Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movie would you remake?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movie would you remake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: What movie would you remake?

fuck remakes.
Old 04-25-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Well I guess the above points out what a useless thread this is. 1/2 are suppose to be "funny" and the other are "who cares?"
Just trying to have some fun. To be honest, I couldn't think of anything I'd necessarily care to see remade off the top of my head. I will say that I'm not anti-remake though, as there have been quite a few great films that were remakes. Plus, even if they suck, we always have the original.
Old 04-25-12, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by gp1086
Just trying to have some fun. To be honest, I couldn't think of anything I'd necessarily care to see remade off the top of my head. I will say that I'm not anti-remake though, as there have been quite a few great films that were remakes. Plus, even if they suck, we always have the original.
It can work. For example the Bogart The Maltese Falcon was first done in 10 years earlier. It did have Una Merkell and Thelma Todd, but without Bogart...
Old 04-25-12, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
fuck remakes.
The Fly and The Thing would disagree.
Old 04-25-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

and Scarface. But still, fuck remakes.
Old 04-25-12, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chadm
and Scarface. But still, fuck remakes.
I'd disagree. If given the right story and good direction....go ahead. Most of the time..no...but some films...I wouldn't mind being remade.
Old 04-25-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
The Fly and The Thing would disagree.
Chalk up my votes as well for The Departed, Cape Fear, Ocean's Eleven, and True Lies.
Old 04-25-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hero At Large
Old 04-25-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Freaks would be interesting, but I can't imagine getting an actual cast together without a zillion protests, lawsuits, bad publicity, etc. It wouldn't work with CGI.
Old 04-25-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Scanners. I would have Cronenberg direct it again. Modernized, bigger budget, better actors.
Old 04-25-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Suddenly (1954)... it a public domain movie with the starring Frank Sinatra as the villian role.
Old 04-25-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

The original holds up really well, but I think it could be cool to revisit that concept with today's special effects.
Old 04-25-12, 11:07 PM
Banned

....I may not be a fan of that film but I fear it could only get worse if it were done today. Very much so a product of it's time.
Old 04-25-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd love a big budget, proper remake of 'The Final Countdown' that explores the time paradox they faced, not to mention the implications of staying (women, black sailors, etc), and with decent FX.

But Hollywood is so anti-military I seriously doubt they would ever portray the sailors as positively and professional as the original did.
Old 04-25-12, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Traxan
I'd love a big budget, proper remake of 'The Final Countdown' that explores the time paradox they faced, not to mention the implications of staying (women, black sailors, etc), and with decent FX.

But Hollywood is so anti-military I seriously doubt they would ever portray the sailors as positively and professional as the original did.
Now..never seen that film I'm assuming there's no sarcasm in that last sentence. So i'm just focusing on the bold. Michael Bay has shown the military in a very positive manner over the years. So have other films as well. I don't understand under what context you serve to say that comment.
Old 04-25-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Now..never seen that film I'm assuming there's no sarcasm in that last sentence. So i'm just focusing on the bold. Michael Bay has shown the military in a very positive manner over the years. So have other films as well. I don't understand under what context you serve to say that comment.
Really? There have been relatively few pro military films in the last decade, especially compared to the 80's. Back then it was just about the US kicking bad guy ass. Now there always has to be some underlying negativity to war films at least when it comes the the US military.

Act of Valor is a perfect example of how things have changed. That would have been a run of the mill pro military/kick ass war movie in the 80's. Today, it's considered right wing propaganda simply because US soldiers are the good guys/heroes.
Old 04-25-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

Them!

Directed by Zack Snyder. Imagining giant ants attacking in slo-motion.
Old 04-25-12, 11:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Really? There have been relatively few pro military films in the last decade, especially compared to the 80's. Back then it was just about the US kicking bad guy ass. Now there always has to be some underlying negativity to war films at least when it comes the the US military.

Act of Valor is a perfect example of how things have changed. That would have been a run of the mill pro military/kick ass war movie in the 80's. Today, it's considered right wing propaganda simply because US soldiers are the good guys/heroes.
Alright...I dunno about you but whatever you may think I don't think most people hate the soldiers themselves. They may not like people in control of the military but people hating the soldiers themselves is relatively low. I may not like some actions taken on by the military but I sure as hell don't hate the soldier.

Also Black Hawk Down came out in 2001 but that was in a positive light as well. Not without it's own negatives due to the situation itself as well though.

Also Act of Valor had cool action but boring as fuck for anything else. It lacked the charm that the awesomely cheesy and possibly shitty 80s movies you speak of. So you give me a damn good film w/ the army as a focal point? I'll be there. The military itself, the grunts and etc...the little people let's call them, isn't hated. We may say the "military" but it's a huge ass generality that we're actually blaming the ones leading/ordering it but not the guys doing the job itself for the most part (depending on the story).

adding on...who the fuck cares that there is a pro military or anti military film? Let's just hope it's a good film regardless. That's what's important. If it's not? Whip the fucker till it's dead, it deserved it. The problem w/ the stereotype of pro military films is that it's eye rolling and groan worthy of cliches. Much like any sub genre...make it fresh and good. yay, rejoice.
Old 04-26-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aguirre: The Wrath of God.... Directed by McG... Taylor Lautner as Aguirre

Ernest Goes to Camp....Directed by Jim Jarmusch... Ryan Gosling as Ernest

The Last Temptation of Christ.......Directed by Mel Gibson.....Dane Cook as Christ

The Exorcist......Directed by Cher......Kellan Lutz as Father Merrin
Old 04-26-12, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

On a more serious note:

Westworld (1973) - great concept, but the pacing is too slow, the effects are dated, and the suspense could be ramped up big time.

It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947) - I like the comedic situation, but the comedy itself is a little too old-fashioned for my tastes and gets a bit too goofy. I kind of wish John Hughes had tackled this instead of the lamentable Miracle on 34th Street remake. John Candy would have been great as the homeless squatter too.

Forbidden Planet (1956) - it's a bona fide sci-fi classic, but it could be made even better by eliminating the b-movie schlock, the dated effects, and maybe approaching it with a cold, ultra sterile tone (ala 2001: A Space Odyssey).

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) - DVDTalkers are probably quite familiar with this forgotten little gem, but hardly anyone else is. It doesn't really need a remake because of any real short-comings on its part, but more because no one remembers the original and you could do some really interesting things updating the story with today's technology. The title should be changed, however, since it sounds like a bad Sci-Fi Channel movie.

The Stuff (1985) - given all the paranoia with the modern food industry - be it pink slime, trans fats, the obesity epidemic, mad cow disease, ecoli, genetically-altered food, hormones, etc. - this seems like a prime candidate for a remake. Eliminate all the comedy from the original and make it serious and dark as hell.

The Last of Sheila (1973) - What could have been a fantastic take on Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" formula, complete with scathing mockery of Hollywood elites, instead devolves into predictable plot turns and odd shifts in tone. Done more seriously, with more dynamic characters instead of one-dimensional stereotypes, a lot more suspense, and a better twist ending, this could be an awesome cross between The Player and The Usual Suspects.

Falling Down (1993) - I really love the original, but I hate that they villified Michael Douglas' character by having him end up as nothing more than a sick psychopath looking to murder his ex-wife and daughter. I'd like to see this remade without that misguided final judgment of the character.
Old 04-26-12, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,260 Likes on 2,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Good one. I watched this film for the first time about a year ago and I was expecting a large part to focus on the moral conflict of whether they should interfere with the attack on Pearl Harbor or let history play out the way it did. I think there would be a lot of great drama to mine with that idea. Instead we see them shoot down one or two Japanese planes and then return to their time. When I saw the time warp appear again I remember thinking "that's it?!"

I'd like to see a remake of Transformers 2. Actually it wouldn't need to be remade all together I would give it more of a director's cut or "GoldenJCJ cut". There's a decent film in there somewhere, I would just need to edit about 30 minutes of useless crap to find it.
Old 04-26-12, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,483 Likes on 942 Posts

Night of the Hunter. A great movie about children in danger that is forgotten by everyone except old-movie buffs. Make it in color, cast Ed Norton as the preacher, and get boffo box office.
Old 04-26-12, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I'd like to see a remake of Transformers 2. Actually it wouldn't need to be remade all together I would give it more of a director's cut or "GoldenJCJ cut". There's a decent film in there somewhere, I would just need to edit about 30 minutes of useless crap to find it.
You'd still keep the farting and testicles right?
Old 04-26-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 643 Likes on 495 Posts

Masters of the Universe. Keep Lundgren and Langella (or just Langella if the studio wants a younger He-Man) and have it be an action adventure epic that only features Earth in a brief flashback (if at all) to establish that Adam's mother is a human astronaut. Everything else should be in Eternia with scattered bits in Edenia to setup Hordak for a sequel.

Originally Posted by joliom
Falling Down (1993) - I really love the original, but I hate that they villified Michael Douglas' character by having him end up as nothing more than a sick psychopath looking to murder his ex-wife and daughter. I'd like to see this remade without that misguided final judgment of the character.
That's not how I remember it at all. Heck, he wanted Duvall to kill him so Douglas' daughter would inherit the life insurance.
Old 04-26-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

I would love to see some 50's sci-fi films with interesting ideas being remade just to see what they could do with today's special effects:

Kronos
The Monolith Monsters
X-The Unknown
The Quatermass Xperiment
This Island Earth

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.