Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-08-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

'Avengers 2' Is Officially Happening: Disney Announces Sequel Is In Development

The Huffington Post | By Kia Makarechi Posted: 05/08/2012 6:29 pm Updated: 05/08/2012 6:29 pm

Disney announced Tuesday that there would be an "Avengers" sequel.

It's the type of story we have to write, but you saw this coming: "Avengers" is officially getting a sequel. Disney announced Tuesday afternoon that the second ensemble superhero film is already in development.

It's shockingly unsurprising news, for two main reasons: One, there's a post-credits scene at the end of "Marvel's The Avengers" that hints at a future film and, two, the first movie made the most money over an opening weekend in the history of motion pictures.

Still, it's nice to see Disney take a break from counting their millions reacting to the positive fan reaction to the film and greenlighting a sequel. Disney CEO Bob Iger announced the news at the beginning of a conference call with reporters, describing the success of the first film as "a great illustration of why we like Marvel so much."

"The Avengers" has been a veritable money tree for Disney and Marvel. The movie dialed up a $200 million stateside over its opening weekend, earning the second-highest single day gross of all time (after "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2") on its way to its record-shattering biggest weekend of all time.

So yes, a sequel was a tough call to make.
Old 05-08-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015, Whedon)

1. Get Whedon back
2. ???
3. Profit
Old 05-08-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iron Man 3 arrives May 2013. Thor 2 is November 2013. Captain America 2 is April 2014. They have nothing officially scheduled after that.

Christmas 2014 would seem like the earliest realistic date. I hope we don't have to wait until 2015.
Old 05-08-12, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I still want the Incredible Hulk 2. I predict summer tent pole 2015 for Avengers 2.
Old 05-08-12, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bring back Whedon. That is all.
Old 05-08-12, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Iron Man 3 arrives May 2013. Thor 2 is November 2013. Captain America 2 is April 2014. They have nothing officially scheduled after that.

Christmas 2014 would seem like the earliest realistic date. I hope we don't have to wait until 2015.
Don't forget the Ant-Man movie. Ant-Man will likely come out before Avengers 2 as an introduction to Hank and Janet, and then they will probably join the Avengers in the second movie.

So probably Ant-Man will be Christmas 2014 and Avengers 2 in summer 2015.
Old 05-08-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't bring back Scarlett Johansson.
Old 05-08-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I agree. She should stay with me (catsuit optional).

•He’s seen an unfinished version of The Amazing Spider-Man and says it is excellent and should quiet concerns over the idea of rebooting the franchise.
•They have an option for Whedon to direct The Avengers 2 when and if the time comes.
•There are currently no plans to do a new Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo.
•Iron Man 3 starts filming in five weeks in North Carolina.
•When approaching Iron Man 3, their gut instinct was to not make it be a pseudo-Avengers 2. It’s a full-on Tony Stark movie.
•Iron Man 3 is inspired by the first half of Iron Man 1 in that they’re metaphorically putting Tony back in the cave. He’s stripped of everything, back against a wall, and has nothing but his intelligence to get him out.
•Filming on Thor 2 begins in three months in London and it picks up where the first film left off in terms of Jane and Oden.
•Thor 2 also addresses what’s been happening in the nine realms with the Asgardians unable to use the Bifrost.
•Loki has a part in Thor 2, but there will be a different, big villain.
•The crux of Thor 2 is continuing the dynamic between Thor and Jane, as well as the relationship between Thor and Odin.
•Feige says there are no plans for Marvel and Pixar to team up on a feature.
•Creative talks have been progressing for years between Marvel and Disney about possibly doing a Marvel property as an animated film.
•Edgar Wright did not film something for Marvel recently, but Feige says to pay attention to Wright’s tweets in the coming months “and that might change.”
•They’re still figuring out how much period flashbacks to include in Captain America 2.
•The primary story of Captain America 2 will be Steve Rogers figuring out his place in the world. For the time-being, he’ll be staying with S.H.I.E.L.D.
•They should announce by Comic-Con or before what’s coming out in May 2014.
•Zak Penn did not write a Doctor Strange movie.
•Feige says, “depending on what Edgar Wright films for us” circumstances could possibly force them to make three films in one year.
Old 05-08-12, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Don't forget the Ant-Man movie. Ant-Man will likely come out before Avengers 2 as an introduction to Hank and Janet, and then they will probably join the Avengers in the second movie.

So probably Ant-Man will be Christmas 2014 and Avengers 2 in summer 2015.
Wright wants to introduce Pym but he wants the focus on Scott Lang as teh lead mostly. That's the last bit of story I heard.
Old 05-08-12, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Wright wants to introduce Pym but he wants the focus on Scott Lang as teh lead mostly. That's the last bit of story I heard.
What I heard is that they plan to have Hank Pym be Ant-Man in the Ant-Man movie, and then Scott Lang will become the second Ant-Man in Avengers 2. While they haven't said anything about Hank in Avengers 2, I can't believe they would leave him out so I imagine he will become his Giant-Man persona.
Old 05-08-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Considering Ant-Man has been in development for like 8 years, I doubt it'll make it out before Avengers 2.

Also, I'm shocked that this announcement came so fast. I mean, it's not even clear if Disney/Marvel can even make money on this franchise.
Old 05-08-12, 08:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope we get an Edgar Wright Ant-Man before Avengers II.
Old 05-08-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Scarlett witch and quicksilver plz
Old 05-08-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
I still want the Incredible Hulk 2. I predict summer tent pole 2015 for Avengers 2.
Incredible Hulk 2 might have the 2015 slot:

As a comic book character, The Hulk is a pretty interesting creation. Most Marvel heroes have a well-established place in the company’s overarching storyline; despite deviations and alterations here and there, the general persona of guys like Captain America and Spider-Man are well-defined. The Hulk is one who has been mutated (pun intended) many times over the years to be hero, villain, anti-hero, unwitting antagonist, and more.

Even on screen the Hulk has been relatively fluid, if not quite as all over the place as his comic appearances, with three major incarnations over the past decade, played by Eric Bana, Edward Norton, and Mark Ruffalo. Prior to Ruffalo’s appearance in The Avengers, the big-screen Hulks have been marginally successful, with varying degrees of fan appreciation.

The Avengers is doing so well, however, that the Hulk may have another shot at the big screen.

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said just a couple weeks ago that the character probably wasn’t going to get another film of his own. The Huffington Post asked him about giving the Hulk “another shot,” to which Feige replied,

Well, no. This was the other shot. Right? I mean, this was the third appearance of Hulk and everything that we had and were going for, we put in to Hulk’s appearance in “Avengers.” So, I love that people are saying that and are feeling that way about Hulk, but mission accomplished at this point. And the way we go forward, we’ll see. But it was a long road to get to this point. … But we’ll be very careful about it and deliberate — as we were in how we wanted to bring him back in “Avengers.”
But today there is a piece in Forbes in which Marvel’s Paul Gitter, aka the company’s President of Consumer Products, suggests otherwise. Gitter says Marvel is “pleasantly surprised by the phenomenal response” to the current incarnation of the Hulk.

His sales are up in a major way. We repositioned him from where he was always misunderstood to now depicting him in a more heroic and aspirational manner.
Gitter wants to sell Hulk as a new corporate icon, and says that if the trend of popularity for the character continues, Marvel will take advantage of it, “[spinning] him off to a stand-alone program next year,” with a new movie in 2015.

What a difference two weeks and a weekend of successful international box office can bring. And while Kevin Feige, as president of Marvel Studios, may seem like he has the last word on whether or not a movie gets made, you can bet that if Marvel sees a big opportunity to sell a character like the Hulk, they’re going to seize it. (Gitter calls franchise moves “big commercials in the sky,” which should make the whole process pretty clear.)
Old 05-08-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have hulk come out in may and avengers in july
Old 05-08-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I think it would be cool if they had a team up movie between two people if one character can't carry the whole movie, like what's been hinted at for the Hulk. For example, Banner and Stark. We can have Iron Man 3, Banner teams up with him as a scientist on breakthroughs, but for the final battle, there is a need for both Hulk and Iron Man together. Doubt that'll happen, since Iron Man can carry the whole thing, but it would be a good fit for the Hulk/Banner, if they're not confident about him helming a whole movie on his own merits.

But even if both people could have their own respective movies, I think at least one "two person" movie between now and the Avengers could be pretty cool from any of the main four.

I dunno, it seems that now that we have all of these people together, it's sad to see them going their separate ways. I'd like to see at least a few friendships forged without "ignoring" what happened in these movies only to have them re-unite for a sequel. And I mean real team-ups, not some post credit stuff.

Last edited by bluetoast; 05-08-12 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd love to see a Hulk/Iron Man combo so we can get some Hulkbuster armor out there.
Old 05-08-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The team needs a female or two, and she's easy on the eyes and looks damn good in a skintight suit.
Old 05-08-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's talk of a Black Widow solo movie. Hopefully they tack on Hawkeye as an antagonist so we can have a whole cat-n-mouse thing going and we see him spare her life as she mentioned in The Avengers.
Old 05-08-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

They just need to give her character a moment where she actually is in danger from the enemy. We knew the Hulk wouldn't kill her, and she always seemed to have her cool, and there was no real threat to her character: With the Russians, with Loki, with Hawkeye, in the final battle. She needs to get shocked/injured or something. At least Hawkeye (the other "normal" person) got brainwashed so he had something to be pissed about.

Like others said in the reviews thread, having these two people fighting alongside the others was kind of weird but they held their own...just would like to see some raised stakes next time since they're playing in the big leagues.
Old 05-08-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think people would look at a Hulk film a little differently now after his role in The Avengers. Wasn't The Incredible Hulk the least profitable of the first batch of movies leading up to this?

A Ruffalo film would be fantastic if they could capture the same tone of Avengers.
Old 05-08-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well Hulk chasing after her was a missed opportunity to hear "Hulk horny!" But, although it was a fair assumption he wouldn't kill her, Hulk looked plenty threatening and Black Widow seemd plenty scared as she was cowering from him in the helicarrier.
Old 05-08-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Well Hulk chasing after her was a missed opportunity to hear "Hulk horny!" But, although it was a fair assumption he wouldn't kill her, Hulk looked plenty threatening and Black Widow seemd plenty scared as she was cowering from him in the helicarrier.
Yeah, she played that scene perfectly.
Old 05-08-12, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The team needs a female or two, and she's easy on the eyes and looks damn good in a skintight suit.
She-Hulk would be awesome.

And if the Ant-Man movie does happen and they bring him into the Avengers, I imagine they will bring in Wasp too.
Old 05-08-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts

•Creative talks have been progressing for years between Marvel and Disney about possibly doing a Marvel property as an animated film
They should skip this and leave animated stuff for TV and Direct to Video. I mean shit, they've made The Avengers movie and a few other great Hero films, they shouldn't go back to cartoons.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.