Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Great Gatsby (2012) D: Baz Luhrmann starring Leo Dicaprio

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Great Gatsby (2012) D: Baz Luhrmann starring Leo Dicaprio

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Great Gatsby (2012) D: Baz Luhrmann starring Leo Dicaprio

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
We read all those except Wuthering Heights and Brave New World, instead it was Death of A Salesman and Don Quixote (the guy and the windmill?) I believe.
We read Death of a Salesman in 9th or 10th grade. Never read Don Quixote, but I know the general gist from an episode of Wishbone.
Old 05-12-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I have to say, it was interesting to see Tobey Maguire in a movie again after such a long time. Last time I saw him on a movie screen was Spider-Man 3, and it's been over 4 years since he has appeared in a major release. Kind of wondering what caused the long absence.
Wow, I hadn't realized Maguire had been away so long. Looking at his filmography he did the movie Brothers in 2009 which I saw and didn't really care much for (although his performance was good) and then a movie called The Details which I don't remember hearing anything about and that's really about it until this. It is a bit odd that he was away for so long after a semi hot streak in the early 2000s. I've never really thought he was a great actor or anything but he can be decent depending on the role.
Old 05-12-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
We read Death of a Salesman in 9th or 10th grade. Never read Don Quixote, but I know the general gist from an episode of Wishbone.
Speaking of Wishbone, I have a question. Spoilers for A Tale of Two Cities

Spoiler:

At the end, one dude takes the place of another to be executed. But in Wishbone, it was the dog that took the place of the human. So I'm wondering if in the actual story, did that character look like the guy who he took the place of, and they switched them secretly? Or was it some legal exchange where he was accepted as a substitute execution?
Old 05-13-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I've never really thought he was a great actor or anything but he can be decent depending on the role.
Maguire has an effortless everyman quality. Looking over his filmography, Spider-man ate nearly a decade of his career; those films probably burned him out.

As for Gatsby, it's really a triumph of production value. You can see the money on the screen. Baz may have the worst case of ADD in recorded human history though. All his films are annoying at first, but once you mentally digest the pace, you really get sucked into the world.
Old 05-13-13, 08:37 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

What a bunch of dumb people in this thread. Go read some books, why don't ya?

Old 05-13-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
What a bunch of dumb people in this thread. Go read some books, why don't ya?

Go buy two tickets to paradise and leave us alone why don't ya?

Old 05-13-13, 09:45 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Go buy two tickets to paradise and leave us alone why don't ya?

I can walk on water. Can you?
Old 05-13-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast

Spoiler:

At the end, one dude takes the place of another to be executed. But in Wishbone, it was the dog that took the place of the human. So I'm wondering if in the actual story, did that character look like the guy who he took the place of, and they switched them secretly? Or was it some legal exchange where he was accepted as a substitute execution?
I can answer that.

Spoiler:
English lawyer Sidney Carton enables French aristocrat Charles Darnay to escape his death sentence in Paris by secretly taking his place in the wagon carrying condemned prisoners to the guillotine. Carton looked enough like Darnay to pull it off. Not that the French executioners were looking all that closely. Why did Carton do it? Because he was in love with Darnay's girl, Lucie Manette, and wanted her to be happy. You think any lawyer today would do anything like that? (Or even any lawyer then?)

I'm going to a memorial service later today for my old high school English teacher. He'd be so proud of me. So thank you for asking.
Old 05-13-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
As for Gatsby, it's really a triumph of production value. You can see the money on the screen. Baz may have the worst case of ADD in recorded human history though. All his films are annoying at first, but once you mentally digest the pace, you really get sucked into the world.
Agree on this. All of his films are a bit like nails on a chalkboard when they first start, but once I get used to his style, I get pulled into his world and hard.

I really enjoyed this movie. It looked fantastic, the actors were great, the story is timeless, and I was just buying it hook, line and sinker. I know some are hating on it, but it worked for me. I will probably see it again over the summer, and cannot wait for the blu ray.
Old 05-13-13, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do hope the BD has some damn good features on the design of the film.
Old 05-13-13, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I don't recall this particular episode of Wishbone, but how did they incorporate the murder and rape into a children's show?

The more I think about Gatsby, the more I like it as its own entity rather than say an adaptation to the novel. There's a lot that Luhrmann got wrong (the themes from the book are mysteriously absent, Tom's racism makes no point other than to make him look like the bad guy, etc), but I think Luhrmann got a lot right.

It's by far and away the best adaptation of the novel.
Old 05-14-13, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Never read the book. Really really really enjoyed it, but I have a bias for Luhrmann, Moulin Rouge is one of my most favorite movies ever.
Old 05-14-13, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It's by far and away the best adaptation of the novel.
Only way this is true is if each showing meant free copies of the book given to school districts across the country.
Old 08-11-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The movie was okay. Visually stunning and I was entertained. I agree that Joel Edgerton was the best in the film. He rocked it. The true revelation was that broad with the short dark hair - Elizabeth Debicki. She was awesome and I looked her up and she's 6"2 3/4. Damn, that's a huge bitch! She also reminded me of Evan Rachel Wood but in a less bitchy capacity.

I'll need to read the book now.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-11-13 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-20-13, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I just finished watching it. I wasn't expecting much after hearing about the Jay Z/hip-hop soundtrack, but I was pleasantly surprised. Thought it was exceptionally well cast, acted, and visually stunning, although it had more green screen than 300.