Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tomorrowland (2015, Bird) S: Clooney, Robertson, Laurie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

No it's not 1906, and it's not animated, but Brad Bird is back, and whatever it is, I'm there.

First, the bad news: It doesn’t look like Brad Bird will be making an animated feature anytime soon. Now, the good news: Brad Bird is making another film. Deadline Hollywood reported yesterday that Brad Bird is set to direct a major live-action tentpole for Disney from a script by Damon Lindelof, who co-created and exec produced the TV series Lost. Lindelof is co-writing the script—titled 1952 (work-in-progress)—with Jeff Jensen. No other details have been revealed about the project at this time. The film shouldn’t be confused with Bird’s long-in-development personal live-action project, 1906, which is about the historic San Francisco earthquake. Of course, I have to take this opportunity to mention that even though Brad isn’t creating animation, he took the time to write the foreword to an upcoming animation history book.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/br...t-film-is.html
Old 05-04-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: "Tomorrowland" Director: Bird Writer: Lindelof

I wish Bird could clone himself, so that one of them could do animated movies while the other does live action. I really liked his Mission: Impossible, but there's also a part of me that wants the best American director of animation doing, well, animation.
Old 05-04-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

He shouldn't be allowed to make another movie until Iron Giant comes out on Blu-ray
Old 05-04-12, 01:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I love the line about "not to be confused with 1906!" No shit.
Old 05-04-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
He shouldn't be allowed to make another movie until Iron Giant comes out on Blu-ray
I believe someone at WB said that would be coming this year.

So, you know, I guess he can go back to doing his job now.
Old 05-04-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

1952 would be 5 years after the UFO crash in Roswell.
Old 05-04-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I believe someone at WB said that would be coming this year.

So, you know, I guess he can go back to doing his job now.
I'm glad he consulted me about it
Old 05-04-12, 05:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I love the line about "not to be confused with 1906!" No shit.
Yeah, who knows what 1906 is about. This is clearly the movie about the SF earthquake.
Old 05-04-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1952... let's see:

Eisenhower elected
King George VI dies
Eva Peron dies
H-bomb detonated
I was born

Hey! Finally, something worthy of Brad Bird... my life story.
Old 01-28-13, 03:03 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Disney’s ’1952′ Now Titled ‘Tomorrowland’
The film that is a closely guarded secret at Disney has an official title: Tomorrowland. Formerly known as 1952, this is the big-scale tentpole that Brad Bird is directing and co-wrote with Damon Lindelof from a concept by Lindelof and Jeff Jensen. George Clooney is starring in a story that supposedly is about a man who encounters alien life on Earth. It recently was set for a December 19, 2014 release in 3D.
Old 01-28-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah and here's a mystery box marked 1952, which Lindelof allegedly found at Disney and got to writing after that. The aintitcool article provides explanations of some of the contents.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60502
Old 01-30-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Tomorrowland (Bird, 2014) — Lindelof-written film starring George Clooney

http://thedisneyblog.com/2013/01/28/...Disney+Blog%29

Brad Bird’s live action film gets a name change to something with a theme park tie-in. This according to a brief press release from Disney:
The Walt Disney Studios has announced that its live-action release previously known as 1952 will be titled Tomorrowland. The film will be released domestically on December 19, 2014. George Clooney (The Descendants) is set to star.

Tomorrowland is written by Damon Lindelof and Brad Bird from a concept by Lindelof and Jeff Jensen. Lindelof (Star Trek, Lost, Prometheus) will produce and Bird (The Incredibles, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol) will produce and direct.
Reportedly the plot centers around Clooney’s character after he encounters alien life on earth. It’s unknown if this title means anything for the future of the Tomorrowland area of Disneyland and Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. But both versions of the theme park land are in need of some serious updating and anything to hang a theme on. Alien life has been considered as a new theme for Tomorrowland before (Plectu’s Galactic Review as part of Tomorrowland 2055 for instance).

<hr>

Absolutely thrilled and I know nothing about it.
Old 01-30-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Tomorrowland (Bird, 2014) — Lindelof-written film starring George Clooney

Only thrilled because of the Bird-Clooney combo and the time period. Not so much about a tie in to Tomorrowland, even though I loved that attraction as a kid.
Old 01-30-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Tomorrowland (Bird, 2014) — Lindelof-written film starring George Clooney

I had a thread on this with the working title from a while back, just requested a thread change on that one.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-lindelof.html
Old 01-30-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Tomorrowland (2014, Bird) S: Clooney, Laurie

As I said in the now-locked thread, I'm only thrilled because of the Bird-Clooney combo and the time period. Not so much about a tie in to Tomorrowland, even though I loved that attraction as a kid.
Old 01-30-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
As I said in the now-locked thread, I'm only thrilled because of the Bird-Clooney combo and the time period. Not so much about a tie in to Tomorrowland, even though I loved that attraction as a kid.
That and Lindelof could be a problem.
Old 08-07-13, 03:26 PM

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve learned an already busy Judy Greer is in talks to reunite with George Clooney in Tomorrowland. With Hugh Laurie and Britt Robinson also starring in the film, Brad Bird is directing from a screenplay by Damon Lindelof. Like the sci-fi Disney pic itself, Greer’s potential role is a tightly guarded secret. What we do know is that this would be Greer’s third film with Clooney after 2011′s The Descendants and 1999′s Three Kings. While Tomorrowland negotiations are going on, Greer has a pretty full dance card of releases and roles as it is. The actress appears in Arrested Development and will be in the Carrie reboot coming out this fall. She is currently working on Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, and is starring in Andrew Gurland’s untitled FX comedy pilot opposite Nat Faxon. If that wasn’t enough, the actress is also the voice of Cheryl on the animated spy series Archer on FX. Greer is repped by CAA, Principato-Young Entertainment, and attorney Fred Toczek.
Old 08-07-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

You had me at Bird directing and then lost me completely with Lindelof writing.
Old 08-07-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974
You had me at Bird directing and then LOST me completely with Lindelof writing.
Old 08-26-13, 10:13 PM

Principal photography has begun on Disney’s mystery adventure “Tomorrowland,” starring two-time Academy Award winner George Clooney (“Michael Clayton,” “Syriana”), Hugh Laurie (“Monsters vs. Aliens,” “Arthur Christmas”), Britt Robertson (“Under The Dome”), Raffey Cassidy (“Dark Shadows,” “Snow White and the Huntsman”) and Thomas Robinson (“The Switch”). The film is directed, produced and co-written by two-time Oscar® winner Brad Bird (“Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol,” “The Incredibles”). Damon Lindelof (“Star Trek Into Darkness,” “Prometheus”) and Jeffrey Chernov (“Star Trek,” “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol”) are also producers. The screenplay is written by Brad Bird and Damon Lindelof from a story by Lindelof & Jeff Jensen and Brad Bird.

Jeff Jensen and John Walker (“The Incredibles”) will executive produce with Bernard Bellew (“Les Misérables,” “28 Weeks Later”) and Tom Peitzman, VFX producer (“Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol,” “Alice in Wonderland”) serving as co-producers.

Bound by a shared destiny, a bright, optimistic teen bursting with scientific curiosity and a former boy-genius inventor jaded by disillusionment embark on a danger-filled mission to unearth the secrets of an enigmatic place somewhere in time and space that exists in their collective memory as “Tomorrowland.”

Bird has gathered a great team behind the lens with Oscar® winning director of photography Claudio Miranda (“Life of Pi,” “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”), production designer Scott Chambliss (“Star Trek,” “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “Cowboys & Aliens”), Oscar® nominated costume designer Jeffrey Kurland (“Inception,” “Ocean’s Eleven”) and Academy Award®-winning editor Walter Murch (“The English Patient,” “Cold Mountain”).

TOMORROWLAND brings the mystery on December 12, 2014.

Last edited by dex14; 08-26-13 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Tomorrowland (2014, Bird) S: Clooney, Laurie

All that and the only thing that stands out to me is that Damon Lindelof co-wrote it. So the script will be part shit. Hopefully Brad Bird works the same magic he did with the weak plot of Mission: impossible - Ghost Protocol.
Old 08-27-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hugh Laurie (“Monsters vs. Aliens,” “Arthur Christmas”
Maybe 'House' would have been a better example of his work since most people know him from that and not just a voice in cartoon movies.
Old 08-27-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I dunno every time I hear the word Tomorrowland or World's Fair i think of this Fleischer cartoon
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rh8cLUgL8jg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-27-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was one of my favorite shorts as a kid.
Old 08-27-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm stating to get Rocketeer vibes from this. That's an excellent thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.