Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
37.55%
29.60%
18.05%
7.94%
2.53%
1.81%
1.08%
0.36%
0%
0.36%
0.36%
Avengers Disassemble!
0.36%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Old 05-06-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Stark also called Nighthawk Legolas didn't he? I thought that was just as funny as Point Break. I laughed out loud numerous times during this movie. Really good mix of comedy, seriousness and action. That's something the Transformers movies fail miserably at. The action scenes in Tansformers are almost unparalleled but the comedic stuff is just a joke. Not really sure why I'm comparing Transformers to the Avengers but I guess I'm just saying the Avengers mixed it up really well.
Hawkeye
Old 05-06-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

9 out of 10 for me. While THE AVENGERS doesnt tread any new ground and tells a very simplistic story, it does so with style, verve, wit and energy. If it suffers from a slightly bloated and uneven midsection, it pays of well as the action kicks into high gear by the film's end. An incredibly good show indeed.
Old 05-06-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by musick
Hawkeye
Oops. Sorry. I'm trying. Never knew that character existed before I saw Thor a week ago. Can't remember if anybody ever said his name in Thor. Isn't Hawkeye a GI Joe character?
Old 05-06-12, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Isn't Hawkeye a GI Joe character?
Just Hawk (or General Hawk) in GI Joe.
Old 05-06-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

No, he's a character in MASH.

Or maybe in Last of the Mohicans. I forget which.
Old 05-06-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops. Sorry. I'm trying. Never knew that character existed before I saw Thor a week ago. Can't remember if anybody ever said his name in Thor. Isn't Hawkeye a GI Joe character?
Old 05-06-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Old 05-06-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Ah, good ol' Natty Bumpo.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't think it's piss-poor screenwriting. Either Loki is controlling the spear, which is making everyone argumentative, or the spear is doing it on its own, a fact Loki would have known in advance. It's two different ways of getting to the same place.
Yes but it was never made clear which was actually happening. Then again, Loki's plan wasn't all that clear anyway since the Avengers weren't really a team 'til he tipped his hand.
Spoiler:
Hell, after he got that element he needed, he could have had Hawkeye and Selvig finish the machine and bring in the Chitauri. I get that he was using himself as a decoy but his plan was rather poorly thought out despite how thought out it may have seemed.

Whedon nailed the character interactions and dialogue but I felt the actual plot lacking (and quite unfocused). It was similar to Captain America in that regard. It was fun to see the characters brought to life but the actual story was a big ol' pile of "meh".

That said, I do hope Whedon sticks around to write and direct the sequel, since he clearly understands the characters themselves. I just hope he adds a story worth investing in.
Old 05-06-12, 10:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Film was fine, but certainly not OMFG THE BEST MOVIE EVAR! that some are raving about here.

Plot question that I'm sure was brought up earlier in the thread, but it's too hard to swim through everything: at the end of Thor, we see the Stellan Skarsgεrd get hired by S.H.I.E.L.D. -- but it's really Loki in disguise! But they completely disregarded that for this film. Is there an "official" explanation for the retcon?
Old 05-06-12, 10:14 PM

Received 40 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=musick;11221066]Johansson or Black Widow not ...... Wanda

Whoops. Black Widow, of course.

And I was so careful to try to get my post right...

Guess I'll just slink back in the corner and continue lurking...
Old 05-06-12, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for those of you that has seen this movie in 3d. Is it worth watching in 3d ?
Old 05-06-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Film was fine, but certainly not OMFG THE BEST MOVIE EVAR! that some are raving about here.

Plot question that I'm sure was brought up earlier in the thread, but it's too hard to swim through everything: at the end of Thor, we see the Stellan Skarsgεrd get hired by S.H.I.E.L.D. -- but it's really Loki in disguise! But they completely disregarded that for this film. Is there an "official" explanation for the retcon?
Actually, the implication was that Loki was influencing him rather than he was Loki in disguiise. But, regardless of the intent in that scene, it was completely ignored in The Avengers. Perhaps that's part of the 30 minutes worth of deleted scenes that Whedon mentioned. Things may have been lost or muddied in the effort to streamline the movie.

Originally Posted by philly1981
for those of you that has seen this movie in 3d. Is it worth watching in 3d ?
It looked nice in 3D (especially considering it was a conversion) but nothing necessary to enjoy the flick.
Old 05-06-12, 10:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Yes but it was never made clear which was actually happening. Then again, Loki's plan wasn't all that clear anyway since the Avengers weren't really a team 'til he tipped his hand.
Spoiler:
Hell, after he got that element he needed, he could have had Hawkeye and Selvig finish the machine and bring in the Chitauri. I get that he was using himself as a decoy but his plan was rather poorly thought out despite how thought out it may have seemed.
Loki had several reasons to get captured:

1. Distracts the team from finding the group who are working on the portal device.

2. Gets the spear on board the Helicarrier, which exerts influence on the group (especially Banner) and also transmits the location of the Helicarrier to his agents (there's a readout of the spear in the vehicle Hawkeye uses to attack the Helicarrier)

3. Once the attack takes place, it's meant to disorient and demotivate the group, who Loki knows will defend the earth at full strength otherwise.

The problem is that Loki underestimates the Avengers and their abilities. The plan itself is sound, but ultimately isn't enough to overcome the ability of those people to survive and work together as a team.
Old 05-06-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the Tesseract was activated as a doorway by Selvig and that was Loki's doing.
Old 05-06-12, 10:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as the scene at the end of Thor, I always took that to be Loki projecting himself into our world (which he proved he could do earlier in the film when he appeared to Thor) and exerting some amount of infuence on Selvig to get him to start working on the Tesseract, presumably so he (Loki) could do exactly what he does in this movie.
Old 05-06-12, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
No, I get it. And yeah..that was pretty funny. I'd just...never heard it called that. Didn't even think it had a name.
No worries - the description just fit. I haven't seen it formally referenced like that either. I just liked the sound of it.
Old 05-06-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Just finished seeing it again (in 3D this time.). One question though: How was Selvig able to install the safety if he was under Loki's control? Also how did he escape the control on the roof?

And I like the jump laugh term. Don't let tvtropes get their hands on it!
Old 05-06-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Selvig escaped control the same way hawkeye did. He was simply knocked unconscious. They established that earlier when hawkeye asks widow how she "cured" him. A little simple for me, but it's what was established.

Not sure on his ability to install the safety.
Old 05-06-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Selvig escaped control the same way hawkeye did. He was simply knocked unconscious. They established that earlier when hawkeye asks widow how she "cured" him.

Not sure on his ability to install the safety.
I was confused about that as well. Makes sense now.
Old 05-06-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I've seen plenty of movies in my life and this has now become my favorite. I don't think it's fair to act like it's all some sort of fanboy knee-jerk reaction. The movie still has a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is far better than a lot of movies ever get.

It's well-written, well-acted, well-directed, funny, dramatic and entertaining as hell to watch. I stand by my review.

I never took that scene to mean he was Loki in disguise. But that Loki had somehow found a connection to Selvig after falling from Asgard.

Here's what Wikipedia says (I know, not official but it's there):

In a post-credits scene, Selvig has been taken to a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility, where Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) opens a briefcase and asks him to study a mysterious object, which Fury says may hold untold power. An invisible Loki prompts Selvig to agree, which Selvig does.
Old 05-06-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

I really liked The Avengers. It was everything I expected and everything I hoped for all rolled into one huge package. Whedon's script and direction were excellent - the wit of the dialogue was sharp and he just nailed the characters.

It was a fun movie - probably the most fun of any movie yet to come this summer.

I can't wait for The Avengers 2.
Old 05-06-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't think it's piss-poor screenwriting. Either Loki is controlling the spear, which is making everyone argumentative, or the spear is doing it on its own, a fact Loki would have known in advance. It's two different ways of getting to the same place.
My theory is that the little shiny thing in the spear just so happens to be one of the Infinity Gems, specifically the Mind Gem; which explains how he took over people's minds with it and was then making them argumentative and getting Banner angry. Thanos' appearance makes it more of a possibility. [/nerd]

Last edited by slop101; 05-06-12 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Can anyone explain to me why Loki and Hawkeye needed that retina scan? I must have really missed something there.
Old 05-07-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Can anyone explain to me why Loki and Hawkeye needed that retina scan? I must have really missed something there.
I was a bit fuzzy on that part as well. The Wikipedia summary mentions Loki needed access to iridium to stabalize the Tesseract's power, so I guess that guy's eyeball gave them access to it.
Old 05-07-12, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He was like a German diplomat or something wasn't he?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.