Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hotel Transylvania -- animated film series -- from Genndy Tartakovsky

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

<iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.html#shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fmovie%2Fhotel-transylvania%2Ftrailers%2Fhotel-transylvania-teaser-trailer-29064795.html&browseCarouselUI=hide&repeat=0&startScreenCarouselUI=hide&vid=29064795"></iframe>

Sony Pictures Animation has released the first domestic trailer for their upcoming Hotel Transylvania -- the studio’s answer to Hollywood’s vampire craze. Sandler voices a friendly version Dracula, who opens a lavish hotel for monsters to relax without fear of human interaction. Troubles arise when an uninvited traveler arrives on the premises.

Hotel Transylvania made headlines when Miley Cyrus, who was originally signed to play the role of Dracula’s daughter, was reportedly dropped from the project and replaced by fellow Disney actress Selena Gomez. Despite playing a key role in the project, Gomez’s character does not appear in the trailer.

The film offers a star-studded vocal cast, including Andy Samberg, Kevin James, Steve Buscemi, Cee Lo Green, Molly Shannon, Fran Drescher, David Spade and David Koechner.

Hotel Transylvania is set to hit theaters on Sept. 28 and is directed by Genndy Tartakovsky.
------------------------------------

Sort of wished I never knew who the voice casting was as I like the character designs and Tartakovsky.
Old 04-25-12, 01:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Hotel Transylvania -- animated film series -- from Genndy Tartakovsky

Adam Sandler sounds a hell of a lot like Steve Carrell doing Gru from Despicable Me. I wish Tartakovsky would do a Samurai Jack movie instead. This looks okay though.
Old 04-25-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

This looks like it might be good. I recognized Kevin James as the second skeleton and Sandler was pretty obvious as Dracula. Who was the human?
Old 04-25-12, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good: Genndy Tartakovsky

The bad: Adam Sandler.

I really want this to be good.
Old 04-25-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be good be because I'm a Powerpuff Girls and Dexter fan, but eh.
Old 04-26-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I saw the title I thought this was gonna be an adaptation of the first book in Chelsea Quinn Yarbo's Saint-Germain series, and I immediately said to myself that they should change the title because it sounds like a kid's comedy.
Old 10-26-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Beginning October 26, all digital showings of HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA in Regal Entertainment Group Cinemas around the country will be preceded with a new traditionally animated short directed by the film’s director, 13-time Emmy nominee (and three-time Emmy winner) Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, Star Wars: Clone Wars), who also animated every key frame of the new short.

Entitled “Goodnight, Mr. Foot,” the short stars none other than the legendary monster Bigfoot, and follows his adventure as he, too, checks in to Dracula’s five-stake resort in search of a little R-and-R, only to find himself faced with an enthusiastic witch-maid, eager to make Mr. Foot’s stay a memorable one.

Genndy Tartakovsky commented, "After we finished HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA I got an itch to animate! Taking inspiration from my favorite directors Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, and Chuck Jones I animated a short cartoon in the traditional 2D style. It was difficult and exhilarating all at once and I hope people will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it."
Old 10-26-12, 08:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought Adam Samberg as Jonathan, was much funnier than Sandler's voice acting. But largely I though the humor was way too much geared to the kids, as an adult I was lightly amused. The 3D was also sort of lame and not well implemented.
Old 03-12-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Hotel Transylvania 2

I was pleasantly surprised by the first one. I'll give the sequel a shot.

Last edited by dex14; 09-28-21 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-12-15, 05:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Hotel Transylvania 2

i managed to skip the first...
Old 03-12-15, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i managed to skip the first...
It's not as bad as you would think. Especially with Sandler. But since Smigel and Tartakovsky worked on it, it's worth giving a chance.
Old 03-12-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish Netflix or AIV or Hulu would put up all of Samurai Jack, on the subject of Tatakovsky.
Old 06-19-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Last edited by dex14; 09-28-21 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-19-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I saw the first one on Starz I believe and found it pretty enjoyable. I'll check the sequel out at some point.
Old 11-16-17, 02:19 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018, D: Tartakovsky)

In Sony Pictures Animation’s Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, join our favorite monster family as they embark on a vacation on a luxury monster cruise ship so Drac can take a summer vacation from providing everyone else's vacation at the hotel. It’s smooth sailing for Drac’s Pack as the monsters indulge in all of the shipboard fun the cruise has to offer, from monster volleyball to exotic excursions, and catching up on their moon tans. But the dream vacation turns into a nightmare when Mavis realizes Drac has fallen for the mysterious captain of the ship, Ericka, who hides a dangerous secret that could destroy all of monsterkind.

Cast: Adam Sandler
Andy Samberg
Selena Gomez
Kevin James
David Spade
Steve Buscemi
Keegan-Michael Key
Molly Shannon
Fran Drescher
Mel Brooks

In theaters on July 13, 2018

Last edited by dex14; 09-28-21 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-16-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018, D: Tartakovsky)

The first two were harmless fun. I would imagine this'll be more of the same.
Old 07-10-18, 10:07 AM

Re: Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018, D: Tartakovsky)

Opens this week. Currently 75% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hot...ummer_vacation
Old 09-28-21, 07:20 AM

Rights sold to Amazon and will be released this week...

Drac and the pack are back, like you’ve never seen them before in Hotel Transylvania: Transformania. Reunite with your favorite monsters for an all-new adventure that presents Drac with his most terrifying task yet. When Van Helsing’s mysterious invention, the “Monsterfication Ray," goes haywire, Drac and his monster pals are all transformed into humans, and Johnny becomes a monster! In their new mismatched bodies, Drac, stripped of his powers, and an exuberant Johnny, loving life as a monster, must team up and race across the globe to find a cure before it’s too late, and before they drive each other crazy. With help from Mavis and the hilariously human Drac Pack, the heat is on to find a way to switch themselves back before their transformations become permanent.

Directed by: Jennifer Kluska and Derek Drymon

Screenplay by: Amos Vernon & Nunzio Randazzo and Genndy Tartakovsky

Story by: Genndy Tartakovsky

Produced by: Alice Dewey Goldstone

Executive Producers:
Selena Gomez
Genndy Tartakovsky
Michelle Murdocca

Cast:
Andy Samberg
Selena Gomez
Kathryn Hahn
Keegan-Michael Key
Steve Buscemi
David Spade
Brian Hull
Asher Blinkoff
Brad Abrell
Fran Drescher
Jim Gaffigan
Molly Shannon
Old 09-28-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Hotel Transylvania -- animated film series -- from Genndy Tartakovsky

I really wish this had not become an Amazon exclusive. I have watched all of the films on Netflix/Cable, and I have probably seen the third film at least 2-3 times (and no I do not have kids, I just find these films to be a fun watch). If Amazon allows a one-off purchase I might take the plunge and rent the film, but if it is one of those exclusives where you have to be a paying Prime member to watch I am out of luck. Oh well, such is life. That is also the reason why I had to give up on The Expanse, as Amazon would not let me purchase the seasons a la carte unless I was paying for Prime (I just get the free shipping as I am linked to my brothers Prime account, and yes he has been paying for Prime for years). I do not do the shady trick of trying to login via other family members credentials so I just move on to watching other content. At least there are so many other options to distract you nowadays.
Old 09-28-21, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Hotel Transylvania -- animated film series -- from Genndy Tartakovsky

FYI, in case it wasn't obvious from the Cast listing above, Adam Sandler and Kevin James are not reprising their voice roles in this film, and the parts have been recast.