Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movies do you judge people by?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movies do you judge people by?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What movies do you judge people by?

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
FWIW, I had a decent conversation going with a divorcee in her early 40s who had a real MILF vibe going, until I mentioned I thought the Twilight movies were stupid. She said she thought I was missing the point of some good movies, I said they weren't for me. We finished our drinks and left. I'm not going to say I think those movies are good just to screw someone.
I give you credit there. The mind won in the war between penis and brain.
Old 04-20-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
FWIW, I had a decent conversation going with a divorcee in her early 40s who had a real MILF vibe going, until I mentioned I thought the Twilight movies were stupid. She said she thought I was missing the point of some good movies, I said they weren't for me. We finished our drinks and left. I'm not going to say I think those movies are good just to screw someone.
After thinking this through for a good 30minutes i have arrived at the conclusion that I can only consider this a FAIL!
Old 04-21-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by wd40cloud
Anyone who tells me that don't see any fault with what George Lucas has done
Fixed.
Old 04-21-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kung Pow... for some reason, this movie just strikes my funny bone in a major way. I don't fault anybody for not liking it, but the day I find somebody who appreciates it as much as I do, we're going to have a "did we just become best friends?" moment like in Step Brothers.

Idiocracy is another one.
Old 04-21-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't judge people for movies they like or dislike, but I generally judge people based on how or why they like or dislike movies. I have no patience for fanboys or people who cannot rationally discuss a movie. If you cannot rationally explain why you like or dislike a movie, I don't really give a shit about nor do I want to hear you talk about your like or dislike of that movie.

There is a special level of dislike for the mindless contrarian though. We all know that person, they hate on the godfather, Kubrick, and every critically acclaimed film just because and if you try to push them on their opinion they just keep shouting overrated or something.
Old 04-21-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
I don't judge people for movies they like or dislike, but I generally judge people based on how or why they like or dislike movies. I have no patience for fanboys or people who cannot rationally discuss a movie. If you cannot rationally explain why you like or dislike a movie, I don't really give a shit about nor do I want to hear you talk about your like or dislike of that movie.

There is a special level of dislike for the mindless contrarian though. We all know that person, they hate on the godfather, Kubrick, and every critically acclaimed film just because and if you try to push them on their opinion they just keep shouting overrated or something.
Armond White?
Old 05-14-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pretty much. If a co-worker is raving about the latest Sandler flick I won't walk away, but I will take their recommendations with a grain of salt from then on.
So, I had some neighbors over on Saturday and they mentioned they picked up a couple movies to watch, so obviously I ask which ones. "We got the Muppets, for the kids" to which I gave a thumbs up to. Then she mentions the second, Jack & Jill because she loves Adam Sandler. I nodded and changed the subject.
Old 05-14-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Paranormal Activity
Twilight

If you like these then I don't like you.
Old 05-14-12, 06:40 PM

I am aware that every one has different tastes in films but if a person uses "cerebral" to discribe The Dark Knight or compares it to Citizen Kane and The Godfather I don't want to hear their opinion on anything.
Old 05-14-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Kung Pow... for some reason, this movie just strikes my funny bone in a major way. I don't fault anybody for not liking it, but the day I find somebody who appreciates it as much as I do, we're going to have a "did we just become best friends?" moment like in Step Brothers.

Idiocracy is another one.
I can't tell you how many times we watched Kung Pow in college. Had some pretty good drinking games with it as well.
Old 05-14-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone who smirks or rolls their eyes at "Lone Wolf McQuade", instead of watching with fist-clenched, jaw-gritted rapt awe is someone I don't want to meet.
Old 05-14-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I enjoy just about all movies.

There's a subset of what I call 'douchebag movies' that really irritates me. They're usually comedy or action movies that are based around unlikeable douchebags. Movies where the filmmakers forget that the protagonists aren't supposed to be jerks; they need to have SOME redeeming likeability. The bad guys are supposed to be the jerks (see Die Hard, Robocop, Aliens, True Lies, Kingpin). For some reason, I give Bad Boys II an easy pass. I turn a blind eye to the Fast and Furious movies. I'll include movies like The Hangover, American Pie movies, Dane Cook movies.