.
Spoiler:
Then get crushed.
Old 06-08-12, 08:23 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

Spoiler:
If they didn't want us to connect it to Alien they shouldn't have made it about the Space Jockeys and then included that ending scene.

Furthermore even if I disconnected it from Alien completely my complaints would still stand in their entirety.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-08-12 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The movie was flawed but I still enjoyed my time in the theater. Yes, some of the characters acted stupid but don't they always in movies like this? Even in the original, that dude had an alien attached to his face and the crew didn't immediately throw him out, I don't care if you are my best friend, you're gone. You need characters to do stupid things and die to advance the carnage.

I didn't mind the giant squid, my jaw dropped once I realized it was a huge face-hugger.

On a side note, it cost me $18.50 to see this in faux Imax 3D and it wasn't really worth it. This was my first 3D movie in a year, I don't enjoy it but since this was actually filmed in 3D I decided to give it another chance. The glasses remove me from the movie going experience, I constantly think of the barrier between me and the screen, and add very little. I think i'm done with this trend, it just isn't worth it.
Old 06-08-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

PROMETHEUS is a miserable pile of excrement disguised as cinema. Ridley Scott has solidified his decade long slide into irrelevance and incompetence, crafting a pointless sequel penned from a marginal at best writer. The visuals are thoroughly generic and devoid of any sense of wonder. The film is only saved from being completely worthless by a jaw-dropping performance from Michael Fassbender that has no business existing within 1000 miles of this production.

D+ (1.5/5)
Old 06-08-12, 09:00 PM
Banned

Jesus. That seems like you were hurt by your own expectations.
Old 06-08-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Jesus. That seems like you were hurt by your own expectations.
Nope, I fully went in expecting mediocre crap. If it met my expectations, I would have been more positive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.