Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-05-12, 06:35 PM   #51
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Weekend Box Office (5/4 - 5/7): Joss Whedon Finally Achieves Box Office Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Depending on which format I watch it this afternoon, means I'll probably go back to see it. Out here at the Barrywoods 24 you have your choice of a regular 2D, regular 3D, ETX 3D and IMAX 3D. Choices!
Other people may have different opinions but I didn't feel the 3D was worth the upgrade. I saw it in IMAX 3D mainly for the larger screen but the 3D option is the only way to see it and there's only one scene in the movie where I even really noticed anything worthwhile.

I believe Suprmallet or Chimel said that this is only playing in IMAX this first week of release since Dark Shadows is coming out so if you do opt to see it that way then you better do it before next Friday.

"As far as 240 lb rapists go, she's not that bad." -- DRG
Old 05-05-12, 06:37 PM   #52
DonnachaOne
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: A place where they know how to pronounce "Donnacha" correctly
Re: Weekend Box Office (5/4 - 5/7): Joss Whedon Finally Achieves Box Office Gold

Yes, it's only in IMAX for a week, and only in digital IMAX theatres.
Old 05-05-12, 07:35 PM   #53
RoboDad
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
I'm not exaggerating here, but every single person I know who went to see The Avengers already, is planning on going back AT LEAST once more to see it again, in the next week or two. People who don't see movies twice. I think it'll have pretty decent legs.

Yep, we saw it in IMAX 3D last night, and we'll be going back at least once more for a 2D showing. And I can pretty much guarantee that there won't be any other movie this summer that I see twice at the theater.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 05-05-12, 09:04 PM   #54
Mr. Cinema
DVD Talk Legend

Per Deadline: Sources tell me that Marvel’s The Avengers is looking at $60M for today and is still on track for that record-setting $175M domestic weekend opening.

That would give it the all-time best Saturday ever, breaking Spider-man 3's $51.3 million record.

My Countdown Counting down to: Black Swan
Old 05-05-12, 09:13 PM   #55
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

If so, not just breaking that Saturday record, crushing it.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-05-12, 10:43 PM   #56
Anubis2005X
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
I'm not exaggerating here, but every single person I know who went to see The Avengers already, is planning on going back AT LEAST once more to see it again, in the next week or two. People who don't see movies twice. I think it'll have pretty decent legs.
I really enjoyed it but am fine with just waiting for the Blu-ray. Glad to see that Whedon finally is getting some movie recognition....
Old 05-05-12, 10:49 PM   #57
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

I can see this being a "multiple screenings" movie since it was a lot of fun but I can't justify seeing a movie twice anymore. I've only done it a handful of times as it is but after shelling out $17 for the IMAX 3D screening today I think I'm good until the BD comes out.

"As far as 240 lb rapists go, she's not that bad." -- DRG
Old 05-05-12, 11:08 PM   #58
JesseCuster
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a few others have said, I'm about as excited by what this success will allow Whedon to do as the movie itself. It would be immensely cool if he was able to sneak something into the contract along the lines of taking little up front to direct but having a bonus for himself worked in and backing guaranteed for future smaller projects depending on how The Avengers performs along with total creative control for said projects. He's shown he can make some pretty great stuff with lunch money and pocket lint (Dr. Horrible) so he wouldn't need much for his side work.
Old 05-05-12, 11:15 PM   #59
Ghostbuster

I saw The Avengers today in a packed theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
As a few others have said, I'm about as excited by what this success will allow Whedon to do as the movie itself...
I'm hoping for a Buffy movie. I probably shouldn't hold my breath.
Old 05-06-12, 01:50 AM   #60
gerrythedon
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
I saw The Avengers today in a packed theater.

and Angel then Serenity II.
Just when all seems fine and I'm pain free. You jab another pin, you jab another pin in me.
Old 05-06-12, 01:53 AM   #61
Why So Blu?
DVD Talk Legend

It's only taken Whedon 20+ years to achieve this type of status. Monday morning's meeting will be the studio giving him carte blanche.
Old 05-06-12, 02:06 AM   #62
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like maybe 68 million now on Saturday with more than 185 million for the three day weekend.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/aven...hina-openings/
Denon 2802
Old 05-06-12, 06:48 AM   #63
JesseCuster
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This thing is going to have legs like no one has ever seen.
Old 05-06-12, 07:01 AM   #64
Mr. Cinema
DVD Talk Legend

After this weekend, the worldwide total will be over $575 million.

My Countdown Counting down to: Black Swan
Old 05-06-12, 07:31 AM   #65
Schloob1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
This thing is going to have legs like no one has ever seen.
Titanic
The Dark Knight (here in the states)

Guessing it will not be more than any of these in terms of "legs", so we've definitely seen it before. And there is still so much to come out this season that should quickly slow it down before long.
Old 05-06-12, 07:45 AM   #66
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's going to do huge bank, but I'd be pretty surprised if its "legs" touched Avatar or Titanic or ET.
Old 05-06-12, 07:49 AM   #67
JesseCuster
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
Titanic
The Dark Knight (here in the states)

Guessing it will not be more than any of these in terms of "legs", so we've definitely seen it before. And there is still so much to come out this season that should quickly slow it down before long.
Titanic is an anomoly that may never be seen again. It was fueled by millions of young teen girls seeing it ad infinitum. The Dark Knight and Avatar speak for themselves.. My thinking on ungodly legs comes from the 4 films that fed into The Avengers. Damn near everyone that saw those films (5, counting IM2) will see Avengers at some point. People that may have been hesitant to see it without a base film, a Capt America fan say, will see it based on his inclusion. You figure that in with the quality and perceived rewatchability....gawd. Scary.
Old 05-06-12, 07:54 AM   #68
Shannon Nutt
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
I think it's a safe bet that, outside of comics and other print, any chance of a Buffy/Angel/Firefly movie is DOA. Joss might finally get a Wonder Woman movie made, though.
Old 05-06-12, 07:59 AM   #69
Shannon Nutt
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Yeah, it's going to do huge bank, but I'd be pretty surprised if its "legs" touched Avatar or Titanic or ET.
I think it will have "legs" until at least July, being the only superhero movie around for a while. Heck, it might even be #1 at the box office until MIB 3 comes out. I don't see either Dark Shadows or Battleship being a serious threat...although I could be wrong.
Old 05-06-12, 08:33 AM   #70
Schloob1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I think it will have "legs" until at least July, being the only superhero movie around for a while. Heck, it might even be #1 at the box office until MIB 3 comes out. I don't see either Dark Shadows or Battleship being a serious threat...although I could be wrong.
There was quite a few people myself included who thought that about The Hunger Games and it dropped like a rock 2 weeks before we thought it would. I was seeing it possibly be tops at the box office until The Avengers came out but fell off the radar a whole 2 weekends before that. And if it does fall to MIB 3 that weekend would mean it will only be at the top of the box office for 3 weeks. Sorry, but while this will make some serious bank just don't see it doing THAT well. These are just a few of the movies coming out before July that will seriously cut into that take for The Avengers.

MIB 3
Prometheus
Battleship
Brave
GI Joe 2
Madagascar 3 (to a lesser extent)
Old 05-06-12, 09:18 AM   #71
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yeah, and it still wouldn't touch the legs of the movies I mentioned.
Old 05-06-12, 09:20 AM   #72
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

"Official numbers aren't out yet, but THE AVENGERS will go down in history as the #1 debut of all-time--somewhere between $190-$200 million."

https://twitter.com/#!/ERCboxoffice/...35106735149057

Wow! Huge opening.
Denon 2802
Old 05-06-12, 09:50 AM   #73
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-06-12, 09:56 AM   #74
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

That's major. Can't wait to see it this afternoon. Guess I better get there early!
Old 05-06-12, 10:00 AM   #75
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope. not even close to $400 million will this make.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Sponsored Links