Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
37.55%
29.60%
18.05%
7.94%
2.53%
1.81%
1.08%
0.36%
0%
0.36%
0.36%
Avengers Disassemble!
0.36%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Looks like $18.7 million for midnight. That's a record for a super hero movie and #8 all-time. I think $150 million is a safe guess, but more is possible. One of my theaters here has 19 showings.
Boxoffice predicted 172, BOM had 165
Old 05-04-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I knew there was a scene after the credits so I went to the bathroom thinking I'd make it back in time for the scene (didn't), so can someone spoiler it for me?
Just go back a page or two and about a dozen people have all chimed in on it.
Old 05-04-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the movie, but didn't love it. I would give it an enthusiastic 3.5 stars.

I felt like the movie dragged in stretches, but I did feel like the characters all got their fair share of screen time. Loki as a threat worked well, but that character, with his videogame army, lacked any sense of real threat. If anything, the Hulk was treated as the scariest character in this movie. For my money, Iron Man 1 is still the best Marvel movie, but it is a feat and a half that this Avengers movie came together so well and wasn't a complete mess.

But coming out of it all I want now is a Mark Ruffalo Hulk movie. I LOVED how they treated Hulk/Bruce Banner in this, and feel like there is still stuff to say with that character as an individual movie, so I hope I get that. I actually want that more than another Avengers movie.

Also, I was not mad at the ScarJo butt shots. That woman...damn.
Old 05-04-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the Marvel execs stated recently that the feedback they get from the Hulk, along with merchandise sales, etc. will determine whether or not they revisit another standalone film. But if they get enough positive support from all of that, then 2015 might be when we see a Ruffalo version. He was on Jimmy Fallon this week promoting the movie and had mentioned Marvel was hesitant to do another Hulk movie.

But it sounds like they've done a great job with the character this time. I'd like to see another film.
Old 05-04-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they do another Hulk, it needs to be vastly different from the last two. I don't know the character well enough to say how, but it needs to be... different.

Also, almost forgot - Harry Dean Stanton! Great to see him pop up in a minor role.
Old 05-04-12, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just saw the film. FUCKING AWESOME.

classic superhero team plot....and it works in Live Action. Very funny as well. Just worked like crazy. Biggest surprise in the whole film was Harry Dean Stanton actually. It was a lot fun. Just very surprised. Very surprised at how the drama felt well...real.

my only complaint...which isn't a bad thing..it's just a personal thing:
Spoiler:
Hulk didn't really speak. How fucking hard is it for him to just talk like in the comics?!

I did love the 3rd act. Was just a lot of fun and great humor.
Old 05-04-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Harry Dean Stanton!? Now, I wanna see it.

(Now, why isn't he in EXPENDABLES 2? He could take the Mickey Rourke role!)
Old 05-04-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

DAmnn I havent' seen it yet, I but knew it!, once i heard Ruffalo was gonna be Hulk, I knew he would be perfect for it. I might have said it here before...
Old 05-04-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
I'm pretty disappointed Samuel L. Jackson went this route. I know he is a fanboy himself in many ways, but I would've thought something this juvenile was below him...and for a movie that doesn't even need the press.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1475237.html
I've met Sam Jackson before. I was really excited to see him because I enjoyed his movies. It was just him and his friend walking by, no one else. I told him I loved his work and asked for a picture. He cussed me out and told his friend he doesn't get respect from strangers and kept on bitching.

I was really surprised because I thought he'd be one of the coolest celebs, turns out he's a diva. Sure, people are going to say that's what I get for asking for a pic but there wasn't anybody around and he could've politely said no.
Old 05-04-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
I've met Sam Jackson before. I was really excited to see him because I enjoyed his movies. It was just him and his friend walking by, no one else. I told him I loved his work and asked for a picture. He cussed me out and told his friend he doesn't get respect from strangers and kept on bitching.

I was really surprised because I thought he'd be one of the coolest celebs, turns out he's a diva. Sure, people are going to say that's what I get for asking for a pic but there wasn't anybody around and he could've politely said no.
That's sad to hear. Then again, any man that would talk enthusiastically about a movie like Attack of Clones obviously isn't as cool as he thinks.
Old 05-04-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

The house was packed at the showing I went to this afternoon. There were plenty of kids with their parents. Since playing hooky is wrong, I'm guessing these tykes are all home schooled.

Really enjoyed it, but not quite as much as I was hoping. I felt the invasion plot was a bit "meh", especially since I had no knowledge of these guys from the comics. Our heroes were all on point and there were some priceless exchanges between them, but by the end I couldn't help but feel that they functioned more as a unit then they did as friends. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be, but hopefully the inner relationships of the team will get juicer in the sequel. I know Whedon can build on this and make it even better if he's given the chance. Still, good summer entertainment.

Speaking of Whedon, I had the displeasure of having an extremely excited fangirl and her husband sitting in the row in front of me. She applauded loudly when his credit came on screen. I adore the man's work and understood her enthusiasm. However, I felt tempted to kick the back of her chair because she had been doing the same exact thing during every other line throughout the entire f*ing movie.
"Flying monkeys. I get that reference." *applause*
"We have a Hulk." *applause*
"Thank you for your cooperation." *applause*
Literally, I wanted to tell her to cut that shit out. It's one thing to get into the spirit of a film with an audience (Hulk flinging Loki around like a rag doll brought down the house), but this chick was just being inconsiderate and really took me out of the movie.

By the way, did anyone else notice little Ashley Johnson from Growning Pains all grown up as the lady on TV praising Captain America.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-04-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 04:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
I'm pretty disappointed Samuel L. Jackson went this route. I know he is a fanboy himself in many ways, but I would've thought something this juvenile was below him...and for a movie that doesn't even need the press.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1475237.html
"Mace Windu is trying to take the food off our table."

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Biggest surprise in the whole film was Harry Dean Stanton actually.
"Son, you got a condition."
Old 05-04-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joe_b
By the way, did anyone else notice little Ashley Johnson from Growning Pains all grown up as the lady on TV praising Captain America.
I did!
Old 05-04-12, 05:20 PM

I really liked it. Probably 4.5 stars.

- great distribution of screentime. I thought black widow was going to have nothing to do, but even she had some cool scenes.
- very funny. One-liners were flowing, but not roll-your-eyes type. Of course Downey was great, he has owned that role. But even the stoic guys had some good ones (Thor - "he's adopted"; Cap - "I got that reference" both got big laughs from me and the audience), and hulk had some very good physical comedy moments.
- speaking of hulk, he stole the show. Ruffalo was great, but the hulk action sequences and effects (and humor as mentioned above) were tremendous. I'm debating on whether I want a full ruffalo hulk movie, though. I felt he worked well because it was smaller doses and he had other characters to play off of.
- Loki was great again. Mousy guy, but he pulls off ominous well.
- Loved how they did Hawkeye's quiver - not a huge enough comic fan to know if that was invented for the movie or not, but the tech was cool.
- weakest part of the movie was Sam Jackson. His delivery is awkward at times. Sam J. Being Sam J.
- love agent coulson.
- I never had a chance to see the cap movie, so let me say that I loved Evans as cap. That has the potential to be a boring character, but he plays him with a nobility (and slight touch of fish-out-of-water) that exudes Cap.

I'll probably think of other things to comment on, but that's my initial report.

And dammit I missed the second post-credit scene.
Old 05-04-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I always avoid NYT reviews because they invariably have a spoiler or two.
Old 05-04-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
I wouldn't say you were out of line. If he was eating in a restaurant, sure. But it's the price of fame. Sucks to hear he's like that, but it doesn't really surprise me.

BTW, I do find Sam Jackson pretty damn wooden as Nick Fury. Almost as stiff as his portrayal of Mace Windu. He just seems out of his depth when playing stoic hero roles.
Old 05-04-12, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
BTW, I do find Sam Jackson pretty damn wooden as Nick Fury. Almost as stiff as his portrayal of Mace Windu. He just seems out of his depth when playing stoic hero roles.
Agree completely - I commented similarly about 2 posts above yours.
Old 05-04-12, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I tend to notice a lot of the "upper crust" critics from New York tend to give negative reviews to a lot of studio fare. I used to subscribe to the New Yorker and recollect that critic giving negative reviews to both the first Iron Man and The Dark Knight. I cannot help but wonder if that is their true opinion, or if they are trying to write to whom they feel are their readers.
They tend to be grown-ups with a modicum of sophistication.
Old 05-04-12, 06:08 PM
Banned

Grown-ups with a modicum of sophistication tend to be boring as hell. Reading The Wall Street Journal is a fun time for them. They wouldn't know how to have fun if it came up and bit them on the ass.
Old 05-04-12, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Grown-ups with a modicum of sophistication tend to be boring as hell. Reading The Wall Street Journal is a fun time for them. They wouldn't know how to have fun if it came up and bit them on the ass.
You forgot the hookers and blow.

I guess you're right, better to be a man-child forever.
Old 05-04-12, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Strevlac
You forgot the hookers and blow.

I guess you're right, better to be a man-child forever.

Just because you read comics as an adult doesn't mean you are an immature man-child. You can still be a comic-reading adult and have a solid career and responsibilities.
Old 05-04-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Loved it. Only issues I had were a bit of pacing problems during the non-action moments in the middle act and, regarding the climax,
Spoiler:
the overused "Kill-the-mothership-and-everything-will-shut-down" solution (I just would've been fine with closing the portal)

Hulk was certainly fun, but I actually wanted him to be more mindless and to not realize (At least, to some extent) that he had allies.

No other complaints whatsoever.
Loved the character introductions.
Loved Tony's lines (Especially towards Thor)
Loved Ruffalo's Banner (Couldn't be more happier for the continuing positive feedback he's getting) and more was given to Hawkeye and Widow than I expected.
Cap and Loki REALLY got much more love from me here than in their last appearances in previous Marvel movies....Having said that, I might as well throw Widow in there too.

And regarding my fanboy moments:
Loved the image of the bloody trading cards
Seeing/Hearing Cap, as team leader, giving instructions to civilians,cops,and Teammates

Bummer that I wasn't able to spot the ever lovely Jenny Agutter in this. When her name popped up at the end credits, I let out an audible, "Huh?". Come to find out she played one of those council members---Hidden in the dark. (At least Powers Booth got some light)

Lastly, though this is only the 3rd 3-D movie I've seen (All 3 have been post-converted, BTW) this is easily the best 3-D job I've yet to experience in a theater (Just for the last half hour alone)

Can't wait to own this sucker!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-04-12 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It was also great to see Powers Boothe as one of the mysterious council members.
Old 05-04-12, 06:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I saw Jenny Agutter's name in the credits I knew she had to be one of the council members. It was the only thing that made sense.
Old 05-04-12, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really loved it. It was even more fun than I was expecting it to be. I wish Whedon would have gotten to direct his Batman after seeing this. Perhaps they wouldn't be such shitty movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.