Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Men in Black 3 -- (2012, D: Sonnenfeld, S: Smith, Jones, Brolin) -- Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of MIB 3?
It was awesome
24.07%
It was good, not great
50.00%
It was just alright
18.52%
Hated it. Thought it sucked
0%
Not a fan of the series
7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Men in Black 3 -- (2012, D: Sonnenfeld, S: Smith, Jones, Brolin) -- Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Re: Men in Black 3 -- (2012, D: Sonnenfeld, S: Smith, Jones, Brolin) -- Reviews Threa

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm guessing because the source material was a classic TV Western show and the final product being some over the top steam punk sci-fi was a turnoff. I didn't think it was horrible, but it wasn't great either.
That's it, in a nutshell. It's not a bad movie. It's pretty decent. It's just a terrible adaptation of the source material which worked on the premise of "James Bond on horseback." ALthough, to be fair, sci-fi and steampunk elements were also part of the show.

The thing is that the show took those elements seriously whereas the movie tried to make it all big and goofy (not that there wasn't plenty of comedy in the show as well).

Per Wikipedia:

Similar to the series it was based on, the film features a large amount of gadgetry. The film serves as a parody, however, as the gadgetry is more highly advanced, implausible steampunk technology and bizarre mechanical inventions, including innumerable inventions of the mechanological geniuses Artemus Gordon and Dr. Loveless, such as nitroglycerine-powered penny-farthing bicycles, spring-loaded notebooks, bulletproof chainmail, flying machines, steam tanks, and Loveless's giant mechanical spider.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-26-12 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-26-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Men in Black 3 -- (2012, D: Sonnenfeld, S: Smith, Jones, Brolin) -- Reviews Threa

Wow. I was going to post almost the exact same reply. WWW (TV) did treat even the fantastic elements seriously. Yes, it was one of the first examples of steampunk (long before that name even existed), but they made even those elements believable, for the most part.

The other difference i see is that the MIB franchise is given a certain amount of over the top license, given its "hook" of having extraterrestrials of all different shapes and sizes living among us, but masquerading as humans. WWW had no such license.
Old 05-27-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed it. I agree that Brolin nailed Tommy Lee. I also found myself thinking that I was just just watching a younger version of Tommy Lee in pretty much all of the flashback scenes.

I thought Boris as the villain was extremely weak. Both villains in the prior 2 movies were much better.

Even though it didn't really affect my enjoyment of the movie, I found it odd that they pretty much completely ignored the mythology of the first 2 movies.

I like pretty much everything Will Smith has ever done so maybe that influenced my opinion somewhat but I give it a solid B+. Good movie...not great but definitely good enough to keep you entertained for 2 hours.
Old 05-27-12, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I thought Boris as the villain was extremely weak. Both villains in the prior 2 movies were much better.
Thinking back, I couldn't give you more than two details about the villains in the past films. (Was the villain in the second film an ethnic woman? Or was that a sidekick? That's all I can recall.)
Old 05-27-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The villain in #1 was memorable because he was a giant roach that wore a man skin suit. The second villain was anorexic.
Old 05-27-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Thinking back, I couldn't give you more than two details about the villains in the past films. (Was the villain in the second film an ethnic woman? Or was that a sidekick? That's all I can recall.)
The second villain was Lara Flynn Boyle. I think she was a shapeshifter or something. Johnny Knoxville was her idiot sidekick. Not that she was anything that special but I just thought Boris was pretty lame.
Old 05-27-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Men in Black 3 is a movie made by 8-year olds, for 8-year olds. If you go in with that kind of mindset, it can be fun. It's a silly cartoon, nothing makes sense, and occasionally the jokes are funny.
Even thought it's PG13, is it appropriate for an 8 year old? more accurately, a 9.5 year old? He's seen Avengers and the Harry Potter films. It seems to be a little more graphically violent than either of those.

Is the 3D worth it? Does it detract?

I only saw the first one, and it did seem short. When it was over, i was surprised, it didn't seem like there was much movie there.
Old 05-27-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Even thought it's PG13, is it appropriate for an 8 year old? more accurately, a 9.5 year old? He's seen Avengers and the Harry Potter films. It seems to be a little more graphically violent than either of those.

Is the 3D worth it? Does it detract?

I only saw the first one, and it did seem short. When it was over, i was surprised, it didn't seem like there was much movie there.
A few aliens get blown to bits. But Boris does kill several people with sharp objects to the head. That may be a little unsettling for young kids.

I thought the 3D was pretty good. It is a conversion and I thought it looked better than Thor.
Old 05-27-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

I really liked MIB3. A lot.

I was pleasantly surprised - I expected a good movie (better than the 2nd, but not as good as the first), but what I got was a very good movie that genuinely rivals the first.

It's a fun movie. It's entertaining, it's got some great visuals, a good bad guy, a fantastic performance from Brolin, and it never lets up. The one thing I wasn't prepared for is just how sentimental the movie gets. And not in a cheesy way, either. For a movie that didn't have a finished shooting script when they actually started filming this one turned out remarkably well.

It's not high art, nor does it aspire to be. It's just a good, fun summer movie. If you're on the fence I definitely recommend giving it a chance.
Old 05-27-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I thought it was fun, but forgettable. Josh Brolin nailed his part, but I really thought the bad guy was pretty weak - so I didn't care so much about the plot as I did the chemistry between Smith/Brolin and Smith/Jones. I figured out the twist/emotional ending before Smith even travel backed in time (they hinted at it a little TOO much!), so when it came I wasn't as suprised or moved as I probably should have been.

While much, much better than Part II, it does still lack the magic of the original, but considering the 10 year lag, they did a pretty good job. I give it a B-minus.
Old 05-28-12, 05:40 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Every time I saw Boris, I couldn't get an image of Randy Macho Man Savage out of my head. I kept waiting for Boris to say "Snap into a Slim Jim"
Old 05-28-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

OK I did see it today. The 3d was pretty consistent throughout, not a lot of real "IN YOUR FACE" moments till the jump and the end, but it was 3d enough throughout to flesh out the environment. I didn't see the end coming but I wasn't really thinking about it. Though my kid was not the only kid in there, there were definitely moments that went over the kids heads, but luckily none were really essential (Warhol, other aliens). There was a nod to the racial environment of the time but not enough to really change the tone of the movie.

I liked the bad guy, but it did seem like there is potentially a movie in that backstory as well (note, I didn't see M2B or MIB2 or whatever it's called).

The spikes were probably the worst part for kids, but my kid weathered it fine.
It was fun. It wasn't hilariously funny, but it was fun. I always want to spend more time with the crazy alien creations, though.
Old 05-29-12, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Really, really enjoyed it. Of course, I never thought part 2 was that bad either. Just a quick and entertaining movie, with some humorous moments like the previous MIB movies only with some more heart at the end. The best parts of these movies have always been the banter between Smith and Jones, and it was great to see Brolin pick that right up so effortlessly. All three were just a joy to watch. I agree with those that felt that villain wasn't anything special though, and him being fairly uninteresting is the only knock I have on the movie. Well, that and the lack of Frank the Pug actually being in the movie outside of a picture.
Old 05-29-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones return for the 3rd installment of the Men in Black franchise. They bring along Josh Brolin, who plays the younger K character when J has to go back in time to save older K. Brolin does a spot-on K impersonation in his younger years.

The film isn't as busy as the first one was, and I didn't much like the 2nd one, and it has a decent storyline, but the villain is too one-note and un-interesting. It did feel like Will Smith was over-acting at times, maybe that's the J character, but it's been a while since I saw either of 2 MIB films, so maybe I'm just not as forgiving of his portrayal.

And if this was the last MIB film, it managed to tie up most of the loose ends.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 05-29-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never saw part 2, but I thoroughly loved this one. I didn't go into it expecting The Godfather, and what I got was much better than expected- a summer tentpole sequel that has geniune comedy, visceral thrills, well-done 3D, and a great story that was actually pretty touching.

Tommy Lee Jones, sadly, is really starting to look rough around the edges and I wonder if his reduced role in this outing is due to health/age issues. He gave a fine performance but there was something subdued in his eyes that make me feel this may be his last or one of his last films. Great actor. I hope I'm wrong and that he's doing just fine.

Josh Brolin was fantastic and I really have to admit to finding myself hoping that if there's a 4, there will be some excuse made for Brolin's K to somehow be zapped forward and stuck in the future so he and Will Smith become the partnership for whatever's left of the franchise.

What happened to the women? Didn't see part 2, but I remember Linda Fiorentino having a prominent role in part 1. Emma Thompson was great as a boss, but how about a sexy Woman in Black to hit the field with J and K and kick some alien ass?
Old 05-29-12, 08:38 PM

Linda Fiorentino's character is featured in the Men in Black cartoon series which I enjoyed. It was similar to The Real Ghostbusters but instead of chasing ghost they chased aliens.

In Men in Black 2, it is explained by:

Spoiler:
That Linda Fiorentino's character didn't liked the job and wanted to go back to civilian life and so she was zapped to forget about the agency. This is explain in a sentence or 2 by J.
If I remember correctly.

In real life though, rumor has it that Linda Fiorentino was hard to work with in Men In Black, so she was not hired again.
Old 05-29-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I think I remember that being the general consensus of the making of Dogma, as well.
Old 05-29-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tronmaster
In real life, Linda Fiorentino is hard to work with in.
Fixed.
Old 05-30-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Saw the finished film after seeing a rough cut back in November.

Had they shown Earth (or at least Manhattan) being destroyed by the Boglodites when J has to make his time jump, maybe Boris the Animal wouldn't feel like a lame villain and would have given more weight to what he originally set out to do and the importance of the Arcnet.
Old 05-30-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I've also always heard Linda Fiorentino is a pain in the ass to work with.
Old 12-01-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught this on demand last night with my chick. We both had a lot of fun watching it.

The writing was incredibly sloppy, however, with all the dots being connected so easily it really was like a child wrote it. Smith really seemed like he was on autopilot, and it's no wonder with a half-baked script in his hand.

Loved Clement as (just) Boris. I like my villains totally menacing, which he certainly was. Great design work, too.

Speaking of which, it's a shame so many of Baker's creations are whizzed past. I kept wanting to slow-mo every scene in HQ just to marvel at his wizardry.

Brolin stole the show. He couldn't have nailed that role any better.

Ending was a little lame, and felt more anti-climactic than I was hoping for. I don't need to see how little J tied into everything. Nothing tops the ending of the first film (for this series).

While it didn't fully capture the fun of the first film, I enjoyed going back to this universe and not watching dreck like MIIB, so there's a good chance it'll wind up in my collection at some point.

P/S: Anyone else think it was odd to see the calm, cool Arnold Rothstein playing the alien Rain Man?

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Saw the finished film after seeing a rough cut back in November.

Had they shown Earth (or at least Manhattan) being destroyed by the Boglodites when J has to make his time jump, maybe Boris the Animal wouldn't feel like a lame villain and would have given more weight to what he originally set out to do and the importance of the Arcnet.
Uh, isn't that exactly what they show when J time jumps?
Old 12-01-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Uh, isn't that exactly what they show when J time jumps?
All I see are some ships in the air. I expected some massive destruction to buildings, not hugs from the ship tentacles.
Old 12-01-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Considering how bloated the budget got, I'm sure heavily implying it was enough. Besides, haven't we seen NYC destroyed enough to know what it'll look like? It looked like Boris achieved exactly what he set out to do.
Old 05-03-13, 02:24 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Columbia Pictures Chief Douglas Belgrad has confirmed that Men in Black IV is indeed being planned, though there’s some question as to to what form it will take (more on that in a moment).

“There are very few actors… who can do romance, action and comedy. We’re in business with two of them, Channing Tatum and Will Smith… We’re very pleased with the financial performance of ‘Men in Black 3′, and we believe it is an ongoing franchise. We’re going to do [another one], but we don’t have clarity yet on how it should be done.”

MIB series director Barry Sonnenfeld previously suggested that a fourth installment could take on the form of a reboot, following the emotionally-satisfying payoff to the relationship between Agents K (Tommy Lee Jones) and J (Will Smith) provided by MIB 3. Makeup artist Rick Baker alluded to the idea that Josh Brolin as a younger Agent K could become the focus in future films – but that might’ve been pure speculation on his part.

That said, Jones and Smith don’t appear to be all that invested in continuing to work on the MIB franchise (and it arguably showed with their performances in MIB 3). Sony/Columbia could conceivably push for a fourth movie where the duo “pass the torch” to a pair of fresh faces, who’d headline the series from there on out.
Old 05-03-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We’re very pleased with the financial performance of ‘Men in Black 3′.
Fucking bullshit. It underperformed. Every meeting pointing out the financial goals of last year point to it as a loss. With a bloated budget and major pre-production and production issues.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.