Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
37.55%
29.60%
18.05%
7.94%
2.53%
1.81%
1.08%
0.36%
0%
0.36%
0.36%
Avengers Disassemble!
0.36%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Have people proclaimed it's a game changer? It's damn good but not changing the world in terms of filmmaking in the genre. Superman: The Movie and TDK were game changers for sure. TDK for the worst unfortunately cuz studios keep saying "dark like TDK" for whenever they want their property to be "serious" or whatever. I don't think Spider-Man at all changed the field. Good property but..didn't change the genre aside from proving you can go more outlandish than the X-Men, also a game changer in terms of how outlandish you can go, at that time. So maybe in that case yeah...

I'd consider Superman:TM, Iron Man, TDK, Blade, and X-Men as game changers. Don't mind the quality but...it's what they did differently as a property that to further the future in the genre.

Originally Posted by Super X
Yes, but keep in mind
Spoiler:
that cell was designed to contain the Hulk.
true..it's just..well...we didn't get a good look at where they stood in the overall. Also...I guess Loki doesn't teleport? It sure as hell seemed that way w/ how the moved about in Thor. Not talking about the illusions either.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-06-12 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just saw it. I think 4 out of 5 is fair. I'm not a comics guy and only know what I've been shown in the various movies.

I think my biggest complaint would be the final battle scenes with the alien army were just too "video game" for my taste. Not visually, but in tone. Just shooting wave after wave of faceless enemies. I'd like to know more about who and what those things are. They appear to be organic but they have these tehnological enhancements. Perhaps this would be explained in future movies, but for someone who doesn't have a comic background they just seemed uninteresting as an enemy.

Still a great genre film though. I'd probably still rank the original Iron Man ahead of it though.
Old 05-06-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Just saw it. I think 4 out of 5 is fair. I'm not a comics guy and only know what I've been shown in the various movies.

I think my biggest complaint would be the final battle scenes with the alien army were just too "video game" for my taste. Not visually, but in tone. Just shooting wave after wave of faceless enemies. I'd like to know more about who and what those things are. They appear to be organic but they have these tehnological enhancements. Perhaps this would be explained in future movies, but for someone who doesn't have a comic background they just seemed uninteresting as an enemy.

Still a great genre film though. I'd probably still rank the original Iron Man ahead of it though.
I can understand a desire to know more about the aliens, but Loki is really the important enemy. The aliens are just the generic army that he uses to try and take over the world. Now, clearly, we'll probably see more of them in a future film, but for this one, it's just important to know they were backing Loki's play.
Old 05-06-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
true..it's just..well...we didn't get a good look at where they stood in the overall. Also...I guess Loki doesn't teleport? It sure as hell seemed that way w/ how the moved about in Thor. Not talking about the illusions either.
Keep in mind that
Spoiler:
Loki wanted to be captured. It was pisspoor screenwriting that they didn't show he was directly using the spear (instead it seemed like the spear was corrupting Banner and the team all on its own) but Loki didn't want to escape.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I thought the "I'm always angry...that's my secret" was one of the best lines in the movie. That really defined Banner, for me...at least this version of him.

Is it okay to say I like THE AVENGERS but think it's really overrated? It's a really fun popcorn flick, but it certainly doesn't do anything to transcend the comic book movie genre the way Superman: The Movie and The Dark Knight (and in some ways, Spider-Man 2) did before it. It also depends VERY heavily on the audience having seen all the previous Marvel movies. I think it's as much fun as the first Iron Man was...but I don't think it's a "great" film - just a nice piece of entertainment.
What do you mean overrated? No one is claiming this was going to be cerebral filmmaking or try and a life statement. It did what it wanted to do, a giant team up movie, with fun action and quipy dialogue.

I gave it 5 stars because it delivered everything it set out to do, I wasn't looking for a deep and gritty tdk
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by teameck
Whedon and Penn did a remarkable job in getting Stark to sound like Stark, Fury like Fury, Thor like Thor-- and brought a bit more to Cap, Scarlet Witch, and the Hulk than what we saw of them previously. I mean, the comics themselves can't often get the tone and sound of characters "right" when they switch creative teams, so it's a nice achievement.
Johansson or Black Widow not ...... Wanda

Old 05-06-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd consider Superman:TM, Iron Man, TDK, Blade, and X-Men as game changers. Don't mind the quality but...it's what they did differently as a property that to further the future in the genre.
What did Iron Man do to change anything?
Old 05-06-12, 06:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have people proclaimed it's a game changer? It's damn good but not changing the world in terms of filmmaking in the genre. Superman: The Movie and TDK were game changers for sure. TDK for the worst unfortunately cuz studios keep saying "dark like TDK" for whenever they want their property to be "serious" or whatever. I don't think Spider-Man at all changed the field. Good property but..didn't change the genre aside from proving you can go more outlandish than the X-Men, also a game changer in terms of how outlandish you can go, at that time. So maybe in that case yeah...

Are you kidding? This is a huge deal for comic book films. Can you name another big movie with a team of disparate characters from different properties? This isn't the X-Men, which are a team to begin with. And the way Marvel went about it, giving each character his own film, then bringing them together, that's never been done before. I'd say this is the biggest shake up in comic films since Superman: TMP.

Last edited by Supermallet; 05-06-12 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

If anything, Batman Begins was more of the "game changer" film. Once that came out, everyone was like, "Now that's how you make a superhero film."
Old 05-06-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
If anything, Batman Begins was more of the "game changer" film. Once that came out, everyone was like, "Now that's how you make a superhero film."
Not everyone.
Old 05-06-12, 06:36 PM
Banned

Yeah, and after watching the film I'm glad it isn't the Skrulls (. The Skrulls are way to damn rich as characters. Just like Wheadon said about explaining the shapeshifting etc. It'd be too much for this film. I'm glad it was the Chitauri (albiet...only in name..but who gives a fuck?)
Old 05-06-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that Avengers is a game changer in taking not only the characters from other movies but the actors who made them popular and successfully integrating them into a common story where each is a major player in the story. While common in comics, it's not something that's generally seen in the movies.
Old 05-06-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, and after watching the film I'm glad it isn't the Skrulls (. The Skrulls are way to damn rich as characters. Just like Wheadon said about explaining the shapeshifting etc. It'd be too much for this film. I'm glad it was the Chitauri (albiet...only in name..but who gives a fuck?)
The mouth breathers.
Old 05-06-12, 06:39 PM
Banned by request

I think we should probably define "game changer" in this case. In my mind, there are only three "game changer" movies in the comic book world:

Superman: The Motion Picture for showing the world you could make a superhero movie that was a popular success and didn't feel hokey.

Spider-Man for kicking off the current wave of superhero films. X-Men preceded it, but it wasn't the massive hit that Spider-Man was. Before Spider-Man, superhero films were a risk. After, they were gold.

The Avengers for changing the dynamics of what a comic book movie could be. Now superhero movies are more like superhero comics.

All the other movies mentioned may have affected the kind of stories told in superhero films, or the approach that filmmakers took, but none of them (not even The Dark Knight) had the kind of long-lasting impact that the first two had and I predict The Avengers will also have.
Old 05-06-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As far as being a game changer, Avengers succeeds in being the best team-up film to date, even better than all of the X-Men films put together. I'd rank Avengers and X-Men First Class as the best team films to date. Avengers is just on a much bigger scale.
Old 05-06-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Super X
I would say that Avengers is a game changer in taking not only the characters from other movies but the actors who made them popular and successfully integrating them into a common story where each is a major player in the story. While common in comics, it's not something that's generally seen in the movies.
Agreed with this, this could have fallen apart and not work, but only did it not just work, it felt right
Old 05-06-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So when do we start talking about new team members for avengers 2?
Old 05-06-12, 06:44 PM
Banned by request

Bring Coulson back as The Vision.
Old 05-06-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

let's not forget that Wheadon cut out a lot. Like what? 30-40mins of stuff?
The press junket for “The Avengers” happened this past weekend and director Joss Whedon talked about how much of the film he had to cut and what scenes were going to make the DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Whedon said that at least 30 minutes of the film was taken out to help keep the pacing the film moving at a brisk pace. Whedon elaborates:

"It’s some character stuff but it was more ancillary. Marvel never wanted to take the texture out of the movie, the little moments between people. We wanted, obviously, to streamline it and make it not so long that it became self-indulgent… but the thing I loved was there were so many little moments that I thought, 'They’re going to make me squeeze this out,' and they never did. Once we had the structure down, they really wanted it to breathe and for these things to be as textured as they could be."

Some of the scenes cut include a scene with Steve Rogers in his apartment and a scene between Steve and Peggy in the present. I can't wait to see these scenes, but first I'll be checking out The Avengers six more times at my local AMC theatre when it opens on May 4th.

Source: Dark Horizons
Old 05-06-12, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet

but we must have .....

and

Old 05-06-12, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Keep in mind that
Spoiler:
Loki wanted to be captured. It was pisspoor screenwriting that they didn't show he was directly using the spear (instead it seemed like the spear was corrupting Banner and the team all on its own) but Loki didn't want to escape.
I didn't feel that from the spear. I felt that it was Banner just getting pissed and just got the spear.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's pretty much w/ every awesome new superhero film though...
Old 05-06-12, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm not going to lie..but...that was my first thought as well w/ him.
Old 05-06-12, 06:53 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Keep in mind that
Spoiler:
I don't think it's piss-poor screenwriting. Either Loki is controlling the spear, which is making everyone argumentative, or the spear is doing it on its own, a fact Loki would have known in advance. It's two different ways of getting to the same place.
Old 05-06-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The spear thing reminded me
Spoiler:
of LOTR, when the Ring begins to corrupt the counsel and Fellowship.
Old 05-06-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not going to lie..but...that was my first thought as well w/ him.
Explain this please

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.