Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (5/4 - 5/7): Joss Whedon Finally Achieves Box Office Gold

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (5/4 - 5/7): Joss Whedon Finally Achieves Box Office Gold

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Weekend Box Office (5/4 - 5/7): Joss Whedon Finally Achieves Box Office Gold

I don't think TDKR will even come close to this opening. I actually think that TDKR will be a "disappointment" in terms of B.O. just based on the hype.
Old 05-06-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (5/4 - 5/7): Joss Whedon Finally Achieves Box Office Gold

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So this means the movie could drop 50% next weekend and still rake in $100 million .
Don't forget the 20mill from this wknd's midnight grosses, so it'd be 90. Personally I think 80 next wknd would be a fantastic hold for the film.
Old 05-06-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

TDKR wont have the 3D boost, no way it gets close to $200 opening weekend. I think $158 mil is just about the max a non 3D movie can do.
Old 05-06-12, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I don't think TDKR will open to $200 million. I'm not sure it'll even break TDK's opening number. I don't think the anticipation for TDKR is as high as the previous film, and certainly not on the level of what it was for The Avengers.

Nolan's Batman series could somewhat mirror the Pirates films, where the 2nd one had the highest numbers.
I disagree with this strongly. The anticipation for TDKR is certainly there in a big way. Knowing that this is the last of this Batman trilogy and wanting to know how it will end for Batman and what Bane will do to Batman. The anticipation is there. The movie is till 2 months out. The TV spots will be there soon, more interviews, more exposure to the trailers specifically the 3rd trailer in theaters. It will be there.
Old 05-06-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
So you don't think TDKR will get even close if not more than $200 million when it comes out? Even if TDKR doesn't get to $200 million OW it's still going to be close.
At my screening of The Avengers, there was no reaction at all to TDKR trailer. Not a good sign in front of a sold out, enthusiastic crowd. I think this thing peaked with TDK, and then only because of Heath Ledger.

The Avengers is going to chew up and spit out Batman in BO numbers.
Old 05-06-12, 04:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
At my screening of The Avengers, there was no reaction at all to TDKR trailer. Not a good sign in front of a sold out, enthusiastic crowd. I think this thing peaked with TDK, and then only because of Heath Ledger.

Whereas at my second screening, people were talking all through the trailers...but turned dead silent when TDKR trailer came up. Then they exploded in applause when it finished.
Old 05-06-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I think it was more Batman Begins + The Joker, Bane isn't nearly as well known in standard pop culture. I do think TDK was the high gross point for this Batman franchise. Not that it's a bad thing, still one of the better superhero movies.
Old 05-06-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

At my screening, there was a single "oh its Batman" heard when the trailer was on. Shrug.
Old 05-06-12, 04:36 PM
Banned

There usually isn't a reaction to most trailers. As long as I've been going to movies and I've been to a lot I've hardly ever and I almost wanted to say never have I see or heard an entire audience or even half the audience clapp during a trailer. The Avengers trailer got no reaction in the two or three times I saw it in the theaters, Inception trailers got no reaction in the multiple times I saw that in theaters and for a non-sequel, non-comic book, 'mind spinning' movie to make the money it did is ridiculous. The audience not reacting to a trailer means squat because it just doesn't happen and if it does it very RARE.
Old 05-06-12, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Whereas at my second screening, people were talking all through the trailers...but turned dead silent when TDKR trailer came up. Then they exploded in applause when it finished.
Really? I've never seen this in a theater. I'm being serious I don't recall ever seeing an audience react to a trailer like that. It just sounds weird, awkward for people to applaud for a trailer. I was excited to seen TDKR trailer on the big screen but it didn't make me want to applaud. The audience I saw it with did get quiet when it came on. That to me means that it definitely got the audiences attention more than clapping. I guess it does happen I've just never seen it.
Old 05-06-12, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard applauding for any trailer but you know...that excitement you get when you first watch something badass. That's pretty much what I got today when I saw Avengers in 2D this time. People were excited. No applause though.
Old 05-06-12, 04:51 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, they applauded. That screening was filled with several uber-geeks.
Old 05-06-12, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yeah, they applauded. That screening was filled with several uber-geeks.
Old 05-06-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
I hope not. Though, if it does, that makes it more likely that we'll see this:

I know this is a joke... But this movie would be awesome.
Old 05-06-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Heath ledger's joker I think really helped and his great performance really help sky rocket tdk, will be interesting to see if tdkr can keep at it
Old 05-06-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
will be interesting to see if tdkr can keep at it
How so? I mean, does anyone think the movie CAN compete with TDK with a relatively-unknown (and living) actor playing an obscure villain?

I'm just being realistic here. Is there anyone who actually thinks TDKR will outperform TDK?
Old 05-06-12, 05:34 PM
Banned

I don't think it'll out perform...but it'll be behind it at least. Not by too far...i'm not sure what the gap for that would be for me.
Old 05-06-12, 05:42 PM

I think that TDKR will open strong, maybe $140 million. I also think that it will not go past $300 million.
Old 05-06-12, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
I think that TDKR will open strong, maybe $140 million. I also think that it will not go past $300 million.
I've got nothing for this. What? Well actually I do. Do you really believe this?
Old 05-06-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TDKR will open strong, but not nearly as strong as Avengers, and I don't think it will come close to the final box office numbers that Avengers will have.
Old 05-06-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no doubt in my mind that WB has to be deciding now to move all major DC properties towards a Justice League movie. No way did this take not hit them by surprise. Hopefully that will mean the next Batman franchise will be closer to the comics and not just an imitation of Nolan's world.

Disney/Marvel has it made going forward. How I wish they could take X-Men back though.
Old 05-06-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I have no doubt in my mind that WB has to be deciding now to move all major DC properties towards a Justice League movie. No way did this take not hit them by surprise. Hopefully that will mean the next Batman franchise will be closer to the comics and not just an imitation of Nolan's world.

Disney/Marvel has it made going forward. How I wish they could take X-Men back though.
I suppose it will continue to motivate the studios that hold the rights to other Marvel properties to continue pumping out movies with the characters to avoid letting them go back to Marvel Studios. Of course, that doesn't mean they'll make them with near as much care as Marvel is taking with theirs.
Old 05-06-12, 06:25 PM
Banned

Yeah but you know Joe Public...they'll think it's by the same people if it flashes Marvel on there.
Old 05-06-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
There usually isn't a reaction to most trailers. As long as I've been going to movies and I've been to a lot I've hardly ever and I almost wanted to say never have I see or heard an entire audience or even half the audience clapp during a trailer. The Avengers trailer got no reaction in the two or three times I saw it in the theaters, Inception trailers got no reaction in the multiple times I saw that in theaters and for a non-sequel, non-comic book, 'mind spinning' movie to make the money it did is ridiculous. The audience not reacting to a trailer means squat because it just doesn't happen and if it does it very RARE.
Prometheus got a big reaction, so did a couple of others, which is why the flat reaction to TDKR stood out to me.
Old 05-06-12, 06:35 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I for one am glad we're getting a First Class sequel. As long as we're talking about Fassbender, McAvoy, and Matthew Vaugn, I'm okay with Fox having those rights.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.