Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cloud Atlas -- D: The Wachowskis S: Hanks, Grant, Berry, Weaving -- Fall 2012

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cloud Atlas -- D: The Wachowskis S: Hanks, Grant, Berry, Weaving -- Fall 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Cloud Atlas -- D: The Wachowskis S: Hanks, Grant, Berry, Weaving -- Fall 2012

Here's the full directors' commentary:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T9wSVwbgMbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-31-12, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cloud Atlas -- D: The Wachowskis S: Hanks, Grant, Berry, Weaving -- Fall 2012

Ugh, this looks terrible and overly convoluted. Couldn't watch the trailer till the end, so I can't see myself watching the movie at all.
Old 07-31-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It really doesn't look convoluted at all. Different plot lines taking place at different times, some nice visuals, etc; actually seems pretty straight forward.

Terrible though, that's arguable. I'm interested as it at least looks somewhat unique, something exceedingly rare these days. The Sci-fi bits look a bit generic, but they could be fun. The caveman/post-apocalyptic stuff (whichever it may be) also looks fun.
Old 07-31-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This trailer blew me away. I'm definitely in. I love big thought provoking epics and time period flicks. It's great to see Hanks back in an action oriented role too.
Old 08-01-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh and yeah, for those that think this could be a big flop, you aren't alone. From Cannes earlier this year:

On the positive side you get movies like the ambitious adaptation of David Mitchell's sprawling multi-period "Cloud Atlas," which was unaffordable at $170 million when Warner Bros. budgeted it--and passed. But the Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer raised money overseas and shot it for $101 million with a discounted Tom Hanks (who even gave up his usual back end). The studio bought all North American rights for about $20 million, and the movie got made the way the Wachowskis and Tykwer wanted it on foreign pre-sales. And the finished 2 hours and 44-minute movie, which Warners' Jeff Robinov has approved even though it exceeded the contractual two and half hours, screened Tuesday at Cannes for four remaining territories, including the U.K., France, Japan and Spain.

Producer Grant Hill told me at the DDA party that Warners plans to open the movie stateside December 6 (although the date could move) and will screen it at Berlin. That makes it Oscar eligible.

So absolutely no studio interference on this one and Warner has all of $20m invested in it.
Old 08-01-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Just a note, it's opening Oct 26th, not Dec 6th as the info above states.
Old 08-05-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was wondering who this was it just didn't dawn on me why she looked familiar -

Spoilered for size.

Spoiler:

it's Halle Berry

Old 08-06-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Thread bump made me watch the trailer again.

This is a must see as soon as it's in Phoenix.

If it can be as likeable as it is in the trailer, I think it'll be just as successful as Tom Hanks' other large movies (I'm reminded of Castaway's success).
Old 08-08-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh oh, the Asians are getting upset.

http://blog.angryasianman.com/2012/0...ird-asian.html
http://blog.angryasianman.com/2012/0...s-trailer.html

According to this blog, which is gaining traction on the internet, white actors playing Asian actors is unacceptable. However, Asian and black actors playing white actors is acceptable? Nope, I don't think racism works in that way.
Old 08-18-12, 08:38 PM
Banned

guess there was a screening...

~ @BHirschberger I was lucky enough to view a test screening of Cloud Atlas in Pasadena a little while back. Everyone NEEDS to go see this movie.

~ Saw #cloudatlas tonight @mickeybeans One of the best, most unique films I've seen in years! The audience loved it! @mrjimsturgess is superb.

~ @ArcaneMovieTees Saw #cloudatlas last night. Was really good. Great storytelling and some fantastic acting!

~ @Jon_young Just seen test screening of Cloud Atlas - not the final version but looks like they’ve done a surprisingly good job of adapting it.

~ I have to say that this film totally blew me away! Leave it to the very creative and innovative Wachowski's and Tom Tykwer to make this complex book into a GREAT film.. .According to my watch, the film ran 2hrs. 50min. but you would never know it because time just flew by. Cloud Atlas has it all... action, adventure, romance, humor, and several very touching moments. It captures every emotion imaginable and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. I can honestly say it's one of the best films I've seen in years and definitely like nothing I've ever seen before! And the rest of the audience also seemed to love the film... there was long and loud applause after the film and lots of positive chatter going on around me. I can't wait for each and every one of you to see it!!!

~ Saw cloud atlas last night at their first test screening. I sat directly behind the wachowskis and even managed to strike up a conversation. Very cool people. The movie was over 3 hours and it did tend to drag a little. there were 5 different stories going at once so it was a little confusing for the first hour. The editing needs to be reworked., once that is done then that movie will be amazing. Tom hanks was good as well as halls berry. Hugo weaving rocked it and hugh grant was actually pretty cool.

~ The movie was over 3 hours and it did tend to drag a little. there were 5 different stories going at once so it was a little confusing for the first hour. The editing needs to be reworked, once that is done then that movie will be amazing. Tom hanks was good as well as halls berry. Hugo weaving rocked it and hugh grant was actually pretty cool.

~ I saw an early screening of this a few months back and all I have to say is it was one hot convoluted mess. My favorite part was the lights coming on at the end.

And now, to wrap it all up I leave you with this, a comment that may very well be a turn on for some or a put-off for others:

~ This isn't going to be a major Oscar player, I don't think. It would require near-unanimous critical praise--which it won't get--and massive box office--which seems unlikely. If it's a player, it will probably mostly be for the techs and maybe the elliptically beautiful screenplay. I have a hard time seeing much of anything else. But I don't really care. I'm glad this movie exists, and I hope the studio doesn't f*** it up too much thanks to test screening results. This is a delicate thing, and even the slightest of changes could make it all fall apart. But for a certain type of filmgoer, this is going to be a real treat indeed, and a reminder that American film can still do ambitious as well as anybody else (just so long as it's primarily financed by foreigners).
Old 08-18-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Uh oh, the Asians are getting upset.

http://blog.angryasianman.com/2012/0...ird-asian.html
http://blog.angryasianman.com/2012/0...s-trailer.html

According to this blog, which is gaining traction on the internet, white actors playing Asian actors is unacceptable. However, Asian and black actors playing white actors is acceptable? Nope, I don't think racism works in that way.
Er, are there asian and black actors playing white actors?
Old 09-06-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

New Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pQFAPeaJOf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-07-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never saw the 5 minute trailer (and won't), but I did watch this trailer and it looks like it could be awesome...or it could be a disaster.
Old 09-08-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supposedly, this movie had gotten a long standing ovation at the Toronto International Film Festival. And judging from the reviews so far, you'll either love it or hate it or at least admire it for its ambitiousness. Colour me intrigued with this film...

Here's an early review from Variety...http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117948250/

An intense three-hour mental workout rewarded with a big emotional payoff, "Cloud Atlas" suggests that all human experience is connected in the pursuit of freedom, art and love. As inventive narratives go, there's outside the box, and then there's pioneering another dimension entirely, and this massive, independently financed collaboration among Tom Tykwer and Wachowski siblings Lana and Andy courageously attempts the latter, interlacing six seemingly unrelated stories in such a way that parallels erupt like cherry bombs in the imagination. The R-rated epic should find a substantial audience when Warner Bros. releases it Oct. 26, assuming critics don't kill it in the cradle.
Based on David Mitchell's novel -- more like six novels really, with each one executed in a different genre, then split and wrapped around the next in a nested, "The Saragossa Manuscript"-style construction -- this daunting adaptation rejects the book's innovative, but overly literary format in favor or a more cinematic approach, opting to tell all half-dozen tales at once. Like juggling Ginsu blades, the tricky feat is part stunt, part skill, but undeniably entertaining to witness as half a millennium of world history unfolds, much of it set in centuries still to come.

Whereas the directors' earlier films hook viewers from the opening scene, this one functions more like a symphony, laying out snatches of all six separate strands and gradually building toward grand movements in which these elements merge in different combinations. Playing to their respective strengths, the Wachowskis tackle the earliest and two future-set segments, while Tykwer manages the three more contempo episodes, including a comedic one featuring Jim Broadbent as Timothy Cavendish, a borderline-senile book editor set in present-day London.

Broadbent, like the rest of the multiculti cast, reappears in the other sections as well, fully reinventing himself as a briny sea captain and a world-famous composer, plus a couple other bit roles so cleverly disguised by makeup, auds might not recognize him on first viewing. Each of the stories involves some measure of romance, beginning in 1849, with American lawyer Adam Ewing (Jim Sturgess) separated from his beloved (Doona Bae) by seafaring adventures among the Pacific Islands, and extending to the year 2346, where a lowly goat-herder (Tom Hanks) falls for an emissary (Halle Berry) from the opposite end of the technological spectrum in post-apocalyptic Hawaii.

Berry also stars in her own thread, playing Luisa Rey, a San Francisco reporter circa 1973 investigating the imminent threat of a nuclear reactor meltdown, receiving key assistance from scientist Rufus Sixsmith (James D'Arcy), who might just be the same man seen in the Cambridge-set 1936 chapter, a touching same-sex love story involving an aspiring musician (Ben Whishaw) attempting to write what will become the film's theme, "The Cloud Atlas Sextet," a beautiful piece actually composed by Tykwer, Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil.

The riskiest and most essential of the threads -- the one on which the entire tapestry depends -- takes place in NeoSeoul, 2144, a socially stratified "Blade Runner"-like city in which genetically cloned fabricants serve their consumerist masters. (By 2346, the middle class has been so ruthlessly eliminated that the world may as well be divided into cave-dwellers and astronauts.) Because the six segments naturally assume different styles, the division of labor among directors and their respective units complements rather than compromises the project's overall success, with the makeup and visual effects departments each carrying off seemingly impossible feats of transformation.

In Mitchell's novel, readers must draw their own connections between the tales, with only the recurring motif of a comet-shaped birthmark to suggest the continuity of a single soul across time. The film makes the congruities clearer, as Adam Ewing's Pacific journal is read by Frobischer, whose epistolary correspondence with Sixsmith resurfaces in the Luisa Rey mystery, eventually published by Cavendish, whose own story is adapted to film and viewed as a futuristic recording much later by Sonmi-451 (Bae) in NeoSeoul. The final connection is best left for auds to discover, but suffice to say that common themes echo throughout the film, where the gesture of liberating a slave in 1849 reverberates through time, culminating in a paradigm-changing insurrection whose denouement occurs two centuries later.

Certain links are impossible to miss by virtue of the way the three writer-directors assemble the film, and yet, given the sheer scope of the source material, so much has been omitted that one's attention must be engaged at all times as the mosaic triggers an infinite range of potentially profound personal responses.

No less exciting is the way "Cloud Atlas" challenges its actors to portray characters outside their race or gender. For instance Hugo Weaving plays villains in nearly every age, ranging from a heartless Korean consumerist to a Nurse Ratched-like ward master. Indeed, the filmmakers put the lie to the notion that casting -- an inherently discriminatory art -- cannot be adapted to a more enlightened standard of performance over mere appearance, reminding us why the craft is rightfully called "acting."
Hopefully, the directors have filmed much more than the 2hr and 40mins run time since the article had said that they omitted many parts of the novel. I haven't read the books but I'm hoping for an extended blu-ray!
Old 09-09-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mostly positive responses on Twitter from TIFF, those that love it LOVE it. Those that don't mostly found it dull but didn't hate it. Considering how many critically acclaimed movies I've found dull, I find these reviews refreshing, less analytical breakdowns than sheer response of liking it or not. But yeah, apparently it had a very long standing ovation at the end.
Old 09-09-12, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the critics whose opinions typically align with mine hated it, which really brings me down. I'll still see it, but I'm not as excited as once I was.
Old 09-09-12, 08:27 AM
Banned

Even though I'm not impressed by the trailer in terms of being enjoyed by it the premise and casting is very interesting to me. I'll see this for sure just cuz it seems very unique and ambitious...one can never have too much of that nowadays.
Old 09-09-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'll see this for sure just cuz it seems very unique and ambitious...one can never have too much of that nowadays.
Absolutely. I don't like Sucker Punch. I do, however, like that it exists. Rarely do we ever get to see massive, wildly imaginative epic movies anymore. I almost wish it had done well, just so I could have seen what other loopy and risky movies could have been made in its wake. Perhaps Cloud Atlas will prove a surprise. I hope it does.
Old 09-09-12, 08:43 AM
Banned

I.....really like the visual of Sucker Punch. But...that visual has no soul. I SHOULD like the action, cuz it's very well done and crafted...but...it too lacks impact or...literally a punch. It has everything I COULD like of it, aside from cliche of scantily clad women fighting..that's very tired of a cliche. I just don't care about what happens I guess. I want to..but...that Snyder really dropped the ball on getting you into it. From a video and audio standpoint..the film is decked out like crazy, no problems there. Again...it just lacks something inherent in the core of the film that makes me just...not...care. Which is sad cuz w/ action you can usually go above that w/ spectacle but this one went too far maybe.

Saddened I am that some stuff Snyder couldn't add cuz of budget...probably would've made it better. It's not a bad it's just...there.
Old 09-09-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Huh ... what?! Does this mean we'll get a new Special Edition release of The Matrix where the title credits are changed to read "The Wachowski Siblings"?
Why? That film was directed by the Wachowski Brothers. Larry hadn't yet become Lana. Or was your question intended to be funny?
Old 09-09-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sucker Punch is almost a complete failure because there's no sense of risk in any of the action. The women never seem to be in any palpable danger, so there's no drama, and as a result all those vignettes during the "dances" are of no use. Contrast this with Inception, which did a very good job of expressing a sense of risk in the dreamworlds. I say it's almost a complete failure because, while it's incontrovertibly a very bad movie, it's still a valid discussion topic.
Old 09-09-12, 11:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Absolutely. I don't like Sucker Punch. I do, however, like that it exists. Rarely do we ever get to see massive, wildly imaginative epic movies anymore. I almost wish it had done well, just so I could have seen what other loopy and risky movies could have been made in its wake. Perhaps Cloud Atlas will prove a surprise. I hope it does.
Sucker Punch is as wildly imaginative as a degenerate's wet dream. Fuck that movie.
Old 09-09-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Shit, I'm the only one here that sort of likes Sucker Punch. Well, I don't love it so I'm not gonna go full detail but it at least attempts to say something even though what it's saying is all messy. Kind of like Solid Snake's posts. I liked the action scenes and in a world where there are many and far worse movies than this, I think I feel for it because everyone laid a big turd on it. But I also totally understand why everyone hates it. This movie more than any other lately has me questioning my taste. Everyone around me hates it. Friends, family, co workers, the Internet...everyone. It is a rare thing that every group around me agrees. I feel like I'm in AA and finally admitting that I have a problem.
Old 09-09-12, 01:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Solid Snake's posts also read like a degenerate's wet dream.
Old 09-09-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by ChineseCheckers
Supposedly, this movie had gotten a long standing ovation at the Toronto International Film Festival.
Originally Posted by RichC2
But yeah, apparently it had a very long standing ovation at the end.
One should take standing ovations at TIFF "premium" screenings -- which CLOUD ATLAS was with its doubled ticket prices — or regular-priced-but-borderline-premium screenings in key Toronto venues with a huge grain of salt.

Such pictures almost always debut in one of the festival's three most opulent venues: Roy Thompson Hall, The Princess of Wales Theatre, and the Elgin/Wintergarden, overwhelming sights unto themselves. Roy Thompson is a cavernous opera/orchestra-style theatre, while the latter two are more often used throughout the year for the staging of Broadway-style musicals, and both retain their original 1920's opulence after restorative work many years ago.

As such, for A-list screenings at which A-List stars will be in attendance, these posh venues routinely attract a disproportionately large segment of the city's hoi-polloi and wannabe hoi-polloi — dressed-up people desperate to be "seen" almost as badly as the celebrities they'll claim to have "attended with" when they tell of the evenings festivities the next day -- alongside the average-Joe moviegoers who comprise the vast majority of the festival audience at nearly all other screenings. They're usually the first ones to stand up and applaud as the credits roll, which starts the ball rolling whether or not everyone else in the theatre is of a similar opinion.

By way of example, most "premium" (double ticket price) screenings-with-Big-Stars®-in-tow that I've attended in 15 years of fest-going have ended with a standing ovation (particularly the ones at Roy Thompson Hall, where the celebs occupy a very central, very visible seating box where the rest of the house can turn to them and applaud while they bask in a spotlight aimed directly at them), as have several non-premium-screenings-with-big-stars-in-attendance that have been held in these three "upscale" venues. Films in both categories have included: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (the "Beatles musical" that ultimately became critical anathema and a box-office dud), THE MYTH (a Jackie Chan movie, and far from one of his best), THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD (a Korean movie I personally loved but which garnered little theatrical play before heading to DVD in North America, despite modest critical acclaim and impressive box-office back home), CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY (a Michael Moore documentary that triggered the usual love-hate reactions, only not that night in the theatre).

This isn't to say any of these films were inherently "bad" and therefore undeserving of applause or standing ovations (well, applause, at least, which is customary at the majority of TIFF screenings) — I enjoyed them all — it's just to say that a specific combination of venue and the presence of major stars and/or directors to "intro" the film can be overwhelming to many of those in attendance and is a frequently reliable predictor of a standing ovation. Only later does critical reaction, box-office reception and individual viewer reflection reveal the overall worthiness of a picture. I'm sure CLOUD ATLAS will be no exception, but it's telling that its PR-laden TIFF debut was at the Princess of Wales Theatre and many of its powerhouse stars were in attendance.

I'm trying to remember if THE ARTIST evoked a standing ovation last year. It wasn't a double-price premium screening, but it was held at the majestic Elgin/Wintergarden venue. It would be rather amusing if it didn't, all things considered, but then Jean Dujardin was no Tom Hanks or Halle Berry in terms of recognition over here, nor was the director.

That Variety review posted above is promising, but his fear that critics might "kill it in the cradle" seems well-founded.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-09-12 at 01:50 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.